Jerry Kill is my #1 choice to replace Brew

My biggest concern with Kill is that (according to his bio) he has never been around a big-time program, neither as a player, nor as a coach. Sure he has a lot of head coaching experience, but his D-1A experience as a player & coach is a grand total of 2.5 years with a MAC school.

2008- Head Coach, Northern Illinois
2001-07: Head Coach, Southern Illinois
1999-2000: Head Coach, Emporia State (Kans.)
1994-98: Head Coach, Saginaw Valley State (Mich.)
1990-93: Offensive Coordinator, Pittsburg State (Kans.)
1988-89: Head Coach, Webb City H.S. (Mo.)
1985-87: Defensive Coordinator, Pittsburg State
1979-1982: Player for Southwestern College (Kans.), Linebacker

Not saying he would be a failure, but IMO whether or not he could succeed as a head coach in the Big Ten is about as big of a question as it was with Brewster.

There are no guarantees, but Kill's resume is MUCH more solid than Brewster's. The big name coach can be a flop too. Kill has OC and CD experience, and HC experience at the I-AA and I-A level. He gets wins and can turn a program around.

Bronco Mendenhall?

Seems he is proven and having a down year right now. But, he has a plus .700 winning percentage over 5 years. He still has fire in his belly!

Kill's a good guy. My only problem with him is that he looks a little bit like pantherhawk.

killpantherhawk.jpg

Don't catch Dan "I just beat your team" Monson Syndrome. The guy turned around Illinois State. Thats good. The guy is currently 17-14 at NIU. NIU is traditionally one of the better MAC schools. I wouldn't say that he has been doing fantastic at NIU just yet. Honestly, if NIU hadn't played the gophers this year, what percentage of gopherholers would even know who he is (let alone think he is a good candidate)? like 25%?

Don't catch Dan "I just beat your team" Monson Syndrome. The guy turned around Illinois State. Thats good. The guy is currently 17-14 at NIU. NIU is traditionally one of the better MAC schools. I wouldn't say that he has been doing fantastic at NIU just yet. Honestly, if NIU hadn't played the gophers this year, what percentage of gopherholers would even know who he is (let alone think he is a good candidate)? like 25%?

Traditionally doesn't matter. Traditionally never matters. Northern Illinois had been one of the better MAC schools, but it was in the ditch when Kill took over.

So you're saying that Brewster is really a good coach, just with bad talent?

No I am saying Brewster is a bad coach with bad talent.
Zook is a bad coach with Good talent.
Mason was a good coach with Bad Talent.

End results of all 3 combos are less than optimal. You can get lucky and win big once with talent and no coaching. You can be above average consistently but never break through with good coaching and no talent. You have to get lucky to be .500 if you have poor talent and bad coaching.

Traditionally doesn't matter. Traditionally never matters. Northern Illinois had been one of the better MAC schools, but it was in the ditch when Kill took over.

So you are saying that a guy like Schiano doesn't get more credit for winning 11 games at Rutgers than Les Miles gets when he wins 10 games at LSU? Get real.

You're welcome to have Jerry Kill, but the idea our program was in a ditch when he took over is just ridiculous. The team that won 2 games, was not the team that Jerry Kill took over. We had an ungodly amount of injuries paired with a rebuilding year where you saw mostly freshman and sophomores out there. When he came here, we had just opened new facilities, and the cupboard was full of talent. The players that beat you a couple weeks ago were not Jerry Kill's guys. Spann, Harnish, Coffman, Palmer, Cox, most of the defense, were all here when he got here.

The fact we only went .500 over the first two years while Kill was the coach is a joke, we've lost to numerous teams that had less talent than us while he was here (Idaho, Toledo come to mind among others). Until we beat Temple last week, we had not beat one team with a winning record. We've been routinely outcoached.

He's won with the previous coach's players (Spann, Harnish, etc..) and he's struggled greatly with personnel decisions. Chad Spann was the number 2 running back for the last year and a half although it was obvious to everyone outside of the program he was the better player. He won first team all conference and started 4 games, that doesn't say much for the coaching decisions. Every other coach in the conference believed he was the best running back, yet Jerry Kill was happy to give him less than 10 carries a game until the second half of last year. You saw first hand what Spann can do. Our QB, Harnish was the number 2 to start the season this year against Iowa State, the starter in that game threw for 95 yards and 3 interceptions and basically ruined any momentum our program had going into the season.

The guy may also be the worst clock manager in all of college football. He gets his kids ready to play most of the time, and he's supposedly a great recruiter, although we've yet to see much evidence of that, it's only year 3. He makes solid adjustments in the second half and overall is not killing our program, but he surely isn't a great coach by any means. I don't think you'd see a lot of upset fans here if he happened to leave NIU for a bigger program.

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.

The same collection of talent that was "in a ditch" is now 4 - 2, and seems to be playing alright. Surprisingly when they are on the field and not in in the trainers room they win more games. I know.. it's crazy, but that's how it works.

We're just as stunned as anybody, but apparently you can't win just by having the better players in the building, they actually have to be on the field.

It's nice you've taken a little interest in our program and coaching staff, but you clearly know nothing about it, nor did you watch any of our games. I don't expect you to, we're a mediocre mid-major, you have no reason to know what players were hurt or who was playing in those games.

Don't pretend to be an expert though, you sound like an ass. Anyone associated with the program would laugh at you if you told them the program was in a ditch when Jerry Kill took over. Including Jerry Kill.

Any place, any time, a 2-10 team is in the ditch. I don't need to be an expert on NIU to know this. Just to know something about football.

The 2-10 NIU team was 2007. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the 2010 team is the same collection of talent as the 2007 team?

And I don't sound like an ass, I don't sound anything like you. Get over yourself.

You're talking as if you're an expert about something you know nothing about.

I don't expect you to know about NIU, but I'd never be stupid enough to look at Minnesota's schedule from 3 years ago and suggest I know a thing about your season or the talent on your roster at the time.

The stars of the team we have now were on that team. There was no ditch, it was a rebuilding year combined with injuries to the key players (the quarterback among others). We lost 5 games by less than a touchdown with a walk-on sophomore quarterback playing because the starter had an arm injury.

You don't know about the program, and that's fine, but you're wrong. There was plenty of talent on the roster when Jerry Kill took over.

You're talking as if you're an expert about something you know nothing about.

I don't expect you to know about NIU, but I'd never be stupid enough to look at Minnesota's schedule from 3 years ago and suggest I know a thing about your season or the talent on your roster at the time.

You don't need to be an expert to know that a 2-10 team is bad.

The 2007 Minnesota Gophers team was 1-11. You think it would be "stupid" to look at that record and think it tells you something?

Without any information? Of course it'd be stupid. Maybe you had 3 quarterbacks go down, we've used our 5th running back before in a season before, I'm sure you've had injuries.

This is football, obviously your team probably wasn't good, but for all I know they could have been a .500 team before injuries took their toll or a coaching change or a death in the program, or a bunch of suspensions due to academics. I don't have a clue what went into your one win season, but I'd never suggest I do either without doing some homework and talking to people who actually know what happened.

Just looking at the record I'd probably suggest it must have been one of the least talented teams in the country, and then someone who actually knew what they were talking about would probably tell me, "Hey, we weren't that bad, our coach died, two of our quarterbacks got hurt and half the defense was suspended and we only lost by a touchdown in half our games. We had plenty of talent, it just wasn't on the field. We're probably at least a .500 team when healthy."

I'd look like an ignorant fool for suggesting the new coach took over a bad team, when he actually had elite players sitting on the sideline. Maybe guys like true freshmen Chandler Harnish, now top 10 in the country in quarterback rating, or Chad Spann, Doak Walker finalist or Jake Coffman. And I'd feel like an ass for talking about something I knew nothing about.

Go crawl back under your bridge. 2-10 teams are bad teams. Everyone has injuries. That there were young players on a bad team who turned out to be pretty good a few years later is not neither surprising not relevant. I admit I am not expert. But the experts all agreed that NIU was in a ditch.

Making mincemeat of trolls is amusing.

Does the fact that the Gophers were 1-11 in Brewster's first year and then went to bowl games the following two years mean that he turned the Gophers around?

Does the fact that the Gophers were 1-11 in Brewster's first year and then went to bowl games the following two years mean that he turned the Gophers around?

2008 and 2009 were improvements over 2007, but it would only be a turnaround if he wasn't responsible for 2007. If Mason's last year had been the 1-11 season, and Brewster had come in and had a 7-6 season, that would be seen as a turnaround.

I'm not a troll.. you were misinformed. You had bad information on what Jerry Kill came into so I tried to help you out. I'm sorry you'd rather be ignorant about the situation.

He didn't turn around a program, we had a winning record 7 out of the last 8 years before he got here and had just opened up new facilities, he couldn't have got here at a better time. We've been .500 since he got here. That's not a turn around, that isn't getting us out of a ditch. It's being mediocre at a place that was already mediocre.

You came here, and rather than simply disagreeing, decided to be an ass. I admit I'm not an expert, but just about every expert in the country thought that NIU was in the ditch. If you want to say that a 2-10 team isn't in the ditch, please, go right ahead. Experts agree that a 2-10 team is pretty much in the ditch, it's pretty much the definition.

No experts thought NIU was down. I can't imagine you were following the expert's opinions of NIU in 2008, but if you were you would know that.

I was quite respectful in my original post and you were a dick. Instead of saying, thanks, good to know the team wasn't that bad, clearly NIU did have plenty of talent on the roster, you were a jackass about it.

Don't let your bitterness over your program cloud your judgment. Not everyone comes over here with ill intentions. My first post was not negative towards you in any way, it was just to inform you what Jerry Kill actually got into when he originally got here.

Here's an experts preview for an example (Scout.com / College Football News)
Last year's 2-10 record was a total mirage. Oh sure, there were going to be issues even if the team was completely healthy, the passing game was going to be inconsistent and the run defense was likely to be an issue, but no one had injury issues like NIU suffered. Not only were there problems throughout the season, but 22 players missed time.

Star tackling linebacker Tim McCarthy will be back from a knee injury. Top receivers Britt Davis and Matt Simon are getting over shoulder injuries. The best defensive tackle, Craig Rusch, is coming back from a knee injury, starting quarterback Dan Nicholson is coming off a shoulder injury, and key running back Montell Clanton is coming off an ACL. Those are just a few of the players who made last season inconsistent and, in the end, a nightmare.

Now the banged up stars are expected to be back and ready to roll, and with 55 returning lettermen, and just nine gone, and with 21 returning starters, this veteran team should start to win almost all the close games after going 0-5 in games decided by six points or fewer.

The season will be a success if ... NIU wins the MAC title.

How concerning is it that several GopherHole regular posters is drolling at the option to get a coach from a mid major and what appears to be a level headed fan of that team seems to be indifferent to the thought of said coach leaving? Maybe that team was in the ditch, maybe they were not, but the question should be why. The season in "the ditch" appears to be an anomaly compared to the prior decade of NIU football, suggesting a short term (one year) probalm such as injuries, not a bigger problem.

No experts thought NIU was down. I can't imagine you were following the expert's opinions of NIU in 2008, but if you were you would know that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bottom100712

I was quite respectful in my original post and you were a dick. Instead of saying, thanks, good to know the team wasn't that bad, clearly NIU did have plenty of talent on the roster, you were a jackass about it.

No, I was not. I simply stated that a 2-10 team is in the ditch, and then you got huffy. That wasn't being a dick, that was simply a disagreement. You're not going to find many people who disagree that a 2-10 team is a bad team.

Don't let your bitterness over your *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty program cloud your judgment. Not everyone comes over here with ill intentions. My first post was not negative towards you in any way, it was just to inform you what Jerry Kill actually got into when he originally got here.

And don't let your homer apologetics cloud yours.

How concerning is it that several GopherHole regular posters is drolling at the option to get a coach from a mid major and what appears to be a level headed fan of that team seems to be indifferent to the thought of said coach leaving? Maybe that team was in the ditch, maybe they were not, but the question should be why. The season in "the ditch" appears to be an anomaly compared to the prior decade of NIU football, suggesting a short term (one year) probalm such as injuries, not a bigger problem.

Why should it be concerning to be considering a coach from the mid-major ranks? All the good coaches stared somewhere. Ohio State picked a coach from the I-AA ranks, clearly they thought that he was a good coach.

Why should it be concerning to be considering a coach from the mid-major ranks? All the good coaches stared somewhere. Ohio State picked a coach from the I-AA ranks, clearly they thought that he was a good coach.

It should be concerning that rational fans of that program are indifferent about losing their coach, not that he is from a mid-major. Your ability to stay on point is outstanding. Ohio State has nothing to do with this. Jim Trussel is a great coach, but he is at one of the two major colleges that do not have to "recruit" top level players. Both Texas and Ohio State select the vast majority of their players from in state. The key is to not make selection mistakes. Your comparison is apples to oranges compared to what is needed to be the MN head coach.

Thanks for playing? That's what you said to my original post.

That's being a dick. You were wrong, it happens.

You're not going to find many people who disagree that a 2-10 team is a bad team.

RR, have you ever heard of the word "circumstances"?

For just one example off the top of my head, the 1997 Spurs were 20-62 (.244). The year before, they were 59-23 (.720), and the year after, they were 56-26 (.683). How were they so bad in 1997? Their two best players (Robinson and Elliott) missed most of the season. I don't think outside observers would've labeled the Spurs "in the ditch" because they had their best players hurt. Who does that sound like to you? Oh yeah - the 2007 NIU Huskies.

Top Bottom