Jim Leonhard staying in Madison

WSP237

Reaction score
If Wisconsin’s new coaching staff can revamp the recruiting, that defense could be sick.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I actually think him staying in Madison is good for the rest of the big ten west.

You essentially just turned a defensive guru into a CEO head coach.

This is pretty surprising since both Fickell and Leonhard are defensive guys but they run different styles of defense. Maybe Leonhard is just biding his time until the Packers fire their DC.

This is pretty surprising since both Fickell and Leonhard are defensive guys but they run different styles of defense. Maybe Leonhard is just biding his time until the Packers fire their DC.
It’s really interesting

Either Wisconsin hired a head coach who calls a defense to just be a CEO OR Wisconsin just hired a DC to run a scheme he has never run before OR JL just took a DC Job where he doesn’t get to call the defense.

All of which would be curious choices.

Maybe the DC didn't want to follow him to Madison. Two of FLuke Fickell's staff at Cincinnati are still in the running for the Head Coach position.

And I was laughed at for wondering this in the Luke Fickell thread. Now I laugh. This just made the Fickell hire that much better. Without Leonhard I don’t think it’s the great hire people thought it was.

Yep, I think PJ once spent a day as a coach somewhere until the phone rang.

And I was laughed at for wondering this in the Luke Fickell thread. Now I laugh. This just made the Fickell hire that much better. Without Leonhard I don’t think it’s the great hire people thought it was.
I actually think it makes the hire worse
If you hire Fickell you are hiring him to run the defense
With JL hire one of those two guys isn’t running their scheme. You either just hired Fickell to be a CEO head coach or you just hired a DC who isn’t an expert in the scheme you are running

You, and several others, wondered that.
If it helps, I didn’t laugh at you.

It’s really interesting

Either Wisconsin hired a head coach who calls a defense to just be a CEO OR Wisconsin just hired a DC to run a scheme he has never run before OR JL just took a DC Job where he doesn’t get to call the defense.

All of which would be curious choices.
Or they keep the defense scheme Wisconsin runs.

Or they keep the defense scheme Wisconsin runs.
Correct
That was one of the options I gave

That means you just hired a Defensive guru from cincinatti to be a CEO head coach as you aren’t running the his scheme

The irony is that the last coach I can remember following the same path as Jim Leonhard is...Luke Fickell. Served an interim term at Ohio State, didn't get the permanent job, but stayed on staff there as defensive coordinator under Urban Meyer for another 5 years. Turned out well for him in the end.

I'm sure that came up when the two men talked.

The irony is that the last coach I can remember following the same path as Jim Leonhard is...Luke Fickell. Served an interim term at Ohio State, didn't get the permanent job, but stayed on staff there as defensive coordinator under Urban Meyer for another 5 years. Turned out well for him in the end.

I'm sure that came up when the two men talked.
true

Huge difference being:
Tressel was an O guy being replaced by Meyer an O guy.
Fickell ran his same scheme in both eras

Fickell is a D guy replacing Chryst an O guy.
Either Fickell is running a scheme that isn’t his own or Leonhard is. Either way it’s kind of awkward

From an HR standpoint it is 100% a match to Fickell’s own career. From a football standpoint it is very different

You’d think he could have found a better fit elsewhere with all of these new coaches being hired.

You’d think he could have found a better fit elsewhere with all of these new coaches being hired.
He might more care about geographic and cultural fit for his life than he cares about schematic fit

Top Bottom