Joe Schmit: Gophers have made contact with Randy Edsall of UConn

All I am saying is that ticket sales for next year should not be part of the considerations.

You saw what a dead program looks like last Sat. night right? The wrong hire will just keep that going for another year or more. We can't afford that imo. I'm not saying we have to only think about ticket sales, but that really should be something to worry about when hiring a new coach.

I still think the perfect combination of both is with Mike Leach, but I know how you feel about that..

I think Edsall is a great coach but not the right fit for MN. Edsall is a east coast guy and graduated from Syracuse. A couple of years ago when the Cuse was looking for a new head coach, Edsall was the #1 choice but he turned down his old school because he was dedicated to running his program at UConn. As much as Gopher fans would hate to hear this, I think Edsall has no interest in the MN program if he is asked.

W. Virginia 3-3-5 defense held his team to 16 pts. :D.

I have read people speculate (in a different thread) that a leak of this type is typically done by the coach in question to leverage a better contract at his current gig. If that is the were the case with Edsall, I would think that UConn fans would have sniffed this story out. I have been checking their Scout forum (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2873) and have not seen a single peep about this.

It is interesting to read, though, that the Big East announced their intentions on adding two football teams and posters' speculations on which two teams would be added.

You saw what a dead program looks like last Sat. night right? The wrong hire will just keep that going for another year or more. We can't afford that imo. I'm not saying we have to only think about ticket sales, but that really should be something to worry about when hiring a new coach.

I still think the perfect combination of both is with Mike Leach, but I know how you feel about that..
Maybe I am sensitive because I am about to become a mother.

Couple of scenarios:

1.Joe Schmit is spitballing, and seeing what sticks to the wall. Maybe he caught a whiff of a rumor. If he's right, he can lay claim to breaking the story. If not, noone will remember a month from now

2.Edsall's agent leaked the rumor to leverage more money out of UConn. Sleazy, but that's how the game is played. Mason was a master. For about two years, anyway.

3.It could be Maturi purposely leaking a rumor or two. Probably thru someone close to him. Sort of a trial balloon to see what the reaction is. He doesn't give a crap what anyone on this board says. He's more interested in getting calls from the boosters on his Rolodex (or these days, a blackberry).

4.Variation on #3, it may be a false rumor to appease some bigwheel booster or regent who wants Edsall. The rumor(s) about Trestman might also fall into this category

5.Its a smokescreen to deflect attention away from a different target.

I don't think anyone in Bierman is leaking stuff to Joe Schmit. Maturi was pizzed about the leak prior to Brewster's firing. I'm sure he read the riot act to his staff (did anyone ever get S-canned over that?). Maturi is good at this backchannel stuff. You look at what a monkeypooh fight its been when nd or SCum have changed coaches, and so far this one is going pretty smoothly.

I agree that right now they're screening candidates, both for interest as well as checking for skeletons in the proverbial closet. At this point everything should be done thru 3rd parties so both sides have plausible deniability. I'm trying to remember with the Tubby hire. Was there even a whisper of that more than 24 hours in advance? I seem to recall it was less than that. If this is done right we won't know who the coach is until the presser.

Holy cow. This is interesting, but I'm not sure that I buy all the cloak and dagger business.

Top Bottom