JD Spielman has taken a personal leave from the Nebraska football team

Nebraska's graduation date is right around the corner (May 9th) - is JD Spielman a free man after that date?
The vote on updating the transfer waiver guidelines takes place in May.

It's expected that the guidelines will be changed to say that any player in good standing who is asking for a transfer waiver (meaning, they don't have to sit out a year and can be immediately eligible) for the first time, gets it no questions asked, in all sports.

That would take effect immediately, for all transfers starting with the 2020-21 season year, which must start some time in the summer.

If that goes through, I suspect we'll hear at some point this summer that JDS is planning to transfer to the University of Minnesota, join the football team, and seek a transfer waiver.

We have one scholarship left (in the sense of 25 max new per class) for the 2020 class, since the one receiver recruit decided to grayshirt. Hmm, wonder why that happened ...

So we have a 50/50 chance with JD
ZCjDCtN.gif

It's expected that the guidelines will be changed to say that any player in good standing who is asking for a transfer waiver (meaning, they don't have to sit out a year and can be immediately eligible) for the first time, gets it no questions asked, in all sports.

That would take effect immediately, for all transfers starting with the 2020-21 season year, which must start some time in the summer.

If that goes through, I suspect we'll hear at some point this summer that JDS is planning to transfer to the University of Minnesota, join the football team, and seek a transfer waiver.

We have one scholarship left (in the sense of 25 max new per class) for the 2020 class, since the one receiver recruit decided to grayshirt. Hmm, wonder why that happened ...
Need to have one overall to give.

Probably just wants to be a Badger. Has too much red fan gear to come here.

Need to have one overall to give.
I actually counted that we were at 86, including Witham for his 6th year and only counting 24 in the class of 2020.

Somehow, some way, they will convince at least a couple guys that they need to transfer out this summer.

I think it will happen once the vote is taken in May, and guys can get that one time transfer without sitting.

Hope he is. There are not many offences that would help a receivers draft stock more than the Gophers...

Why would the rule change make any different to JDS? Are you thinking he won't graduate this year?

Why would the rule change make any different to JDS? Are you thinking he won't graduate this year?
Oh, I thought some people were saying he may not have enough credits to graduate.

If he graduates next month, then you're correct it wouldn't matter. But if that's the case, why hold off on announcing plans to transfer here for next season?

Oh, I thought some people were saying he may not have enough credits to graduate.

If he graduates next month, then you're correct it wouldn't matter. But if that's the case, why hold off on announcing plans to transfer here for next season?
If he can transfer anywhere and immediately play, then he can pick his landing spot. I'm guessing right now he has to focus on graduating, and once/if that happens, then he will start talking to teams.

Does he even need a scholarship? The family has cash.
For the record I think of this as a silly joke thread generally.

But as far as scholarship goes ... you don't get rich paying when you don't have to ;)

From the article...
Spielman has not graduated, and he also had an incomplete academic term for the spring semester of 2020. In order to play, he'll need a waiver to get immediate eligibility, since he's already used his redshirt in 2016. You also have to get a waiver from the NCAA if you don't complete an academic term.

From the article...
Spielman has not graduated, and he also had an incomplete academic term for the spring semester of 2020. In order to play, he'll need a waiver to get immediate eligibility, since he's already used his redshirt in 2016. You also have to get a waiver from the NCAA if you don't complete an academic term.
I wonder how close he is to completing the semester and if that would get him to graduation? I'm wondering if he can still turn stuff in for Spring semester or make other arrangements?

I'm guessing he believes he's either getting a waiver or completing the semester and graduating because I can't imagine he'd risk not playing next year. Otherwise there'd be no point in transferring, he'd be better off getting an agent to become ineligible so he could enter the supplemental draft. I think he has to do that sooner than later, so I doubt he'll get news on the waiver before that date.

I wonder how close he is to completing the semester and if that would get him to graduation? I'm wondering if he can still turn stuff in for Spring semester or make other arrangements?

I'm guessing he believes he's either getting a waiver or completing the semester and graduating because I can't imagine he'd risk not playing next year. Otherwise there'd be no point in transferring, he'd be better off getting an agent to become ineligible so he could enter the supplemental draft. I think he has to do that sooner than later, so I doubt he'll get news on the waiver before that date.
I tend to agree that to take this step he must be pretty confident he can get a waiver - unless there is something else going on in this situation that we simply aren't privy to.

Incomplete term is easy: he needed to come home to deal with stress and mental issues. Maybe throw in cv19, not sure if he was already home before that hit the fan.

Immediate eligibility from transferring, along the same lines. Plus for sure wants to be closer to home because of cv19.

Going to other schools than the U (or MN), would be harder to sell for the waivers.

Transferring down to the FCS would also be an option and the only one that would guarantee him eligibility assuming he doesn't graduate.

Transferring down to the FCS would also be an option and the only one that would guarantee him eligibility assuming he doesn't graduate.
Have we seen anyone drop to FCS in their last year ... who wasn't ... fighting some other type of issue like poor academic / qualifications type stuff?

If his target is the NFL, would going FCS really do much for him as opposed to just going to the draft?

It's not like he needs to prove that he's a really good WR....

Maybe he wants to up his draft ranking but I'm not sure FCS does that for him.

No way he transfers down to the FCS. If worst comes to worst, I think he would just workout/train with person trainers and who knows maybe even Vikings staff?? Then either hit the draft next year or then play his final year (assuming he can get a hardship waiver to extend his clock to six years).

Top Bottom