Jerry Kill Signing Day Presser:Not worried about Jeff Jones qualifying, recruited...

GopherLady

Reaction score
length and speed, and this is his 3rd class, the most important one that turns the tide.

Here are my live notes, not verbatim, for those of you who couldn't watch his press conference.

• It went really well, my best recruit’s is drinking coffee in the back here, Rebecca, she’s going to play slot receiver for us. We feel like this is a really good class for us. We worked really hard to put together this class. We had specific needs. We moved our team forward. It’s a class that’s got the cold weather skill, that’s important here. We had certain focuses on certain positions. We’ve done some good things, being smart with our personnel and how we recruit. We’ve added a tremendous amount of depth to our football team, we’ve done that each year.
• On what cold weather skill – kids that have played in cold weather. Gentry has played in Ohio, James, a St. Louis kids. We have not had a great winter, when they come to my house and see a 10 foot snow drift, it's not easy.
• Gibson - he is multi-purpose. He had a visit at South Carolina, and he stayed with his commitment. He has a really good Dad, who felt really good about our staff. It's a great gift for us. He's a great bball player, just a really athletic kid.
• We've got to improve our offense. We signed an entire defensive line, we only signed one D-back, because we're really loaded, next year we'll take 3. We would have taken 1 more, we had a kid coming our way but went to Vanderbilt. We needed receivers, guys that are flexible. Guys that could play TE, that can do different things. Elmore - he said 1/2 of his house is in MN, and 1/2 is in WI, he's a tremendous athlete. 360 dunk, recruited by everyone, he made a commitment that he was coming to the U of MN, and he and his coach just shut down recruiting.
• We've been fortunate that several people just shut down their recruiting. You look at Connor Mayes, his brother got a big push last year, and he wouldn't turn. Connor was recruited by everyone in the country. He stayed committed, that's not always easy to do. The big fella can play now. We built relationships while recruiting. Our QB was offered by Nebraska, and 2 other Big 12 teams, but with relationships with coaches and things, we were able to move our program forward.
• I don't know if you watch the Super Bowl and the Seahawks, we put all our emphasis on defense.
• We want competition, that's why Pete Carroll was successful at USC, there's competition to stay good. Alabama loses a lot more than you think when you have competition. We needed help at the skill positions on offense. Those 2 freshman wide receivers are going to be good.
• Melvin Holland is a great kid. They've got length and speed, and that's how you win right now.
• Talk to Jeff Jones, it's about relationships. That kid was a freshman when he came to camp. He was different. We built a relationship for a long time, the relationship with Ra'Shede helped, the guys' going to be a 1st round draft pick. Hageman told Jones that Kill will do anything to help him get there if you work hard for him. The way I look at Washburn, there was 500 people there, that's 500 more fans.
• I never really mentioned Jeff Jones's other visits. Life is about trust. He always wanted to play at MN. It's hard when other schools come and you have a lot of people in your ear. Deep down, he's always wanted to play in his home state. He told me that when he was a freshman. He's a smart kid now, and deep down, he stayed with it. I don't think you're ever confident in this deal, in recruiting. Coach Claeys had a big part of getting him. Do I get a little concerned when you're talking about Florida, Michigan, and a great All-Star game...that can make your head spin. It makes you a little nervous, but I was never like "no way." because we built a good relationship. The success that Ra'Shede has had here had an influence. I surprised Ra'Shede and Jimmy Ward at the Senior Bowl, I think those kids, they tell him "that's important" and it's important to our state. That will bring some competition to the party, and we want that if we want to compete in the Big 10. When we got in and played WI and MSU, if we had a little more fire power...that would have helped.
• I'm not going to comment on all that because I don't know if you know the whole story, but I'm not worried about it. We've done our research.
• The great thing about recruiting a kid from Canada, actually 2 of them - we built a relationship with him in the summertime, Julian is a good looking kid. They do high school 19/20 years old, so he's mature. He speaks 4 different languages. Spanish, German, English and French. He's well educated. He'll be further along because he's older.
• Will the recruiting continue? We have junior day on Sunday, and it starts all over again. I'm always got a couple of things in the pocket in case something happens. But we're not going to take somebody at the last second. We also put Peter Mortell on scholarship, that's one less schollie, but I don't look at it that way, he deserves it. We had 7 starters last year that walked on and we rewarded with a scholarship.
• Ferra is a huge gift for us, I explained to him our situation, we've had him in camp. His Coach, I've known for a long time. If his coach tells me something, I'm going to believe. He wanted to be at MN, he didn't care about scholarships anywhere, that's a heck of a recruit for us. An A plus family and an A-plus coach.
• You recruit good players, you're not going to get them overnight. Ohio State may do that, but we have to work work work. You've got to have a back up plan. All 3 of the receivers we got, had what we wanted because they fit into what we do. Brian Anderson did a great job, he built a relationship with the kid and his Dad. All 3 of them come from very winning programs. Sometimes it's not bad to know how to win.
• It's the 3rd class, maybe the most important class. When you're building a program, that class is the one that turns the tide. Our APR is one of the highest in the nation. We have to continue to recruit, and put pressure on the other players to improve. They all can run, they all have length. You look at what length can do for you - like Michigan State, we're very similar to them.

(On driving for the 1st time last night) - It is true, it's the 1st time in 2 years that I'm driving. All those people that speculated that I can't do certain things, I can. I beat cancer. I can't say I drove well. I hadn't drove in 2 years, and I'm sitting there coming back from Joe Sensors. My wife was instructing me, bottom line is I did it. I told everybody that I recruited, that didn't effect it at all, I told them how it was, and it might of helped us, I was straight forward, and not everyone is. I've got a chip on my shoulder, and so do these kids.

Coach Kill's press conference was the best I have ever heard!
He is taking these kids and turning the corner toward some
real success! Here we come! Proud to be a Gopher Fan!

BTW...Nadine, great job!

Great notes, thanks Nadine!

To clarify for others' reference, the following quote was in reference to a question about Jeff Jones' academic situation:
"• I'm not going to comment on all that because I don't know if you know the whole story, but I'm not worried about it. We've done our research. "

Great notes, thanks Nadine!

To clarify for others' reference, the following quote was in reference to a question about Jeff Jones' academic situation:
"• I'm not going to comment on all that because I don't know if you know the whole story, but I'm not worried about it. We've done our research. "

Thank you, yes. He didn't want to comment, but wasn't worried about Jeff Jones qualifying. After talking to some other guys at the press conference far more involved with recruiting than me, and that know Jeff decently, they also didn't think he'd have an issue qualifying. So that's promising!

length and speed, and this is his 3rd class, the most important one that turns the tide.

Here are my live notes, not verbatim, for those of you who couldn't watch his press conference.

• It went really well, my best recruit’s is drinking coffee in the back here, Rebecca, she’s going to play slot receiver for us. We feel like this is a really good class for us. We worked really hard to put together this class. We had specific needs. We moved our team forward. It’s a class that’s got the cold weather skill, that’s important here. We had certain focuses on certain positions. We’ve done some good things, being smart with our personnel and how we recruit. We’ve added a tremendous amount of depth to our football team, we’ve done that each year.
• On what cold weather skill – kids that have played in cold weather. Gentry has played in Ohio, James, a St. Louis kids. We have not had a great winter, when they come to my house and see a 10 foot snow drift, it's not easy.
• Gibson - he is multi-purpose. He had a visit at South Carolina, and he stayed with his commitment. He has a really good Dad, who felt really good about our staff. It's a great gift for us. He's a great bball player, just a really athletic kid.
• We've got to improve our offense. We signed an entire defensive line, we only signed one D-back, because we're really loaded, next year we'll take 3. We would have taken 1 more, we had a kid coming our way but went to Vanderbilt. We needed receivers, guys that are flexible. Guys that could play TE, that can do different things. Elmore - he said 1/2 of his house is in MN, and 1/2 is in WI, he's a tremendous athlete. 360 dunk, recruited by everyone, he made a commitment that he was coming to the U of MN, and he and his coach just shut down recruiting.
• We've been fortunate that several people just shut down their recruiting. You look at Connor Mayes, his brother got a big push last year, and he wouldn't turn. Connor was recruited by everyone in the country. He stayed committed, that's not always easy to do. The big fella can play now. We built relationships while recruiting. Our QB was offered by Nebraska, and 2 other Big 12 teams, but with relationships with coaches and things, we were able to move our program forward.
• I don't know if you watch the Super Bowl and the Seahawks, we put all our emphasis on defense.
• We want competition, that's why Pete Carroll was successful at USC, there's competition to stay good. Alabama loses a lot more than you think when you have competition. We needed help at the skill positions on offense. Those 2 freshman wide receivers are going to be good.
• Melvin Holland is a great kid. They've got length and speed, and that's how you win right now.
• Talk to Jeff Jones, it's about relationships. That kid was a freshman when he came to camp. He was different. We built a relationship for a long time, the relationship with Ra'Shede helped, the guys' going to be a 1st round draft pick. Hageman told Jones that Kill will do anything to help him get there if you work hard for him. The way I look at Washburn, there was 500 people there, that's 500 more fans.
• I never really mentioned Jeff Jones's other visits. Life is about trust. He always wanted to play at MN. It's hard when other schools come and you have a lot of people in your ear. Deep down, he's always wanted to play in his home state. He told me that when he was a freshman. He's a smart kid now, and deep down, he stayed with it. I don't think you're ever confident in this deal, in recruiting. Coach Claeys had a big part of getting him. Do I get a little concerned when you're talking about Florida, Michigan, and a great All-Star game...that can make your head spin. It makes you a little nervous, but I was never like "no way." because we built a good relationship. The success that Ra'Shede has had here had an influence. I surprised Ra'Shede and Jimmy Ward at the Senior Bowl, I think those kids, they tell him "that's important" and it's important to our state. That will bring some competition to the party, and we want that if we want to compete in the Big 10. When we got in and played WI and MSU, if we had a little more fire power...that would have helped.
• I'm not going to comment on all that because I don't know if you know the whole story, but I'm not worried about it. We've done our research.
• The great thing about recruiting a kid from Canada, actually 2 of them - we built a relationship with him in the summertime, Julian is a good looking kid. They do high school 19/20 years old, so he's mature. He speaks 4 different languages. Spanish, German, English and French. He's well educated. He'll be further along because he's older.
• Will the recruiting continue? We have junior day on Sunday, and it starts all over again. I'm always got a couple of things in the pocket in case something happens. But we're not going to take somebody at the last second. We also put Peter Mortell on scholarship, that's one less schollie, but I don't look at it that way, he deserves it. We had 7 starters last year that walked on and we rewarded with a scholarship.
• Ferra is a huge gift for us, I explained to him our situation, we've had him in camp. His Coach, I've known for a long time. If his coach tells me something, I'm going to believe. He wanted to be at MN, he didn't care about scholarships anywhere, that's a heck of a recruit for us. An A plus family and an A-plus coach.
• You recruit good players, you're not going to get them overnight. Ohio State may do that, but we have to work work work. You've got to have a back up plan. All 3 of the receivers we got, had what we wanted because they fit into what we do. Brian Anderson did a great job, he built a relationship with the kid and his Dad. All 3 of them come from very winning programs. Sometimes it's not bad to know how to win.
• It's the 3rd class, maybe the most important class. When you're building a program, that class is the one that turns the tide. Our APR is one of the highest in the nation. We have to continue to recruit, and put pressure on the other players to improve. They all can run, they all have length. You look at what length can do for you - like Michigan State, we're very similar to them.

(On driving for the 1st time last night) - It is true, it's the 1st time in 2 years that I'm driving. All those people that speculated that I can't do certain things, I can. I beat cancer. I can't say I drove well. I hadn't drove in 2 years, and I'm sitting there coming back from Joe Sensors. My wife was instructing me, bottom line is I did it. I told everybody that I recruited, that didn't effect it at all, I told them how it was, and it might of helped us, I was straight forward, and not everyone is. I've got a chip on my shoulder, and so do these kids.

Thnx so much for this. is Ferra supposed to be Perra?

I freaking love Coach Kill and his staff. They are the real deal. Character matters. Believing in the student part of student athlete matters. Wins will keep coming, I'm not worried. These guys are just good guys who love football and the kids that play for them.

Ok, I'm having trouble seeing the world through my maroon-colored glasses while looking through my gold-colored telescope.

Is it me, or did just about every recruit mention the relationship with the coaches?
I am sure this is a huge reason why just about every recruit commits to a school, but it feels like we are over-indexing in that category.

Someone give this some context.

Didn't hear a lot of "right school for me, right program for me, just felt right". Heard an awful lot of "relationship with coaches"?

Am I right or am I right?

Barn Boy:

Part of the relationship with the Coaching Staff is the priority for succeeding in the classroom that is made very clear to the recruit and his family. It also includes all of your "right school for me, right program for me, just felt right".

Hey guys, I missed a few guys, but got notes on quite a few of the guys that Kill talked about at the Signing Day Social. Here you go:

Melvin Holland Jr. - had a great father, who's been a great influence in his life. He's 6'3, 2-5 and can run and has great hands.

Craig James - dynamic corner. Great return man. Tremendous young man, good kid, smart kid. He can really really run. Great track athlete.

Jeff Jones - we've been recruiting him since he was a freshman, we knew he was a great talent since he was a freshman (HUGE applause at the social). I can't say enough about the process we've been through with him. Everyone in the country has been through that school and talked to him. He had a lot of influences, but he hung in there. He told me "Coach, I'll be at the University of Minnesota, you've got to trust me." Ra'Shede's success has rubbed off on Jeff.

Julien Kafo - we took a trip to Canada, it was a great trip, I learned how to use chopsticks and speak French...you gotta do what you gotta to do. He's been working since he's been about 12. He's supported his mother and sisters.

Conner Krizancic - he's a great athlete that de-committed from Cinncinati. Great size, great speed, great strength. He's a very good player

Connor Mayes - that's a good 305 pounds right there. He was recruited by everyone in the country. He comes from a great family. From the time we met, with his family, this is where he wanted to go to school. We have worked to get these two young men.

Gary Moore - we're going to call him Baby Ra'Shede. 6'3, 285, and I think he's bigger than that. He's one of the biggest kids to walk through my door, he couldn't fit through my basement door. He's a tremendous athlete. He kind of was under the radar because he doesn't get caught up in social media.

Brandon Lingen - from Wayzata, a great program and tremendous coach. We've been very successful from the kids from Wayzata. He'll continue to grow, the average kid puts on 15-20 pounds. He wants to be here, there wasn't no question where he wanted to be.

Cody Poock - he's from Iowa, and I already told him he's going to be the captain of that game! He's here at semester, and is already making an impact. He's got 3 years left here. The last real push for him was by TCU. His family - I think your Mom wouldn't have been very happy if you went anywhere else.

Luke Rasmussen - he has a lot of length, he's going to weigh about 315/320, plays bball as well. He's a great pickup for us.

Rodney Smith - we're going to have some competition now. To make diamonds, you gotta have pressure. He's playing at a high level of competition.

Andrew Stelter - he may be playing bball tonight. Great family, he got an offer from Stanford but he wanted to stay home.

Everett Williams **- he's a great athlete, I think he has a 38 inch vertical, can bench 350 pounds and he can run. He's under the radar, I can't figure it out. He's a smart, smart kid, a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA.

Davis Anderson - from Apple Valley high school, he really got on the radar with Tyrone Carter, he said "Coach, you need to look at this kid."

Steven Richardson - this guy would be recruited by anyone in the country, but is only 6 feet. He is a great player. He's going to play defensive tackle. He's going to play with a motor. I've never seen a kid in high school play with the motor he does.

Perra - I sat with his Mom and Dad - we had him in camp, they understand exactly what they're doing.

Some people recruit off a piece of paper, we don't do that. We watch film, and get in their house.
"They're hungry, I told them they need to be starving" - yes, Jerry Kill actually said this, lol!
Jonathan Celestin - he's was in the all-star game. He is a great athlete, can really run, and will really be a big impact in our program.

Thrilled to hear Kill is confident about Jones being eligible!

Is Isaiah Gentry failed to get a mention?

Is Isaiah Gentry failed to get a mention?

You obviously missed GL's disclaimer that "Hey guys, I missed a few guys, but got notes on quite a few of the guys that Kill talked about at the Signing Day Social. Here you go:"

People need to read completely before commenting and making asses of themselves.

What fun would that be?

You obviously missed GL's disclaimer that "Hey guys, I missed a few guys, but got notes on quite a few of the guys that Kill talked about at the Signing Day Social. Here you go:"

People need to read completely before commenting and making asses of themselves.

Top Bottom