JD Spielman has taken a personal leave from the Nebraska football team

JD can certainly get immediate eligibility by using some family bullshit. "my mom coughed" and boom, he is cleared to play immediately. And paying his own way to school shouldn't be an issue. His dad makes A LOT of money. I'd say ~$2.5 mil. Guessing if his son wanted to transfer and play, but it would cost $30,000, he'd cut that check without having to make sure the funds are available.

Not sure why anyone questions him/his character. He is a talented played with no off the field issues (that we know about). Because he went to Nebraska we don't like him or ???? Did I miss something?

There's some church lady chat about JD being a diva or something in Neb land ... but what any of that means in reality WHO KNOWS.

Especially in the midwest where folks react negatively to anything that smells of being self congratulatory... even if it isn't. For all we know it is just based on his habit of vague tweets...

IMO there's about as much reliable information to his behavior as there is to the whole JD to MN rumors, that is to say 0.

Having said that the JD to MN stuff is fun to talk about ;)

I have to think he's up here at home, taking class online, and working out with a trainer somewhere. Not sure if he's allowed to utilize the Vikings facilities, with or without paying the team for that, I've read conflicting posts on here if I recall correctly. But regardless, he could work out anywhere, like the Lifetime dome in EP.

And the decision is between trying to transfer in and play for the Gophers in 2020, or going to the NFL supplemental draft.

Could he be signed as a FA, without any draft? There must be some deadline when he would have to declare himself a pro, right?

I have to think he's up here at home, taking class online, and working out with a trainer somewhere. Not sure if he's allowed to utilize the Vikings facilities, with or without paying the team for that, I've read conflicting posts on here if I recall correctly. But regardless, he could work out anywhere, like the Lifetime dome in EP.

And the decision is between trying to transfer in and play for the Gophers in 2020, or going to the NFL supplemental draft.

Could he be signed as a FA, without any draft? There must be some deadline when he would have to declare himself a pro, right?

I think you have to go "through" the draft to be signed... at all. I'm pretty sure you can't just "skip the draft" and sign directly. Granted if you're not drafted then you're in the clear to sign.

Although there is some complexity there as far as refusing to sign after being drafted, but that's not the situation here as that's still "through the draft" IMO.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ayers-pick-history/1hzuye9ag3v321c28ohd76e5ko

"
In July, the league may hold one supplemental draft for players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft. A player may not bypass the NFL Draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft.
When the NFL says "players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft," it means players who are not able to return for their final seasons of college, typically due to academic issues or suspension. To be eligible to enter the supplemental draft, a player must be at least three years removed from high school and entering his final year of college eligibility.

"

So if I'm reading it correctly, it could be on the table for him.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ayers-pick-history/1hzuye9ag3v321c28ohd76e5ko

"
In July, the league may hold one supplemental draft for players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft. A player may not bypass the NFL Draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft.
When the NFL says "players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft," it means players who are not able to return for their final seasons of college, typically due to academic issues or suspension. To be eligible to enter the supplemental draft, a player must be at least three years removed from high school and entering his final year of college eligibility.

"

So if I'm reading it correctly, it could be on the table for him.
Gonna have to get suspended ....

Maybe steal a laptop?

Crab Legs?

He is a diva because Nebraska fans are idiots. One of the worst fanbases in the big ten in terms of coming to grips with reality. They honestly truly believe they are Playoff contenders. Its sad.

What someone is saying on Husker Online about a month ago:

1 drshuckdo, Thursday at 7:40 PM, Feb. 7, 2020
Just spoke with a friend of mine whose son was a wide receiver at Minnesota. His son, who was slated to start this year transferred to another school. They graduated two all conference wide receivers, and according to my friend, another one will,be unavailable. Fleck was surprised at my friends son transfer, and tried to convince him to stay. He says that Fleck's reputation among other coaches leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. He thinks JD will be playing at Minnesota next year, getting a waiver because of his fathers connections. Another interesting fact is that Coach requires the team to clap loudly when he enters the room. If they aren't loud enough, he leaves and re enters. Wow, what an ego.
Is he talking about Harrison Van Dyne's dad? Harry Van Dyne is the only WR who transferred out.

Being a 2017 Class WR and being buried deep in the depth chart, I guess he doesn't want to stick around and compete against the current and incoming WRs. It is too bad, because I think he has potential with his length. More importantly, I think he has a legitimate shot of grabbing some playing time this season. He had one decent long yardage catch from Jacob Clark.

Guys that want to play in his position will transfer. Some kids are perfectly comfortable being Gophers playing or not. It sounds to me that his dad's stories have some inaccuracies. Two WRs graduating and another one will be unavailable? I thought both Gibson and Brooks are on medical retirements.

It sounds like JD needs timeout to figure things out. If you believe Husker Online, he is banged up physically and mentally. His mom has a lot to do with him coming home. Whether he plays for Nebraska or the Gophers or not at all, who knows. Time will tell.

Another possibility is taking a year off to heal.

I guess we'd have to wait until this Fall.

You can follow the rest of the discussion threads from Husker Online : https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/jd-gone-probable.263673/

Last edited:

Well, let’s see....there are only about a million reasons why but try this one: Coughlin, Winfield, Renner, TJ, Martin, Seth Green et al are high character leadership type people and Frost inherited a group of entitled whiners is one possibility.
Another is that Frost has been an I’m Scott Frost dick and PJ treated everybody with respect.

Take this: Nebraska recruits Stars, Minnesota recruits athletes.

Is he talking about Harrison Van Dyne's dad? Harry Van Dyne is the only WR who transferred out.

Being a 2017 Class WR and being buried deep in the depth chart, I guess he doesn't want to stick around and compete against the current and incoming WRs. It is too bad, because I think he has potential with his length. More importantly, I think he has a legitimate shot of grabbing some playing time this season. He had one decent long yardage catch from Jacob Clark.

Guys that want to play in his position will transfer. Some kids are perfectly comfortable being Gophers playing or not. It sounds to me that his dad's stories have some inaccuracies. Two WRs graduating and another one will be unavailable? I thought both Gibson and Brooks are on medical retirements.

It sounds like JD needs timeout to figure things out. If you believe Husker Online, he is banged up physically and mentally. His mom has a lot to do with him coming home. Whether he plays for Nebraska or the Gophers or not at all, who knows. Time will tell.

You can follow the rest of the discussion threads from Husker Online : https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/jd-gone-probable.263673/
Since Minnesota didn't graduate two all-conference receivers, Van Dyne was not slated to start, and Fleck is highly regarded in the coaching fraternity, this Husker is, well, a complete idiot. I can make up shiite too.

Since Minnesota didn't graduate two all-conference receivers, Van Dyne was not slated to start, and Fleck is highly regarded in the coaching fraternity, this Husker is, well, a complete idiot. I can make up shiite too.
For example, you could tell us how PJ is regarded in the coaching fraternity when you have absolutely no idea how he is regarded in the coaching fraternity.

I was gonna say ... we graduated two all-conf receivers??

For example, you could tell us how PJ is regarded in the coaching fraternity when you have absolutely no idea how he is regarded in the coaching fraternity.
Somebody said something nice about Fleck. Quick! Notify Spoofin to step in and set us all straight.

Somebody said something nice about Fleck. Quick! Notify Spoofin to step in and set us all straight.
Predictable from you. Change your best.

I didn’t try to set anyone straight. PJ may be loved more than anyone else in the history of time in coaching fraternity. I don’t know. You don’t know. Highwayman most certainly doesn’t know. Sorry that facts matter to me.

Just a matter of time until we get JD.
I'm sure he's listening to the Rouser from time to time. Too bad he can't stop over to the Village to check in to see how things are going.

Predictable from you. Change your best.

I didn’t try to set anyone straight. PJ may be loved more than anyone else in the history of time in coaching fraternity. I don’t know. You don’t know. Highwayman most certainly doesn’t know. Sorry that facts matter to me.
Facts have never mattered to you. And your assumption is wrong- there is no such thing as a coaching fraternity.

You can't block crap. That was the whole point of the transfer portal. To keep coaches from screwing over kids who decided they'd rather be elsewhere. It doesn't really look like we'd have a schollie for JD (as we're short already). So if he wants to play next year, he'd have to get a waiver for immediate eligibility and walk-on. Otherwise wait a year and play for us in the 2021 season.
We still have one scholarship to give for the 2020 class. He wouldn’t have to walk on.

Does this guy know that bartender in Bismarck too?

Welll, Hungan I clicked on your Husker link out of morbid curiosity and this popped up. Too funny. Which one of you posted that?

Weird,A dude on twitter private messaged me a few days ago and said JD was 100% coming back to Neb. Said his mom is best friends with JDs mom. Said he is going through depression and smoking a ton of weed. His mom drove down here and made him come home. Said he has zero intention of transferring to MN or anywhere. It was his moms choice to have him leave not his.
Bottom line during these type of situations everyone seems to know something. Truth is nobody knows for sure what is going to happen except probably JD. He might not even know 100%
If I had to guess, all signs the last 2 years point to him being a gopher next year. Lets hope my "source" is more right than your source.

Whether he would be coming to Minnesota or not ... why would he need a scholarship with all the money his Dad makes with the Vikings? Let him walk on and use the scholarship for someone who needs the financial assistance more.

Top Bottom