Jim Tressel chooses to sit five games after NCAA denies appeal on players

Are they not allowed to work jobs in the summer to save up the for upcoming school year if they aren't taking classes? That's what my friends and I all did (and countless other college students). We worked our tails off in the summer and saved up, then lived off of a budget.

I honestly don't know the answer and am curious to know.

And that's actually what I did too. This is a good question, and I don't know the answer either. Hopefully someone can chime in that knows the specifics. I guess the concern would be that it would be as easy for a booster to pay a guy for a do-nothing no-show job during the summer as it would be the rest of the year. Probably even easier if there's less oversight of the players during the summer.

I think you are taking a little bit of an extreme approach here. I would say being big man on campus allows you a pretty active social life. It's not like these guys are bumming around their dorm room because they don't have enough money to go out and get a pizza.

That's true for most guys realistically, but there are some who really are dirt poor. I am using an extreme example, I know, but just throwing it out there for comment.

I think there's a certain mindset out there from some fans of the game that these guys should be locked on campus and think of nothing but studying and football, and that's it.

If they are "dirt poor" and struggling to make ends meet getting a tattoo should not be a primary need. Do Players get a Per Diem when they travel?

Yes getting jobs will be great...then Tressel will just have local business owners hire his players for big cash and they probably won't even need to show up! Yeah that will certainly make college football better ;)

Sorry but I knew athletes at the U while I was there, none of them had any issue going out and having a social life.

Make the agents kick in 10% of their commissions to be paid in equal portions to every player on the roster.

Probably would cause more problems, but I really hate agents.

And be champion of a ten team league? They need the NCAA more than it needs them. The NCAA is protecting them from themselves and their fans, and they know it.

In ROTC, there is a stipend as well as a scholarship. I guess those really want to be Army officers should just go to OCS instead of getting a college degree, huh?

An ROTC scholarship does not pay for room and board. I don't think it provides or pays for books anymore. It used to provide books when I went through NROTC (1971-1975). I don't know that any of the Armed Services provide a commission through OCS if you don't already possess a Bachelors Degree. If you want gold bars without going to college, the normal route is a battlefield commission or going the mustang route, i.e., jumping the ranks from enlisted to officer. Anyway, I would not compare an ROTC scholarship with an NCAA Division 1 athletic scholarship. Think of the ROTC scholarship as a downpayment by Uncle Sam for sending you into harms way to take a bullet at any time during the next 6 years after you graduate.

Do we all realize how much money Jim Tressel's selective abnesia or claimed decision to keep quiet due to a federal investigation allowed The B1G TEN to acquire? Remember, The B1G TEN has a sharing model for bowl proceeds. The reason that I do not believe Tressel will get any further penalty for this snag in his stellar program is because I just do not believe that he truly kept the information to himself; he is just the fall guy to prevent further damage. Besides, whether the five young men was engaging in the trades against NCAA rules would have no impact regarding on field competitive edge like performance inhancers or illegal supplements. Right, hawkeyes?

tOSU won a BCS bowl game for The B1G TEN $$$$$$. Now if we have to return our share of the proceeds after an NCAA investigation of the ordeal, THEN I WILL BE PISSED!:cool:

"Since 2006, the NCAA has sanctioned 27 schools for violating bylaw 10.1. Of the 12 coaches involved, only one kept his job. The others either resigned or were fired by their schools."

The NCAA treats this as a very serious violation . . . unless you bring in a lot of cash for the NCAA. Under those circumstances, apparentl, you get to choose your own punishment. :rolleyes:

This will not ultimately be characterized as a bylaw 10.1 violation because there was an ongoing federal investigation; young people's lives were in danger and one wrong move could spoil years of investigative work and tax dollars spent on the pursuit of the feds target. THIS IS NOT A SMALL ISSUE. Tressel's calm delivery failed to emphasize the fear factor once such information presents. He likely supressed those aspects to maintain credibility with the type of young men that tOSU recruit. :cool:

And that's actually what I did too. This is a good question, and I don't know the answer either. Hopefully someone can chime in that knows the specifics. I guess the concern would be that it would be as easy for a booster to pay a guy for a do-nothing no-show job during the summer as it would be the rest of the year. Probably even easier if there's less oversight of the players during the summer.

That exact thing just happened a couple of years ago at Oklahoma. A bunch of players "worked" at a local car dealership owned by a prominant booster. Once OU found out about it they put a stop to it and self-reported the actions.

Yeah, I totally agree with the whole stipend thing for D1. They could probably afford to give players a $1000 a month without it impacting the bottom line that much. Sure, we'd lose a few schools to a lower division, but so what. That should be enough spending money, right? Make it standard across the board, and then if anyone is caught paying players above that it's instant death penalty.

At 83 scholarships x $1000/mos., that's nearly $1million per season. As they say, that's real money, particularly to a school like the U of M, and even more so to schools in the MAC, et al.

An ROTC scholarship does not pay for room and board. I don't think it provides or pays for books anymore. It used to provide books when I went through NROTC (1971-1975). I don't know that any of the Armed Services provide a commission through OCS if you don't already possess a Bachelors Degree. If you want gold bars without going to college, the normal route is a battlefield commission or going the mustang route, i.e., jumping the ranks from enlisted to officer. Anyway, I would not compare an ROTC scholarship with an NCAA Division 1 athletic scholarship. Think of the ROTC scholarship as a downpayment by Uncle Sam for sending you into harms way to take a bullet at any time during the next 6 years after you graduate.

When I was an undergraduate in nursing, the Navy Nurse Corp offered a $500/mo. stipend and the candidate then entered OCS upon graduation.

And there are no longer battlefield promotions.

Another difference is that ROTC is a military activity that the school facilitates, while sports are a university activity. There's no issues of amateurism with the ROTC that there is for college sports. Technically, battlefield commissions are possible, but haven't been done in decades. There are a number of people who get their college degrees while in the military and then go on to OCS.

At 83 scholarships x $1000/mos., that's nearly $1million per season. As they say, that's real money, particularly to a school like the U of M, and even more so to schools in the MAC, et al.

Plus, if you allow this for the football team, you'd have to do it for all sports. I know football is the big money maker but in today's society, everything has to be fair. Whether you agree with it or not, you know we'd hear arguments like, "The girls on the volleyball team work just as hard as the football players. It's not their fault the sport doesn't create revenue like football does."

Also, $1,000/month is pretty extreme considering their housing and meal plans are all taken care of. I would say $200-250 should be plenty. That would give them a little spending money to buy clothes, and go out on a Friday night.

Top Bottom