Jerry Kill is my #1 choice to replace Brew

Brewster brought in parts, and tried to figure out how to assemble them. Fisch was another part, he had some great X's and O's on paper. But they didn't fit in, it was a Rube Goldberg contraption. Kill looks like he has a real working machine.

Kill didn't just win with Southern Illinois, he left them a lot better than he found them. They were a bad team when he got there, and a very good team when he left. In 2008 they were 9-3, and last year they were 11-2, so he left them with the tools to keep winning after he left.

I'd rather sign Brewster to a lifetime contract than hire Bohl.

haha, hey you may be on to something.

Give Brewster a lifelong deal. Sooner or later, just by the laws of nature, sheer randomness, and the numbers game he is bound to have at least 2 winning seasons and a bowl game victory.

I'm just imagining TCF Bank Stadium with 50,000 people all chanting "Kill! Kill! Kill!"

I think that is a fine idea regardless of who we hire as the next coach. But if don't hire Jerry Kill, it might appear rather tactless.

Not a big fan of geek humor internet pictures.

you_suck_sad.jpg

Sorry, but I had to. :)

Another thing in Kill's favor, there's a good chance he would retain our best recruiter, in Thomas Hammock. Hammock has a lot of ties to Northern Illinios. People have dissed Kill's farming background but it could come in handy in connecting to Outstate Minnesota.

Another thing in Kill's favor, there's a good chance he would retain our best recruiter, in Thomas Hammock. Hammock has a lot of ties to Northern Illinios. People have dissed Kill's farming background but it could come in handy in connecting to Outstate Minnesota.

Who has dissed his farming background? What has happened is the opposite, people have been fawning all over him because of his farming background. I think he would be a good hire. I just don't care a bit what background he has. I grew up in outstate Minnesota, I really don't think that people in outstate Minnesota are going to care what sort of background a football coach has.

When is he going to recruit a running back?

"I think the real key to my success is the people that I have surrounded myself with," Kill said. "I have always been able to surround myself with good people that are loyal and that can recruit."

Good quote.

This is the key to success for just about anybody who has enjoyed any level of success in their particular profession of choice, regardless of what that may be. I'm always amazed when I see people who I thought were otherwise very bright and sharp individuals choose to surround themselves with dead weight.

I like him.

If a change is made, Kill for the Gophers.

Sounds good to me, I will file Kill in my brain as another candidate I would be okay with.

Plus something just dawned on me: as a summer job when I was in grade school... I walked bean fields to pull weeds. That has to count for a lot of popularity among my fellow Gopher fans.

Can somebody give me a quick rundown of what he has done or a link to his wikipedia page. I am really lazy.

Also, didn't he kind of inherit a winning program at NIU? Not saying he is not a good coach, but English was not his recruit.

People have dissed Kill's farming background but it could come in handy in connecting to Outstate Minnesota.

Sorry if this offends my fellow Minnesotans but we need someone who can recruit players from OUTSIDE the state of Minnesota if we are ever to win a BT title again. Outstate MN players should not be the goal of recruiting. Every now and again we find a Decker-type guy, but this is the exception, not the rule. I just do not understand the fascination everyone has with "it would be cool if our new coach had MN ties or midwest ties."

It's worth noting that Kill has some health issues that the administration would need to weigh before considering a commitment to him. He's suffered from seizures including a bout on the sidelines against Illinois State. That led to his diagnosis with kidney cancer. He was treated and is currently in remission, but it's still a potential issue. Furthermore he was just hospitalized last month for an undisclosed issue the university wouldn't make public in deference to his privacy.

Can somebody give me a quick rundown of what he has done or a link to his wikipedia page. I am really lazy.

Also, didn't he kind of inherit a winning program at NIU? Not saying he is not a good coach, but English was not his recruit.

Kill took over from Joe Novak who retired after a bad year (2-10) in 2007 but had seven straight winning seasons prior to that including a 10 win season (including a win at Alabama) in 2003.

Kill was 13-13 at N. Ill. coming into this season and is 4-2 so far this year, losing to Iowa St and Illinois. Last year they beat Purdue.

Sorry if this offends my fellow Minnesotans but we need someone who can recruit players from OUTSIDE the state of Minnesota if we are ever to win a BT title again. Outstate MN players should not be the goal of recruiting. Every now and again we find a Decker-type guy, but this is the exception, not the rule. I just do not understand the fascination everyone has with "it would be cool if our new coach had MN ties or midwest ties."

Considering Jerry Kill has never lived in Minnesota, why do you think he would be unable to recruit outside of Minnesota?

Considering Jerry Kill has never lived in Minnesota, why do you think he would be unable to recruit outside of Minnesota?
He was speaking to the fact that his farming background having limited value.

I can't believe we're talking about his farming background.

1+

I was thinking more in terms of fan base and outstate support for the program. There are parts of the state that don't even carry Gopher games on the radio. There's more to the job of HC then recruiting.

What? When did I ever say Kill couldn't recruit outside of MN?

I just find it odd/somewhat irrelevent that people always use "he has ties to the midwest/MN" as some sort of criteria for the next coach. Example: Mason was a guy with BT coaching ties, but Brew has a better relationship with MN HS coaches.

The fact is that we have to do a lot better recruiting out of state. The high profile MN kids are not leaving the state because of poor recruiting ties to the area. They are leaving because we aren't winning. We must be able to get the type of talent from other parts of the country to be able to compete - then we can lock up the rare 4/5 star guys from the metro we need to get.

Also, the bulk of our guys need to come from out of state anyway - we don't produce a lot of top BT talent in this state.

I was thinking more in terms of fan base and outstate support for the program. There are parts of the state that don't even carry Gopher games on the radio. There's more to the job of HC then recruiting.

What part of the state? It's hard to be a in a part of the state were you can't get CCO with a good radio!

Imagine if we could also find a Henderson-type guy, an Allen-type guy, a Floyd type guy, etc. etc. too.

Imagine if we could also find a Henderson-type guy, an Allen-type guy, a Floyd type guy, etc. etc. too.

It certainly would be nice to have those type guys out-state and under the recruiting radar more often, wouldn't it? Maybe someday the level of MN HS talent will increase.

What part of the state? It's hard to be a in a part of the state were you can't get CCO with a good radio!

Going down 61 CCO gets iffy south of Wabasha, going west it gets iffy around Benson (30 mi W of Willmar), and north around Alexandria. It's an embarrassment that there isn't good border to border daytime coverage.

Going down 61 CCO gets iffy south of Wabasha, going west it gets iffy around Benson (30 mi W of Willmar), and north around Alexandria. It's an embarrassment that there isn't good border to border daytime coverage.

Its an embarrassment that you found 3 areas in an entire state that have iffy coverage?

My biggest concern with Kill is that (according to his bio) he has never been around a big-time program, neither as a player, nor as a coach. Sure he has a lot of head coaching experience, but his D-1A experience as a player & coach is a grand total of 2.5 years with a MAC school.

2008- Head Coach, Northern Illinois
2001-07: Head Coach, Southern Illinois
1999-2000: Head Coach, Emporia State (Kans.)
1994-98: Head Coach, Saginaw Valley State (Mich.)
1990-93: Offensive Coordinator, Pittsburg State (Kans.)
1988-89: Head Coach, Webb City H.S. (Mo.)
1985-87: Defensive Coordinator, Pittsburg State
1979-1982: Player for Southwestern College (Kans.), Linebacker

Not saying he would be a failure, but IMO whether or not he could succeed as a head coach in the Big Ten is about as big of a question as it was with Brewster.

There are 37 radio stations in the state that carry Gopher football. I suppose there are gaps in the coverage here and there. My dad used to listen to Gopher BB games on WCCO, with a good radio, you could just BARELY get WCCO up in NW Minnesota. There are now other radio stations that cover it, so coverage is better.

Top Bottom