Jerry Kill says Gophers are "close on some big gifts" for the Athlete's Village

I read that the U has purchased the land near the football stadium that the grain elevator is on where the girl fell and died. Right now some authority isn't allowing the elevator to be torn down because it's "historic" and so the U can get out of the purchase agreement. Maybe they're planning the track for there, or moving the rec sports there. I think it's embarrassing that our track team doesn't have its own facility.

I think it's embarrassing the track team is dictating/delaying the athletics village plan. They probably would have had world class indoor/outdoor facilities in StP but decided to put up a stink. I don't want to hear any complaining from them. You want nice stuff....stop getting in the way of the sports that bring in the money that help fund you.

(yes, I know I'm being a bit over the top...but I don't care)

I don't disagree with you, or agree with the actions of the track team - I just think a B1G university should have a track facility.

I think it's embarrassing the track team is dictating/delaying the athletics village plan. They probably would have had world class indoor/outdoor facilities in StP but decided to put up a stink. I don't want to hear any complaining from them. You want nice stuff....stop getting in the way of the sports that bring in the money that help fund you.

Couldn't agree with you more. The track team is becoming the pharmacists of the athletic department.

I read that the U has purchased the land near the football stadium that the grain elevator is on where the girl fell and died. Right now some authority isn't allowing the elevator to be torn down because it's "historic" and so the U can get out of the purchase agreement. Maybe they're planning the track for there, or moving the rec sports there. I think it's embarrassing that our track team doesn't have its own facility.

The grain elevator where the girl died is in the Como Neighborhood, north of Dinkytown (the Bunge Tower). The grain elevators near TCF that that the U wants to buy and raze (the United Crushers) are a different entity.

I don't disagree with you, or agree with the actions of the track team - I just think a B1G university should have a track facility.

Just like the Vikings have a stadium right now? To get something new, you have to tear something up. You might even be displaced.

Like every athlete will be once they level any current facilities around bierman. Right?

I think it's embarrassing that our track team doesn't have its own facility.
I think it's more embarrassing that the football team is eating in a hallway and the roof is falling at the indoor practice facility. No offense to the track folks, but any non-revenue athlete whose first priority isn't fully behind getting the facilities fixed for football is living in a make-believe world. Not saying that is your position, but rumor has it track is behind this delay...
With a pistol and a can of spray paint, track events can be held anywhere.
Are the anti-gun people a threat to the future of track?

I thought the 'delay' was due to not being able to fund raise adequately relative to the goals/plans?

Top Bottom