Jerry Kill's Recruiting 101

Jerry Kill has been asked the question about how you figure out whether or not a kid with academic issues is worth the gamble. His response was something along the lines of you have to do your homework. You talk to everyone, their teachers, coaches, family, and try to figure out what has been keeping him from succeeding.

And I completely agree with Gopherprof on the whole 5* thing. There is no way we or any other school, regardless of system or scheme, would turn away a top ~20 recruit in the country.

I am trying to imagine the cenario where a 5* QB with a cannon of an arm just loves the U and wants to commit even though he has slightly below average running skills which is a poor fit for the system Coach Kill prefers. Does Coach Kill say, "Dad gum son, we'd love to have you and we'll scrap our entire offensive set and all of the recruits we have invested in over the years to make you fit" or "Son, I know you have dreamed of playing for us since you were 10 but we really think you can best help us as a possession WR." I will with great certainty say that it will be the latter and, 99% of the time, the recruit is never heard from again.

If there was a 5* QB out there, in other words one of the top 10 players in the country most likely that wanted to come to the U I can say with absolute certainty that the coaching staff would not only offer the kid they would do everything in their power to make sure the kid signed here. Your example might fit a little better if you are talking a 4* or highly rated 3* that doesn't fit scheme wise.

Cam Newton.

Ya, the way Cam shut down that Oregon offense was awesome!!! Plus the way he led his team to 22 pts in that game, it was all him, he was explosive! No other player could have ever led that offense to 22 points against Oregon. Plus, just look how he's led the Panthers to the superbowl.

Appreciate you putting the list together. Looks good. I concur on most. I'm sure their are a lot of Isaac Fruechte fans out there, but I don't know why everyone isn't a fan at this point. 6'3" and probably the fastest WR we'll have next year. (Put him in the group with Marcus Jones and DCT) He's matured, son of a Coach, Minnesota kid, and has just as good a highlight video as anyone. I'm sure someone will post the link. I know these highlights aren't against BCS schools, but its also not against high school kids like our other recruits.

Let's just say I'm pulling for him.

So they will make allowances for 3 star players, but not 4 star players. Makes sense.

It's still an question of academics. Quite frankly, most JUCOs are going to be higher academic risks.

And that's ok, almost everyone takes risks. It's what you do to win games. I'd be willing to buy that Kill will take less than Brewster, but the idea that he's not getting 4 star players because he cares so much about classroom performance...it's like saying you're not dating a supermodel because you care so much about personality.

Non-transferable credits may have nothing to do with academic risk. You also don't know if the kid went Juco because he needed more time to develop physically to get a D-1 offer instead of playing D-II out of high school. Assuming makes an ass-outa-u Prof.

...and to the top of the Jerry Kill recruiting 101 list -- keep your #1 in-state recruit AT HOME! Well done coach!:clap:

It's all about balance. In 2008-09, we were able to get verbals from a lot of highly recruited guys, but many were risky and it hurt us. It appears to me that Kill wants to "lay the foundation" with guys who are low risk. Once you have that foundation, you can maybe take more chances because you still have a solid backup plan in that same class along with a good walk on program.

It's all about balance. In 2008-09, we were able to get verbals from a lot of highly recruited guys, but many were risky and it hurt us. It appears to me that Kill wants to "lay the foundation" with guys who are low risk. Once you have that foundation, you can maybe take more chances because you still have a solid backup plan in that same class along with a good walk on program.

+1

Instate #1, #3, #4, #6, #7, #8, #10. If only Western Michigan hadn't beat us out for Harden! We'll get our revenge September 15!

Top Bottom