Joan Gabel has been named 19th chancellor of the of the University of Pittsburgh.

And be smart enough to make things look decent to visitors.
...or prospective students.

Someone we both know: his youngest was dead set against attending Iowa State because one or both of her siblings had gone there, and she was NOT going to do the same thing they did. But she agreed to tour the campus, and by the end of the tour, she had decided to attend there. The appearance of a place and its first impression has a lot to do with where someone decides to study. And rightly so; a nourishing environment is a huge factor in quality of life...especially for a young person, who hasn't died inside yet like you and I have.

saw some discussion elsewhere that she is or was taking flack for how she has handled - or not handled - the whole issue with the U of MN Hospital and the possible Sanford Health-Fairview merger.

also saw some grumbling that she allegedly has not handled some of the financial duties all that well - could be something, could be sour grapes. don't know. I do know that the U of MN is apparently asking the Legislature for a lot of $$.

I am not seeing any wailing or gnashing of teeth over her departure.
Of course it's true. You know who we hear about from the U about the Sanford mess? We hear about it from Myron Frans, nothing from Gabel. Absolutely nothing. She's the leader of the university, and she's completely silent. It's Frans and the med school administrators doing all the talking. Gabel is completely MIA. Hopefully, it is because she was told to kick rocks behind closed doors, and no one wants a lame duck involved.

Also, look at how much the U claims they're off in tuition and school funding. Where's the forecasting? She has to be completely inept. Completely inept.

I'm worried about the toadies she's hired and embedded within the school.

Last edited:

...or prospective students.

Someone we both know: his youngest was dead set against attending Iowa State because one or both of her siblings had gone there, and she was NOT going to do the same thing they did. But she agreed to tour the campus, and by the end of the tour, she had decided to attend there. The appearance of a place and its first impression has a lot to do with where someone decides to study. And rightly so; a nourishing environment is a huge factor in quality of life...especially for a young person, who hasn't died inside yet like you and I have.
Death brings new life, friend.

I always thought that the U would be a higher caliber job than the sole finalist being a provost at South Carolina whose previous job was at Mizzou. Those are not heavy credentials. I think there is something wrong with the U's hiring process.

I always thought that the U would be a higher caliber job than the sole finalist being a provost at South Carolina whose previous job was at Mizzou. Those are not heavy credentials. I think there is something wrong with the U's hiring process.
Or maybe we just think the institution is much better than high caliber educational leaders think it is.

Kahler was great imo.

Heard, from an anonymous source, she's leaving because they won't restrict how she makes side money.
Yeah, the Securian board thing was more than shady, imo. That was more of a red flag than her skewed handling of the athletic department.

saw some discussion elsewhere that she is or was taking flack for how she has handled - or not handled - the whole issue with the U of MN Hospital and the possible Sanford Health-Fairview merger.

also saw some grumbling that she allegedly has not handled some of the financial duties all that well - could be something, could be sour grapes. don't know. I do know that the U of MN is apparently asking the Legislature for a lot of $$.

I am not seeing any wailing or gnashing of teeth over her departure.
Were these the same grumblers who blamed the insolvency of Silicon Valley Bank on a Woke Agenda by the CEO?

Regardless, the lack of action on extracting University assets from the Sanford-Fairview merger shows a disconnect from the University itself.

I don’t claim to know much about the merger or Securian fiasco, however, Gable lost me went she didn’t show up in person to a campus safety meeting attended by hundreds of concerned parents and students. The campus was less safe under her watch. I hope we find a strong leader who is not beholden to any particular group or political affiliation if that’s even possible

I don’t claim to know much about the merger or Securian fiasco, however, Gable lost me went she didn’t show up in person to a campus safety meeting attended by hundreds of concerned parents and students. The campus was less safe under her watch. I hope we find a strong leader who is not beholden to any particular group or political affiliation if that’s even possible
Do you think safety is a box on their list to check off?

It would be interesting to see their list.

I was curious so I looked up some public school rankings. The U is ranked well above South Carolina and Mizzou. The job should attract much stronger candidates.
Should but doesn’t. Do the regents have the courage to find out why?

I know it won’t happen, academics hiring academics and all, but I really wish they’d hire someone who would clean house to combat administrative bloat and lower tuition for in and out of state students.

Won’t hold my breath.

Often the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. But it's hard to see this as anything but a positive for athletics at least.
Really?

Was she not hired from an SEC school and originally that was thought to be a good thing for athletics? I seem to remember that.

Of course, I suspect all this kind of sentiment has to be coming from the idea that she personally, or perhaps in tandem with her top executives and/or the Regents, forced Coyle to hire Ben Johnson for basketball.

We don't have any proof and never will (if they weren't completely stupid).

If she did do that, well, yeah I think we can all see that it was a poor decision. And hopefully she has learned her lesson there.

Great question.

Email the legislative auditors office, and ask them to dig into it. We need answers for this malfeasance.
My point being, I really doubt that Gabel is personally responsible for it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom