Jerry Kill: “Do I miss it as a head coach? Hell yes.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Star Telegram:

LOOKING AHEAD
Kill found his inner Patterson when asked if he missed running his own program.

“Hell yes,” Kill said, similar words Patterson said in a postgame TV interview last season following the Texas victory.

Kill was forced to step down as Minnesota’s coach midway through the 2015 season, debilitated by epileptic seizures. He simply couldn’t continue the stressful demands and long hours of being a D-1 head coach.

He changed his diet, exercised more and got more sleep. Kill hasn’t had a seizure in “a long time,” and is a two-time cancer survivor.

“I’ve had to change my whole lifestyle,” Kill said. “When I went down to Virginia Tech, I had cancer but I’m in remission again. Even then I felt great. It’s all about your mental state of mind, but I’ve felt great.

“Do I miss it as a head coach? Hell yes.”

Go Gophers!!

“He changed his diet, exercised more and got more sleep. Kill hasn’t had a seizure in “a long time,”

I feel like I have heard this before.
Break the cycle Jerry. Enjoy your family.

“He changed his diet, exercised more and got more sleep. Kill hasn’t had a seizure in “a long time,”

If I had half his money I'd just retire on a beach in Mexico. But ol Jer is a.... Oh wait that's for the copy and paste guy.

I wish him the best.

Kill hasn’t had a seizure in “a long time,”

Not sure I buy this, it seemed like he wasn't entirely open / honest about his condition until he retired.

Now he starts to making amends with people whom he's hurt with his comments etc. Believe he'll feel better yet and with less stress.

Open ended question: Why do we still talk about Jerry Kill?

The man went .500 in his time here and has gone out of his way to trash the school, the program and our coach since he left. And why? Apparently it's because he didn't like Fleck talking about changing the culture when he was hired.

Just want to gauge what it is that people here find so appealing and interesting about him. At this point, I'm genuinely curious.

The man went .500 in his time here and has gone out of his way to trash the school the program and our coach since he left. And why? Apparently it's because he didn't like Fleck talking about changing the culture when he was hired.

Just want to gauge what it is that people here find so appealing and interesting about him. At this point, I'm genuinely curious.
Pardon my ignorance but when did he go out of his way to trash the school

Now he starts to making amends with people whom he's hurt with his comments etc. Believe he'll feel better yet and with less stress.
Who has he hurt with his comments other than PJ fans?

ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. it doesn’t surprise me one bit that he’s changed his lifestyle and is healthier now. jer’ knows that if he is healthy he can impact more boys. tcu is next in line to feel his impact.

I don't have the full quote of Coyle, but if the article is correct Coyle says that Claeys' regime was classless and lacking integrity which I would assume Kill would hear that he was lacking class and integrity. One could then argue that Coyle went out of his way to trash Claeys and Kill.

Personally I think the manner in which Fleck spoke about culture when he arrived gave the impression that Claeys and Kill had a bad culture -- which Fleck has denied saying instead that wanting to change the culture didn't imply the former was bad. Regardless if that is true or not, Kill didn't like the insinuation that he was lacking integrity and class in addition to promoting a bad culture. He responded to those accusations and now you think we should no longer discuss him because of that --- I am genuinely curious why someone being critical of your university and football coach means you shouldn't discuss them anymore.

Last edited:

The man went .500 in his time here and has gone out of his way to trash the school, the program and our coach since he left. And why? Apparently it's because he didn't like Fleck talking about changing the culture when he was hired.

People seem to enjoy keeping track of him, more so than other ex Gopher football coaches. Not sure why.

It doesn’t feel to me that people do it any more so than they do it for Brew or Mason. Do you disagree?

I think we should let it go and enjoy the ride we are on. We are clearly in a better place today than we were a few years ago. I will not be reading or posting again about past coaches.

I don't have the full quote of Coyle, but if the article is correct Coyle says that Claeys' regime was classless and lacking integrity which I would assume Kill would hear that he was lacking class and integrity. One could then argue that Coyle went out of his way to trash Claeys and Kill.

Personally I think the manner in which Fleck spoke about culture when he arrived gave the impression that Claeys and Kill had a bad culture -- which Fleck has denied saying instead that wanting to change the culture didn't imply the former was bad. Regardless if that is true or not, Kill didn't like the insinuation that he was lacking integrity and class in addition to promoting a bad culture. He responded to those accusations and now you think we should no longer discuss him because of that --- I am genuinely curious why someone being critical of your university and football coach means you shouldn't discuss them anymore.

What the heck was Fleck supposed to say? They hired me because he was a lot fatter? Of course he said they wanted a change. He's all about culture. And the truth is, Tracy went down supporting players who were involved in an unsavory situation. But Fleck was stuck saying what he did. He couldn't say the truth, that he was hired because Claeys couldn't get fans to the stadium, recruit or that he as supporting players accused of rape.

Been a while since we have had the whole Kill/Claeys/Fleck/Coyle argument thread, thank goodness we can rehash all of that again for the 10,0000 time on this forum.

Kill was a father figure to many MN fans and they are still grieving over his absence from their empty lives.

Been a while since we have had the whole Kill/Claeys/Fleck/Coyle argument thread, thank goodness we can rehash all of that again for the 10,0000 time on this forum.

I never stated any of that.

What I asked is why people seem so fascinated by him that they feel the need to discuss him. Just seems strange that someone who has made the various public statements regarding the school and Fleck that he has would command such interest from certain segment of Gopher fandom.

Not sure if other fanbases would do the same with a former coach who has behaved in a similar manner towards his former school.

That is all.

Carry on.

It doesn’t feel to me that people do it any more so than they do it for Brew or Mason. Do you disagree?

I would argue there is a lot more discussion of Kill than either Brew or Mason. With that being said, I don't have time or energy to look up every thread regarding the three of them to find out if I'm right or wrong.

Kill/Claeys were our most recent coaches so it makes sense they are talked about more. With time they will fade away from discussion. I think the way things ended has made it more emotional (on both sides) so that has stoked the discussion too.

If the Gophers keep winning 10-15 games they will be forgotten even faster.

Kill/Claeys were our most recent coaches so it makes sense they are talked about more. With time they will fade away from discussion. I think the way things ended has made it more emotional (on both sides) so that has stoked the discussion too.

That's fair.

Yeah there's not a lot to talk about with say Brew.... I like following him but most folks all just have one feelling about that tenure, and Brew (to his credit) was nothing but gracious on his way out... so while folks might feel strongly about that era ... I think most folks don't dislike the dude on a personal level.

The whole TC situation, his firing... Coyle was/ maybe is a bit polarizing and eventually Jerry's comments. That all adds up to endless situations where folks who even agree talk past each other and argue.

The thing about Brew, he is not talked about much because EVERYONE knew he sucked...there were no sides and we've all basically agreed to forget about that low point in our Gopher football lives and move on.

Yeah there's not a lot to talk about with say Brew.... I like following him but most folks all just have one feelling about that tenure, and Brew (to his credit) was nothing but gracious on his way out... so while folks might feel strongly about that era ... I think most folks don't dislike the dude on a personal level.

The whole TC situation, his firing... Coyle was/ maybe is a bit polarizing and eventually Jerry's comments. That all adds up to endless situations where folks who even agree talk past each other and argue.
This. The topics that get the most discussions are ones that divide people, same with news stories. Not much to debate with Brew - bad coach, good guy. Mason is what he is. Kill and Clayes bring out different emotions in different people though.

Agree with your take, in addition I would add the following factors:

There is very little to talk about with Claeys, Brew and Mason so it is not surprising that they are not discussed all that much. Brew has been an assistant since he left here, Mason is on BTN, and Claeys has moved around some but since he never took another head coaching gig there was no real comparison between him and Fleck on that front. Can't evaluate how he has done as the head guy somewhere else because he never became a head guy somewhere else.

Kill since stepping down here has: (not listed in chronological order) returned to coaching, stepped down again for health reasons, become an AD, become a special assistant, took shots at the University and current head coach, changed jobs basically every year.....so it is not shocking that his name keeps popping up in this forum.

The unfortunate part is that every time it does the thread starts one way and quickly becomes a rehashing of the exact same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

The only thing that seems to be happening is the pedestal that some put Kill on while he was here keeps getting shorter and shorter as it has become clear that he wasn't exactly the person he pretended to be while the head coach here.

I do think positions like he has now are perfect for him though. He doesn't have to travel for recruiting and it's gotta be significantly less stressful.

Do we have to do this everytime he changes jobs?

Cliff notes:
  • Jerry was a good coach. I liked him when he was here.
  • Someone post the "Jerr' is just a ball coach line"
  • Someone else make a post about Claeys to start that whole argument on Claeys v. Coyle.
  • Someone say something about coaching up the kids
  • Someone say something about Kill not stepping away for the sake of his health
  • Someone illustrate how he was the key to getting athlete's village.
  • Someone say something about his recruiting
  • We all wish him good health and happiness

It's the same thing every time he moves.

Just using the great advice I got last month to cut and paste into the latest Jerry Kill discussion

Jerry was a good coach here. I liked him when he was here but feel bad the way he burned his MN bridges for no particular reason. Bad call on ripping Fleck and his family - that leaves a stain on Kill. But, Jerr is just a ball coach and it is in his blood. Who could have predicted the mess that was created after he departed and Claeys took over only to be fired by Coyle? Claeys was thought to be a guy that could coach up the kids, just like Kill, but his short tenure turned out to be controversial. Really these changes always have to be a consideration for kill, if for nothing else - just for the sake of his health. It is amazing how quickly people forget how instrumental Kill was to getting the athlete's village built. He had his strengths but his recruiting will always be a question mark. In the end, I think we all need to wish him good health and happiness.

Top Bottom