Jeff George Jr >>>> Mitch

So what is your assessment of George's second half play? Final stats 16/34 for 156 yards and 1 TD.

it means the Gophers made adjustments at halftime. Wow, that'll piss Some Day Is Coming off! ;)

The Illini QB completes 80% of his passes in the 1st half and knows how to put zip on the ball. Mitch? Our staff doesn't trust him at all and for good reason. He is still terribly inaccurate. And don't tell me that Illinois has a better o-line or wide receivers.

Props to wait?what? - he has been spot on regarding Mitch.

Pardon me for saying so, but you're a real dumba$$.

Just curious, who should Claeys be playing at QB then?

Right. I'm not going to pretend that Leidner or the offense were good today. Our WRs don't get separation, and there's not a better QB on roster. Don't need 2 or 3 new b**ch about Leidner threads every week. It is what it is and nothings changing this season.

Jeff George Jr is a redshirt freshman making his 2nd career start. He was 3rd string a few weeks ago. It's not really shocking that he wouldn't play a perfect game, but it's obvious he has some tools. Like a strong arm and accuracy.

Mitch just isn't very good at this thing called the forward pass. It's fine for today, we won because we have 2 stud running backs, but 10-19 for 112 yards won't get it done against a good team.

If I said Mitch was accurate after going 16/34 you'd have field day. Enjoy the win and put the bottle down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff George Jr is a redshirt freshman making his 2nd career start. He was 3rd string a few weeks ago. It's not really shocking that he wouldn't play a perfect game, but it's obvious he has some tools. Like a strong arm and accuracy.

Mitch just isn't very good at this thing called the forward pass. It's fine for today, we won because we have 2 stud running backs, but 10-19 for 112 yards won't get it done against a good team.

So by ">>>>>>" you meant that you thought he was a better prospect and would some day be better?

10-19 for 112 yards won't get it done against a good team. Jeff George Jr's line didn't get it done against a very average team, at home.

We all know that Mitch isn't very good. I think most of us just don't think there is a better alternative on our team (which is unfortunate). I'm glad your post tipped your cap to Wait!What? because it is really telling. People don't mock Wait!What? because they think Mitch is good, they mock him because he trolls the site and makes outlandish statements. So yeah, you should give him credit, you did the exact same thing today.

If you think the vast majority of FBS QBs are superior to Mitch, you are out of your mind.

I must be out of my mind then. Because I think if you paired a vast majority of FBS QBs with our running game they would outperform Mitch. The Gophers hardly ever throw in the Redzone or on 3rd and short because they don't seem to trust Mitch to make the the throw or the right read. There are two Mitch's; bad Mitch and Above Average Mitch. If Above Average Mitch shows up to games we have a shot at beating just about anyone because of our run game and defense (when everyone is available). If bad Mitch shows up, well then we need win with the run game and defense. Today bad Mitch showed up and we blew out IL. Mainly thanks to turnovers and a solid defensive performance. Mitch seems like a good kid, he works hard and is a leader. I wanted him to take a step forward this year and perform well. He hasn't taken that step forward. I'm hoping he's saving his best two games of the year for Nebraska and Wisconsin.

George may well be more accurate than Leidner, but I wouldn't call him accurate. He was throwing the ball all over the place and his receivers were more open than our guys were.

I must be out of my mind then. Because I think if you paired a vast majority of FBS QBs with our running game they would outperform Mitch. The Gophers hardly ever throw in the Redzone or on 3rd and short because they don't seem to trust Mitch to make the the throw or the right read. There are two Mitch's; bad Mitch and Above Average Mitch. If Above Average Mitch shows up to games we have a shot at beating just about anyone because of our run game and defense (when everyone is available). If bad Mitch shows up, well then we need win with the run game and defense. Today bad Mitch showed up and we blew out IL. Mainly thanks to turnovers and a solid defensive performance. Mitch seems like a good kid, he works hard and is a leader. I wanted him to take a step forward this year and perform well. He hasn't taken that step forward. I'm hoping he's saving his best two games of the year for Nebraska and Wisconsin.
Terrible offensive line and receivers would not make most other college QBs look good. I think our receivers might be close to the worst in the country.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

I would take Speight, Barrett, McSorley, Thorson, possibly Lunt Armstrong and Beathard out of all B1G QBs over Mitch. Anybody else would be a definite downgrade.

Jeff George Jr is a redshirt freshman making his 2nd career start. He was 3rd string a few weeks ago

So he couldn't even crack the top two on a terrible Illinois team until a few weeks ago?

So by ">>>>>>" you meant that you thought he was a better prospect and would some day be better?

10-19 for 112 yards won't get it done against a good team. Jeff George Jr's line didn't get it done against a very average team, at home.

We all know that Mitch isn't very good. I think most of us just don't think there is a better alternative on our team (which is unfortunate). I'm glad your post tipped your cap to Wait!What? because it is really telling. People don't mock Wait!What? because they think Mitch is good, they mock him because he trolls the site and makes outlandish statements. So yeah, you should give him credit, you did the exact same thing today.

The Mitch apologists kept telling us he was going to have a really good senior season. The reality is he has flatlined at best, and probably regressed. And I don't care if his numbers are better this season, our competition has been historically bad.

Go find a QB so next year at this time we aren't missing Mitch.

Question is what H.S. QB who can really throw it, is gonna want to go to a school where they mainly want him to turn around and hand the ball off?

Question is what H.S. QB who can really throw it, is gonna want to go to a school where they mainly want him to turn around and hand the ball off?

Becky is a running team and they have a true freshman that is a better passer than Mitch.

I don't think you are out of your mind, but what puzzles me (not about you, but about the Gophers) is how a team like Northwestern can put a set of relatively lightly recruited receivers on the field and have them running open all over the place. Maybe that starts with having an offensive line that can give Thorson some time to find the guys or maybe it's something else. Whatever it is, I just find it difficult to believe that we can never spring someone open down the field.

Becky is a running team and they have a true freshman that is a better passer than Mitch.

That response doesn't cut it.

That has more to do with the success of the Badgers don't you think? Maybe the chance of handing the ball off in 9-10 wins a year, maybe a Rose Bowl and being the toast of the town is a far more appealing than handing it off in 5-6 losses a year and a minor bowl game. That's while being at best, on the 3rd-4th option in town.

And yes, even then the Badgers don't get many big time H.S. throwers, but they have a better selection to pick from.

They haven't been able to get a real sought after passing H.S. QB, one that had 5-10 D-1 offers in over 20 years! That's with Mason, Brewster, Kill and Claeys at the helm. Heck, maybe the last great H.S. QB we got here was because he was Wacker's nephew. And Mason and his first year O.C. tried to make an option QB out of him!

And whoever thinks Tommy Armstrong, Jr., is a slam dunk over Leidner may want to re-think that stance. Great athlete with a buckshot arm.

Houston and Hollibrook have stats that are relatively equal.

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Alex Hornibrook 65 115 877 56.5 7.63 5 6 124.5
Bart Houston 48 77 586 62.3 7.61 3 2 133.9

And whoever thinks Tommy Armstrong, Jr., is a slam dunk over Leidner may want to re-think that stance. Great athlete with a buckshot arm.

Didn't call Armstrong a slam dunk over Mitch. I think that he, Beathard, Lunt, and Mitch are all close together. It would be tough to pick an order among those four.

I think the thing with Wisconsin is that even though they've been a running team, they've always had good TEs (Daniels, Beckham, Graham, etc.) who get open and a WR who seems to always get open in one-on-one coverage (Toon, Abbrederis, Erickson, etc.). Now a lot of those guys weren't highly recruited, but even in a straight-ahead running offense, the Badgers seem to be able to get guys open down the field. Part of that is the need for the defense to put an extra guy inside to concentrate on the running game, but it still boggles my mind that we can't seem to get our receivers open by more than a step (if that). The scheme has to be part of that.

Top Bottom