Joel never asked Barry Alvarez to coach the Gophers

No not at all. I just don't understand the little story he made up. I also don't understand why he is asking Barry questions about how to hire a head coach. Barry hired one guy from his own staff. Joel you have been an AD longer than Barry. It is just more proof than Joel is cracking under pressure. You guys can be happy that we have a new coach but remember Kill still has to work with Joel to right this ship. I don't think Joel's hand is very steady right now.

Once upon a time, when I was very young, people used to say things that weren't always true. We called them jokes. The teller was often called a "smart-arse" after it and we all laughed.

Oh, I long for those days when not everything that was uttered in public was immediately believed as a truth. We laughed much more back then . . .

Once upon a time, when I was very young, people used to say things that weren't always true. We called them jokes. The teller was often called a "smart-arse" after it and we all laughed.

Oh, I long for those days when not everything that was uttered in public was immediately believed as a truth. We laughed much more back then . . .

I get what you are saying but Joel really made it sound like he was not kidding. From the Bob Sansevere interview:

JM: Yeah, I did. I offered it to Barry Alvarez, and he didn't take the job.

BS: I've heard you say that three times now. Did you truly say, "Barry, do you want to come here and coach the Gophers?"

JM: Yeah, I did.

BS: And his response?

JM: He said, "I like what I'm doing. And my days of coaching are done."

BS: So you were sincere when you asked?

JM: Well, I know Barry pretty well now.

BS: But it was a serious offer?

JM: Oh, yeah. Heck, yeah. I said, "If we could make this work."

Barry could very well be the one lying about this in all fairness.

I assume you were just as naive then as you appear to be now...

We missed Barry by about 20 years - Holtz had hyped the Minnesota job to him then. But that would mean BB would likely be our coach now...

Barry could very well be the one lying about this in all fairness.

Maybe Joel did what he said but since there was no formal contract offer Barry says he was not offered the job.

Top Bottom