Jerry Kill not sure Im sold?

lakesgopher

Reaction score
Im trying to come around on Kill. He appears to be a decent coach but I do have issues with this hire...still. Im hoping some of you guys can give me some more knowledge on Kill since many of you have him sitting next to Jesus.

I am one of those guys that wanted a proven fbs winner. Kill won everywhere except Emporia. If Kill would have coached in a National Championship at any of the schools other than N Ill I would have been more impressed. Not comparing hires, but Jim Tressel worked his way up but won national titles on his to Ohio St. The fact that Kill has never really won a "big game" makes me uneasy. Doesnt mean he wont or couldnt have if he would have stuck around any of those other places longer but makes me wonder if he can get us to the top of the Big Ten.

I hate the "lower expectations" comments from Kill regarding depth. Im not buying it as much as the media and many GopherHolers. I agree WR and DB are relatively thin. We are young on the OL but I dont think they are a bunch of no talent hacks. Most are relatively highly regarded kids that should make a solid impact early. I expect Kill to do a better job than Mason so all these 3 star lineman should be impact players early.

This team already looks faster than any of the brewster teams and brew was able to make bowl games. there is obvious talent on this team compared to 07 when the cupboard was virtually bare. Im hoping all of the "we lack speed, we lack depth" is just to get more work out of his current roster. But reading comments from many on here who say its refreshing to have "real talk" out our head coach are just trying to make themselves feel better about their hatred for brewster. I hope Kill has success and I will always support the U, just would like to hear some more positivity. Cause right now many are getting the feeling we are going to suck and who wants to support a loser in a bandwagon state like Minnesota?

You forget to mention that they are "Anti-Alipate characters".

"I am one of those guys that wanted a proven fbs winner. Kill won everywhere except Emporia. If Kill would have coached in a National Championship at any of the schools other than N Ill I would have been more impressed. Not comparing hires, but Jim Tressel worked his way up but won national titles on his to Ohio St. The fact that Kill has never really won a "big game" makes me uneasy. Doesnt mean he wont or couldnt have if he would have stuck around any of those other places longer but makes me wonder if he can get us to the top of the Big Ten."

What the heck is this about??? Why would a proven fbs winner want to come to Minnesota in the shape we were in (unless he couldn't get a job anywhere else..i.e. Leach)??? You compare Coach Kill to Jim Tressel who never was a proven fbs winner prior to his Ohio hire.

Coach Kill's style may not be the style you want/expect, but I, for one, think the results are going to speak for themselves.

Proven Division I-A winners are not lining up to coach football at the University of Minnesota. I am sorry if this news comes as a shock to you.

i wasnt comparing the hires, just thought i would explain my reasoning about kill coming up through the ranks and the fact he has yet to coach in a championship game. the guy can coach, just wishing he didnt sound like we are going to be god awful. heard him yesterday say its going to be a long year with our lack of speed.

GRGOPHER-obviously your ready to throw a temper tantrum because im not sold that kill is the next warmath. i thought i was being very trivial when it came to my pessimistic optimism.

dpodoll-it is tough being the smartest person on a msg board so im not going to take your insult personally. but the gopher job is still better than any great fcs job.

my comments arent an insult to kill and his camp, even though many of you will take them as if im not a fan of the program and that my concerns arent warranted because kill has proven he is a great coach at minnesota. i should have probably titled this different so it wasnt perceived as if i hate jerry kill. again, i think he is a good coach, im just concerned about this negativity about this team and what it could potentially do for ticket sales. renewals are up so thats good but are the renewals people who plan on having the tickets and selling the seats to opposing fans because we are being led to believe we will be bad? i liked virtually everything i saw yesterday, until kill made a few comments about lack of speed and depth. i cant wait until usc when we will actually know the progress the team is making.

my bad dp, i will no longer raise my personal concerns about my team because im not as bright as you are

i wasnt comparing the hires, just thought i would explain my reasoning about kill coming up through the ranks and the fact he has yet to coach in a championship game. the guy can coach, just wishing he didnt sound like we are going to be god awful. heard him yesterday say its going to be a long year with our lack of speed.

GRGOPHER-obviously your ready to throw a temper tantrum because im not sold that kill is the next warmath. i thought i was being very trivial when it came to my pessimistic optimism.

Lots of commentors on GH are. Tell us something a lot of us do NOT already know.

Take your trivial attitude and go to Grand Forks and help the University of North Dakota fight the NCAA over a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing nickname.

I've never heard anyone say that Kill is going to be the next Warmath. The prevailing feeling ere about Kill that I've seen is that most fans are cautiously optimistic but have a feeling that the future is bright. How bright, that remains to be seen.

dpodoll-it is tough being the smartest person on a msg board so im not going to take your insult personally. but the gopher job is still better than any great fcs job.

my comments arent an insult to kill and his camp, even though many of you will take them as if im not a fan of the program and that my concerns arent warranted because kill has proven he is a great coach at minnesota. i should have probably titled this different so it wasnt perceived as if i hate jerry kill. again, i think he is a good coach, im just concerned about this negativity about this team and what it could potentially do for ticket sales. renewals are up so thats good but are the renewals people who plan on having the tickets and selling the seats to opposing fans because we are being led to believe we will be bad? i liked virtually everything i saw yesterday, until kill made a few comments about lack of speed and depth. i cant wait until usc when we will actually know the progress the team is making.

my bad dp, i will no longer raise my personal concerns about my team because im not as bright as you are

WHEW!!!! I'm glad you didn't rush to this conclusion and waited to see 15 spring practices before arriving at your concerns.

my bad im an idiot-i should probably walk into oncoming traffic because i was bored and attempted to strike a conversation.

Sorry if you thought it was a temper tantrum...I just didn't want to go back to the pre-hire b.s. again! And you do have a right to your own opinion, just as I do. But I think you miss the point of Coach Kill sounding like we're going to be "God awful". He wants us to be realistic about where we're at. But I strongly suspect he would rather have us be pleasantly surprised this season, thus he's trying to keep expectations low. Don't you like seeing a team that is better than you thought you were going to be? (Brewster's approach was just the opposite and we all know how we felt as the season(s) progressed).

I think some of you are a little over the top here. Maybe you are confusing lakesgopher with our good buddy LakesBison, the NDSU super fan master of the unusual punctuation. If not, I'm not sure that taking the "I wish I'd hear more positives" side is anything to get all up in arms about. Are we so scarred from Brew that shin-kicking is in vogue across the state? I'm personally in favor of how Kill is handling things ... so I'd disagree with the essential point lakes bring up... but I'm not sure his argument is that far out in left field as compared to many you see on this site.

I think some of you are a little over the top here. Maybe you are confusing lakesgopher with our good buddy LakesBison, the NDSU super fan master of the unusual punctuation. If not, I'm not sure that taking the "I wish I'd hear more positives" side is anything to get all up in arms about. Are we so scarred from Brew that shin-kicking is in vogue across the state? I'm personally in favor of how Kill is handling things ... so I'd disagree with the essential point lakes bring up... but I'm not sure his argument is that far out in left field as compared to many you see on this site.

pretty sure they think im the notorious lakesbison, might have to change my name. my whole point was more based on the seemingly negative comments about this team. im curious if its more of a challenge to the team to work harder than it is reality. im cool with cool being more honest and not selling false hope, but i also dont want him to get used to the mason undersell and overachieve and think we will be satisfied.

it appears gopherhole is still on edge from the previous staff and many want to attack fellow fans. pretty awesome idea, or something.

my bad im an idiot-i should probably walk into oncoming traffic because i was bored and attempted to strike a conversation.

You are attacking everyone who, like you, was bored and attempted to reply with an opinion different than your own. Not much of a conversation.

Is it just a very happy coincidence that Kill goes about running the public-viewable portion of the Gopher football program exactly opposite of the way Brewster does?

I think Kill is next to god right now because fans hated Brewster so much by the end and Kill is like the anti-Brewster.

Give it some time and lets see how many games he wins. If it's 4 years later and he isn't a winner, people will be calling for the next coach.

Let's say your a fan of the Gopher Football team. That would allow you to be supportive of the coach of the team. While some people find that idea startling, if not down right radical, it should be perfectly acceptable.

If that makes you uncomfortable, then if it also perfectly acceptable to not be "sold on Kill" for another good reason - his Gophers haven't played a game yet. You can be happy that Brewster is gone or even upset that he didn't work out. Kill? Why would you be for or against his hire now anyway?

They are 0-0.

Proven Division I-A winners are not lining up to coach football at the University of Minnesota. I am sorry if this news comes as a shock to you.

Along with that, I am not sure a whole lot of them were really available. Look at who Michigan and Miami hired...

personally, I was hoping for others as well, but in learning about Kill and seeing how he has approached his opportunity at the U, and all things being considered, I think the U got the right guy.

Nothing wrong with your query. We are (most of us) somewhat hopeful, but Kill and company did have their detractors on chat lines at NIU (largely because of dull, predictable offenses) and there have been a heap of injuries this spring, including to important players. I still haven't read anything authoritive on McKnight's injury.

IMO, he is doing everything right to turn this program with weighty optimism.

Full accounting on the success or failure of the program will be in three years.

So far I like what I see.

Oh god, please tell me...

...that there aren't going to be too many more strings like this before fall camp begins. I think I would even prefer one of wren's comments to this string. Three and a half months until fall camp will seem like an eternity if this is what is going to happen.:)

I don't think you should be sold on Kill, there's no reason to be. He has not competed for a big ten title, consistently won trophy games, or recruited a nationally regarded group of athletes. It's really not important what you think of Jerry Kill now, he is what his record is 3 years from now. I was very upset with the hire, but I'd love to be wrong. I do like his comments about recruiting speed and getting faster and I hope that comes to pass. The one thing I do disagree with you on is that I do feel this team lacks speed at key positions such as WR and DB. Brewster lost Smith because he had a child back home, lost Allen for whatever reason, Marquise Hill could not get in to school, etc,etc. If I had more time to think about it I could probably come up with 2 or 3 more kids with speed who should have been on the roster this year.

After Brewster, Kill would have had no honeymoon at all if he had come in talking about how fantastic the Gophers were going to be, there just wasn't any more patience for that. Had Brewster been able to pull it off, his enthusiastic attitude would have been seen as a positive. There are a lot of reasons to be enthusiastic about the Kill regime, but we need to have realistic attitudes about year one.

Nothing wrong with your query. We are (most of us) somewhat hopeful, but Kill and company did have their detractors on chat lines at NIU (largely because of dull, predictable offenses) and there have been a heap of injuries this spring, including to important players. I still haven't read anything authoritive on McKnight's injury.

I guess I'll take dull, predictable offenses that are consistently among the top yards and scoring teams in the nation. MarQueis will flourish under this system. Think Rick Foggie with size...

Coach Kill may not do squat at MN. But the guy has a proven track record, has a system that has produced winners and has strong staff continuity.

I liked felt he was the right choice even before he was hired Kill and had a better record than Golden, Hoke, Sumlin, etc.

I am glad Maturi did not hire a OC or DC who would need time to form a staff and develop a program. Coach Kill hit the ground running.

He does not have an OSU roster to work and is trying to make something of a three win squad. Coach Kill knows that it is a steep climb to the top of the Big Ten.

The continuity is a big plus. There won't be a period of uncertainty with the staff figuring out how all this fits together. They can teach the players instead of trying to learn it themselves.

I don't think that Coach Kill's complaining about where the teams at is a problem. I take it with a grain of salt, because I expect him to have his standards set to what we need, to compete for the B10 championship. I pay more attention to the statements of the coordinaters. It's the staffs job, to push the team to be as good as possible, and not settle for anyting less. I expect that after two a days Coach Kill will soften his tone a little

Think People, Think

I don't think that Coach Kill's complaining about where the teams at is a problem. I take it with a grain of salt, because I expect him to have his standards set to what we need, to compete for the B10 championship. I pay more attention to the statements of the coordinaters. It's the staffs job, to push the team to be as good as possible, and not settle for anyting less. I expect that after two a days Coach Kill will soften his tone a little

nsmike - You seem to realize what is going on. There are words and then there are the messages behind the words that Jerry Kill says to his players and to the public. There may be a variety of reasons for them but there is a clear objective behind them. He is not speaking in tongue. Jerry knows clearly what he wants, where he is going, and how he is going to get there. If you have not noticed yet, everything Jerry says and does is designed to achieve his goals. Once you realize this, it isn't that hard to understand what and why he is saying the things he says.

nsmike - You seem to realize what is going on. There are words and then there are the messages behind the words that Jerry Kill says to his players and to the public. There may be a variety of reasons for them but there is a clear objective behind them. He is not speaking in tongue. Jerry knows clearly what he wants, where he is going, and how he is going to get there. If you have not noticed yet, everything Jerry says and does is designed to achieve his goals. Once you realize this, it isn't that hard to understand what and why he is saying the things he says.

Are you related to Friend of Tubby?

Top Bottom