Johnathan Ragoo commits

If you watch his video on ESPN's recruiting link...boy oh boy does he ever need a lot of work. A good athlete to groom for a few years before he sees the field. Definite red-shirt.

If you watch his video on ESPN's recruiting link...boy oh boy does he ever need a lot of work. A good athlete to groom for a few years before he sees the field. Definite red-shirt.
Yep, he's going to need some time, you can't teach that type of size though. In Tim Davis I trust.

So did he have a Miami offer? Rivals says yes, but Scout says no? I would have a hard time believing a Miami area kid turned down the Canes for us? Not because it would be a bad persay, but because it wouldn't happen much. If he didn't, it looks like we are his only offer?

His measurables are awesome, hopefully strength and conditioning and the coaching staff get a hold of him and work him into his potential!!! Welcome aboard!!!

I think this is a big get for us. Ya he hasn't played a lot of football, but he's athletic and MASSIVE, can't teach that.

Ragoo

I'd much rather have a guy like this as a Freshman than a Juco (reference: Wills).

I'm not sure if I'm just totally misjudging his videos but he looks REALLY slow. He gets beat off the edge a whole lot and looks completely lost whenever he is pass defending. He just sits there and does nothing about half the time. But, truthfully, if he can lose like 30 pounds and get some good coaching I think he could turn out to be a pretty decent o-lineman.

Welcome aboard Jon

I've read a couple of different things on Jon over the past few hours that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. On the ESPN link provided on a different page than the first one that comes up Jon claims a Miami offer and had them in the lead at one point because they were the only offer he had. Also read he scored a 1200 on his SAT and has only been playing football for 2 years. Seem like a project but he will have time to develop.

scout says his offers were from Minnesota and Hampton. We have now gotten recruits over portland state and hampton in recent weeks.

I like this get. We've recruited a bunch of supposed tackles in the last year, but it looks he is a "true" guard. I don't mind a little heaviness here. With the size we've recruited (a pre-req seems to be every O-Lineman has to be 6'5 plus), we're going to need some tall quarterbacks (Gray 6'4, Alipate 6'4 - seem about right).

I'd be more worried about another "project" tackle; of course any of these other recruits could move to guard, but I like getting a big guy like this and redshirting him (per pede0915)

Jon did not have a Miami offer. Rivals is rarely wrong, but in this case they were. Miami was looking, but never offered, this confirmed by someone I know who scouts for the team.

That said, it's still a nice committ. We've got the scholarships to take a flyer on a big guy like Ragoo.

scout says his offers were from Minnesota and Hampton. We have now gotten recruits over portland state and hampton in recent weeks.

Rivals says he had an offer from Miami. Also, just because some players don't have a lot of offers right now doesn't mean they wouldn't have gotten more later on. There's still a lot of time left in the recruiting process and not all offers have been made.

He runs the 40-yard dash in 6.19 seconds. If he ends up at guard, there go the pulling plays. LOL.

If he plays inside, he should be able to knock some guys around.

This is what I like seeing. With lines, you shouldn't re-build as much as you re-load. Get some big athletic guys who are ready to go as juniors and keep slotting them in.

yes he did have a Miami offer. go back and read about it on Rivals. so that would mean we beat out portland state, hampton and miami. i like this commit. he is a project but i think with a little seasoning we could end up being a big time guard for this team

I believe he did have a miami offer. Also, I have a close personal almost-brother-like source that scouts for USC said they were close to offering. See, I can do it too.

I believe he did have a miami offer. Also, I have a close personal almost-brother-like source that scouts for USC said they were close to offering. See, I can do it too.
*Shrug*

Believe it or not, doesn't really matter. I share what I hear and know.

But, if you want to look at it from another angle, why would Ragoo in his most recent interview not even mention Miami but go on about how he wanted an offer from Florida? How many players from Miami turn down a Miami offer, let alone for Minnesota? It happens, but it seems odd that he wouldn't even mention or consider Miami when his other offers were from Hampton and Portland State. Why wouldn't UCF offer? Or South Florida? Seems like a hell of a jump to make.

Things get mixed up in recruiting, maybe it was pulled, I dunno, but as of 3 weeks ago he did not have a standing offer from Miami.

Nice get here with another big guy. Welcome to the squad Ragoo!

What ever it was, it was in the spring, Jonathan claimed that he had an offer in April. It was likely some sort of miscommunication of a conditional offer. Miami did have some interest at one time but the miscommunication likely created some bad blood. As it is he's fully qualified academically and well regarded by the recruiting gurus in the local papers down there. I say welcome to Gopher Nation Jonathan.

You know what, I don't care. He's a 3* recruit and large. He's a good get even if he never cracks the starting lineup. I've had my eye on this recruit since he first popped up on our lists. I'm very happy to have him.

One more kid to strengthen the recruiting pipeline, and one more big body to raise the level of physical play on the practice field.

6'7 is really tall for a guard, I would guess the coaches hope he sheds some weight and become a nice RT in a few years. I don't see the issue with him needing "time". Olineman should not play Big Ten football as a true freshman or even as a redshirt freshman unless their is an emergency. Where can this guy be 3 years from now? He seems like a "boom or bust" type with the bonus being that he is a good student so he should help with the team gpa, etc, and not hurt the "U" if he decides to transfer.

ESPN says this kid has good hands and feet, which at his size tells me he could be a good one after a couple years in our conditioning program.

When I asked Johnathan from which schools he had scholarship offers he said Hampton and Miami, so unless he was lying, which I do not believe, he does indeed have a Miami offer.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/881360.html

EDIT: Lest anyone think I was mistaken, he said "Hampton and UM" I asked him to clarify and he said Miami.

Top Bottom