Jerry Palm says Gophers stepping up non-conf schedule, can build stronger NCAA case

BTW, my apology, FarmerClone, for the harsh words in my previous posts. Sometimes, it is not easy to tell a real person from a troll. I often wrongly assume that outsiders are trolls.

SS, I should have said something like a rpi top 80 or so instead of 60. My opinion is that ISU will be about 9th of the Big 12 and finish below rpi 100.

We could finish ninth in the Big 12, but seventh is more likely and we will push for an NCAA spot IMO. We return four starters from last year that were three sophs and one freshman. They are now more experienced and we return 7 players that played in the rotation last year and we bring in two players in Marquis Gilstrap and Chris Colvin that are considered impact players. We also add Marquette transfer Scott Christopherson (a former Rivals 150 player), redshirt freshman LA Pomlee, JUCO transfer Laron Dendy (a former Rivals 150 player) and freshman Antwon Oliver. Pomlee and Christopherson have been in Ames for a year and should benefit from knowing the system. Since Greg has been in Ames, his biggest downfalls have been player retention, lack of player experience and depth. We have all those things this year. We retained all our best players, we have a full compliment of 13 players and are legitimately two deep at every position and we have a senior and four juniors that have played a lot of minutes for ISU.

I am not expecting us to win 25 games, but we have a tremendous schedule that should allow us a top 40 SOS this season and I think we have enough weapons to win games. A top 75 RPI is my expectation.

I took no offense at your words GoFerit. These boards are all about debate. Everyone has their own opinion.

I think Iowa St is a natural "rivalry" opponent for the Gophers.

Big 12 caliber team in close proximity to TC. And relatively easy to get W most years.

You obviously have a short memory of ISU and Minnesota if you think that Minnesota would have an easy W against ISU in "most years". ISU has one two of the last three in the last five years and we have been pretty medciore those years compared to what we were for most of the couple decades before that under Eustachy, Floyd and Orr. Maybe going forward your statement will be true, but had the series been in affect for the last 25 continuous years, I would have taken my chances with my Clones holding their own.

I think this is a great series for the fans and the fans obviously agree as the attendance for the two games were both at least a 1000 fans above the typical non-conference game for either school. It is a good Big Ten-Big 12 natural rivalry series that I would like to see continued. I would not mind seeing ISU try and schedule Wisconsin, Illinois or Northwestern instead if the Gophers do not wish to continue it. But in lieu of that, ISU has managed to schedule Duke, California, Bradley, Houston, Iowa, Northern Iowa, Drake, North Dakota State, St Louis and either Notre Dame or Northwestern this year, all of which were decent squads last year. I would just like to see some more border rivalries started as I think it gives the fans something to look forward to.

FarmerClone,

I see you are back with a more optimistic outlook for your team. From an around top 100 to top 75. Please, not to worry. I am not going to be petty about it. But, you know that your new prediction is a very optimistic one.

I am waiting for SelectionSunday’s reply on this. In order to discuss our difference, we need to establish our opinions about ISU’s place in Big 12, which was why I started with my prediction of 9th finish and below 100 overall. But, this is again a matter of opinion, so the discussion should not be overly heated or lingering. Just making sure where we stand and how we understand things.

Otherwise, I will reply to you as to why I think ISU has a chance to hang with Baylor, Texas A&M, and Nebraska (so, somewhere between 7 and 10). But, because ISU suffers from the same problem we are having, I am not going to be overly optimistic about you guys as I am not about our prospect. Although I am not greatly informed, I can offer a reasonable -- I hope -- view on Big 12.

Good night.

BTW, this could be the very first time that FOT got somewhat critical of Tubby, albeit implicitly. Hey FOT, I think Tubby made a mistake by cancelling the ISU series. It is a good “rivalry.” Everything about the series looks rosy for us.

You obviously have a short memory of ISU and Minnesota if you think that Minnesota would have an easy W against ISU in "most years". ISU has one two of the last three in the last five years and we have been pretty medciore those years compared to what we were for most of the couple decades before that under Eustachy, Floyd and Orr. Maybe going forward your statement will be true, but had the series been in affect for the last 25 continuous years, I would have taken my chances with my Clones holding their own.

I think this is a great series for the fans and the fans obviously agree as the attendance for the two games were both at least a 1000 fans above the typical non-conference game for either school. It is a good Big Ten-Big 12 natural rivalry series that I would like to see continued. I would not mind seeing ISU try and schedule Wisconsin, Illinois or Northwestern instead if the Gophers do not wish to continue it. But in lieu of that, ISU has managed to schedule Duke, California, Bradley, Houston, Iowa, Northern Iowa, Drake, North Dakota State, St Louis and either Notre Dame or Northwestern this year, all of which were decent squads last year. I would just like to see some more border rivalries started as I think it gives the fans something to look forward to.

Most years, now that Tubby is Gophers' coach.

In my opinion, if the Gophers played Iowa State in Ames this season & lost, I do not think it would be a "bad loss." That's only conjecture on my part, of course.

I tend to agreee with Farmer Clone on this one. I think ISU will be much improved this season, a borderline NCAA/NIT squad that will have plenty of opportunities for quality wins with a stud like Brackins. At absolute minimum, I 'd expect ISU to finish in the top 100 of the RPI, if for no other reason its OOC schedule is solid & I expect them to beat some of the good teams they'll play.

SS, fair enough. At least, I know where you are coming from although we do not agree on the point. I am looking forward to reading your excellent articles on our team and basketball in general. Good day.

Same to you GoFerit. The season can't get here soon enough. I think we can agree on the fact that Gopher basketball is on the way up, as is the Big 10. 2009-10 should be a great one in the Big 10.

FarmerClone,

Please, allow me to explain my perspective by example of how I see my team and our place in the conference. It is easier that way to demonstrate the way I think, and it is to show I am not cooking up thoughts and logic in order to carry out this argument in my favor as our argument is perhaps inconsequential to what's happening out in reality.

Our biggest problems are guard plays and perimeter shooting. They are inconsistent and sub par comparing to those of the second tier Big 10 teams we have to compete with. We do have talent, athleticism, defense, depth, etc. But, like many others, I believe guard plays are the soul of college basketball, and we lack that. I have not seen real evidence for the improvement in the aforementioned areas or the degree of improvement necessary to beat the second tier teams consistently. So, I don’t buy into a rather inflated optimism -- I seriously hope I am wrong, though -- based on the rhetoric of “all key members returning and improving.” Fortunately, Illinois has lost Meacham, Frazier, and some key supporting players although they have new additions. Based on that, my prediction has consistently been “5th in the conference ahead of Illinois and a marginal top 25 finish” although I am hoping for finishing 4 in the conference and a legit top 25. Once we solidify the backcourt, which I hope will come into fruition in a year or so, we will be truly competitive. That is how my thinking goes.

As for your team, you have a beast in Craig Brackins. But, ISU has been in disarray when it comes to guard plays and perimeter shooting. Improvement in guard plays is not easily acquired. It takes time as it requires maturity in skill, court vision, decision making, etc. ISU indeed added two shooting guards and Gilstrap, a Juco transfer. I think Gilstrap is your best bet to relieve the trouble in perimeter shooting, but Juco transfers are not always meaningful contributors in the first year (he has one year of eligibility, I heard). So, your improvement in the aforementioned areas may be limited or not significant enough to beat your competitors consistently -- like the problem we have. Also, ISU’s recruiting class into the season is overall worse than those of the competitors.

The rest of the third tier of Big 12, I expect, would be Nebraska, Baylor, and Texas A&M. The Aggies are sort of a borderline case as they are not as strong and balanced as the second tier teams, but they look better and more balance than the other third tier teams at this point – even after losing Elonu and Carter. A very good recruiting class to boot, as well.

Nebraska is a different story. They lost some key players and added a pool of decent talent including three Juco transfers. Their backcourt will be pesky again though not good enough to win as many games as they did last season, I suspect. Since it is not easy for Juco transfers to make adjustments to fit into a more structured system, the Huskers are indeed a game for ISU this season unless their young frontcourt players are beginning to show some maturity. If the frontcourt has some improvement with the addition of the two new players, then they will be too much for ISU.

Baylor is an odd team. They could be a second tier team last season; then, they imploded in the conference season. However, as demonstrated in the conference tourney and the NIT, they had a very capable backcourt. Though they lost Jerrells, the remaining key members of the backcourt will pose a serious problem to ISU. Good news is they also lost Rogers and his inside production. They have a very good recruiting class. But, I doubt there is anyone in the roster who can fill the hole inside. Otherwise, they could have been a second tier team.

So, this is what I see. As shown last season, Brackins alone cannot do it. ISU definitely need to improve backcourt and perimeter shooting required to have a realistic chance to be in the mix with the Aggies, the Husker, and the Bears. Othewise, ISU may finish as they did last season. However, the Huskers have new comers and still young guys to carry the frontcourt duties. Although their guard plays will be pesky, they are susceptible. The powerful backcourt of Baylor may be too much for ISU even if they cannot find a man who can truly replace Kevin Rogers. But, they cannot find a meaningful addition in the paint, they can be beaten. Realistically speaking, I think ISU can take over one of those teams. The other more optimistic scenarios do not sound as realistic to me. Hence, 9th in the conference and below 100…

But again, that is just my opinion, and I do think your prediction is a good possibility.

I know you have an agenda here to push for the series between ISU and U. I think you know where I stand. And, I see deterioration of ISU after this season from losing Brackins. So, we need not continue this discussion, in my opinion.

BTW, I am a very minority voice in this forum. Although I do not have many posts, I was an active member about ten years ago and sort of know how the forum works. I am sure a majority of ppl here do not care what I say, let alone liking what I say. In some sense, I may be a good talk partner for your agenda since I am often frowned upon and against the series (enemy of my eneny stuff). But, you may be better off with more knowledgeable, upstanding, likeable members whom you can find in abundance here. I only resurfaced to argue about some scheduling issues. Since I am done with it, I am submerging again.

So…. Good luck to you.

Thanks, SS. Yes, we do agree on the future of our team. Hopefully, we will be able to raise the Big Ten banner in a couple of years. See you around…

Here is my reasons as to why I am cautiously optimistic ISU can move up in the Big 12 GoFerit:

"Improvement in guard plays is not easily acquired. It takes time as it requires maturity in skill, court vision, decision making, etc"
You are right and last year we started two sophomores and had a soph and a freshman come off the bench to join two senior walk ons in the backcourt. This year, we start probably two juniors in Garrett and Staiger and have a senior in Gilstrap to join them. Staiger and Buckley were in the first year of D1 action last year and I think they will show improvement this year. We add in Scott Christopherson who as a transfer was at ISU last year and knows the system. And we add in a top 100 recruit in Colvin that will not be thrown to the wolves but will get playing time a he earns it. Our backcourt depth, speed and experience is much improved from last year.

"Also, ISU’s recruiting class into the season is overall worse than those of the competitors. "

While this is true, Gilstrap was called the 21st best recruit overall in the country by ESPN and Colvin is a top 100 player. We also have two players coming off redshirt that will add depth and are not included in that recruiting class.

"The rest of the third tier of Big 12, I expect, would be Nebraska, Baylor, and Texas A&M."

Nebraska lost like 70% of it's scoring and rebounding from last year including their best player in Ade Dagunduro. ISU spilt with them last year and we return like 80% of our scoring and 70% of our rebounding and I would not trade our recruits for theirs. Doc is a heck of a coach and I will not sell him short, but right now, he has 14 scholarship players and still has to boot someone of his team as classes start today. I find it interesting that ISU returns as much as we do, Nebraska loses what they do and their recruits received less praise, stars and BCS offers than ISU recruits and you still think the Huskers will be too much for ISU. If that is your belief, then you are right, ISU will suck. Because if we cannot be better than Nebraska this year, 10th is very likely in the Big 12 with only Tech and Colorado behind us.

Baylor is always loaded with talent but Drew is not a very good coach. He lets his boys run, but they do not play good defense. They lost three of their top five in Jerrells, Rogers and Dugat, but do add a name you should know in the transfer from Michigan that is a master of shot blocking. I am sure you remember Epke Udoh. The question is, can Drew make a team out of them?

The Big 12 is loaded and ISU can be an improved team and still not have any more wins than last year, but I see reasons to believe improvement is quite possible and time will tell if it happens or not.

Top Bottom