John Shipley: Tracy Claeys has to go; this isn’t about X’s and O’s

Never been more proud of your football team for boycotting the suspensionsame of 5+ players being accused of sexual assault? Don't think a coach should ever publicly support a boycott that would cost the college/university millions especially with an issue as controversial as this one.

The AD's and Prez actions will actually cost the U many millions. AP sportsguy's article exposes how scared and self-serving those two were, offering a reinstatement that they had no authority to offer.

Boycott cost the U millions? Do you even know how the bowl money works in the B1G? Clearly not. A little research before you spout off might be beneficial.

The president elect doesn't have to be accountable for his tweets, so why should our coach

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Never been more proud of your football team for boycotting the suspensionsame of 5+ players being accused of sexual assault? Don't think a coach should ever publicly support a boycott that would cost the college/university millions especially with an issue as controversial as this one.
Claeys said:
"Have never been more proud of our kids. I respect their rights & support their effort to make a better world!"

You interpret it with a personal prejudice, even though Claeys never said what you are saying. Your comment is an example of the shoddy journalism being done by the media.

the Pioneer Press is a dying paper. this is just a cheap trick to get clicks. embarrassing

Who the hell John Shipley?
He another 'I went to a non football community college' alum?

All the journalists are hopping on the PC wagon, beating their chests. Stop reading them.

Lazy, boring take from a failing writer and at a failing paper. Sad!

per Shipley:

Reflection is fine, but this is no time for the university to take its eye off the ball.

The Gophers’ 17-12 victory over Washington State on Tuesday night should have no bearing on Claeys’ future at the University of Minnesota. Nor should the team’s 9-4 record, its best since a 10-3 season under Glen Mason in 2003. This is not a football issue, and Claeys has to go.

One can debate whether a football coach can control more than 100 players under his charge, and one can forcefully argue that Claeys is in no way culpable for an incident in which some of his players were among the 10 to 20 men accused of sexually assaulting a classmate on Sept. 2. What cannot be debated is whether Claeys appropriately handled the U’s suspension of 10 players, and subsequently his team’s threat to boycott the Holiday Bowl.

Rather than take charge, Claeys let his misguided, ill-informed players hijack the program.

If Claeys couldn’t see which side he should have been on, that’s a problem. If he jumped on a grenade for his players, it was a mistake. It’s important to tell your children when they’re wrong.

In either case, Claeys’ credibility is shot — with the administration, the fans and, whether they know it or not, his players. The Gophers rallied around the coach and played well on Tuesday night, but they also probably got him fired.

Is that any way to treat someone you respect?

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/28/john-shipley-tracy-claeys-has-to-go-this-isnt-about-xs-and-os/

Go Gophers!!

This Twat and every other staffer at the Pioneer Press Sports could jump off of the Mendota Bridge into the Mississippi River and the sports world would never even know they had existed.

This Twat and every other staffer at the Pioneer Press Sports could jump off of the Mendota Bridge into the Mississippi River and the sports world would never even know they had existed.

Nah, Bleed would post it.. :D

Saw on Twitter GopherHole took Shipley to task for sensationalizing the numbers and Shipley agreed with GH and changed his article. Nicely done GH.

I vaguely remember a time when journalists actually researched facts before putting pen to paper. Ah, the good ol' days.

Shipley is one of the biggest hacks in the local media, and that's really saying something.

For the less geographically challenged...that would be the Minnesota River...if you jumped off the Mendota Bridge. [emoji41]

Piece of **** article. Tracy Claeys is a good man. He doesn't deserve this.

People deserve whatever they earn, whether you think they're "good" or not.

There's enough righteous indignation being tossed around by all sides in this discussion. Maybe, absent any indignation, I can explain why I agree with Shipley.

I appreciate the bowl win and the good on-the-field coaching job, but Shipley makes a valid case that Claeys gave the players too much support and not enough guidance. The bottom line for me, and for a lot of people, is that the U did the only thing they could legally do: investigating the incident carefully, producing a well researched report, distributing that report only to the students involved, advising the students when and how they could appeal, and revealing as little as possible to the public. The football team responded in the most wildly inappropriate way possible, and coach Claeys - in opposition to his employer - announced that he was proud of the football team.

I have conflicting feelings about this, because I like coach Claeys and I've been a supporter of his. But this conduct would get most people fired from most jobs.

People deserve whatever they earn, whether you think they're "good" or not.

There's enough righteous indignation being tossed around by all sides in this discussion. Maybe, absent any indignation, I can explain why I agree with Shipley.

I appreciate the bowl win and the good on-the-field coaching job, but Shipley makes a valid case that Claeys gave the players too much support and not enough guidance. The bottom line for me, and for a lot of people, is that the U did the only thing they could legally do: investigating the incident carefully, producing a well researched report, distributing that report only to the students involved, advising the students when and how they could appeal, and revealing as little as possible to the public. The football team responded in the most wildly inappropriate way possible, and coach Claeys - in opposition to his employer - announced that he was proud of the football team.

I have conflicting feelings about this, because I like coach Claeys and I've been a supporter of his. But this conduct would get most people fired from most jobs.

They felt the process is unfair (many people do). Why is that inappropriate? Do you consider all protests inappropriate?

I don't think it was handled the best, but his tweet is hardly a fireable offense in my opinion. I can understand the argument that he should be fired because of the incident in September, and that he doesn't have control of the program.

And you can be proud of someone even if you disagree with them. Claeys was probably proud of the team because they came together and were fighting for something they believed in. The reaction to his tweet is way over the top in my opinion.

GophersinIowa, I guess we disagree. The players were wrong that there was no due process, and their response to the misperception that there was no due process was to threaten to harm the athletic department both in its finances and its reputation. I think it's self-evident that gushing pride was the wrong thing for Claeys, who is an employee and a representative of the University, to do under the circumstances.

Unfortunately, this sentiment is often much more than simply a sh¡tty opinion.

The "Fire Claeys" movement is becoming a place where Minnesota's biggest racists are flocking. This feels so good to them, like a good old-fashion lynching. The thinly-veiled "we need leadership" mantra is such obvious racist code for "we need someone who will crack the whip".
By ascribing a racial element to this situation, you are just as bad as those currently occupying the "Fire Claeys" movement.

This "movement" is a result of a feminist culture that bullies others into imposing their will. Any time a man is accused of either abusing or sexually assaulting a woman, these women will not stop until said man's life is destroyed, regardless of criminal charges being filed, a lack of conviction or simply an overall incredulous case. They can not be bothered with the countless false accusations being made; facts are irrelevant.

GophersinIowa, I guess we disagree. The players were wrong that there was no due process, and their response to the misperception that there was no due process was to threaten to harm the athletic department both in its finances and its reputation. I think it's self-evident that gushing pride was the wrong thing for Claeys, who is an employee and a representative of the University, to do under the circumstances.

Please explain...when did due process take place?

Tracy Claeys did lose control during the boycott - that is the poorest reflection on him regarding this situation. His players went around him, and he was marginalized as a passenger.

How do you know this for sure? Obviously the players felt differently. I don't know what happened in the investigation. But there are many examples of where these type of investigations were slanted/biased. That doesn't mean this was an example of a biased investigation, but it also doesn't mean there can't be many flaws in it.

Please explain...when did due process take place?

Due Process - outside of the criminal justice system - means the full exercise of a fair system of judgement. The U had its investigators interview the players, compare the interviews, and make a recommendation. The U accepted the recommendations but notified the affected students where/when/how they could appeal.

In this context, that's due process. Of course in the criminal justice system it would play out differently, but an awful lot of people are conflating academia with the criminal justice system.

Ok, I really don't know what Claeys has done wrong to deserve to get fired? Yes, he sent out a text that has been misinterpreted by many as support for the suspected player, but that is not what was intended.

From day one, teams are taught to support and fight for each other with every fiber in their body. It is similar to military training in that you do not leave a brother behind. That is how you get all of the guys to commit to systems and have each other's back, etc....

So earlier in the year you have a restraining order that prevents 5 players from playing in home games (they were not suspended). The other players don't know any of the details. A few weeks later the restraining orders are lifted and the player can play home games again. At that point most of the other players think the situation has passed. Then, just before the bowl game, the U suspends 10 players based upon recommendations from a committee investigation. The majority of the players do not know the details/facts of the incident and are being told by the some of players involved that they did nothing wrong. These players have been taught to stand up for their teammates. Claeys meets with the players for several hours and they discussed the possible ramifications of any decision that they make. Claeys even told them he could get fired. The players decide it is worth the risk to use their leverage to ensure that all of the accused get due process and that the U doesn't just blindly follow the committee recommendations. Claeys supports his players just as he promised everyone of their parents that he would. Those two actions show a tremendous amount of team unity.

As has been noted, the boycott did draw attention to the second 5 players from the BOR. There is a greater chance that there will be some push back on some of the committee recommendations.

The players lifted the boycott after getting some reassurance that more due process will be followed and after learning more details of the incident.

I think Claeys did exactly what I would have expected him to do if my kid was on the team. Also, I think Claeys is in the strongest position of any possible coach to prevent any of these incidents from happening in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^Perfect example of what's going on here. People are talking past each other, ignoring the information that's right in front of them.

I vaguely remember a time when journalists actually researched facts before putting pen to paper. Ah, the good ol' days.

Well, if you are going to label 10 people as rapists, why not make it 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Perfect example of what's going on here. People are talking past each other, ignoring the information that's right in front of them.

Your take is the EOAA report was fair and impartial then? Glad you aren't ignoring the information right in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I really don't know what Claeys has done wrong to deserve to get fired? Yes, he sent out a text that has been misinterpreted by many as support for the suspected player, but that is not what was intended.

From day one, teams are taught to support and fight for each other with every fiber in their body. It is similar to military training in that you do not leave a brother behind. That is how you get all of the guys to commit to systems and have each other's back, etc....

So earlier in the year you have a restraining order that prevents 5 players from playing in home games (they were not suspended). The other players don't know any of the details. A few weeks later the restraining orders are lifted and the player can play home games again. At that point most of the other players think the situation has passed. Then, just before the bowl game, the U suspends 10 players based upon recommendations from a committee investigation. The majority of the players do not know the details/facts of the incident and are being told by the some of players involved that they did nothing wrong. These players have been taught to stand up for their teammates. Claeys meets with the players for several hours and they discussed the possible ramifications of any decision that they make. Claeys even told them he could get fired. The players decide it is worth the risk to use their leverage to ensure that all of the accused get due process and that the U doesn't just blindly follow the committee recommendations. Claeys supports his players just as he promised everyone of their parents that he would. Those two actions show a tremendous amount of team unity.

As has been noted, the boycott did draw attention to the second 5 players from the BOR. There is a greater chance that there will be some push back on some of the committee recommendations.

The players lifted the boycott after getting some reassurance that more due process will be followed and after learning more details of the incident.

I think Claeys did exactly what I would have expected him to do if my kid was on the team. Also, I think Claeys is in the strongest position of any possible coach to prevent any of these incidents from happening in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not true.

Top Bottom