JMS will not play today

Maybe JMS thought he was going to play, saw the poor field condition, and made a good decision for his future.
From Fleck's quick post game hit on the Gopher's Radio network, they knew all along he was not going to play.

I fully support that decision and applaud him traveling with the team for moral support as well as be a de facto coach.

No brainer that he deserved it.

JMS didn't even have pads on.

Mo played, but mainly the first half to get the records (richly deserved!!!!!). Nubin was suited up, but did he play either? Seemed to be the Green and Bryson show, mainly? And hot damn, what a show it was!

From Fleck's quick post game hit on the Gopher's Radio network, they knew all along he was not going to play.

I fully support that decision and applaud him traveling with the team for moral support as well as be a de facto coach.

exactly. he's clearly there to be there with his guys, talking with Boe to help the transition, etc. Zero problem with it vs the guys who opt out to "focus on the draft" and leave the team. You can lift weights and run 40s while practicing with your team.

JMS didn't even have pads on.

Mo played, but mainly the first half to get the records (richly deserved!!!!!). Nubin was suited up, but did he play either? Seemed to be the Green and Bryson show, mainly? And hot damn, what a show it was!
Also on the radio hit, Fleck also alluded to Mo re-tweaking his ankle during the game so it was not necessarily the (original) plan for him to sit out in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Also on the radio hit, Fleck also alluded to Mo re-tweaking his ankle during the game so it was not necessarily the plan for him to sit out in the 2nd half.
Ah, OK. I'm glad he got the records!

If he's banged up from the season and projected as a top pick, I'm sure Fleck endorsed it after a simple conversation.

Anyone that has even the slightest issue that JMS decided to support his team form the sideline yesterday is a complete jackass of a human being. JMS gave his entire being to the Gophers and fully deserves all of his future success and riches in the NFL. In the end, it is an exhibition game that gives many players valuable practice time. I could make the argument that JMS was being selfless in order for Boe to get playing time and first string reps in practice. JMS is everything you want from a student athlete, proud he wore the maroon and gold and wish him a long, healthy and financially secure future.

Anyone that has even the slightest issue that JMS decided to support his team form the sideline yesterday is a complete jackass of a human being. JMS gave his entire being to the Gophers and fully deserves all of his future success and riches in the NFL. In the end, it is an exhibition game that gives many players valuable practice time. I could make the argument that JMS was being selfless in order for Boe to get playing time and first string reps in practice. JMS is everything you want from a student athlete, proud he wore the maroon and gold and wish him a long, healthy and financially secure future.
Nubin not playing (right?) allowed a potential future star in Bryson to be born! :D

Guessing he's the starter next year at the Nickle/OLB hybrid position that Dixon played this season.

Or does he take over for Howden? I think Green is less well suited to be the masher guy as he is a free safety?

Someone correct me if those are wrong.

Nubin not playing (right?) allowed a potential future star in Bryson to be born! :D

Guessing he's the starter next year at the Nickle/OLB hybrid position that Dixon played this season.

Or does he take over for Howden? I think Green is less well suited to be the masher guy as he is a free safety?

Someone correct me if those are wrong.
8 tackles and a pick 6 is a pretty good first collegiate start. :love:

Could not agree more. It is amazing that we have people so hell bent on being negative that they can find a way to be upset about JMS making the trip even though he didn't play in the game. Can't imagine being wired like that.....

Thank you for the update. Fleck is certainly a players coach, which I like. It’s also going to help in recruiting, especially in the portal era.

Disappointing. If you're opting out, fine, but then don't take the trip.
Maybe he decided not to play when they walked out to the field and decided they need to try 35 different cleats Because the field was an absolute disaster

Couple things:

1st, this is how college FB works now. any bowl game that is not part of the playoffs is a glorified exhibition. the trend is for players to opt out if they have a good chance of being drafted. If Mo already had the records, I bet he would not have played.

2nd - Fleck can be pretty cagy on injuries and player availability. he certainly made it sound as if Nubin and Schmitz would play. turned out they didn't. and then T. Smith only played the first half.

so get used to it. If you're not in the playoffs, the odds are that any player with a chance to be drafted is going to opt out. it basically turns the bowl game into a tryout for younger players. Just have to accept it for what it is - and what it is not.

now, if the game had been played on an actual field instead of frozen slop, maybe some things would have been different. but I can't blame any player for not wanting to play on that mess.

Top Bottom