Jeff George Jr >>>> Mitch

That response doesn't cut it.

That has more to do with the success of the Badgers don't you think? Maybe the chance of handing the ball off in 9-10 wins a year, maybe a Rose Bowl and being the toast of the town is a far more appealing than handing it off in 5-6 losses a year and a minor bowl game. That's while being at best, on the 3rd-4th option in town.

And yes, even then the Badgers don't get many big time H.S. throwers, but they have a better selection to pick from.

They haven't been able to get a real sought after passing H.S. QB, one that had 5-10 D-1 offers in over 20 years! That's with Mason, Brewster, Kill and Claeys at the helm. Heck, maybe the last great H.S. QB we got here was because he was Wacker's nephew. And Mason and his first year O.C. tried to make an option QB out of him!

Of course it has something to do with their success, but that wasn't your question.

I don't think you are out of your mind, but what puzzles me (not about you, but about the Gophers) is how a team like Northwestern can put a set of relatively lightly recruited receivers on the field and have them running open all over the place. Maybe that starts with having an offensive line that can give Thorson some time to find the guys or maybe it's something else. Whatever it is, I just find it difficult to believe that we can never spring someone open down the field.

I think part of the reason our WRs always look covered is because Mitch forces the ball to his primary WR. Then if its 3rd down there is a 65% chance he is going to throw the ball to Woli no matter what. I mean when was the last time you saw Mitch go through his progressions and hit his 2nd or 3rd option? Our WRs are bad, but the WRs IL were running out there after their #1 WR got hurt were probably the worst I've seen. Another thing that hurts our WRs is that sometimes even if the pass is complete Mitch throws it in such a way that the WR can't get any YAC. I wonder how much YAC we've lost this year. On the other hand, our WRs also tend to drop catchable balls.

7 Natty's I'd take all the QBs you just mentioned, plus Hills from MD, maybe the kid from IN. So there's 8 in the Big 10 alone. It just frustrates me watching this team and thinking what they could do with better QB play. Kind of like watching the Vikings when they had AP for all those years and they just couldn't get good QB play.

Mitch isn't great.
Many QBs are better.
Some aren't.
Moving on - nothing new to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch isn't great.
Many QBs are better.
Some aren't.
Moving on - nothing new to see here.

Agreed. I am really looking forward to next year's qb position battle. Should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think part of the reason our WRs always look covered is because Mitch forces the ball to his primary WR. Then if its 3rd down there is a 65% chance he is going to throw the ball to Woli no matter what. I mean when was the last time you saw Mitch go through his progressions and hit his 2nd or 3rd option? Our WRs are bad, but the WRs IL were running out there after their #1 WR got hurt were probably the worst I've seen. Another thing that hurts our WRs is that sometimes even if the pass is complete Mitch throws it in such a way that the WR can't get any YAC. I wonder how much YAC we've lost this year. On the other hand, our WRs also tend to drop catchable balls.

7 Natty's I'd take all the QBs you just mentioned, plus Hills from MD, maybe the kid from IN. So there's 8 in the Big 10 alone. It just frustrates me watching this team and thinking what they could do with better QB play. Kind of like watching the Vikings when they had AP for all those years and they just couldn't get good QB play.

That could be, but when he was throwing to Maxx, Maxx always seemed to get open to a greater degree than the guys we have right now.

I'm surprised they don't use target him at least once a game like they used to do with Mike Henry out of the backfield.

There are few more exciting sights than Beebe thundering out of a wheel and rumbling down and taking out a defensive back. I've jumped out of my chair both times this season. I'd like to see it a little more.

The Mitch apologists kept telling us he was going to have a really good senior season. The reality is he has flatlined at best, and probably regressed. And I don't care if his numbers are better this season, our competition has been historically bad.

I thought the point of this thread was that George is way better than Leidner? But then he ended up having a much worse game.

Once again someone is having a hard time understanding that just because many disagree with your takes doesn't mean they think Leidner is a great QB. Yeah I thought he would be better at this point and it is disappointing. But that doesn't mean he's the worst QB in the conference.

Very disappointing...Leidner improved 8% in completion percentage from Soph to Junior year and is negative 1+% from Junior to Senior year with the toughest games yet to come. We were hearing in the off-season that he was a possible NFL draft pick and all that. At this point the only way we can judge him is if he makes the clutch throws when the game is on the line. His legacy is still up in the air!

Jeff George Jr is a redshirt freshman making his 2nd career start. He was 3rd string a few weeks ago. It's not really shocking that he wouldn't play a perfect game, but it's obvious he has some tools. Like a strong arm and accuracy.

Mitch just isn't very good at this thing called the forward pass. It's fine for today, we won because we have 2 stud running backs, but 10-19 for 112 yards won't get it done against a good team.

And any time George had pressure in his face he caved and threw the ball no where near a receiver. He's not tough enough to cut it in the B10. He's even more of a little bitch than daddy was. That leads to a sub 50% completion rate today.

Jeff George Jr is a redshirt freshman making his 2nd career start. He was 3rd string a few weeks ago. It's not really shocking that he wouldn't play a perfect game, but it's obvious he has some tools. Like a strong arm and accuracy.

Mitch just isn't very good at this thing called the forward pass. It's fine for today, we won because we have 2 stud running backs, but 10-19 for 112 yards won't get it done against a good team.
Go ahead and look up his numbers against "good" teams...Mizzou, OSU, Iowa, Michigan, etc. He was crap against TCU in 2014. Other than that?

Jeff George Jr >>>> Mitch

That response doesn't cut it.

That has more to do with the success of the Badgers don't you think? Maybe the chance of handing the ball off in 9-10 wins a year, maybe a Rose Bowl and being the toast of the town is a far more appealing than handing it off in 5-6 losses a year and a minor bowl game. That's while being at best, on the 3rd-4th option in town.

And yes, even then the Badgers don't get many big time H.S. throwers, but they have a better selection to pick from.

They haven't been able to get a real sought after passing H.S. QB, one that had 5-10 D-1 offers in over 20 years! That's with Mason, Brewster, Kill and Claeys at the helm. Heck, maybe the last great H.S. QB we got here was because he was Wacker's nephew. And Mason and his first year O.C. tried to make an option QB out of him!

Hornibrook originally comitted to Pitt and then Chryst got him to move to Wisconsin when Chryst took the job. So you should be comparing Minnesota to Pitt in regards to signing high school QBs.

Becky is a running team and they have a true freshman that is a better passer than Mitch.
Love how people ignore the fact that Mitch was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Not many QBs are going to perform well with zero time in the pocket. Also, how many balls did Still drop, again?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Love how people ignore the fact that Mitch was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Not many QBs are going to perform well with zero time in the pocket.

Bingo. He has proven when given time to throw he is pretty good. We need our Oline to play much better.

You've obviously never tried to throw against a 25 mph wind in a game.

True, but wasn't George throwing against the same wind? George clearly had much better zip on the ball. His arm strength was impressive. He wasn't terribly more accurate than Mitch, which could be due to offensive line, mediocre receivers, or wind. George looks like a much better prospect to me...

JGjr may up better than ML7. He sure as hell wasn't yesterday. They were both bad, but JGjr was worse.

JGjr may up better than ML7. He sure as hell wasn't yesterday. They were both bad, but JGjr was worse.

Correction:. It's JGjr3.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Love how people ignore the fact that Mitch was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Not many QBs are going to perform well with zero time in the pocket. Also, how many balls did Still drop, again?

If Still brings in the long pass that he dropped (it would have been a great catch but he had it in his hands), Brian Smith actually holds on to the 2 passes he flat out dropped and add to it the pass interference penalty that negated one of Mitch's passes and went down as a penalty, then his statistics would show him with a 75% completion ratio and well over 200 yards passing. He did have a couple of bad throws yesterday but so does every quarterback.

One of the problems yesterday was that we scored 24 points off of turnovers (including the last one on downs) on a short field. I think Mich would have been better served, rather then handing the ball off and running for short touchdowns, to run back towards the other end zone and take knee. Then he could have had some more longer drives and our fan base would be happier with inflated statistics :).

True, but wasn't George throwing against the same wind? George clearly had much better zip on the ball. His arm strength was impressive. He wasn't terribly more accurate than Mitch, which could be due to offensive line, mediocre receivers, or wind. George looks like a much better prospect to me...

This sums up nicely what I was trying to point out.

There are few more exciting sights than Beebe thundering out of a wheel and rumbling down and taking out a defensive back. I've jumped out of my chair both times this season. I'd like to see it a little more.

Agree, would be nice to see him with 2-3 catches per game.

If Still brings in the long pass that he dropped (it would have been a great catch but he had it in his hands), Brian Smith actually holds on to the 2 passes he flat out dropped and add to it the pass interference penalty that negated one of Mitch's passes and went down as a penalty, then his statistics would show him with a 75% completion ratio and well over 200 yards passing. He did have a couple of bad throws yesterday but so does every quarterback.

One of the problems yesterday was that we scored 24 points off of turnovers (including the last one on downs) on a short field. I think Mich would have been better served, rather then handing the ball off and running for short touchdowns, to run back towards the other end zone and take knee. Then he could have had some more longer drives and our fan base would be happier with inflated statistics :).

This seems to be a thing. Those turnovers gave us extra possessions and we have to look at our other 110-11 possessions. I think the point being made is can we drive the length of the field regularly and still score the 24-30 points we will likely need to defeat better teams.

I've largely been a Mitch apologist for the past 2 years. But I am sick of defending the indefensible. He's a 5th year redshirt senior, a 4 year starter and was viewed as a potential NFL draft pick. Step up and make a bleeping throw. He's done little to elevate the offense. His play is more of what would be expected from an underclassman starting for the first time. Prove me wrong against Nebraska and Wisconsin and I'll come eat my large bowl of crow.

Top Bottom