Jerry Kill

Should Minnesota bring back Jerry Kill?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now his staff is getting fleeced. OC Beck headed to Vanderbilt and DB coach headed to Mississippi State.

IMO.. if you could give Kill and Fleck the exact same 70 person roster and said coach them up Kill would beat Fleck… Kill IMO is a better football coach… Fleck the better person to run a power 5 program…IF that makes sense??
Disagree with this. I think fleck coaches a better team than kill

Temper and health aside, as a football coach Kill is dedicated and a winner overall (remember Northern Illinois, among others). What I remember most often from the Kill/Claeys era was how tough they were on defense when playing top 20 teams, usually losing but close. For example against #1 Ohio State, 14-28 (2015); same year against #15 Michigan, 26-29, against #8 Iowa, 35-40 (All Claeys); 2014 against #8 Ohio State, 24-31; same year against #21 Nebraska, 28-24 victory, #14 Wisconsin, 24-34; In 2013, #11 Michigan St, 3-14, #16 Wisconsin, 7-16; 2011, #25 USC 17-19, #15 Michigan State 24-31. But some first year blowout losses including 0-58, Michigan. After that, over the next five years, no one-sided blowouts, with Claeys going 9-4 in his only full year (2016), losing in overtime to Penn State, 26-29.
2015 27-0 northwestern
48-25 Nebraska

Feel free to remember whatever you want to remember.

The number one reason Kill or claeys would never work out at MN is this.

They’re idiots.
Somehow one of their players urinated on the practice facility of an opponent. It was kept under wraps the whole year..

Now after the bowl game they choose to let the whole country know. Stupid doesn’t work in a big media market

Temper and health aside, as a football coach Kill is dedicated and a winner overall (remember Northern Illinois, among others). What I remember most often from the Kill/Claeys era was how tough they were on defense when playing top 20 teams, usually losing but close. For example against #1 Ohio State, 14-28 (2015); same year against #15 Michigan, 26-29, against #8 Iowa, 35-40 (All Claeys); 2014 against #8 Ohio State, 24-31; same year against #21 Nebraska, 28-24 victory, #14 Wisconsin, 24-34; In 2013, #11 Michigan St, 3-14, #16 Wisconsin, 7-16; 2011, #25 USC 17-19, #15 Michigan State 24-31. But some first year blowout losses including 0-58, Michigan. After that, over the next five years, no one-sided blowouts, with Claeys going 9-4 in his only full year (2016), losing in overtime to Penn State, 26-29.
Always losing.

The man did a great job at NMSU, losing some of the coaches he brought in has to be hard.

If anyone wants to dismiss what JK did at NMSU, give it up,

His rant against the AD at UNM is not some random outburst, if it was I'd be shocked. There are a lot of NM politics involved and Jerry is on the bottom of the ladder and others in ABQ (Ricky JR Pitino for example) are near the top.

Jerry thought his program took some abuse this week, and they probably did. Jerry Kill fights and pushes hard for his side, and my preference would be to be on the side with someone like that.

Sure, fighters get it wrong once in a while, but go along mushers like Maturi get squashed every time.

NMSU QB threw for under 60 yards in a 27 point loss. I’m not sure that an additional practice would have mattered—but it sounds like they got to practice still.

Kill is not good in bowl games. I’d be curious to see his record off of a bye week.

They’re idiots.
Somehow one of their players urinated on the practice facility of an opponent. It was kept under wraps the whole year..

Now after the bowl game they choose to let the whole country know. Stupid doesn’t work in a big media market
Both claim to have class but in reality they're petty rural town s#!t talkers.

NMSU QB threw for under 60 yards in a 27 point loss. I’m not sure that an additional practice would have mattered—but it sounds like they got to practice still.

Kill is not good in bowl games. I’d be curious to see his record off of a bye week.
1 win in 7 bowl games.

It’s strange. For a guy who can clearly build a program, just doesn’t often win those bowl games.

Jerry Kill is his own worst enemy.
Yep, damaged his own legacy here by the way he behaved after he left and now chooses to air some petty grievance between the two schools after they get their butts kicked in the bowl game.

He should hire someone to sit near him anytime he has a microphone around him to pull it away the moment he starts going off script. :)

Last edited:

They’re idiots.

It was known back in September.

Is Jerry losing it? From talking about coaches ex-wifes to pissing on fields...

It was known back in September.

Yeah, this wasn't a secret. That said, UNM should have had no right to try to limit/ban the Aggies from the facility for the bowl game. Practice facility use would be written into the bowl contract I'd think.

Yeah, this wasn't a secret. That said, UNM should have had no right to try to limit/ban the Aggies from the facility for the bowl game. Practice facility use would be written into the bowl contract I'd think.
Yeah, neither side looks good in all this. But in the end it sounds like NMSU was allowed to use the indoor so it probably all boils down to some adults behaving like children behind the scenes that Kill apparently was so ticked off about still that he felt his post game press conference was a good place to rant about it.

It wasn’t a secret. But nobody knew about this incident until Jerry chose to bring it up to the only nationally televised press room he has had all year 😂

Bold strategy cotton

I mean were they REALLY worried someone would piss on their field again? I really doubt it.

I suspect it was more of a rivalry thing. For an unrelated bowl game I think it is kinda dink-ish for an AD (if their AD really was the one who made the call) to make it difficult for a visiting team to use the field. AD's job is to be an adult at the very least.

Take your loss and do better next year and be a good sport in the meantime. A
Yes? Or something else. They did it once there is no reason to not think they will do something again. Why should they get the benefit of the doubt?

Would you let a drunk Iowa couple use your bathroom during a football game? ;)

Yep, damaged his own legacy here by the way he behaved after he left and now chooses to air some petty grievance between the two schools after they get their butts kicked in the bowl game.

He should hire someone to sit near him anytime he has a microphone around him to pull it away the moment he starts going off script. :)
Well, that was Rebecca’s job.

Ya know, ol’ Jer is a ball coach. He didn’t want to say it but when you’re making men brick by brick ya gotta say it. He wasn’t their first choice or second choice or heck, who knows, maybe he isn’t even a choice at all. But he’s gonna take them boys and make em men and teach em to be men and heck, maybe even win a game along the way cause ol jer? He’s a ball coach. All he can do. Not sure what he’d do otherwise cause ya know ya gotta coach to make men from boys and build it up

Top Bottom