Joe Coleman

Roland Brooks

Reaction score
How does he still get so much tick? IQ-less on the court. Iowa's point guard name Ollie blocked his shot.. :clap::clap:

Tubby is coach. That is why. And that is why Tubby should no longer coach here.

That is this bullcrap spring and even sometimes summer recruiting that has been done. Kids seem nice and have never heard a peep of them off the court but Oto and Mav just aren't legit options at this level. To me that is a huge problem that they have had, only 5-6 legit B10 players. Speaks of a guy who has been passed by in the recruiting game. (Not having the confidence to bank a scholly and panicking and signing these guys>) I know I know facilities but I believe these two recruits were brought in directly due to transfers. (Cobbs and Carter)
Have you seen our bench?

Are you calling for more Welch, Oto or Mav?

Joe is a below average basketball player. He has good strength and is tough , but he has a mechanical jump shot with little elevation, below average handle and average quickness. He seems like a good guy, but a wing player should be a dynamic scorer which he doesn't come close. Position by position, this team is not strong. Tubby is propably doing a great job with what he has.

Really should be less Joe and more EE, Trev, Rodney, Austin and Dre. EE is pretty darn efficient on the high/low passing and seeing the open player.

I agree and that is my biggest problem with him. Don't blame the facilities on this go back and read what Kentucky fans said when he came here that he had gotten passed by in recruiting.

I agree and that is my biggest problem with him. Don't blame the facilities on this go back and read what Kentucky fans said when he came here that he had gotten passed by in recruiting.

+1***

It seems to me that Coleman is actually the barometer of how the team is playing. If the offense is clicking, Joe really seems to benefit from it and he scores a lot. If the offense isn't clicking, his game suffers. At least, that's what I've noticed from the recent stretch.

It seems to me that Coleman is actually the barometer of how the team is playing. If the offense is clicking, Joe really seems to benefit from it and he scores a lot. If the offense isn't clicking, his game suffers. At least, that's what I've noticed from the recent stretch.

Coleman's, and the teams, issue is he can't shoot enough that teams respect it. It clogs the paint for him and others to drive and go to the hoop. Especially with Rodney out there too. Teams don't even remotely respect their jumper.

Agree. Coleman and Williams dominated Minnesota HS basketball because they were explosive players who could take it to the rim against inferior opposition. Neither can shoot with any consistency. You cannot create a shooter; either you are one or you are not. Your genetics limit you plain and simple. Coleman gets stuffed too often even when he takes it to the hole. Rodney cannot score off the dribble; he is a slasher who is best in transition; a skill of little value in the half-court dominated B1G.

Agree. Coleman and Williams dominated Minnesota HS basketball because they were explosive players who could take it to the rim against inferior opposition. Neither can shoot with any consistency. You cannot create a shooter; either you are one or you are not. Your genetics limit you plain and simple. Coleman gets stuffed too often even when he takes it to the hole. Rodney cannot score off the dribble; he is a slasher who is best in transition; a skill of little value in the half-court dominated B1G.

Jason Kidd disagrees.

True, Coleman's shot is pretty awful, and his handles are not the greatest either. But, how the bleep did he score 29 against Illinois? Because, Tubby put lots of pressure on Illinois, and pressed like crazy. Coleman had about 10 dunks in that game. Joe and Rodney are not good, but GREAT players running the wing on the fastbreak. Why Tubby decided to put a halt to the dunk show and revert back to true Tubby Ball is worth a facepalm...

True, Coleman's shot is pretty awful, and his handles are not the greatest either. But, how the bleep did he score 29 against Illinois? Because, Tubby put lots of pressure on Illinois, and pressed like crazy. Coleman had about 10 dunks in that game. Joe and Rodney are not good, but GREAT players running the wing on the fastbreak. Why Tubby decided to put a halt to the dunk show and revert back to true Tubby Ball is worth a facepalm...

This is the Big 10, NOBODY is going to get 10 layups or dunks no matter how much you press. Illinois played an aweful game and never got back on defense that game. How many did Joe have the second time they played Illinois?

Lets face it, Joe plays the 3rd guard spot, and what does he do well? He can't shoot, dribble, turns the ball over a lot, and gets rejected at the rim several times per game. Joe is a poor mans Rodney Williams, and is a lane clogger.

After seeing Maverick completely struggle again yesterday (felt really bad for him), I think it's time to start have Coleman come off the bench and go to a two guard lineup with the Dre and Austin getting most of the minutes and Coleman spelling them. Welsh sees a little time, but Maverick only in blowouts.
Elliason sees his minutes increase dramatically and Ingram significantly at least until Rodney gets healthy and produces.

Tubby's has recruited more top end talent than we've seen in a long time. The problem is he hasn't been able to keep some of them around. Welch, Maverick, and Ingram were all brought in because of transfers.

Tubby's has recruited more top end talent than we've seen in a long time. The problem is he hasn't been able to keep some of them around. Welch, Maverick, and Ingram were all brought in because of transfers.

+1

But how awful is Oto!?!? This guy was brought in to knock down shots and seriously has air balled more threes than he's made. On top of that he turns the ball over repeatedly and can't play D. With that being said, how in the hell does he keep getting minutes?

I may be wrong but Jason Kidd wasn't a good 3pt shooter in college. He made himself into one in the pro's when you can work on it as many hours as you want. We have a team built to run in a league that doesn't allow running. We would have a good record in the big 12, pac 12, acc, sec, but in the big ten i dont think so.

After seeing Maverick completely struggle again yesterday (felt really bad for him), I think it's time to start have Coleman come off the bench and go to a two guard lineup with the Dre and Austin getting most of the minutes and Coleman spelling them. Welsh sees a little time, but Maverick only in blowouts.
Elliason sees his minutes increase dramatically and Ingram significantly at least until Rodney gets healthy and produces.

Been waiting 4 yrs & counting.......

I may be wrong but Jason Kidd wasn't a good 3pt shooter in college. He made himself into one in the pro's when you can work on it as many hours as you want. We have a team built to run in a league that doesn't allow running. We would have a good record in the big 12, pac 12, acc, sec, but in the big ten i dont think so.

That's was my point. The OP said you were born a shooter or you weren't. Which is completely and utterly false.

Agree on the different conference too. Kind of. The players we have dictate a fast half court offense. Constant movement. Take the first decent shot, constant ball movement, etc.

Tubby is trying to play a sped up version of Wisconsin offense without the type of talent Wisconsin has.

He either needs to switch to a conference where we can play as little half court as possible, adjust his half court offense, or start recruiting like Wisconsin and adjust his defense.

Or he needs to recruit like UK. Kentucky could (and occasionally does) run a half court offense very similar to ours, and it works. Because they have great athletes with great basketball skills (usually, not so much this year) and are confident running it but they can also play that fast paced defense and run. IMO that's what Tubby wants to do here.

The issue is, he can't or hasn't signed top10, 5 star talent every year like UK does. Why did Damien do so well here? Athletic and had good basketball skills. Westbrook. Athletic and good basketball skills. Same for Dre and Austin. He needs a team full of those guys to employ the defense he wants to and the offense he wants to. But you have Rodney - super athletic, great defense, limited offensive skills. Joe - athletic, limited skills, Trevor/Dre/Austin - athletic and skilled. However, joe and Rodney make it tough for them to excel not being able to shoot. Not even need to shoot at an elite level, but just a respectable level.

Bench, Mav can shoot but not that athletic. Welch can shoot, but not that athletic. Oto fairly athletic but can't shoot. Elliot is a hard worker, but can't shoot. Mo can somewhat shoot but isn't athletic.

The offense and defense are very team oriented and require 5 guys. He has the right 5 for defense, Trevor is a little short, but eh. Offensively, Rodney and Joe bog things down bad with their inability to shoot.

Top Bottom