Jerry's honeymoon over?

So far this year they have beaten the teams they should have and have lost to the teams they should have. This years schedule is way more difficult than last year and it shows in fact Kill's team just doesn't have enough talented upper classman to compete in the Big Ten this year. This is a process and takes time.

So far this year they have beaten the teams they should have and have lost to the teams they should have. This years schedule is way more difficult than last year and it shows in fact Kill's team just doesn't have enough talented upper classman to compete in the Big Ten this year. This is a process and takes time.

I'm not sure I agree that this years schedule is at all more difficult than last year (certainly not "way more difficult"). We play the same eight Big 10 teams. Most of the Big 10 teams seem weaker than they were last year. In out of conference, we did not have USC this year.

Do you think they are as good as last year MSU?

Think you are kidding yourself with "...Minnesota should beat them at hone)..." as if Minnesota will be favored in the game. It's certain Minnesota won't be favored.

I'm not sure I agree that this years schedule is at all more difficult than last year (certainly not "way more difficult"). We play the same eight Big 10 teams. Most of the Big 10 teams seem weaker than they were last year. In out of conference, we did not have USC this year.

Maybe it is not way more but the Gophers main rivals are games on the road.

Think you are kidding yourself with "...Minnesota should beat them at hone)..." as if Minnesota will be favored in the game. It's certain Minnesota won't be favored.

You cut off an important part of my sentence. My premises were: we lost by 7 on the road last year, we are better than we were last year, MSU is worse than they were last year. If all three of those is true, and we play at home, I think us being better, them being worse, and home field advantage should result in a 7 point improvement.

Minnesota will not be favored in any of the games for the rest of the year.

I don't know guys... Lately it's just seemed like me and Jerry have grown apart... I mean, I feel like I'm a Big 10 football fan and he's more of a Northern Illinois kind of coach... Maybe we don't match up... So, I sent a text to my old beau Tim but he's got a new love...

There's a difference between expecting a win (nobody was) and expecting a fight. Some people will try to talk about how we were competitive in the first half, just like some people will try to talk about how we were competitive in the second half against Iowa. But, at the end of the day, both of those teams punched us straight in the mouth and we had nothing for them when it came down to it.

As I said elsewhere, this team has had a stunning # of big losses under Kill in just 19 games.

-Michigan (58-0)-Worst Big Ten loss in the history of the program
-Purdue (45-17)
-Nebraska (41-14)
-Wisconsin (42-13)
-Iowa (31-13)
-Wisconsin (38-13)

These aren't just losses, they're beatdowns. People lost their damn minds when Brewster lost to Iowa 55-0, but short of that game, most of his losses were at least competitive spread out over 3.5 seasons, and Brewster is absolutely vilified on this board.

So...ok. I get that Kill is getting his own guys, and he should be given time. But can we put up a damn fight? Can we tackle? Can we work on the snap exchange? Some of this stuff is just humiliating because we don't even look like we belong on the same field as them.

I expected us to finish 5-7 this year, so I'd hardly think my expectations are sky high. But I am tired of being embarrassed, and I think that's where a lot of the grace period has worn off. People are tired of being embarrassed, and the last few weeks have been really embarrassing.

I know that I am more of an optimist than many, but I don't think today was quite as bad as a beat down as you are making it out to be. First of all, we were down 3 offensive linemen and a starting WR. Then we had a QB making his first collegiate start/minutes.

Our defense, even while being put in terrible positions, kept us in the game. In Q3 it was 24-14 and we had them at 3rd and long. From there the wheels came off - primarily due to the defense being on the field pretty much the whole game (aside from 2 drives).

Does this team have issues? Yep. An extremely young offensive line, poor linebacker play, and way too many freaking injuries.

Is there improvement from the last 4 years? Absolutely.

It seems that with many in the sports media and some of the fans the honeymoon is indeed over. Personally I'm rather shocked at the high expectations. If Jerry Kill is not going to turn this program around we'll know it in year 4 or 5, not year 1.5.

+1

You cut off an important part of my sentence. My premises were: we lost by 7 on the road last year, we are better than we were last year, MSU is worse than they were last year. If all three of those is true, and we play at home, I think us being better, them being worse, and home field advantage should result in a 7 point improvement.

If I follow correctly this year's game should end in a tie?

There's a difference between expecting a win (nobody was) and expecting a fight. Some people will try to talk about how we were competitive in the first half, just like some people will try to talk about how we were competitive in the second half against Iowa. But, at the end of the day, both of those teams punched us straight in the mouth and we had nothing for them when it came down to it.

As I said elsewhere, this team has had a stunning # of big losses under Kill in just 19 games.

-Michigan (58-0)-Worst Big Ten loss in the history of the program
-Purdue (45-17)
-Nebraska (41-14)
-Wisconsin (42-13)
-Iowa (31-13)
-Wisconsin (38-13)

These aren't just losses, they're beatdowns. People lost their damn minds when Brewster lost to Iowa 55-0, but short of that game, most of his losses were at least competitive spread out over 3.5 seasons, and Brewster is absolutely vilified on this board.

So...ok. I get that Kill is getting his own guys, and he should be given time. But can we put up a damn fight? Can we tackle? Can we work on the snap exchange? Some of this stuff is just humiliating because we don't even look like we belong on the same field as them.

I expected us to finish 5-7 this year, so I'd hardly think my expectations are sky high. But I am tired of being embarrassed, and I think that's where a lot of the grace period has worn off. People are tired of being embarrassed, and the last few weeks have been really embarrassing.

If we're calling an 18 point loss a beatdown (which I think is fair), it wasn't much different with Brew.
YR - 1:
7 - 30 - Ohio State
20 - 40 Indiana
10 - 34 Michigan
17 - 44 Illinois
YR - 2:
0-55 Iowa
21 - 42 Kansas

If I follow correctly this year's game should end in a tie?
The fact of the matter is that MSU is not nearly as good as they were last year. The lost a ton on offense. Right now, they are 4-4, with games coming against Wisconsin, NU, and NW. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they rolled into TCF at 4-7.

MRJ, you clearly know nothing about football, so i'm not surprised that in year 1.5 of the Kill regime, you're already pulling the plug. Now, for those fans that actually know something about the game, i would guess they're still behind coach Kill and believe he's the right man to get the program headed in the right direction.

Just because someone doesn't slobber over Jerry Kill's amazing success in 1.5 years (sarcasm) doesn't mean they know nothing about football. It's 100 percent valid to question the direction of this program. It's not like Kill is bringing in any instant-impact players next season (or ever)

Just because someone doesn't slobber over Jerry Kill's amazing success in 1.5 years (sarcasm) doesn't mean they know nothing about football. It's 100 percent valid to question the direction of this program. It's not like Kill is bringing in any instant-impact players next season (or ever)

No, but pretty much most all guys playing effectively he recruited in the first two years.

We have 14 seniors counting kickers, holders, guys who don't travel. And maybe 8 seniors who hit the ice at all. That's not how it's supposed to be. Patience and common sense need to be put in the equation.

How can anybody expect Kill to win 3 conference games as a threshold in year two or even three? That's where Mason had us when we had it goin' on. The glory days. Yup, Then we had a five in there. Jerry will get there too but we gotta get older and stay healthier.

If Gray does not get hurt. If the center and the Olson brothers do not get hurt. We could be 7 and 0. Unlikely but possible. Circumstances are a factor. We cannot absorb our injuries and roll along like nothing happened. We don't have the guys.

No, but pretty much most all guys playing effectively he recruited in the first two years.

We have 14 seniors counting kickers, holders, guys who don't travel. And maybe 8 seniors who hit the ice at all. That's not how it's supposed to be. Patience and common sense need to be put in the equation.

How can anybody expect Kill to win 3 conference games as a threshold in year two or even three? That's where Mason had us when we had it goin' on. The glory days. Yup, Then we had a five in there. Jerry will get there too but we gotta get older and stay healthier.

If Gray does not get hurt. If the center and the Olson brothers do not get hurt. We could be 7 and 0. Unlikely but possible. Circumstances are a factor. We cannot absorb our injuries and roll along like nothing happened. We don't have the guys.

BUT WE LOST TODAY! Fire everyone and demand that we win more! How? I don't know! Just win more!

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a coach in year three to approach .500 in the conference. It is still a losing record and it is one Brew was able to achieve in both years 2 and 3. It would be unreasonable for people to expect a championship in year three or even year four but 3 conference wins should not be viewed as some monumental task.

we have not much for defensive talent coming up and we aren't recruiting much

how can the defense be fixed?

i don't think there is talent on the roster defensively now and our recruiting for next year looks weak

i'm trying to be optimistic but man, how to get out of the hole

MRJ, you clearly know nothing about football, so i'm not surprised that in year 1.5 of the Kill regime, you're already pulling the plug. Now, for those fans that actually know something about the game, i would guess they're still behind coach Kill and believe he's the right man to get the program headed in the right direction.

And you clearly know nothing about reading comprehension. I never said I was pulling the plug on anything. You've got your undies in a bunch because Kill and Teague have made fools of themselves this week and are being called out on it. I have already said I hope this works out. But just keep railing on how anybody that dares point out the obvious knows nothing. I'm sure people will begin to see the light of brilliance that this past week has brought to the U program.

Jerry just needs to get to a Bowl game and everything will be good in Gopherland. 2 more wins...this Nelson move will help that.

Jerry just needs to get to a Bowl game and everything will be good in Gopherland. 2 more wins...this Nelson move will help that.

If the plan going forward is to use the QB as the primary running back (Nelson had 16 carries, Kirkwood and Williams combined for 11 I believe) then a healthy Gray is the best be we have for getting 2 wins and to a bowl game. Nelson looked Ok as a runner, certainly better then Max but his running ability did not look like something that is going to be a weapon the way it is with Gray and some other QB's in the conference.

That being said i doubt we turn back now even if/when Gray is 100%. Once you make a move like this your best bet is to stick with it. The scary thing to me is what happens next year. If I were in Shortell's shoes I would take a good hard look at my options which would leave us pretty thin at the QB position should he decide to transfer. If you are going to run an offense where your QB is the primary runner you better have a good backup.

I don't know guys... Lately it's just seemed like me and Jerry have grown apart... I mean, I feel like I'm a Big 10 football fan and he's more of a Northern Illinois kind of coach... Maybe we don't match up... So, I sent a text to my old beau Tim but he's got a new love...

Good news Jerry Kill has 6 more years on his contract. It is best we get behind him if not you can always cheer on St. Thomas or Augsburg. ;)

we have not much for defensive talent coming up and we aren't recruiting much

how can the defense be fixed?

i don't think there is talent on the roster defensively now and our recruiting for next year looks weak

i'm trying to be optimistic but man, how to get out of the hole
How about depth? How about more time in the S&C program? How about a better offense? Wisconsin had the ball almost 10 minutes more than the Gophers, the Gopher defense was worn down at the end of the game.

Good news Jerry Kill has 6 more years on his contract. It is best we get behind him if not you can always cheer on St. Thomas or Augsburg.

Mason/Monson/Brew/North Carolina ;). Contracts mean nothing and if Kill is winning 1-2 games a year in the B10 in year 4, he will be gone.

If the plan going forward is to use the QB as the primary running back (Nelson had 16 carries, Kirkwood and Williams combined for 11 I believe) then a healthy Gray is the best be we have for getting 2 wins and to a bowl game. Nelson looked Ok as a runner, certainly better then Max but his running ability did not look like something that is going to be a weapon the way it is with Gray and some other QB's in the conference.

That being said i doubt we turn back now even if/when Gray is 100%. Once you make a move like this your best bet is to stick with it. The scary thing to me is what happens next year. If I were in Shortell's shoes I would take a good hard look at my options which would leave us pretty thin at the QB position should he decide to transfer. If you are going to run an offense where your QB is the primary runner you better have a good backup.
It was Nelson's first start, I think that the more comfortable he get's back there the more you will see him throw. Check out this Chandler Harnish video and tell me Nelson doesn't look very similar.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R3r2QIv_pyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mason/Monson/Brew/North Carolina ;). Contracts mean nothing and if Kill is winning 1-2 games a year in the B10 in year 4, he will be gone.

+1 If there is anything we should have figured out by now in college athletics it is that contracts don't mean anything. Yes there is more of a buyout involved but that won't keep them from making a change if the wins are not showing up in a couple of years. NOT SAYING IT WILL HAPPEN AFTER THIS YEAR OR EVEN NEXT YEAR, just wanted to put that out in caps so that when I get ripped for saying he gets fired after this season I can go back to it. :cool:

It was Nelson's first start, I think that the more comfortable he get's back there the more you will see him throw. Check out this Chandler Harnish video and tell me Nelson doesn't look very similar.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R3r2QIv_pyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As runners they look very similar though Harnish may have been a little shiftier, tough to say. Tough to say if he will be as good a passer because Harnish was pretty solid. The other huge question will be durability, and Nelson's ability to stand getting hit a lot because they definitely like the QB draw which almost always results in your QB taking a shot from a LB. Those LB's in the BIG are bigger and stronger then the ones in the MAC. Not saying it won't work or that he won't be able to take the pounding, I just hope they have a good backup option ready to go if he can't.

Top Bottom