Jerry Kill Press Conference "We have no room for errors"

GopherLady

Reaction score
These are my notes that I live typed from the Presser. U of MN will provide a transcript in a few hours. Wanted to get these out to those who were interested ASAP.

Jerry Kill:
• Western Michigan - this is the type of team I've played against, a top tier team in the MAC. They throw the ball for over 300 yards a game. They went to the 3-4 on defense, which we haven't seen a whole lot yet, that will be a challenge for us offensively. They have won a lot of bowl games.
• With players when they come in on Sunday and watch the film after a win - they thing that the coaches don't think you do anything right, because we can get after them. The coaching is better because their morale is better. The atmosphere has always been better when you win. The biggest thing you have to do as a coach, is stay consistent. You can't get too far up or to far down, the kids react to how you react.
• Less distractions, not having to worry about kids going to study hall, class, etc.
• The more pressure you put on a QB, the more uncomfortable they get. So far we've been able to get good pressure, we're rolling 8-9 guys out there right now. We redshirted some kids last year, playing 2 true freshmen. We have kids that bought into Coach Kline and what he was selling. DL, and Ra'shede - his best years are way ahead of him, he's gifted.
• Being a Defensive Coordinator in this day in age is so much different. It's difficult, we play teams throwing around, W Michigan will run it some, but they like to throw. We felt like we needed to get better at corner, and Troy and Michael Carter both got a lot better. That group has certainly improved, we need to continue to be able to rush the passer.
• You can't miss a whole year of football and just pick up where you left, unless you're a freak of nature like Adrian Peterson. Troy was going to take some time.
• We got better from UNLV to New Hampshire, but we need to continue to get better, we have a long, long way to go. It all starts today.
• Alabama right now is a unique program in college football - in our program, we need to look at technique, fundamentals, execution. IF you play someone that physically whips you, there's nothing you can do about that. You can't beat yourselves. We cut down our penalties from the 1st week to the 2nd week, but we still made some bonehead mistakes. We have no room for error.
• To keep their redshirt, you can't even play them one minute. It's a critical decision to make. Harbison was different, he was injured. We're going to try to keep our freshman redshirted as much as possible. We've been able to move the program forward, but also plan for the future by redshirting players. We were fortunate that things worked out well for us, like recruiting Derrick Wells. We want to try and redshirt 24 kids, but injuries control a lot of that.
• Being in the box in my coaching career was the best place to be - being on the field you can't see the other side. You get a pretty good feel. I'll watch the game a few times before I get into my comments and visit with my coaching staff. Sometimes you'll think one individual player did well, and watching film, you realize he didn't do that good of a job. You can't hide from the video, when you have that little red pointer...it's a teaching moment.
• Shortell has done well - he's got a good attitude. Everybody wants to play. The ones you worry about are the ones that don't want to play. He understands exactly where he's at. I was really pleased by his performance when he came in the other day, it's encouraging, it allows us some flexibility down the road.
• You always try to bounce it out as much as you can, we did exactly what we needed to do. Could we have thrown it 8-10 more times, yes, but wanted to control the football a little bit. We seemed to move the ball pretty well. There's a lot of plays where Gray will come up, look at the secondary, and assess. The QB is so critical, there's a lot of decision making, they can't have double digit mistakes.
• We have some good young receivers, Brandon Green is older, he's had knee problems for a year and a half. He's got a great work ethic, but there's no doubt he's slowed down a bit. We're playing some young kids, that's been a surprise for our football team, we've been able to get behind people, this week will be the test. It will be a good challenge for our receivers.
• Baker has done a good job, give the kid credit, he's battled through injuries. If you want to play, you gotta stay healthy. It's about productivity, and he's caught the ball well, returned punts well. We need to control field position, and our punter had 42 net into the wind this past week - that was a big improvement. That's what I call hidden yards. It's a lot easier to score on a shorter field.
• I was informed by several people in the media that my job was on the line if I didn't find a punter. (kind of joking)
• We have no room for error.
• I appreciate everybody being here. I get asked all the time - I'm very appreciative of the support I had in the stadium and the students. The more people, the more juice in the stadium the better the players play.

Thanks much for the notes. So much more enjoy reading these after wins:D

Oh, oh! The competition has gotten stronger. :cry:

LOL! Thanks everybody...I'll let you and Dr. Don duke it out ;)

Best part of your notes section, in my opinion.

I think that part was even worse than Kill told us last year. When he said he was taking guys out of practice and putting them into study halls - and he made a comment to the media that he's surprised we weren't asking more about this. That still gets to me - I just don't think we dug enough, as he's an open book. Either way, seems like a 180 turnaround in school, morale, everything...it's only 2 NC games, but it's sure better than when we were losing those!

I think that part was even worse than Kill told us last year. When he said he was taking guys out of practice and putting them into study halls - and he made a comment to the media that he's surprised we weren't asking more about this. That still gets to me - I just don't think we dug enough, as he's an open book. Either way, seems like a 180 turnaround in school, morale, everything...it's only 2 NC games, but it's sure better than when we were losing those!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your biases and ignorance are showing again, GopherLady. You will never be a journalist until you start acting like one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim Brewster's Minnesota Gophers Honored On Big Ten Academic Team

Twenty-two Minnesota football players have been honored by the Big Ten for their prowess in the classroom.

Twenty-two University of Minnesota football players have been recognized on the Big Ten Academic All-Conference Team.

The Big Ten released its Fall 2008-09 Big Ten Academic All-Conference Team Tuesday afternoon. To earn this distinction (student-athletes must be letter winners, be in at least their second year at the institution and carry a 3.0 grade-point average.

"I'm extremely proud of the efforts our student-athletes have shown in the area of academics," head coach Tim Brewster said. "We want young men in our program who make Minnesota proud of their efforts, both on the field and in the classroom. I believe we have that with this group."

Only two schools had more football players on the Big Ten Academic All-Conference team than Minnesota.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120109aaa.html

Go4Broke - I disagree. What about the other 63 scholarships athletes on the team? We almost lost scholarships because of academics.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...-avoids-losing-scholarships-because-academics

I could be mistaken but it is my understanding that the Gopher football team's overall academic performance was significantly better under Brewster than it was under Mason. Real sports journalists would know this information and provide it to their readers without being asked for it, or without making them dig it up on their own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gopher Academics Improve In 2010-11

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The University of Minnesota athletics department appears to be making improvements in the classroom.

The school released its results in the latest NCAA academic progress report on Wednesday. The report includes data from the 2007-08 school year through 2010-11.

The Gophers had all 25 of their varsity teams register multiyear rates above the 930 cutline, which means the programs will not be subject to scholarship reductions or postseason bans. It’s a step forward for the department, which went through a couple of rough years, including the football team losing scholarships in 2009.

Last fall the football team was one of 23 programs that earned a cumulative grade-point average above 3.00.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/06/13/gopher-academics-improve-in-2010-11/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your biases and ignorance are showing again, GopherLady. You will never be a journalist until you start acting like one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty-two Minnesota football players have been honored by the Big Ten for their prowess in the classroom.

Twenty-two University of Minnesota football players have been recognized on the Big Ten Academic All-Conference Team.

The Big Ten released its Fall 2008-09 Big Ten Academic All-Conference Team Tuesday afternoon. To earn this distinction (student-athletes must be letter winners, be in at least their second year at the institution and carry a 3.0 grade-point average.

"I'm extremely proud of the efforts our student-athletes have shown in the area of academics," head coach Tim Brewster said. "We want young men in our program who make Minnesota proud of their efforts, both on the field and in the classroom. I believe we have that with this group."

Only two schools had more football players on the Big Ten Academic All-Conference team than Minnesota.

I'm not going to waste any time on this, but couldn't someone please dig up the information on the GPA, how Kill raised it like a whole point in just one semester. You could also search for all the comments he made about academics. I'd appreciate it - those stats and comments were very public, and he talked about the struggles off the field constantly last year. I need to go sulk and cry...an anoymous person from a message board thinks I won't be a journalist. Good thing that has never been in my plan.

Here's the complete transcript from the U of MN
An Interview With:

COACH JERRY KILL

JERRY KILL: I appreciate everybody coming out today. I have been inside here, but I heard it's a beautiful day, good, warm day, looking forward to getting out to practice and building on Saturday and improving our football team. With that, I'll take any questions.

Q. How good is Western Michigan?
JERRY KILL: Western Michigan is the type of Western Michigan team that we played against where I've been before. They're a top tier team in the MAC Conference. Offensively under Coach Cubit, they've always been tremendous, throwing the ball for over 300 yards a game, a football team that's going to be aggressive, attack you and stretch you on the perimeters and do a great job. He's a great play caller, and we have a great deal of respect for them.
Defensively they've changed a little bit. They've gone to a 3 4, and that's a whole different deal which we haven't seen here through the first two ballgames and really haven't seen it a whole lot. So that will be a challenge for us offensively.
Good football team like he always has. He's been consistent, and they've won a lot of games there and been to a lot of Bowl games. We certainly will have to continue to improve.

Q. You've been doing this a long time. How different is the atmosphere in the building Sunday and Monday after a win as opposed to after a loss?
JERRY KILL: Well, I think there's always I know with the players, when they come in on Sunday, you get a win, you can watch the film and they'll tell you they probably felt like last two weeks with us they feel like, darn, these coaches think we didn't do anything right, but it gives you a chance to be pretty critical and get after them and tell them what they need to do, and they don't take it personal. I don't know, the coaching seems to be better because their morale is better. When you don't win and get after them, they feel like they get beat down a little bit.
There's no question that morale, and they see the film, and they're also smart enough to say we've got to get a lot better here.
It's really good to work through all the way back to the spring. I think they're starting to understand where we're at and what you have to do. I think they understand we have no room for error because we've still got a lot of work to do.
But certainly the atmosphere is always better when you win. I've been fortunately been a part of doing a lot of winning and then also the misfortune when you take programs over being 1 and 10 and then 4 and 8 at trying to that's a difficult process. It's difficult on everybody.
I think the biggest thing that you have to do as a coach, and your coaches, which we've been through, is stay consistent no matter you win or lose. You just stay the same, and you can't get too far up and you can't get too far down. I think the kids reflect how you act sometimes.
But certainly have a lot less problems than we had a year ago at this time and distractions, getting people to go to study hall, class, tutoring, all those kind of things, certainly success helps you a little bit there. I don't think there's anybody that could say different.

Q. How much different has the pass rush made the first two games here?
JERRY KILL: Well, I think that we have you know, the more pressure you can put on a quarterback, the more uncomfortable they're going to get. We never let anybody get comfortable last Saturday. I worry about this because Coach Cubit is a smart coach. That ball is going to come out in a hurry on Saturday, so I mean, he's going to get the ball out. They're a quick three, quick five. He's played us, so he's got a good cue on what he needs to do to get that ball out.
So far we've been able to get good pressure even without bringing somebody, which is always good.
But I think we're playing, we're rolling eight or nine guys out there right now, and got fresh bodies. We red shirted a couple kids last year, we're playing a true freshman, actually two freshmen, and then we've got some guys that have been here that really spent time in the weight room, bought into what Coach Klein was selling, and athletically they've improved themselves.
D.L. has improved his athleticism, Ra'Shede has certainly learned to play defensive tackle, and his best years are way ahead of him. He's still learning, but he's continued to get better, and athletically he's gifted, a gifted young man. Roland Johnson coming in, junior college, a part of a junior college that's won all the time. He's used to that. So I think as a group they're playing well at this time, but they still have a lot of work to do, and we'll need that pressure this week and actually over the next two weeks. I mean, we'll find out. That's for sure.
Scheme wise, people will try to neutralize that a little bit, and that's getting the ball out from a quarterback standpoint.

Q. The corners, two weeks in here, how would you critique the way they've played?
JERRY KILL: Well, again, because we're having to play some of the teams that we're playing, that's the thing about being a defensive coordinator in this day and age in college football is so much different I think if you called up Monte Kiffin and visited with them at USC, the NFL, you see so many things. But college football you'll see five wides, then you see option, then you see power football. So it's difficult.
We've played some teams that are throwing around we'll play Western Michigan who will run it some, but they like throwing the ball, so those guys are getting some playing time in nickel and dime. I think they've done very well.
We've felt like we needed to get better at corner from a week ago at UNLV, and the guys, Troy and Michael Carter both got a lot better. They had a good ballgame on Saturday. And then you throw the other kids in there, and we feel like that group is certainly improved, and it's critical they continue to play well with what we do, and we've got to continue to be able to rush the passer.

Q. Did it take Troy another game do you think after coming back, having not played corner all that much, but coming in he had a couple mental mistakes against UNLV and to have a better game?
JERRY KILL: I think he'll get better as the weeks go on. The kid hasn't really played corner very much and missed a whole year a year ago. You can't miss a whole year of football and then come back and pick up where you left off. Not very many. You get a guy like Adrian Peterson who's a complete freak of nature who can do some of the things he can do, but not many of those are around.

Q. About getting better, it seemed on both sides of the ball, the starters have been doing that. It looks like it's going to be the third game in a row with those kids up there.
JERRY KILL: Well, really with what we do, we talk about the team part of it. If you certainly have somebody that leaps out there way ahead, somebody that you need to carry it 35 times a game or whatever and play, we certainly do that. But we have a lot of people that are very similar, so if you've got people similar and you play different situations, why not play them, and they'll play faster. Your morale stays better. There's a lot of good things to that.
Right now we're still learning about our team. It's a very young football team.
Our deal is that we have to we played two games, that's great and everything like that, but we've got to get ready for Saturday, and we have to be better than we were last week.
We got better from UNLV, sure, but now we've got to continue to get better. That's how we're going to have to be because we're still, in my opinion from watching film, evaluating where we're at, we have a long, long way to go, and our kids understand that.
It all starts today, and the work we get in and the preparation for Western Michigan.

Q. When you play a team like New Hampshire, nothing against New Hampshire but they're a smaller program, are you able to get an accurate read on the development of your own players?
JERRY KILL: Yeah, I think you do because from an assignment standpoint, coaching is coaching. There's some teams, like I guess the best way to do it is Alabama is right now, in college football, a unique program right now. Do I like playing Alabama? No, that's different with the type of person. But I think we have to, in our program where we're at right now, we've got to look at technique, fundamentals, execution, what we're doing within our system.
If you physically get whipped, there's nothing you can do about that. You play somebody and they physically whip you, then you'd better get stronger and faster to be able to play the game. But when you mentally, for instance, drop a snap from a quarterback or you jump offsides or you drop a ball or you line up wrong or you blow a coverage, then you beat yourselves, and that's what you can't live with as a coach.
So those are things that we're concentrating on right now. We cut down our penalties from the first week to the second week, but we still had we stopped ourselves offensively, they didn't stop us on Saturday. We made some bonehead mistakes that you can't make to be a football team.
And again, we have no room for error. We have to play really, really good, clean football to have a chance to be successful with anybody on our schedule. That's just the way it is right now.

Q. What does the rule say regarding red shirting for a true freshman? How much in terms of minutes or whatever?
JERRY KILL: You can't play them. Not one play. Uh uh, no. With Harbison it's different because he didn't play enough games, and he's medically disqualified, so then you can get that year back. That's different. But if a kid starts and plays, then you don't get to red shirt him. So it's a critical decision when you do what you do in the red shirting situation.

Q. Where are you right now with your freshmen that haven't played?
JERRY KILL: That haven't played? We're going to try to keep a red shirt on them as much as we can. I know a lot of people that we're trying to build a program. We've got three offensive linemen that are very talented young people. Two of them are 6'8" and 300 pounds. And yeah, can we step them out there and play them right now, yeah, but they're not going to be as strong and physical as we need them to be. If we red shirt them over the next three or four years they're going to be very strong and talented people. We can afford to do that right now with where we're at up front. We can't do that at some other positions. There's a lot of discussions in there. I can't tell you an exact science, but we've been able to do it where we've been before, move the program forward but also red shirt people to build a foundation of a program.
If you look at us in the secondary, we lost seven, eight players that played for us a year ago, and we didn't have anybody I mean, it was empty classes, so we had to do a couple things in the junior college world where we got lucky on a true freshman, we were fortunate recruiting Derrick Wells worked out. So we had some things in there that we had to do maybe differently than I'd like to, but that's what we had to do because of the empty classes that we had that we're trying to fill up.
So it's kind of a balancing act right now, and I count on the board trying to red shirt maybe 24 kids. That's pretty good. But can we do that? We'll see. Injuries control a lot of that.

Q. All of them freshmen?
JERRY KILL: Uh huh, yeah, I think that's right.
I think, again, we're trying to it's hard because there's pressure to you win, let's get going here, but at the same time, we've got to build the thing up for us to have the physical bodies and the depth to really be a really good football team. So it's a hard match to do sometimes.
Sometimes we've made great decisions. We made great decisions at Southern Illinois and were able to move the program forward. Northern, probably wish I had a couple of those back that we played and wish I would have red shirted them and so forth. It's not easy decisions, that's for sure. But you've always got to think, you've got to shut everything else out. Number one, you've got to think of what's best for the kid, and the other thing is what's best for the program down the road.

Q. When you sit down to watch game film for the first time after a game, are you ever surprised by what you see in terms of things happening not the way you thought from the sideline?
JERRY KILL: Oh, yeah, it's different. My coaching career, early in my coaching career, I was in the box. That's the best place to be, calling plays, being in the box, it's a whole different thing than being on the field. You're on the field and you can't see the other side. It's just different.
You get a pretty good feel, but like I come in and watch the game, and I'll watch it probably a couple times before I get into my comments, before I go visit with our coaching staff and try to evaluate things. But there's always things you find out, you think one youngster when you get interviewed right after the game that you thought played pretty well, and then you watch the film, and you go, he looked good on these particular plays, but in the big scheme of things, we just made this person miss or we had a better athlete in this situation, and if the athlete would have been better we'd have been in trouble.
There's nothing as we say in here, when I meet with the team, and I'll put those clips up, you can't hide from the video. You get that little red pointer, and you go, hey, what's this, explain this to me, and you teach them. This is not what we're looking for.
Again, we've got 17 to 22 year old kids, and there's definitely a lot of mental mistakes and things that we need to clean up.

Q. How is Shortell holding up? He was roadblocked by gray and he's got the hotshot freshman coming up behind him.
JERRY KILL: He's done pretty good. I think that he's got a good attitude. I think, again, everybody wants to play. I'll be in my office, hey, Coach, what do I need to do to play. It never bothers me about that. You want them to want to play. The ones you worry about is the ones that don't want to play.
But I think he understands exactly where he's at and what he needs to do, and competition is very healthy, I think, if you treat it that way. You're never going to satisfy everybody when you're coaching or anything of that nature, but I've been pleased I was really pleased with his performance when he came in the other day. He was sharp, and he ran the team well, threw the ball well. That was actually encouraging because it allows us some flexibility down the road a little bit. I was pleased with his play, and he's had a good attitude, very good.

Q. Flexibility meaning might use him in
JERRY KILL: Flexibility not talking about the rest of our kids and what we're doing with the quarterback situation.

Q. It was almost four to one run to pass in this game. Understanding that was kind of specific to New Hampshire, what would you consider to be the ideal split between run and pass?
JERRY KILL: I think you always try to balance it out as much as you can but it's according to who you play and what you do, and we did exactly what we needed to do to play against New Hampshire. Could we have thrown it eight or nine, ten more times, possibly, but at the same time didn't want a no huddle team to get on a roll, wanted to try to control the football a little bit, and we seemed to be moving the ball fairly well when we didn't make a mistake or two.
But I think you always try to have as much balance in your offense as you possibly can. You want to keep people off balance.
The one thing we did a little bit more, if you watch the one MarQueis went the distance, there's a lot of plays where MarQueis will come up, look at the secondary, and there's a lot more to playing quarterback, no different than the NFL, walks up, if we have a certain coverage he's going to throw the bubble screen. If the bubble screen is not there we're running another play, and on the particular play he scores we're running option football. The end had been taking him away, the end kind of squeezed, took the dive, MarQueis pulled it, tackled, peels up on the outside backer and hits his head on the goal post.
But there's about three options in that play that he could have done one way or the other, and if he doesn't make the right decision, then it's not a very good football play. That's why we always talk about the quarterback being so critical. There's a lot of decision making. Those guys can't afford to be in double digits in mistakes. They've got to be under digits in mistakes, and then you've got a chance to be pretty good.
That's not only in our league but in the next league up.

Q. What kind of production do you expect out of Brandon Green? Seems like he's been a non factor.
JERRY KILL: Well, again, we have some good receivers, good, young receivers. Brandon is older. Brandon has had some knee problems. He had knee problems he's had them for a year and a half. He's fought through them. He's a great kid, love his work ethic, but he's been slowed down about it, no question about it. Rep wise we've been careful about what we were doing, we were careful during camp and we'll see how things go.
We don't sit there, hey, try to force feed the ball to somebody. We try to take what the defense gives us. Again, we're playing some young kids in there. That's really been a surprise to our football team. I think our productivity, we've been able to get behind people, we've been able to do some things there.
We'll get a test this week because we're going to play a 3 4, we're going to go against cover one, we're going to get press coverage, we're going to get people in your face. It's a different deal. So we'll see how we react to that. It'll be a good challenge for our receivers and what they're going to see.

Q. Do you feel that any receiver has kind of established himself as a go to guy on this team?
JERRY KILL: Well, again, I think we've got some good kids and we're going to throw to the open guy. Now, if you get cover one, like we will this week and so forth, and you can get a mismatch a game is about mismatches and you try to get a mismatch on somebody. I'm not going to tell you who we're going to try to mismatch this week, but we'll try to get somebody on a lesser defender and try to take advantage of that if we can.
But so much of our offense is built off of the run and the play action passing game, and you take what they give you.

Q. How has Barker played?
JERRY KILL: I think he's done a good job. I don't think there's give the kid credit; he's battled through injuries and so forth. I think there's a time during camp I said he wanted to play. I said, you've got to stay healthy. Durability and reliability, got to be there every day, and he worked through some things, and it's about productivity. The first two games he's had some production, there's no question about that. He's caught the ball well, he's returned punts well.
That's a big thing on our football team right now for us to be successful, we've got to control field position, and our punter punted it into the wind, and we had 42 net average, which is very good into the wind, and we also had a very good job of catching the punts and returning, which we weren't very good the week before and haven't been very good since I've been here. So to me those were big improvements because that's what I call hidden yards, and we picked up a lot of yards in the punt game and the punt return game, which is important. It's a lot easier to score on a shorter field.

Q. Have you settled on Christian Eldred now?
JERRY KILL: Christian is our punter now, yes.

Q. Talk about how he ended up here.
JERRY KILL: Well, it's a situation where you'd have to Coach Sawvel recruited him. There was a guy in Australia, if you watched LSU play, they had an Australian punter, there's a guy that works over there with rugby punters and so forth and just through emailing and searching, and Coach Sawvel knew we needed some help in that area. I was informed by several people in the media that my job was on the line if we didn't find a punter, so I tried to get some help from our staff and they helped me out, and we got Christian here.
Now, he's punted in one game and punted very well. We'll see how it goes throughout the season. But he certainly did a good job on Saturday, and we hope for him to continue that, because it was big to me that was a big thing coming out of the game and catching punts.
Sometimes as coaches and fans, we don't look at that hidden yardage. You don't look at all that hidden yardage in there that you lose. I think we lost on the first game, we lost about 55 yards in the punt game with the ball rolling and things of that nature. So that's why Barker's play was pretty good. He made good decisions. When the ball was kicked inside the 10, he'd make a fair catch, the ball went out of the end zone. Fundamental things that you have to do to be successful. Again, we have no room for error, so those things are important.
I'd just tell you I appreciate everybody being here, and I will say that I was very I get asked all the time, it's a good time to tell you, that I'm very appreciative of the support that we had in the stadium and the students and so forth. It was a good atmosphere. Everything I heard, it went good, and so we hope to continue to build off that because that certainly helps the program, helps enthusiasm, and more people, more juice in the stadium, better the players play. It is what it is.
Thank you very much.

GopherLady, thank you for your notes/summary and for posting the complete transcript. Much appreciated.

Go Gophers!!

Yes, thank you GopherLady (and DL65) for keeping us up to date.

So, we are all healthy...as far as anyone has heard?

I think I will go visit Coach Klein :)

Below are the Gopher's APR Rankings since the first year they were calculated in 2004 - 2005.

I don't think I should have to mention that Brewster's first recruiting class for the 2007 - 2008 season was largely put together in the three weeks between the time he was hired and the February signing day.

As always, Gopher Lady, if you want to rip Brewster there is always plenty of fodder to do the same to Mason. The fact that you never do it is where your ignorance and bias is displayed for all to see. It makes you look just like the sports writing hacks who work for the local newspapers who are now your buddies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sport School State-----------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2004 - 2005-----918 MASON

Sport School State -----------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2005 - 2006-----919MASON

Sport School State-----------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2006 - 2007-----927MASON/BREWSTER

Sport School State ---------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2007 - 2008-----915 BREWSTER Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 3

Sport School State ----------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2008 - 2009-----934 BREWSTER

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2009 - 2010-----935BREWSTER

Sport School State -----------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2010 - 2011-----932 BREWSTER/KILL

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index5.html

Here's what you're missing. All evidence points to Brew seeing a rise in academic performance for the guys at the "top of the class" (so to speak) while simultaneously allowing an environment that didn't hold the guys at the bottom accountable enough for their failings. In other words, things were both better and worse. The former was evident during the Brew years. The latter wasn't evident until he left.

I could be mistaken but it is my understanding that the Gopher football team's overall academic performance was significantly better under Brewster than it was under Mason.
That is the lowest of low bars.

Below are the Gopher's APR Rankings since the first year they were calculated in 2004 - 2005.

I don't think I should have to mention that Brewster's first recruiting class for the 2007 - 2008 season was largely put together in the three weeks between the time he was hired and the February signing day.

As always, Gopher Lady, if you want to rip Brewster there is always plenty of fodder to do the same to Mason. The fact that you never do it is where your ignorance and bias is displayed for all to see. It makes you look just like the sports writing hacks who work for the local newspapers who are now your buddies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2004 - 2005-----918 MASON

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2005 - 2006-----919MASON

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2006 - 2007-----927MASON/BREWSTER

Sport School State ---------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2007 - 2008-----915 BREWSTER Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 3

Sport School State ----------------------------Academic Year Multi-Year Rate Penalties Postseason
Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2008 - 2009-----934 BREWSTER

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2009 - 2010-----935BREWSTER

Football University of Minnesota, Twin Cities MN 2010 - 2011-----932 BREWSTER/KILL

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index5.html

My understanding was that when Coach Kill and his staff got on campus, a full month after the season had ended and all the coaches had been let go, that the kids had basically gone tribal and stopped working out, going to class, etc. and that first spring he had to regain control and stop the bleeding. Several players including Hageman & Micheal Carter were at risk when he got on campus and he had to turn them and others around. Plus get the young guys on track. 30-45 days is a long time to be without leadership for a team that typically has daily activities.

Are you related to Brew or something? What's your deal? She wasn't ripping on Brew, other than the fact that she pointed out the obvious mess that Brew left Kill in regards to academics.

Are you related to Brew or something? What's your deal? She wasn't ripping on Brew, other than the fact that she pointed out the obvious mess that Brew left Kill in regards to academics.

I'm wondering the same thing. Did she even mention Brewster?

She only referenced last year. There isn't one word about Brewster's last season as coach, and nothing that blames Brewster for the way things were last year.

Gopher Lady is as much a journalist as anyone on the Star Tribune, heck she has a blog column on the Star Tribune. She is a reporter. She is reporting to a specific interest group. If this was going to be published for a vaunted newspaper, heck she would have a editor and a proofwriter. The former telling what story she should write and the proofwriter and editor would feel free to either change her copy and or use a headline to slant the story. Journalism my friend is in the eye of the beholder. Gopher Lady is unabashed in her support of the Gophers and that's all right with me.

402805_431473803572297_1456454759_n.jpg

My understanding was that when Coach Kill and his staff got on campus, a full month after the season had ended and all the coaches had been let go, that the kids had basically gone tribal and stopped working out, going to class, etc. and that first spring he had to regain control and stop the bleeding. Several players including Hageman & Micheal Carter were at risk when he got on campus and he had to turn them and others around. Plus get the young guys on track. 30-45 days is a long time to be without leadership for a team that typically has daily activities.

That's my understanding also and it makes the most sense.

JK is just a hard working, straight shooting kind of a guy. He doesn't look much like a football coach, but the guy knows what he is doing and his down-to-earth personna is charming as hell. A big part of that personna is being humble and realistic- "we don't have room for errors." I have seen him speak live twice now and he leaves me feeling like I would follow this guy to hell and back. I can just picture the living-room meetings on recruiting trips - the parents must but be speechless when he is done selling the Gophers, if not the prospect himself. We ain't going to the Rose Bowl this year (Pi Press), but success will come with this coaching staff. Go JK! Go Gophers!

Brewster's 2008-09 APR score of 968 was very strong.

We only have scores up through 2010-11, the partial year with Brewster and Kill - 917, which is terrible.

Based on how Maturi talked things up, I'm expecting they'll be reporting a much better score for 2011-12, but that is yet to be seen.

The basketball team is the one I'd worry about (hopefully Willie Burton can keep their heads above water if all else fails).

One other comment - can't agree with Kill being an open book. As he would say, "I'm not talkin bout it!" here though.

Did anyone ask about or did Kill address the suspension(s)? I think Moulton can make some plays once on the field.

I kind of thought GopherLady was a fan, an organizer, a community builder, and someone who does a lot of work benefiting Gopher fans.

Since this appears to be a thread for unsolicited advice: Go4Broke, you will always be a sanctimonious bore until you stop acting like one.

Thanks to many of you - but I do think this sums it up best. I looked over my quote over and over:

I just don't get the can of psycho that was unleashed on me. These are things Kill said...whoa. Get over it, we've moved on.

You don't need to look over your quote, you don't need to give Go For Broke no never mind. You do what you do. We've got your back.

Top Bottom