Jerry Gibson Commits, per Ryan Burns

On paper, meh. But I have to trust the coaches that another player with No BCS offers other than us is still worth taking...

Looks like Iowa offered. I feel like they play in a BCS conference, and have dominated us two seasons in a row.

We are going to love this kid in a couple of years at whatever position he ends up at playing for us. He'll be a player.

Looks like Iowa offered. I feel like they play in a BCS conference, and have dominated us two seasons in a row.

This should make the star gazers feel at least a little better about this commitment. Some coaches have an ability to identify raw talent. I trust these coaches have a feel for who will work hard and possesses the potential to develop into a top player. Welcome to the Univ of MN!

Nate Andrews was just another ho-hum 3 star Minnesota commit until FSU offered late. Now, he's a starting DB on the number 2 team in the country with two pick 6's to his credit. Outside of the top 5-10 teams, the clay the the next 11-40 get is largely the same. It's in how that clay is molded.

I really like that Kill and company are hitting the Deep South aggressively.

Don't know much about this kid, other than Rivals has his position listed as "Athlete," which usually means "to be determined." Rivals has his 40 time listed as 4.72. I'm guessing he's one of those guys who comes in and red-shirts with the position being determined by how much he bulks up. Could be LB or DE.

Nate Andrews was just another ho-hum 3 star Minnesota commit until FSU offered late. Now, he's a starting DB on the number 2 team in the country with two pick 6's to his credit. Outside of the top 5-10 teams, the clay the the next 11-40 get is largely the same. It's in how that clay is molded.

And the guy he visited with - was it James Walton? Later ended up with offers from Penn State and several SEC schools; prior to his MN visit, I think we were his biggest offer.

Wedley Estime (no idea how he's doing at VTech) was the same thing - identified really late in the recruiting process, committed to UMN (I believe), was then offered by VTech and changed his committment the same week.

Nate Godwin, also a Gopher de-commit, starting at safety for University of South Florida.

Man, that one hurt, could you imagine how he would have tore up the B1G this year? But oh well, Ive learned not to get to caught up in the offer list of these kids, Kill knows exactly what he is doing.

My favorite commit yet.
Awesome athlete, good academics, underrated because he's out of position, not because he can't play.
I'm hoping he's a LB, or DE, and he's gonna be really fun to watch develop.

Godwin and Andrews in the D-backfield would have been a boost for long term depth and performance level. The way Claeys schemes the defense, athleticism is key for the DBs.

One of my friends is an FSU rube. He said that from day 1 Andrews was maybe their best defensive back. Kill almost had him. This staff can identify talent. Has anyone watched this Lynch kid play QB?

Godwin just made a big pick. USF up 6 mins. To go.

I'm not really concerned about this kid's future position. He has a big frame and he's an athlete, he could end up just about anywhere. If he isn't able to add weight an maintain athleticism, I expect to see him at WR or LB. If he is able, he'll play TE or DE. I don't think the staff knows or particularly cares. They have a general idea and go from there. My guess is that they see Elmore as a TE (most likely), Lingen as a guy who will play TE but could grow into an OL and Gibson as an OLB and possible TE. At the end of the day, these guys appear to be 3 good football players who will help the program. We are fortunate enough not to have to worry about any position that is incredibly thin and we can recruit some guys who are just good athletes.

On a side note, Wedley Estime changed his name to Dadi Nicholas and he plays quite a bit for Va Tech. He is in their rotation of DEs and he will compete to start next season (his JR season).

On paper, meh. But I have to trust the coaches that another player with No BCS offers other than us is still worth taking...
I agree with what your saying on this. And and close to true is your statement is, technically ioweeeee is a BCS school and rivals shows them with a offer.

We're still not getting even close to elite players to commit, very frustrating! This is why today's game is so important, we need to be a New Year's Day bowl! Come on Goph's!!!

We're still not getting even close to elite players to commit, very frustrating! This is why today's game is so important, we need to be a New Year's Day bowl! Come on Goph's!!!

Hasn't been a secret that the success from this season won't really start paying dividends until the 2015 class. Still a good chance with Ragnow and Jones for this class too, as well as other good players. Kill and staff have proven they know how to evaluate talent.

So you think we're taking 3 tight ends in one class, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

LOL - It was a joke! I forgot though that you are a football expert. You proved that when you came after me earlier when I was one of the first to say that coach Kill was the real thing, i.e he knew how to recruit, he knew how to manage a staff, he knew how to establish discipline with his players, he knew how to change a culture, he knew how to develop a program, he knew how to win etc. etc. etc It is good thing all those comments you had about kill were not coming out your ass.

Not sure what your definition of elite players is but we have three players out of 10 who have very good to great offers. If those are not elite players to you, then I hate to burst your bubble, but we will never have a squad full of "elite" players.

Not sure what your definition of elite players is but we have three players out of 10 who have very good to great offers. If those are not elite players to you, then I hate to burst your bubble, but we will never have a squad full of "elite" players.

I would argue 4:

Elmore (MSU, Nebraska, Becky)
Jones (Mizzou, Iowa, MSU, Becky)
Mayes (Oklahoma, Baylor, A&M, Kansas St.)
McKinzy (Iowa, Nebraska)

Although I'm sure there are a significant number of Gopher "fans" unwilling to give Kill any credit for Mayes ("only coming here because of his brother") which of course totally ignores the fact that Alex Mayes committed very early and the Gophers still had to beat out several offers from equal or better programs than Minnesota. And regardless of situation, beating out Oklahoma for any Texas recruit is nothing to sneeze at.

Kafo and Gibson also list pretty good offers, but based on what I've read around the 'webz, I don't believe those offers are (or maybe ever were) legitimate.

I'm not really concerned about this kid's future position. He has a big frame and he's an athlete, he could end up just about anywhere. If he isn't able to add weight an maintain athleticism, I expect to see him at WR or LB. If he is able, he'll play TE or DE. I don't think the staff knows or particularly cares. They have a general idea and go from there. My guess is that they see Elmore as a TE (most likely), Lingen as a guy who will play TE but could grow into an OL and Gibson as an OLB and possible TE. At the end of the day, these guys appear to be 3 good football players who will help the program. We are fortunate enough not to have to worry about any position that is incredibly thin and we can recruit some guys who are just good athletes.

On a side note, Wedley Estime changed his name to Dadi Nicholas and he plays quite a bit for Va Tech. He is in their rotation of DEs and he will compete to start next season (his JR season).

On another side note, even less heralded recruit Luther Maddy, who was a teammate of Estime in h.s. also was signed by VT and has been a solid starting DT for them. If you want to bash a kid base it on his tape. I know we aren't experts by any means, but I think it's obvious from this kid's tape that he is talented and if you toss in a couple offers from random AQ schools the same people would be happy with the verbal.

Top Bottom