Joan Gabel has been named 19th chancellor of the of the University of Pittsburgh.

I feel like this is a positive for the athletic programs. I think she was a fine president but sports seemed to be used as a political pawn for her. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but let's hope this helps the teams!!

Some will celebrate. Others will mourn. Such is the way of things.

I was a Hasselmo guy. At least that is what my diploma says. I thought he was OK, whatever it was he did. :)

Some will celebrate. Others will mourn. Such is the way of things.

I was a Hasselmo guy. At least that is what my diploma says. I thought he was OK, whatever it was he did. :)
I was on a work call this morning with a colleague who's an alum of Iowa State, which has a beautiful campus. It reminded me of Mark Yudof, who came here with a head of steam to beautify the Twin Cities campus and take steps to realize some of Cass Gilbert's original concepts and ambitions, which was very welcome and overdue. So much of what looks good at the U of M is thanks to him. That emphasis was only one of a number of initiatives he pushed during his time here. We need another one like him: someone who's not just trying to refine the status quo but someone with bold and ambitious vision for the present and future.

Last edited:

I was on a work call this morning with a colleague who's an alum of Iowa State, which has a beautiful campus. It reminded me of Mark Yudof, who came here with a head of steam to beautify the Twin Cities campus and take steps to realize some of Cass Gilbert's original concepts and ambitions., which was very welcome and overdue. So much of what looks good at the U of M is thanks to him. That emphasis was only one of a number of initiatives he pushed during his time here. We need another one like him: someone who's not just trying to refine the status quo but someone with bold and ambitious vision for the present and future.
I agree. He really did a lot to spruce up the campus, which was in need of a significant makeover IMHO.

My kids will never know the pleasure of having a class in the Science Classroom Building, the temporary-no-wait-it's-permanent glorified shed with rebar sticking out of the concrete for additional floors to be added. Thankfully they tore that friggin' eye sore down and put a real building in its place.

Heard, from an anonymous source, she's leaving because they won't restrict how she makes side money.

Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for...hopefully this turns out to be good news.

On this board specifically, it's believed she had a heavy hand in deciding the basketball coaching hire. Also the sleaze of her side gig with Securion or whoever it was.
I believe that the secruionn thing holds true. But as a sports fan I don’t think that means much.

Someone clearly had a heavy hand in the hiring. I would guess BOR before her…or BOR via her….because clearly it was personal with BJ and she and him never overlapped each other.

Obviously I could be wrong.
Maybe she should have stood her ground on not just crowning the hometown person who checked boxes…but I doubt he was her idea.

I was on a work call this morning with a colleague who's an alum of Iowa State, which has a beautiful campus. It reminded me of Mark Yudof, who came here with a head of steam to beautify the Twin Cities campus and take steps to realize some of Cass Gilbert's original concepts and ambitions, which was very welcome and overdue. So much of what looks good at the U of M is thanks to him. That emphasis was only one of a number of initiatives he pushed during his time here. We need another one like him: someone who's not just trying to refine the status quo but someone with bold and ambitious vision for the present and future.
And be smart enough to make things look decent to visitors.

I’m clearly not tapped into knowing why people hate her so much
Neither am I. Not sure I agree with everything she did and the conflict of interests with Securian looks bad but easily corrected. The issue with the coaching decision is pure rumor and blame seeking more than fact, so I can't hold that against her.

I feel like this is a positive for the athletic programs. I think she was a fine president but sports seemed to be used as a political pawn for her. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but let's hope this helps the teams!!
A fine President? Good or bad for athletics ... Debatable. Disastrous for academics, not much.

I agree. He really did a lot to spruce up the campus, which was in need of a significant makeover IMHO.

My kids will never know the pleasure of having a class in the Science Classroom Building, the temporary-no-wait-it's-permanent glorified shed with rebar sticking out of the concrete for additional floors to be added. Thankfully they tore that friggin' eye sore down and put a real building in its place.

Frosh year I had a class there...good lord that building was ugly!

Yudof was my President and he did a lot for the school. (and was a good dude on top of it) Wish he had stuck around.

Experienced the science classroom first hand. Yeah it was a pisser to have a class in that dump.

Keep up...she was told she couldn't be on the board of Securian and had to resign.
She's also too good for the President's residence. She wanted money for her own private, home.

Complete disaster.

saw some discussion elsewhere that she is or was taking flack for how she has handled - or not handled - the whole issue with the U of MN Hospital and the possible Sanford Health-Fairview merger.

also saw some grumbling that she allegedly has not handled some of the financial duties all that well - could be something, could be sour grapes. don't know. I do know that the U of MN is apparently asking the Legislature for a lot of $$.

I am not seeing any wailing or gnashing of teeth over her departure.

Top Bottom