Jerry Kill - Dunkers

I didn’t know these Dunkers existed until this situation came up.

Having said that I don’t have a problem with a group singing up some coach from New Mexico State to talk… game day seems like a weird time for the coach …. I assume these groups invite leaders of all kinds to talk?

The degree of paranoia, acrimony and too tender feelings about an organization asking a former MN FB coach to talk, an organization that seems to exist to let mostly older guys get together to hear coaches and players talk about college football is revealing.
Who in their right mind cares what the Dunkers do?
Will their actions cause PJ to be so distracted that MN loses?

The degree of paranoia, acrimony and too tender feelings about an organization asking a former MN FB coach to talk, an organization that seems to exist to let mostly older guys get together to hear coaches and players talk about college football is revealing.

What time does Burt speak to Wisconsin supporters on 10/1?

How is Dunkers related to Gopher Sports? I have never heard of them and don't know why I should be concerned about this. I looked at their website and it seems like just a bunch of old dudes that have a super secret club with breakfast.

How is Dunkers related to Gopher Sports? I have never heard of them and don't know why I should be concerned about this. I looked at their website and it seems like just a bunch of old dudes that have a super secret club with breakfast.
I think that is pretty much what it is. Sid Hartman used to mention it in his column. He must have been a member. That is the only reason I've heard of it.

The more I think about this whole thing, I hope we beat NMSU by 70. I used to be a Jerry fan. But I think back on his "this is just how I was raised" stuff that he uttered constantly. If he learned something from "how he was raised" then maybe he could have taken the high road when he left. Maybe he could have not taken 5 jobs in 5 years , and put his family through what was undoubtedly very, very trying times. Maybe he could have put them, or anyone, in front of himself. Maybe he could have actually uttered an apology (oh the horror) for some of the things he said about PJ and the U of MN. But I guess that's just "how he was raised."

Run it up, PJ. Run it up.

Oh, it ruined my week.

Exaggerate much?

Reactions: MRJ

I am sick of the segment of the population that thinks he was the second coming of Bernie Bierman or Murray Warmath.
I think it's this in a nutshell. Ol' Country Jer mesmerized a segment of the fan base (when he was taking time off from making boys into men of course) during his time here. He's clearly old school in ways that a portion of the fan base that couldn't sort through all the bullsh*t he was shoveling was put into a trance.

I'm not picking on Ol' Jer here per se because I think all coaches/managers have their own flavor of crapola they ladle out. I think Ol' Jer is a pretty good fundamental football coach, but his schtick wore thin with me pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Short memory? How was Coach Brew doing with team GPA? Do you remember Coach Brew doing much for community outreach? His players?
Seems tome there was huge difference between Kill and Brewster.
Jerry got pissy and many will not forgive him. I think he was petty but am ready to move on.
I think there was an initial uptick in the GPA when Brewster took over for Mason (I seem to remember that) and it was short-lived (I also seem to remember that) and team discipline did fall apart quite a bit and whatever promise was shown in Brewster's second and third seasons really dissipated in a hurry.

It is chilling to consider AJ Barker’s mom’s friend was right all along.

I have no idea if Jerry and Rebecca are still married or not. But I do recall how closely she was associated with the Gopher program when he was here and how he went on and on about her at his introductory press conference here. Contrast that with his intro presser at NMSU. I listened/watched it and unless I do not remember correctly, I don’t think Rebecca was mentioned at all.

I have no idea if Jerry and Rebecca are still married or not. But I do recall how closely she was associated with the Gopher program when he was here and how he went on and on about her at his introductory press conference here. Contrast that with his intro presser at NMSU. I listened/watched it and unless I do not remember correctly, I don’t think Rebecca was mentioned at all.
I really got sick of Kill's "I'm a homely guy with a hot wife. Do the math" crap.

Reactions: MRJ

What time does Burt speak to Wisconsin supporters on 10/1?
Chryst felt that talking to the WI equivalent of the Dunkers was a waste of time so that group dissolved. There is no one for BB to speak to.
But if there were a group and he did speak to it would be as meaningless as Kill speaking to the Dunkers.

Chryst felt that talking to the WI equivalent of the Dunkers was a waste of time so that group dissolved. There is no one for BB to speak to.
But if there were a group and he did speak to it would be as meaningless as Kill speaking to the Dunkers.

Or that group dissolved because all of the WI business leaders moved to the Twin Cities.

I really got sick of Kill's "I'm a homely guy with a hot wife. Do the math" crap.
And she's not even mentioned now in his bio, but the kids and grandkids are? I'm not good at math, but.......

Wonder how he feels now about that comment about PJ and him divorcing his first wife??????:unsure::unsure::unsure:

This is what I’m talking about too.

Fleck has made some players feel disrespected and caused them to leave the program. No doubt some of those guys were good people and some were bad.
Kind of like kill did the same thing.
And mason did the same thing.
Etc

Not sure why people hold up kill as this saintly person.

Remember when he used to publicly humiliate players by calling them the golden loafers. That was fun I guess. Also stupid.

Kill probably a good guy in some contexts and a bad guy in others. Kind of like every football coach.

I'm guessing Kill has some old friends in the group. I'm also guessing he would be gracious to his hosts.

I would have been fine with it.

I'm guessing Kill has some old friends in the group. I'm also guessing he would be gracious to his hosts.

I wouldn’t have cared but I see why some would

Especially the people kill treated poorly

Bring a guy like Kill in during the off season and nobody gives a crap or would probably even take notice.

Scheduling the former coach who blasted the U and the current coach to speak on the day of the first game was just a bad idea right from the start.

And this really is all about how Kill has handled himself since he left (wasn't fired, he left, honestly think he forgets that sometimes in his bitterness). For example, Mason speaking to the dunkers on the day of the first game wouldn't raise any issues. Because Mason has handled things with class and dignity in the years since he was the coach at the U.

Kill, yeah not so much.....hoping Fleck goes against his typical non-conf/early game strategy and ties to run up the score. I doubt he will but man I would love to see it happen.

Bring a guy like Kill in during the off season and nobody gives a crap or would probably even take notice.

Scheduling the former coach who blasted the U and the current coach to speak on the day of the first game was just a bad idea right from the start.

And this really is all about how Kill has handled himself since he left (wasn't fired, he left, honestly think he forgets that sometimes in his bitterness). For example, Mason speaking to the dunkers on the day of the first game wouldn't raise any issues. Because Mason has handled things with class and dignity in the years since he was the coach at the U. And Mason isn’t coaching the opponent that day.

Kill, yeah not so much.....hoping Fleck goes against his typical non-conf/early game strategy and ties to run up the score. I doubt he will but man I would love to see it happen.
Added a line for you

So kinda like your opinion?

Fleck has made some players feel disrespected and caused them to leave the program. No doubt some of those guys were good people and some were bad.

"Disrespected" now means "yeah I'm doing dumb shit and I'm irresponsible, but lay off me, I can tackle a guy".

Kill did win Floyd twice, so he’ll always my admiration, despite the things that he said after leaving.
Jeff Horton won 100% of Floyd games as a head coach.

Also 100% of trophy games (that anyone cares about).

I don’t know that Jeff was a better HC, but I think it does show how bad a sample rate just a couple games / wins is.

Last edited:

Jeff Horton won 100% of Floyd games as a head coach.

Also 100% of trophy games (that anyone cares about).
I'm in a nitpicking mood......I believe he lost to Penn State (Paterno's last game against the Gophers).

Where the bell is held in terms of importance.......I don't know. I report, you decide!

I have solution!

Let Jer speak, but he has wear a “Golden Loafer” shirt ….You’re welcome.

And she's not even mentioned now in his bio, but the kids and grandkids are? I'm not good at math, but.......

Wonder how he feels now about that comment about PJ and him divorcing his first wife??????:unsure::unsure::unsure:
I was talking more about when he was here and was constantly blabbing on about how his wife was so hot and he was troll-like. Just this drumbeat of tub-thumping insinuating how his cojones were super-sized.

Last edited:

Top Bottom