Jeff Brohm's Values - (also he's leaving Purdue for Louisville ... maybe)

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I believe in at least trying to do the right thing and having morals and values.

That's a strong statement there! The man is a moral rock! Or at least tries to be ...

But he is also thinking that anything can happen at anytime as far as leaving Purdue.

But, obviously, now we’re on year six. I love this town, this area. I’m an alumnus of Louisville. So anything can happen in the future.

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

That's a strong statement there! The man is a moral rock! Or at least tries to be ...

But he is also thinking that anything can happen at anytime as far as leaving Purdue.

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Kind of sounds like many recruits who are "110% committed" but they are going to take all their visits and keep an open mind.

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Very Glen Mason-like.

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

He loves W. Lafayette? LOL.

The moment Brohm has some decent success at Purdue and gets a better offer, he's outta there.

No different than James Franklin at Vanderbilt.

So he left wku after 3 years, but 2 years was too short a time to leave Purdue for Louisville?

Louisville is just another former Big East team that hasn't done s__t in the ACC.

So he left wku after 3 years, but 2 years was too short a time to leave Purdue for Louisville?
Yeah because he thought he was going to win big in year 3 and 4 get a bigger pay day (he did get a bigger pay day)

5 8+ win seasons and 6 bowl games in 7 non Covid years
and a heisman trophy
I was talking more like: no outright conf division titles, conf titles, CFP, or NY6 bowl games.

Lamar was indeed a great individual player, and did incredible things for them in 2016, including a 7-1 conf record, but not good enough because they lost head-to-head to Clemson, so they don't get the division title -- too bad, that's my definition and I won't change it.

The two years they finished ranked top 25, both under Bobby P, they lost their bowl games. 2018 was awful, and 2021 was not good.

They're fine. Just haven't done anything special, like every other Big East team that has transferred over to the ACC.

I was talking more like: no outright conf division titles, conf titles, CFP, or NY6 bowl games.

Lamar was indeed a great individual player, and did incredible things for them in 2016, including a 7-1 conf record, but not good enough because they lost head-to-head to Clemson, so they don't get the division title -- too bad, that's my definition and I won't change it.

The two years they finished ranked top 25, both under Bobby P, they lost their bowl games. 2018 was awful, and 2021 was not good.

They're fine. Just haven't done anything special, like every other Big East team that has transferred over to the ACC.
Virginia tech has 4 ACC football titles. Pitt literally won the ACC this year? Since the 2004 expansion that added a championship game 11/34 ACC title game appearances have been from former big east teams (32%)

Not saying anyone has done anything special. But I don’t get your hate on the former big east.

I just find it amusing that these schools that did very well in the Big East, killed the Big East to join the ACC and then have mostly not done crap since.

You're right on Pitt, last season was their best since the golden era of the 70's early 80's. Ended up ranked #13 AP. Lost NY6 bowl.

You're right that VT, still under Beamer for a lot of their ACC lives, was still pretty good in the 2000's. Pretty paltry since 2012 ... you know 11 seasons worth. That was what was in my mind. Forgot how long ago it has been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Miami_Hurricanes_football_seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virginia_Tech_Hokies_football_seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Panthers_football_seasons

Jeff Brohm deserves credit for his honesty -- and Purdue needs a plan​

Alex Hickey
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...edit-for-his-honesty-and-purdue-needs-a-plan/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...it+for+his+honesty+--+and+Purdue+needs+a+plan

Coaching, especially at the collegiate level, is a haven for telling half-truths … or less.
The king of college coaches, Nick Saban, has also shown himself to be an expert. Saban famously pronounced he wouldn’t be leaving the Miami Dolphins to coach at Alabama — until he did 12 days later.
So when a coach actually comes out and gives us some unvarnished truth, it deserves praise even if it makes some people uncomfortable.
And in the wake of comments Purdue coach Jeff Brohm recently made in his hometown of Louisville, there are 3 groups of people that should be very uncomfortable right now: Purdue administrators, Boilermakers fans and current Louisville coach Scott Satterfield.
Speaking to a group of alumni from his father’s high school, Brohm was asked about why he passed on the Louisville job the last time it came open. And it became clear those circumstances won’t be in play the next time it is vacant.
Per Rick Bozich of WDRB.com:
“After being at Purdue [only] 2 years when it came open, that was a tough call. Tough call.
To be quite honest, through my schooling and how I was raised, I believe in at least trying to do the right thing and having morals and values. It just was too early to leave. It just wasn’t right.
You build relationships. People treat you right. The people there have treated me great. You talk to recruits and they asked me things. Just a lot of things went into it.

But, obviously, now we’re on Year 6. I love this town, this area. I’m an alumnus of Louisville. So anything can happen in the future.”
Brohm’s message brings all the subtlety of the Thunder Over Louisville fireworks show. This is his hometown, and the Cardinals are his dream job.

This is no smokescreen​

It’s a tough pill to swallow for Purdue fans, who must now realize they are living on borrowed time. But surely they’ve been mentally prepared for the moment to come at some point. Brohm’s name has appeared on various coaching wish lists since the Boilermakers de-pantsed No. 2 Ohio State in 2018.
That said, this is a strange occurrence at Purdue, which has always been a destination job. The last time a Boilers coach left for another head coaching position was 1947, when Cecil Isbell was hired by the expansion Baltimore Colts. (Who knew? The Colts were rooted in Indiana from the start.)
Typically, we’d chalk up comments like these as more coach-speak. Just Brohm swinging significant leverage to bleed more money out of Purdue.
But that’s clearly not what’s happening here.
Purdue announced a new contract extension for Brohm on April 8. Nothing has happened over the course of the past 5 weeks for him to say “Yanno, let me up the ante.”
He loves being at Purdue. For now. And strictly for now.

At some point, if the circumstances allow it, Brohm is decamping West Lafayette for Louisville. That moment could very well be as soon as 2023.
The Boilers are very capable of winning what will be a wide-open Big Ten West.
Satterfield’s Louisville team, on the other hand, is very capable of not being good. The Cardinals are 10-14 over the past 2 seasons.
Even more disastrously, Satterfield interviewed for the South Carolina job after Louisville’s 4-7 season in 2020. Louisville fans don’t appear to have forgiven him. Games against Clemson and Kentucky were the only times Cardinal Stadium came within 10,000 of capacity in 2021.
Boilermakers fans need to prepare themselves to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. Purdue athletic director Mike Bobinski, on the other hand, needs to prepare for what’s next.

Purdue has the ability to plan ahead​

The value of Brohm’s honesty is that it puts Purdue in far better shape than most comparable situations. Just look at Oklahoma, which got the double-whammy of Lincoln Riley leaving unexpectedly and then raiding the roster to join him at Southern California.
Bobinski has the ability to create a shortlist of candidates. Whether he needs their help in a year or it takes another 4, a plan is paramount. Brohm may even have some ideas on who would be best suited to keep his offensive system humming. It’s pretty clear he wants what’s best for Purdue in the long run.
But this situation is reminiscent of an Alabama coaching legend that pre-dates Saban. When Bear Bryant left Texas A&M to return to his alma mater in 1958, his reasoning was thus: “Mama called. And when mama calls, you just have to come running.”
Brohm will be ready when mama calls. And thanks to his transparency, Purdue will be ready to make some calls of its own.

I just find it amusing that these schools that did very well in the Big East, killed the Big East to join the ACC and then have mostly not done crap since.

You're right on Pitt, last season was their best since the golden era of the 70's early 80's. Ended up ranked #13 AP. Lost NY6 bowl.

You're right that VT, still under Beamer for a lot of their ACC lives, was still pretty good in the 2000's. Pretty paltry since 2012 ... you know 11 seasons worth. That was what was in my mind. Forgot how long ago it has been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Miami_Hurricanes_football_seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virginia_Tech_Hokies_football_seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Panthers_football_seasons
Okay let’s arbitrarily start in 2010 instead of your 2012
Old big east has 2 of 12 titles (they are 6/14 teams)
Old big east has 6/24 appearances

Pitt, Virginia tech, and Miami has played in an ACC title game more recently than:
Florida state
North Carolina
North Carolina state
Georgia tech
Duke

So everyone in the old ACC except for Clemson, Virginia, and Wake Forest

Since 2016 6 ACC title games
4/12 spots by old big east teams
1/12 spots by Notre dame
7/12 spots by ACC

Since 2010 4 schools have won the ACC and two are from the old big east.

Since 2016 3 different old big east schools have played for the ACC title. 3 different original ACC schools have

Since the inception of the ACC title game:
4/6 big east additions have made the title game
7/8 original ACC members have

Only 3 schools haven’t made conference title game:
Louisville
Syracuse
North Carolina state

I don't think this ends anywhere besides Brohm getting fired in three or four years. Truth is he should have gone to Louisville after year two, last year was nice, but when Purdue loses to Minnesota and Wisconsin and some other random team like Illinois or Nebraska and one of their East cross overs, Even if they continue their trend of beating Iowa, pundits are going to view them as a disappointment and in a few years there fans will be sick of being stuck on 6-8 wins. Purdue has a qb who can sling it, couple of decent receivers left, but no ground game and a mediocre at best defense, no one in the West should be afraid of them

I don't think this ends anywhere besides Brohm getting fired in three or four years. Truth is he should have gone to Louisville after year two, last year was nice, but when Purdue loses to Minnesota and Wisconsin and some other random team like Illinois or Nebraska and one of their East cross overs, Even if they continue their trend of beating Iowa, pundits are going to view them as a disappointment and in a few years there fans will be sick of being stuck on 6-8 wins. Purdue has a qb who can sling it, couple of decent receivers left, but no ground game and a mediocre at best defense, no one in the West should be afraid of them
I don't like Brohm, but Purdue was an absolute disaster before he came around. I think he's pretty safe unless things take a really ugly turn in the near future.

I don't like Brohm, but Purdue was an absolute disaster before he came around. I think he's pretty safe unless things take a really ugly turn in the near future.
It was, but it was ugly here under Wacker, Guddy, Salem etc, but even with the success Glen had people were ready to move on after a decade and I just think that's what's going happen under Brohm, fans get sick of being stuck in the same spot, you tend to lose recruiting momentum as well

Yeah Purdue is better than they have been in a long time.

Not many options for them and Jeff is worth keeping around.

I do wonder if he isn’t doing himself recruiting favors with talk like this…

Top Bottom