Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play

I am guessing pitino skipped meeting because he was pissed off he put all this effort into a kid who was cleared by his doctors and to have the U doctors say no we are not clearing him. Time,effort, hours , hurt feelings

Interesting. Sounds like a new set of doctors just might not be comfortable making a decision without more time, kind of sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's time for the U and Pitino to answer some questions. If the Strib article is correct, a tough week for the U just got tougher.

Sounds like the family taken by surprise by the decision, head coach not at the meeting make it looks even worse if this version is true. The University of Minnesota simply has an athletic department that seems to take one step forward and two steps backward at every turn.

This article says Jarvis is 'shocked' and is 'still processing' the situation...This article gives me the impression that the family is upset or put off by the U's decsion and Pitino's handling of the situation.

http://www.startribune.com/jarvis-johnson-surprised-by-gophers-decision-family-says/307718311/
The article certainly doesn't make the university look good at all. If nothing has changed with Jarvis and his doctors have cleared him it is tough for me to see why the university doctors wouldn't as well.

Honestly, the way the athletic department continously shoots itself in the foot is the biggest reason for our apathetic fan base and lack of athletic fundraising. I was hoping to make a contribution to the facilities by this fall but this sorta **** make me feel like "**** that I have better things to spend that money on."

Let's just remember who wrote that article.

I'm surprised she knew he was a 2015 recruit.

I sure hope there are so holes in that article. If not...shame on the U

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It's time for the U and Pitino to answer some questions. If the Strib article is correct, a tough week for the U just got tougher.

I think this would be a good time for the U to issue a statement or hold a press conference to clear the air.

True, who knows with the person that wrote the article might not even know who Richard pitino is

I had a bad feeling about this news right from the get-go.

I agree with GL.

I am guessing pitino skipped meeting because he was pissed off he put all this effort into a kid who was cleared by his doctors and to have the U doctors say no we are not clearing him. Time,effort, hours , hurt feelings

If it's true he should have been there to support Jarvis and his family. Word gets out to future recruits.

Why the heck would Pitino be upset? The athletic medical staff examines and clears every single recruit on entry to the University. This is the same place they found Sam Maresh's heart condition. Why would a coach be angry with the doctors? If they say the kid shouldn't play, then you have to trust their medical opinion. I don't know any better, nor does Pitino or any other coach. He can be upset things didn't work out, which we all agree sucks, but there is no reason to be upset with the U or the medical staff.

From pitinos point of view. He worked very hard to recruit him. This heart issue was known for a long time. The young man had been cleared by his doctors. If the Univerity would not clear the young man, Pitino would have never wasted so much time and money recruiting him. I understand that is the reason he got a full scholarship but it makes Pitino look pretty bad for no fault of his own. He is now short another player making it very difficult for him to field a competitive program. Again, the university should have made the decision about Jarvis before all the effort went into the process.

It seems to me that there could be a solution such as a special waver or some indemnification process to hold the university harmless, extra medical monitoring, etc. It is a very difficult decision especially when there is not any medical consensus but it seems the attorneys have taken control of the situation.

This athletic department is on the verge of a collapse and mutiny.
The fund raising debacle, the board of regents, the admissions department, attorneys, title IX, etc, there are strong head winds that will prevent this university from ever being competitive. I would not be surprised if Norwood, Pitino, and kill all leave as soon as another offer comes along. They have professional reputations that are too affected by circumstances outside of their control.

Honestly, the way the athletic department continously shoots itself in the foot is the biggest reason for our apathetic fan base and lack of athletic fundraising. I was hoping to make a contribution to the facilities by this fall but this sorta **** make me feel like "**** that I have better things to spend that money on."

Sounds more like the University shooting the Athletic Dept in the foot.

Sounds more like the University shooting the Athletic Dept in the foot.

I disagree completely. Sounds to me like a medical team giving a kid his mandatory physical found him unfit to play. Yes it's unfortunate and yes it sucks. But it's no grand conspiracy to ruin athletics. Whether he wants to or not, it may not be in the kid's best interest to continue his career. I hope he gets better and is able to if he wants to. But when a doctor tells you that it could kill you, one should listen.

I think all the crying around here is ridiculous. The coach is the one that seems to have a revolving door with all the players. I've never seen them move in and out of town so fast. The door is spinning so fast that some of the guys kicked off them team ride the door right back in. What the heck is going on? Jerry Kill and the football team appear to be the complete opposite. Stability is important, and Little Richard hasn't found any yet. That's what should be concerning us...

I disagree completely. Sounds to me like a medical team giving a kid his mandatory physical found him unfit to play. Yes it's unfortunate and yes it sucks. But it's no grand conspiracy to ruin athletics. Whether he wants to or not, it may not be in the kid's best interest to continue his career. I hope he gets better and is able to if he wants to. But when a doctor tells you that it could kill you, one should listen.

I think all the crying around here is ridiculous. The coach is the one that seems to have a revolving door with all the players. I've never seen them move in and out of town so fast. The door is spinning so fast that some of the guys kicked off them team ride the door right back in. What the heck is going on? Jerry Kill and the football team appear to be the complete opposite. Stability is important, and Little Richard hasn't found any yet. That's what should be concerning us...

If you take that stance, which is fine, than the most recent exit should not add to your concerns whatsoever.

sparlimb, There is not medical consensus on this. the kid has been playing summer ball at a very high level for years. This is an attorney driven" liability"event. The university is only interested in covering their asses not Jarvis Johnson. Don't be so nieve.

sparlimb, There is not medical consensus on this. the kid has been playing summer ball at a very high level for years. This is an attorney driven" liability"event. The university is only interested in covering their asses not Jarvis Johnson. Don't be so nieve.

Hank Gathers scored 48 points and had 13 rebounds against Shaq, Stanley Roberts and LSU less than two months after he collapsed the first time and one month before he collapsed for the last time.

An autopsy found that he suffered from a heart-muscle disorder, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Gathers' family later filed a $32.5-million lawsuit charging negligence. Loyola Marymount settled out of court for $1.4 million, while the cardiologist who treated Gathers settled for $1 million.

If there is "no medical consensus", how can you rip the U?

From pitinos point of view. He worked very hard to recruit him. This heart issue was known for a long time. The young man had been cleared by his doctors. If the Univerity would not clear the young man, Pitino would have never wasted so much time and money recruiting him. I understand that is the reason he got a full scholarship but it makes Pitino look pretty bad for no fault of his own. He is now short another player making it very difficult for him to field a competitive program. Again, the university should have made the decision about Jarvis before all the effort went into the process.

It seems to me that there could be a solution such as a special waver or some indemnification process to hold the university harmless, extra medical monitoring, etc. It is a very difficult decision especially when there is not any medical consensus but it seems the attorneys have taken control of the situation.

This athletic department is on the verge of a collapse and mutiny.
The fund raising debacle, the board of regents, the admissions department, attorneys, title IX, etc, there are strong head winds that will prevent this university from ever being competitive. I would not be surprised if Norwood, Pitino, and kill all leave as soon as another offer comes along. They have professional reputations that are too affected by circumstances outside of their control.

We aren't the only University that has to comply with Title IX. It applies to every school in the country.

Hank Gathers scored 48 points and had 13 rebounds against Shaq, Stanley Roberts and LSU less than two months after he collapsed the first time and one month before he collapsed for the last time.

An autopsy found that he suffered from a heart-muscle disorder, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Gathers' family later filed a $32.5-million lawsuit charging negligence. Loyola Marymount settled out of court for $1.4 million, while the cardiologist who treated Gathers settled for $1 million.

There are other legal remedies that can legally protect the U from a tragic event. Look folks, the kids Doctors cleared him to play. The university attorneys weighed the PR risk and did not clear him to play for "medical" reasons. Regarding title IX of course there has to be compliance, it seems as if the unnamed person may have a bone to pick against men and men's sports. She does not agree with the way Norwood and the AD department is in compliance. It will be nice to find out who this persecuted person is who filed the complaint,,,,,

If it's true he should have been there to support Jarvis and his family. Word gets out to future recruits.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. It sounds like it was a surprise to all parties. If the coaching staff assumes it will be good news, Pitino may have been out and he sent his top two assistance so for support. It looks bad after the fact when you know the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. It sounds like it was a surprise to all parties. If the coaching staff assumes it will be good news, Pitino may have been out and he sent his top two assistance so for support. It looks bad after the fact when you know the results. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doctors and athletic dept officials don't call a meeting with the young man and his family after a routine physical to deliver good news.

Just saw that. We don't know the whole story but this looks horrible.

This is pretty much what I figured since yesterday, despite the 'press release.' Clearly Johnson is livid. I'm guessing Pitino is too. Being a fan of this University and Athletic Department sucks. No matter what obstacles lie ahead, you can take comfort knowing they will make it worse.

Everyone understand there's risk. But it's also 2015, not 1989. If the U feels that strongly that he shouldn't play basketball, fine. But then they shouldn't have recruited him to play basketball. To say nothing of waiting until the last minute to tell him, oh by the way, you can't play.

That's it I'm switching my men's bb team to Bethoon Cookman. There's less BS and just as much winning. Remember when the U wasn't so pretentious.

Tweet from Jarvis' Mom from last night:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Jarvis:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Marcus' article:

“With everything that he’s been through, I truly believe that he will find a way to play basketball again,” Thorson said. “He just keeps fighting through adversity and never gives up.”

“God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers,” Johnson wrote Monday on his Instagram page. “I been through it all, this isn’t anything I can’t handle! Just wait on it…”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...rvis-johnsons-mother-glad-my-boy-is-a-gopher/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom