JD Spielman News

Based on what I know about Rick Spielman and how he operates - if he had a chance to draft his own kid, but he had another player ranked higher on the "big board," he would take the other player over his own kid. And he could defend it by saying he took the higher-rated player.

In the NFL, sentiment goes out the door in a heartbeat.

I was just throwing the question out there as it seemed odd to me they didn't draft Johnson, but did choose a 2nd receiver, in the same round. The fact the younger hasn't joined the team it makes sense for him to join (again, more conjecture..), seemed to be another dot that might connect to that theory. This is a board where we discuss things such as this, right? Do you know that he does indeed like Fleck and his style? Didn't think so... yes I agree on the fact that it's a reach, but looking at the Miami receiver and looking at Johnson, the only reason to draft the Miami receiver was for Special Teams from what I've read. He would have been there later in the draft from all that I've read as well. Really though, it was the choice NOT to draft Tyler, not the choice to take the other guy. I felt we were lucky he was still available when we drafted in the 5th round. Tyler wasn't going to last past the 5th (again, more conjecture, isn't this fun?).

I have no clue why they didn't draft Tyler, nor do you. I do know that I was very unhappy on draft day with how things played out regarding Tyler and will hopefully not be even more miffed in the next few years by Spielman's choice. Time will tell!
I'm still struggling to understand this. The kid was from Minnesota so the Vikings should automatically draft him?? They didn't draft Winfield, either. Can you honestly say that they should have?

TJ was drafted at 161. The Vikings would have had to either pick him at 132 in the 4th round (way too high) or trade up out of 169. Even then, it's not like they took the Miami receiver (Osbourn) at 169. They took Osbourn at 176. Had Johnson still been there, then you'd have a legitimate argument.

And your statement about special teams may explain the whole thing. Maybe they were looking for someone more for special teams, which I hope we could all agree was not TJ. Also, from what I've read, Osbourn is a deep threat at WR, which TJ also isn't.

So yes, I can say I do know one reason why they didn't draft him - he wasn't there when they had appropriate picks.

I'm still struggling to understand this. The kid was from Minnesota so the Vikings should automatically draft him?? They didn't draft Winfield, either. Can you honestly say that they should have?

TJ was drafted at 161. The Vikings would have had to either pick him at 132 in the 4th round (way too high) or trade up out of 169. Even then, it's not like they took the Miami receiver (Osbourn) at 169. They took Osbourn at 176. Had Johnson still been there, then you'd have a legitimate argument.

And your statement about special teams may explain the whole thing. Maybe they were looking for someone more for special teams, which I hope we could all agree was not TJ. Also, from what I've read, Osbourn is a deep threat at WR, which TJ also isn't.

So yes, I can say I do know one reason why they didn't draft him - he wasn't there when they had appropriate picks.
I will say your last statement of 'knowing' one reason why they didn't draft him, is incorrect as the vikes traded their 'other' pick in the 5th round (#155) to the Bears for a 4rth rounder in 2021. They traded that pick right before it was to be made, so he was 'available' if they wanted him. Obviously the answer is; they flat out didn't want him - period! Really; that's ok...

I'm certainly not saying he needed to be drafted because he's a local boy and it would be a wonderful story and everyone would feel warm and fuzzy. I do realize the guy has a job to do and he 'should' be doing what's in the best interest of the team. I get that... what I will say is that you have just as much of an idea of his reasoning as I do, plain and simple.

Frankly this discussion is humorous. I was just throwing it out there to see what people thought... now I know. I hope the other guy is an amazing return man and a true deep threat.

It will be interesting to watch over the next few years to see who develops. Would be nice if they both did.

I will say your last statement of 'knowing' one reason why they didn't draft him, is incorrect as the vikes traded their 'other' pick in the 5th round (#155) to the Bears for a 4rth rounder in 2021. They traded that pick right before it was to be made, so he was 'available' if they wanted him. Obviously the answer is; they flat out didn't want him - period! Really; that's ok...

I'm certainly not saying he needed to be drafted because he's a local boy and it would be a wonderful story and everyone would feel warm and fuzzy. I do realize the guy has a job to do and he 'should' be doing what's in the best interest of the team. I get that... what I will say is that you have just as much of an idea of his reasoning as I do, plain and simple.

Frankly this discussion is humorous. I was just throwing it out there to see what people thought... now I know. I hope the other guy is an amazing return man and a true deep threat.

It will be interesting to watch over the next few years to see who develops. Would be nice if they both did.
I forgot they traded 155. I wouldn't say that means they didn't want Johnson, I'd say that means Trader Rick likes trading his picks more than using them. ;) It would be interesting to see where he had TJ on his board, assuming he did.

I didn't think the Vikes would end up with any Gophers, just based off needs and when they drafted and when players would go. TJ was probably the most likely, but I think they have enough slot type receivers. Would have been cool to have TJ and Thielen in the same formation.

I forgot they traded 155. I wouldn't say that means they didn't want Johnson, I'd say that means Trader Rick likes trading his picks more than using them. ;) It would be interesting to see where he had TJ on his board, assuming he did.

I didn't think the Vikes would end up with any Gophers, just based off needs and when they drafted and when players would go. TJ was probably the most likely, but I think they have enough slot type receivers. Would have been cool to have TJ and Thielen in the same formation.

We should all be happy for where TJ ended up. I dont think he could have landed in a better spot, and his head coach was super excited about the pick.

They picked up Leidner but that was a favor to Dick Ames.

Top Bottom