Jay Sawvel Hired as Wyoming Defensive Coordinator

Jerry Kill tree lives on... Good luck to you.

Glad he's back in coaching. Always thought he was a really great coach.

Good luck to Jay.

They were 8-5 last year. Beat Missouri and won their bowl game.
They also made it to the MW championship game a few years ago.

It’s a tough job because it’s just really hard to overcome Boise St and gain any traction in the division. Also not the easiest place to recruit to.

Yes, he might get to over .500 at UW by year 8.
When you look up "dumpster fire", you find Wyoming Football When Bohl Took Over. Or, Wyoming Basketball Now. Wyoming has a couple entries, unfortunately.
Bohl has done pretty good for UW.

Jerry Kill tree lives on... Good luck to you.

Not going to look them all up but would assume pretty much every assistant coach from Kill's time is coaching somewhere right now. The tree concept really only applies to guys that go on to be head coaches, at least as far as what I have seen.

I like Sawvel and he did a nice job with the secondary while he was here. Hopefully it works out well for him working with Bohl.

When you look up "dumpster fire", you find Wyoming Football When Bohl Took Over. Or, Wyoming Basketball Now. Wyoming has a couple entries, unfortunately.
Bohl has done pretty good for UW.
Bohl is running out of time if he wants a chance to take over a P5 program. He's 61 now. Crazy to think it has been 17 years since he took over NDSU in 2003.

It will be intresting how this plays out.

We know Jay can coach a secondary, and his one year as DC in MN IMO doesn't really tell us much ... same goes with his year at wake forest.

I like Jay Sawvel. He gave me a pork loin at a Gopher football event one time.

It will be intresting how this plays out.

We know Jay can coach a secondary, and his one year as DC in MN IMO doesn't really tell us much ... same goes with his year at wake forest.
All I can say is this: the clear example of what not to do is whatever Robb Smith did here, and at Arkansas, and will probably do again at Rutgers. My guess is that he made the scheme/system too complex mentally for the players, and they couldn't play fast enough because they were trying to hard to analyze things pre-snap. But that is only a guess.

All I can say is this: the clear example of what not to do is whatever Robb Smith did here, and at Arkansas, and will probably do again at Rutgers. My guess is that he made the scheme/system too complex mentally for the players, and they couldn't play fast enough because they were trying to hard to analyze things pre-snap. But that is only a guess.

I sometimes think the rise and fall of a coach isn't about Xs and Os, it's about figuring out "what can or can't I do with this guy" and not getting stubborn and Xing or Oing them into bad situations.

I think we saw some of that (the bad side) vs. Auburn by Gus and Co.... they just would NOT take the short passes we were giving them for free.

Yes, that has to be a huge part of it too. Being able to analyze the tendencies of the opposing coordinator, as well as to recognize what is actually happening right in front of your face, in a particular game.

Sawvel didn't get a fair shot at Wake Forest, he has a system that works, but wasn't given the time to implement it with his players. His immediate success at Wyoming will be dependent on how well the present players fit. My guess, thinking back to Bohl's NDSU teams, is that it should work out fine.

Sawvel did pretty damn good here. WF didn’t work out, but he deserves another chance. He is a great recruiter as well.

How much of his success was actually Claeys though? If by great recruiter you mean he did great at finding undervalued talents, I agree, I don’t know how many big recruiting battles the guy ever won though. I agree he deserves another chance, Wyoming under Bohl should be a DC friendly landing spot. Plus they have had good defenses for a while now.

Last edited:

I sometimes think the rise and fall of a coach isn't about Xs and Os, it's about figuring out "what can or can't I do with this guy" and not getting stubborn and Xing or Oing them into bad situations.

I think we saw some of that (the bad side) vs. Auburn by Gus and Co.... they just would NOT take the short passes we were giving them for free.

Off-topic, but I'm curious to see what this looks like for Coach Ciarocca next year at PSU. He never used the TEs in his offense (either at WMU or here), and they have Pat Freiermuth. Something's gotta give.

Off-topic, but I'm curious to see what this looks like for Coach Ciarocca next year at PSU. He never used the TEs in his offense (either at WMU or here), and they have Pat Freiermuth. Something's gotta give.
It's hard to imagine he really just doesn't want to as much as he just thinks he has had better options play to play to play.

Then again ... you're responding to my post about Gus & Co. not throwing the short passes that even the TV guys saw were there... so man who knows.

After the anthracite uniforms?
uK31708.jpg

Top Bottom