Jeff Goodman on Pitino and Miles: Each had a really tough gig in BT, and now look at each spot. Those guys did as much as they could at those spots.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Geoff:

Tuesday night, the two meet for the third time as Mountain West coaches in the Pit and each have this proud claim to fame: they have led two of the most impressive turnarounds in all of college basketball in the past season and a half — the Lobos back onto a national stage after finishing that 2021 season ranked No. 303 in the NCAA NET rankings and 294th in KenPom.com while the Spartans finished ranked 333rd in both the NET and KenPom.

Tuesday, both teams, thanks in part to immediately-eligible transfers neither coach seemed to like while on that podcast, sit at 3-2 in Mountain West play. SJSU is 12-6 overall and UNM is 16-2. They have made the largest and second largest leaps of all 363 Division I teams in the NET and KenPom since Miles and Pitino took over the two previously downtrodden programs.

UNM has jumped 267 spots in the NET (to 36 on Monday) since the end of the 2021 season and a 234-spot jump in KenPom (to 60). San Jose State has jumped 212 spots in the NET (to 121) and 200 spots in KenPom (to 133).

And both have garnered national attention.

“Each had a really tough gig in (the Big Ten), and now look at each spot,” said Jeff Goodman, national college basketball analyst for Stadium and one of the co-founders of the Field of 68 Media Network, which was home to Miles’ podcast. “Those guys did as much as they could at those spots.

“It’s great to see both of them having success now in the Mountain West. Richard has done far more than I imagined. I thought it would be tough for him because he had no real experience on the West coast and San Jose is one of the toughest jobs in the country. Those guys have been phenomenal so far and both are high-character coaches who don’t take themselves too seriously.”

Go Gophers!!

Look at Indiana post-Bobby-Knight...

High character & don't take themselves too seriously...translates to they under-achieved.

To win big at Minnesota, you have to challenge the administration head-on.
What has obj done to win and challenge the administration head on?

What has obj done to win and challenge the administration head on?
Nothing yet. But if he becomes successful, we should defend him when they try to throw him under the bus.

...and not accept little pot-shots like suspending players for oh, just 3 games or crap like that. Just watch...

They gave Maturi a $600K bonus to stay on for 6 months as a consultant...but it was really his reward for booting out White & Mbakwe.

When Coyle faces this dilemma...we need to support him.

If everyone on here is happy about sabotaging our team...like we were with Haskins, White & Mbakwe, and Lynch...then it will happen again for sure.

But don't be distracted. They will try to fool us. Don't get tricked into defending a losing situation like Kill/Claeys.

I think Tim got a raw deal in Lincoln but Pitino had plenty of time here. We have a good base of local talent a state of art practice facility. The right hire can win at Minnesota
We hired Pitino when he was too young and green. By the time he learned about who he could and could not recruit to Minnesota, it was too late. He lost his momentum- took some gambles and lost.
He will be a pretty good coach in a different setting.

They gave Maturi a $600K bonus to stay on for 6 months as a consultant...but it was really his reward for booting out White & Mbakwe.

When Coyle faces this dilemma...we need to support him.
We should hang the 2009-2010 NCAA Championship banner! Take that NCAA and U Admin! :rolleyes:

If everyone on here is happy about sabotaging our team...like we were with Haskins, White & Mbakwe, and Lynch...then it will happen again for sure.
Mbakwe was convicted of sexual assault and then violated his probation by harassing another woman - how much more could we have done?

High character & don't take themselves too seriously...translates to they under-achieved.

To win big at Minnesota, you have to challenge the administration head-on.
Isn’t this the exact definition of CBJ?

Just reading the blurb that was pasted, but if I'm following, two coaches who were overmatched in the Big Ten are doing better in a much weaker Mountain West, and the author's conclusion is that somehow that proves you can't win at Nerbaska or Minnesota?

Just reading the blurb that was pasted, but if I'm following, two coaches who were overmatched in the Big Ten are doing better in a much weaker Mountain West, and the author's conclusion is that somehow that proves you can't win at Nerbaska or Minnesota?
You forgot to started with “They are heck of guys though…”before you say they were overmatched

Translation: both are decent coaches. It takes more than a decent coach to make the move from the bottom half of the Big Ten to the top half. It can be done with a great coach. Is Ben that guy? He's a rookie and a solid guy who appears to be a good recruiter. Time will tell, but the odds on a rookie coach getting it done here are long.

Reactions: sal

Miles won more at Nebraska than anyone over the last 40 years. Yeah I don’t think you can win consistently at Nebraska. Minnesota is a tough job too. It will need to be built like Wisconsin imo (Developmental with 3-4 year guys who don’t necessarily become NBA guys). Mountain West is good basketball with good coaching and winning there is nothing to diminish.

Translation: both are decent coaches. It takes more than a decent coach to make the move from the bottom half of the Big Ten to the top half. It can be done with a great coach. Is Ben that guy? He's a rookie and a solid guy who appears to be a good recruiter. Time will tell, but the odds on a rookie coach getting it done here are long.
I’d say the odds on any coach doing it at bottom tier program are low. It’s hard the crack the likes of Piekell, McCaffery, Underwood, let alone Gard, Painter, Izzo, and Holtmann. Look at programs like Indiana and Nebraska that throw tons of money at it and they still don’t.

I’d also add that every coach that has left MN the last 30 years has won more at their next job. (Clem is the outlier, but that was a little different circumstances).

I’d say the odds on any coach doing it at bottom tier program are low. It’s hard the crack the likes of Piekell, McCaffery, Underwood, let alone Gard, Painter, Izzo, and Holtmann. Look at programs like Indiana and Nebraska that throw tons of money at it and they still don’t.
Piekell did it. Bo Ryan did it. It takes a great coach.

Piekell did it. Bo Ryan did it. It takes a great coach.
Don’t disagree, but the odds of finding that one is really hard was my main point. Piekell is on his way to doing it. Not sure I’d crown him yet, but he’s dang close. Love the work he’s doing at Rutgers and how far he’s brought them.

Mbakwe was convicted of sexual assault and then violated his probation by harassing another woman - how much more could we have done?
I think you’re flip flopping him and lynch

Wasn’t mbakwe a DUI?

Mbakwe was accused of felony assault charge, I don’t think he was convicted? And was it sexual in nature?

It’s kind of interesting to know he is a high school basketball coach now with that record.

Top Bottom