Jerry Kill not sure Im sold?

Ahhhh...blessed levity has won the day! I've enjoyed the last few posts after watching this well-intentioned thread go all Jerry Springer...

This is the hardest part of the year for us GHers. What else are we going to opine about for the next 120+ days aside from empty assertions about how successful our new coach will be? Without over-analyzing the tiny sample size we have to judge Coach Kill upon, I'd say he's off to a great start, winning the hearts and minds of a difficult media and skeptical (read "devastatingly and deservingly pessimistic") fan base. He's started gathering some of the pieces that fit his system from a deep MN 2012 class and worked really hard to win over his current group of Gophers. He works hard, and believes in what he does. Those were qualities we all believed Brewster possessed, but what is winning me over is the familiar system he's brought with him to the U of M. It is predicated on experience, familiarity, proven success, and includes the ingredients of dogged determination, grit, speed and togetherness. If it fails at the U of M, I will have a hard time believing that anyone can succeed here. Maybe I sound like a homer with that, but what ingredients are missing? The recruiting cache of a Saban, the legacy and tradition of Ohio State football, the regional football foundation of UT-Austin? I am just starting to believe that Coach Kill is re-introducing the elements that made Warmath's and Bierman's teams great. I just want to have a program that does things right and wins. I believe Coach Kill embodies these virtues.

Go Gophers!

my bad im an idiot-i should probably walk into oncoming traffic because i was bored and attempted to strike a conversation.

Wow...

I finally agreed with Lakesgopher on something.

I keed.

The fact that Kill has never really won a "big game" makes me uneasy.

Why? Because the Gophers have been in so many big games that Kill might screw up? Have you looked at Kill's record or are you just talking smack?

I hate the "lower expectations" comments from Kill regarding depth.

Why? Because the Gophers have had so much depth the last few years? If they did surely they would have won more games the last few years.

Brew needs Kill to succeed. If Kill's team does well this season or in 2012 - then Brewster's stock rises due to the team being full of "Brewster recruits." now for the down side...Brewster beat Kill so the hire still has the Dan Monson feel to it.

now for the down side...Brewster beat Kill so the hire still has the Dan Monson feel to it.

I guess the fact that Brewster was able to beat Kill by only 4 points at home in Kill's first game as a head coach at Northern Illinois the year after UNI went 2-10 doesn't really bother me much. ;)

Brew needs Kill to succeed. If Kill's team does well this season or in 2012 - then Brewster's stock rises due to the team being full of "Brewster recruits." now for the down side...Brewster beat Kill so the hire still has the Dan Monson feel to it.

I agree that success by Kill will make Brewster's recruiting look better. Brewster beat Kill by 4 in Kill's first game at NIU. That should have been expected. Kill destroying Brewster last year was not expected.

This says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait!what?
now for the down side...Brewster beat Kill so the hire still has the Dan Monson feel to it.

I guess the fact that Brewster was able to beat Kill by only 4 points at home in Kill's first game as a head coach at Northern Illinois the year after UNI went 2-10 doesn't really bother me much. ;)

The top quote says it all - People on this blog are only happy when they can find something negative. What will talk about if Kill is successful? I know, the good old days of Mason and Brewster. This must be Souhan's favorite string. :rolleyes:

What we'll talk about if Kill is successful is how much MORE successful he should be. It's the nature of the beast. Even Alabama and Ohio State fans find fault in their coaches (from a coaching perspective, not from a "these guys are slime" perspective)

So far I like everything I've heard about him. My only concern is that he's got the old school approach, work your ass off and do well in school. Will that work with today's athlete? Tubby seems to be struggling with it.

It should.

So far I like everything I've heard about him. My only concern is that he's got the old school approach, work your ass off and do well in school. Will that work with today's athlete? Tubby seems to be struggling with it.

It should.

Athletes are not monolithic, some are more team players than are others. Future recruits are likely to know what to expect from a Kill-coached team, those looking to play for a less discipline-oriented coach may look elsewhere. Prima donnas can be more trouble than they are worth.

Notice what Kill says about this team. I may be wrong, but not anywhere do I recall him saying this team lacked "talent". He has repeatedly said it lacked depth, and it lacks speed. I think both are true. Brewster recruited some speed early, but with his philosophy change, his recruiting strayed from that a little bit. This team isn't as fast as we thought it was gonna look four years ago when he was bringing in that initial '08 class. Kill knows what he wants to do, and he realizes, that in order to do it, he's gotta have speed in certain spots and also depth. He rotates A LOT, and without depth, his team probably will struggle some. But again, I haven't heard him talk about how there isn't talent here.

Now, it's also April, there's plenty of time before this team goes to Los Angeles. The WR depth issue could be solved if Gardner and DCT walk in here and impress. Who knows. But as of right now, that is a major issue. Kill isn't stupid. He knows he's taking over a 3-9 squad. It'd be a tad silly to sit there and spout off about how much talent is all over the field and how they should be a good team this fall. That just doesn't make any sense. Notice he's kind of backed off on as many "negative" comments about how this team looked after he got to see them practice a bit and all that. When he first got here and was watching their conditioning and knowing their academic work, he sounded like he was absolutely stunned about how bad things were. But after practice kind of got going, his tone has changed some, he sounds a little more optimistic, IMO, about what he has to work with, despite the continual mentions of lack of depth and speed. At least, that's how I've kinda read things from him.

I don't blame anyone for being hesitant to be "sold" on Kill. He hasn't done it on the BCS level. That alone is worth a pause. But signs to this point have been nothing but positive to me, and I'm encouraged by what seems to be the majority of the players buying into what Kill is selling. That's a good sign if that's truly the case, cause that will make this transition much smoother over the next couple years.

I am just stating that if Kill were to fail <5 wins/yr for 3 yrs -an additional line on MADturi's epitaph will state, Hired Jerry Kill who had been previously beaten by a Tim Brewster led squad.

I am just stating that if Kill were to fail <5 wins/yr for 3 yrs -an additional line on MADturi's epitaph will state, Hired Jerry Kill who had been previously beaten by a Tim Brewster led squad.

No matter what happens, no one is going to note that Kill lost to Tim Brewster in a last second loss, in his first year with a team that had won two games the previous year.

I think some people lose a lot of sleep over the strong possibility that if Kill does well, Maturi will be remembered well.

Proven Division I-A winners are not lining up to coach football at the University of Minnesota. I am sorry if this news comes as a shock to you.

FALSE. A national championship coach (Larry Coker) openly said he was interested in the job when Brewster was hired and another coach who had great success at the d1 level (Mike Leach) was interested this time around.

NEXT.

FALSE. A national championship coach (Larry Coker) openly said he was interested in the job when Brewster was hired and another coach who had great success at the d1 level (Mike Leach) was interested this time around.

NEXT.

2007 is not now. And no school seems to want anything to do with Leach.

NEXT.

Coker ran Miami into mediocrity after winning with Davis' recruits and now coaches at UTSA and i'm sure we all know about Mike Leach.

NEXT.

It is not a line

NEXT.

When you have one coach (Leach) interested in the job you have a point not a line. As I recall from geometry it takes two points to make a line (in the same year). That means it wasn't FALSE.

Right now I haven't seen anything Kill has done that I can point to and say "I wish he'd do that differently". Everything he does seems to be done "the right way" or at least appears so. Will that translate into wins? I think it will. But I think the Spring game should have shown folks that this isn't an eight win team waiting to take over the B1G West. They looked sloppy because they don't have the depth, haven't really gotten comfortable with the new system, and frankly don't have the talent at a handful of positions. I think this year is going to be tough, but expect them to play better each game then the game before.

Next January will be a good time to continue this discussion - we can see how the season went, did we see consistent improvement through the season, does his recruiting class look decent, etc. If those things fall into place I'm convinced the wins will also in years to come.

I'm honestly expecting to at least be a threat to be in the hunt for the B1G West title come 2013. Partially because of Kill getting some more talent, partially because of what should be a favorable schedule.

Just a little insight into what resident psychopath lakesgopher is all about:

lakesgopher said:
I just want to punch you in the face. It would bring great enjoyment to me. You and your boy lakesbison. I hope our paths crass this season. This obsession you have with trying to make into a homosexual is a bit disturbing. No matter how hard you wish it I'm not going to go on the down low. You need to getbitch slapped and I would be willing to do that

NCAA Ranked All Time Win % -- Gopher Coaches

#17 Henry Williams @ .7850
#23 Friz Crisler @ .7675
#55 Bernie Beirman@ .7105
#102 Lou Holst @ .6508
Unranked: Jerry Kill at .6350
#196 Clarence Spears @ .5780
#213 William Spaulding @ .5669
All others fall below .500 and are not ranked.

Coker ran Miami into mediocrity after winning with Davis' recruits and now coaches at UTSA and i'm sure we all know about Mike Leach.

NEXT.

Noted.

So if Kill has success in the next 3 years - it had nothing to do with him. It was because he was fortunate enough to inherit Brewster's recruits.

Im trying to come around on Kill. He appears to be a decent coach but I do have issues with this hire...still. Im hoping some of you guys can give me some more knowledge on Kill since many of you have him sitting next to Jesus.

I am one of those guys that wanted a proven fbs winner. Kill won everywhere except Emporia. If Kill would have coached in a National Championship at any of the schools other than N Ill I would have been more impressed. Not comparing hires, but Jim Tressel worked his way up but won national titles on his to Ohio St. The fact that Kill has never really won a "big game" makes me uneasy. Doesnt mean he wont or couldnt have if he would have stuck around any of those other places longer but makes me wonder if he can get us to the top of the Big Ten.

I hate the "lower expectations" comments from Kill regarding depth. Im not buying it as much as the media and many GopherHolers. I agree WR and DB are relatively thin. We are young on the OL but I dont think they are a bunch of no talent hacks. Most are relatively highly regarded kids that should make a solid impact early. I expect Kill to do a better job than Mason so all these 3 star lineman should be impact players early.

This team already looks faster than any of the brewster teams and brew was able to make bowl games. there is obvious talent on this team compared to 07 when the cupboard was virtually bare. Im hoping all of the "we lack speed, we lack depth" is just to get more work out of his current roster. But reading comments from many on here who say its refreshing to have "real talk" out our head coach are just trying to make themselves feel better about their hatred for brewster. I hope Kill has success and I will always support the U, just would like to hear some more positivity. Cause right now many are getting the feeling we are going to suck and who wants to support a loser in a bandwagon state like Minnesota?

True, Tressel did win DIAA championships at Youngstown State. However, he cheated, yes, that's right, Tressel showed a lack of integrity BEFORE he got to The University of Ohio State. Youngstown State has still not recovered from the sanctions put on them by the NCAA.

So, in comparison, I'd take a Kill any day over someone who has skirted the rules and who lives on the edge of integrity.

And for the record, Tressel won a national championship at The University of Ohio State with John Cooper's talent. Cooper could recruit, better than Tressel, he just couldn't coach.

Way to ignore what Kill did to Brewster last year. On a net-net deal Kill has Punky by a TD.

But go ahead, concentrate on the negative! Good for you!! Now, go ahead and change your stage name to DebbieDowner :pig:

I don't blame anyone for being hesitant to be "sold" on Kill. He hasn't done it on the BCS level. That alone is worth a pause.

I am curious, what is Minnesota's record during the BCS era? I don't know, but I think it is probably safe to say that the same could be true of the Gopher football program. I'm just saying...

Top Bottom