Joe Schmit: Gophers have made contact with Randy Edsall of UConn

Will he run a good program? He'd have to have better results here than he's had at UConn to do that. If the new coach doesn't restore the fans faith, there are going to be a lot of empty seats next season.
You can't make organizational decisions on the short term. You have to make the best long term hire and have faith that a quality program will bring fans back, not make a splash with a name that may have more it factor but doesn't put your program in as good a position to succeed.

Edsall is a quality guy.

You can't make organizational decisions on the short term. You have to make the best long term hire and have faith that a quality program will bring fans back, not make a splash with a name that may have more it factor but doesn't put your program in as good a position to succeed.

+ Infinity plus 3.

But you can't ignore short term concerns either. If have two equally good long-term choices, and one of them better meets short term needs, then the one that meets the short term needs is the best choice. Edsall may be a quality guy, but is he going to win more here than there? Why is he such a better choice than other coaches?

69-69 overall record, no 10 win seasons, only one top 3 finish in Big East (T-1 in 2007).

No thanks.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Yea!! Randy Edsall!!! Our kill-shot hire to keep our track record of mediocrity going strong!!! :rolleyes:......:(......:cry:

But you can't ignore short term concerns either. If have two equally good long-term choices, and one of them better meets short term needs, then the one that meets the short term needs is the best choice. Edsall may be a quality guy, but is he going to win more here than there? Why is he such a better choice than other coaches?

Like Lou Holtz and his cheating? No thanks. I'll take several decades of building a solid to spectacular team over short-term gratification.

You can't build for the long term and be good in the short term (assuming that the talent isn't here). You have to pick one or the other, there simply are not enough scholarship positions on a team. You either have to get the best talent available or fill with JUCOs. Filling with JUCOs is just kicking the can down the road.

Maybe....

Maybe just laying the ground work for plan B....or leaking things like this to lower expectations again. (not sure of the pointof that though).

This would not be what Bruininks and Maturi were talking about. Tubby-Smith like hire.

Get Jim Harbaugh here now!

Like Lou Holtz and his cheating? No thanks. I'll take several decades of building a solid to spectacular team over short-term gratification.

I would too, but I'd also really like our brand new stadium to sell out so we have money to run a program too.

You will note that I said NOTHING ABOUT LOU HOLTZ! I neither said nor implied anything about cheating. Let's review what I said, written in plain English:

If have two equally good long-term choices, and one of them better meets short term needs, then the one that meets the short term needs is the best choice.

You ignored the bolded part. A coach that cheats is not a long term choice. I did not say short term considerations should override long term considerations. I said that if the long term choices were equal, then short term considerations tip the balance.

All I am saying is that ticket sales for next year should not be part of the considerations.

All I am saying is that ticket sales for next year should not be part of the considerations.

But if you had two coaches that you thought were equal, except one would sell more season tickets next year than the other, that would tip the scales. I'm not suggesting that we hire a worse coach. If he is really our best option, then go for it.

I would be very happy with Edsall. Not my top choice, but I like him a lot. I have seen the type of kid he brings in and have seen what he makes of them. New England is not a football mecca, and he makes his kids better. No nonsense coach who is appreciated by his kids. I have watched him coach multiple games as well as multiple practices and really like his approach. I have worked with him more than once as well, and he carries the same approach to those instances. He has an excellent staff working with him as well. To dismiss a guy like Randy Edsall is to announce to the world that you simply don't know what you are talking about.

Randy Edsall is a good coach. Judging someone based solely off of their record isn't going to tell you the whole story. Gene Chizek is an example of a guy who did a good job at a bad situation and is setting the world on fire with Auburn. Edsall might have more obstacles than almost any BCS coach in the country to make a quality program and he has. UConn plays 25 - 30 minutes from campus, at a basketball school, with very little local talent. The job he has done at UConn has been incredible. In my opinion, it would be like if 7 years from now NDSU (except NDSU probably has more admin and support for their football team) was playing in decent bowl games and winning big games (West Virginia last week).

Overall record not bad, but big deficit in conference wins - a lot like Mason here.

Edsall is one of the many potential coaches who falls squarely in "meh" territory. I'd live with it, probably grow into liking it; but it would hardly keep me awake in anticipation for next season.

There are two categories that potential coaches fall under for the vacancy this time around. 1. Coaches who are capable of returning this team to Mason's level. 2. Coaches who are capable of exceeding Mason's level. Edsall falls in the former category.

Randy Edsall is a good coach. Judging someone based solely off of their record isn't going to tell you the whole story. Gene Chizek is an example of a guy who did a good job at a bad situation and is setting the world on fire with Auburn. Edsall might have more obstacles than almost any BCS coach in the country to make a quality program and he has. UConn plays 25 - 30 minutes from campus, at a basketball school, with very little local talent. The job he has done at UConn has been incredible. In my opinion, it would be like if 7 years from now NDSU (except NDSU probably has more admin and support for their football team) was playing in decent bowl games and winning big games (West Virginia last week).

They're competing with significantly less talent than we have. I think people should step back and realize we lost to South Dakota with a team full of Rivals three star prospects and UConn beat West Virginia with 33 three star prospects and the rest 2 stars or less. He may not be Jim Harbaugh, but Jesus H. Christ people, they're already mentioning his name and the Dallas job. Edsall doesn't make me jump up and start cheering at the mention of his name, but I would be more happy with him as coach than I was with Mason in '96. I was really disappointed when they hired him. I just remember I was going into a coffee shop when I saw the headline on the front page of the strib in the newspaper box. I was like WHY!?! Have some perspective. The media acts like we have no other choice than to hire Marc Trestman, cuz he's the only guy who will take the job. Also, Edsall would probably accept the offer based on the grilling he's been getting from UConn fans. These guys have egos and it might be a big fu to the folks back in Storrs if he took a significantly higher paying job in a power conference. Don't be surprised if he's the guy introduced about a month from now.

Initially, I would have been excited about Edsall, but after looking at it more closely, I don't know... If their stadium is in fact 22 miles from campus, that would really suck and would be a hindrance. that being said, they've got some other phenomenal facilities on campus (http://www.uconnhuskies.com/view.gal?id=43974), they're right by ESPN (lots of coverage), and they've gotten a ton of publicity from both hoop teams.

Also, having played at Syracuse and grown up in PA, one would think Edsall would have a ton of connections in the area for recruiting, but his classes have been mediocre at best; his best class (ratings-wise - I know, say what you will about the "ratings") was last year, but thus far this year to date his class is rated dead last in the Big East.

I don't know; he's got lots of advantages over at least a couple of the other Big East teams, but doesn't seem to have capitalized on them. I'd take him over Fullmer, and certainly Trestman (I personally don't even consider Trestman a candidate), but I don't know - I'd have my concerns.

Would the Gophers really be making contact right now? I would guess the search firm would be making contacts and gauging interest right now. I find it hard to believe Edsall has any chance at getting the Gophers job.

Would the Gophers really be making contact right now? I would guess the search firm would be making contacts and gauging interest right now. I find it hard to believe Edsall has any chance at getting the Gophers job.

Stranger things have happened. It's rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt.

EG#9: the search firm... they are doing background work on many candidates... he's one of them... I am with you... doubt he will ultimately be the hire.

Couple of scenarios:

1.Joe Schmit is spitballing, and seeing what sticks to the wall. Maybe he caught a whiff of a rumor. If he's right, he can lay claim to breaking the story. If not, noone will remember a month from now

2.Edsall's agent leaked the rumor to leverage more money out of UConn. Sleazy, but that's how the game is played. Mason was a master. For about two years, anyway.

3.It could be Maturi purposely leaking a rumor or two. Probably thru someone close to him. Sort of a trial balloon to see what the reaction is. He doesn't give a crap what anyone on this board says. He's more interested in getting calls from the boosters on his Rolodex (or these days, a blackberry).

4.Variation on #3, it may be a false rumor to appease some bigwheel booster or regent who wants Edsall. The rumor(s) about Trestman might also fall into this category

5.Its a smokescreen to deflect attention away from a different target.

I don't think anyone in Bierman is leaking stuff to Joe Schmit. Maturi was pizzed about the leak prior to Brewster's firing. I'm sure he read the riot act to his staff (did anyone ever get S-canned over that?). Maturi is good at this backchannel stuff. You look at what a monkeypooh fight its been when nd or SCum have changed coaches, and so far this one is going pretty smoothly.

I agree that right now they're screening candidates, both for interest as well as checking for skeletons in the proverbial closet. At this point everything should be done thru 3rd parties so both sides have plausible deniability. I'm trying to remember with the Tubby hire. Was there even a whisper of that more than 24 hours in advance? I seem to recall it was less than that. If this is done right we won't know who the coach is until the presser.

He's not my top choice but I could live with him as coach. I'd prefer Golden or Bellotti personally, or maybe Troy Calhoun.

Initially, I would have been excited about Edsall, but after looking at it more closely, I don't know... If their stadium is in fact 22 miles from campus, that would really suck and would be a hindrance. that being said, they've got some other phenomenal facilities on campus (http://www.uconnhuskies.com/view.gal?id=43974), they're right by ESPN (lots of coverage), and they've gotten a ton of publicity from both hoop teams.

Also, having played at Syracuse and grown up in PA, one would think Edsall would have a ton of connections in the area for recruiting, but his classes have been mediocre at best; his best class (ratings-wise - I know, say what you will about the "ratings") was last year, but thus far this year to date his class is rated dead last in the Big East.

I don't know; he's got lots of advantages over at least a couple of the other Big East teams, but doesn't seem to have capitalized on them. I'd take him over Fullmer, and certainly Trestman (I personally don't even consider Trestman a candidate), but I don't know - I'd have my concerns.

UCONN really does play a 30 min drive from their campus.

As far as anything about UConn having built in advantages, I really don't think so. They might have some advantages over the teams in the basement of the conference, but they aren't located in very good recruiting country, they have probably the worst stadium situation in the nation, and they don't come from a program with much prestige.

The only splash...

... is my beer hitting the floor. Not a good candidate for rebuilding the program. He would be a caretaker.

EG#9: the search firm... they are doing background work on many candidates... he's one of them... I am with you... doubt he will ultimately be the hire.

I wouldn't want him to be the hire because he'd be leaving his own program at Uconn. He would have too much expected out of him here, and I dont think he is the type of coach who can take a program to the next level.

Hes an average coach in the Big East, but to his program hes much more well thought of.

UCONN really does play a 30 min drive from their campus.

As far as anything about UConn having built in advantages, I really don't think so. They might have some advantages over the teams in the basement of the conference, but they aren't located in very good recruiting country, they have probably the worst stadium situation in the nation, and they don't come from a program with much prestige.

? - They're practically next door to two of the best h.s. football states in the entire country - PA and NJ.

Top Bottom