Jim Tressel chooses to sit five games after NCAA denies appeal on players

Once again, total Bull$hit...they all should be out for the whole year plus vacate all of last year's games plus future demolition derby projects. Make an example of the BMF programs and grow some balls, NCAA. If the NCAA buys this crap, they will only harbor more of this, therefore where will it end? OH, never mind. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Joel M pretty much said today on espn1500 that if Tressell wasn't winning so many games he would not still have a job.

Joel M pretty much said today on espn1500 that if Tressell wasn't winning so many games he would not still have a job.

Key word "winning so many games." Wonder what that's like.

I have no doubt that tOSU is a dirty program. As I posted in the other thread, and was called "shallow" for it, I suspect that most major programs are dirty to some extent.

That said, I have real issue with the bylaw that the tOSU guys were busted for. It sounds like this tattoo parlor guy is a sleaze, but I really have a problem with a rule that says people can't sell their own private property. When I was in college, I sold my horn from high school because I needed money. I regret it greatly to this day, but it was mine to sell, and I sold it. If I win a ring or have a jersey, it should be no different.

I have no doubt that tOSU is a dirty program. As I posted in the other thread, and was called "shallow" for it, I suspect that most major programs are dirty to some extent.

That said, I have real issue with the bylaw that the tOSU guys were busted for. It sounds like this tattoo parlor guy is a sleaze, but I really have a problem with a rule that says people can't sell their own private property. When I was in college, I sold my horn from high school because I needed money. I regret it greatly to this day, but it was mine to sell, and I sold it. If I win a ring or have a jersey, it should be no different.

There is a point to be made about this issue but the 'Tressel cover-up' is bad news. This could/should get ugly.

I think there are dirty programs and quite a few that are mostly clean. Specifically, I think OSU would fit nicely in the SEC. As far as their "personal property" goes, they can sell their high school horn and probably be okay unless they sell it for way more than market value. If these rules did not exist rich programs would be able to buy players by letting them sell their personal property for way more than market value to fans wanting to help their team by buying players. That is why the rules were put in place, because rich schools were buying players that way, it is not an overly officious rule, the SEC in particular will take any advantage they can.

Once again, total Bull$hit...they all should be out for the whole year plus vacate all of last year's games plus future demolition derby projects. Make an example of the BMF programs and grow some balls, NCAA. If the NCAA buys this crap, they will only harbor more of this, therefore where will it end? OH, never mind. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We hear you. Pull a cold one from the frige and start drinking.

You bought the horn yourself, it wasn't gifted to you by the university, right?

This is Ohio State's latest attempt to lessen NCAA penalties and nothing more imo. The appeal itself was fruitless to begin with and when Tressel was found to have willfully lied to everybody under the sun about his knowledge of the situation, it made the entire appeal process moot.

Whether the NCAA buys this and lessens the penalties remains to be seen. Obviously, Ohio State will play the "we've suffered enough" card. Hopefully, the hammer still falls....

If Jim Tressel had the same resume (national championship, consecutive big ten titles, ect) but he had done all of that at Minnesota....and then he had had this same incident at Minnesota......Minnesota would have already terminated him, reduced scholarships by 15 per year for the next 5 years, and banned themselves from postseason play for the next 2 years.

Ohio State is doing exactly what they should be doing, protecting their investment. Ohio State saw the writing on the wall that the 2 games wasn't going to be enough, so they tried to expand it hoping to curb further suspension. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it to 7 or 8 games before the NCAA officially rules.

If Jim Tressel had the same resume (national championship, consecutive big ten titles, ect) but he had done all of that at Minnesota....and then he had had this same incident at Minnesota......Minnesota would have already terminated him, reduced scholarships by 15 per year for the next 5 years, and banned themselves from postseason play for the next 2 years.

Ohio State is doing exactly what they should be doing, protecting their investment. Ohio State saw the writing on the wall that the 2 games wasn't going to be enough, so they tried to expand it hoping to curb further suspension. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it to 7 or 8 games before the NCAA officially rules.

Interesting points, however, I frankly just think that it is an appropriate move at this time to give an appearance of equitable sanction of players and coach when a clear and unequivocal wrong has been identified. I am also certain that Tressel has a side to this story that has not been made public that at least somewhat dilutes the stinch of this ordeal and his apparent inappropriate conduct. Given his track record, I am having a hard time believing that he did not speak with his superiors following the notice recieved about his players mix with a person under a federal investigation.

I refuse to be a player hater on tOSU. They are very good and we just have to get better. MG is certainly a tOSU caliber type of player. Lets see where we can go with a player like him getting the ball every snap. He will present a TP type of threat to D coordinators each snap.

Lets not act like crabs in a barrel. GO GOPHERS! :cool:

Interesting points, however, I frankly just think that it is an appropriate move at this time to give an appearance of equitable sanction of players and coach when a clear and unequivocal wrong has been identified. I am also certain that Tressel has a side to this story that has not been made public that at least somewhat dilutes the stinch of this ordeal and his apparent inappropriate conduct. Given his track record, I am having a hard time believing that he did not speak with his superiors following the notice recieved about his players mix with a person under a federal investigation.

I refuse to be a player hater on tOSU. They are very good and we just have to get better. MG is certainly a tOSU caliber type of player. Lets see where we can go with a player like him getting the ball every snap. He will present a TP type of threat to D coordinators each snap.

You may well be correct. But I have my doubts based on how this has been going...

I don't know. If you had information that could help clear your name, why would you voluntarily impose further sanctions on yourself (unless you are trying to save your job)? I have read that nearly every coach in recent years who has been in violation of this bylaw has been fired. I don't think he is so noble that he would take voluntary punishment if he could prove otherwise.

Unless his eagerness to accept lesser punishment helps protect him from larger punishment as the NCAA investigates the matter.

Sure...its OK...unless the horn was a gift from the University and you sold it to a U booster for 5 times its actual value.

With all the money that is brought in..time to discuss stipends. Of course the Title IX contigent and small school groups will go up in arms...maybe taking top college football out of the NCAA and forming a separate league for the upper echelon conferences so that these issues are no longer an issue is the right thing to do....don't know...but as long as student athletes cant work during school, don't get stipends and still need money...*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# like this will go on.

Yeah, I totally agree with the whole stipend thing for D1. They could probably afford to give players a $1000 a month without it impacting the bottom line that much. Sure, we'd lose a few schools to a lower division, but so what. That should be enough spending money, right? Make it standard across the board, and then if anyone is caught paying players above that it's instant death penalty.

Let the NFL start their own developmental league. Those players who don't want to go to college could then choose to play in the NFL's D-League. They could get paid, but the compensation they would get probably wouldn't equal the total value of what a scholarship athlete gets, when you count up the value or tuition, room and board, books, etc. It works fine for baseball, with some choosing to go to college, and others going the minor leagues.

Okay, yup you're right. It's totally fair that athletes can't work. Students need money for something besides tuition and books? Ludicrous.

In ROTC, there is a stipend as well as a scholarship. I guess those really want to be Army officers should just go to OCS instead of getting a college degree, huh?

So players should have no money for a social life then?

As for an NFL D-league, why would they do that? It would cost money to the NFL, and nobody would care about it.

I am surprised that some of the major football schools haven't told the NCAA to shove it and broken off already.

Here's what I find hard to believe

"Since 2006, the NCAA has sanctioned 27 schools for violating bylaw 10.1. Of the 12 coaches involved, only one kept his job. The others either resigned or were fired by their schools."

The NCAA treats this as a very serious violation . . . unless you bring in a lot of cash for the NCAA. Under those circumstances, apparentl, you get to choose your own punishment. :rolleyes:

Sure...its OK...unless the horn was a gift from the University and you sold it to a U booster for 5 times its actual value.

With all the money that is brought in..time to discuss stipends. Of course the Title IX contigent and small school groups will go up in arms...maybe taking top college football out of the NCAA and forming a separate league for the upper echelon conferences so that these issues are no longer an issue is the right thing to do....don't know...but as long as student athletes cant work during school, don't get stipends and still need money...*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# like this will go on.

A Full ride is not enough? All your meals? Countless perks?

..but as long as student athletes cant work during school, don't get stipends and still need money...*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# like this will go on./I]

Giving the players a stipend/small $ will NOT make 'it go away'...it would simply set up an entirely new set of rules, compliance etc. which would also get exposed to fraud. The only way to stop it is to enforce what rules are in place now. In the event they are not enforced, punish the violators.

Tressel and OSU look like utter fools. ZERO foresight or regret on how this mess would be received. 5 games is a JOKE too-How about suspending him until the 6th game...a BIG difference from not being on the sidelines for some games...The inevitable spin will be why punish the other kids in the program.

Don't think for a minute that he will not be 'plugged into' the game in some capacity.

I paid $20k+ a year out of my own pocket, was too busy studying and being involved in campus organizations to have time to work a job, yet I was able to have a social life in college. Why aren't they be able to have a social life?

So players should have no money for a social life then?

As for an NFL D-league, why would they do that? It would cost money to the NFL, and nobody would care about it.

I am surprised that some of the major football schools haven't told the NCAA to shove it and broken off already.

If the NCAA goes to a playoff system the major conferences would consider this IMO (though I don't think it would happen)

I paid $20k+ a year out of my own pocket, was too busy studying and being involved in campus organizations to have time to work a job, yet I was able to have a social life in college. Why aren't they be able to have a social life?

The point is that having a social life usually costs at least some amount of money, yet they aren't allowed to make money.

D-I football would not be able to go to a playoff without the backing of the major conferences. If there were any schools who were so disgruntled with a playoff that they would be inclined to go on their own, there wouldn't be enough to make it viable.

The point is that having a social life usually costs at least some amount of money, yet they aren't allowed to make money.

Are they not allowed to work jobs in the summer to save up the for upcoming school year if they aren't taking classes? That's what my friends and I all did (and countless other college students). We worked our tails off in the summer and saved up, then lived off of a budget.

I honestly don't know the answer and am curious to know.

Once again, should they have no social life at all?

I think you are taking a little bit of an extreme approach here. I would say being big man on campus allows you a pretty active social life. It's not like these guys are bumming around their dorm room because they don't have enough money to go out and get a pizza.

Top Bottom