January visits

As I indicated in the other thread specific to this McDonald issue:

Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances which necessitate de-committing. That said, I come from the school of thought that once you ask someone to the prom, you quit looking around and stick with the one you asked first. If there are not compelling reasons for the de-commit, I hope Coach Kill tells him to get lost. If he has good justifications, then we'll welcome him with open arms to the family.

Go Gophers!

TCF=UnitedWeStand said:
Why do I have a feeling the McDonald saga will not end well for Gopher fans?

Because we lost another great MN WR recruit in Floyd. We are used to that. Hope he stays in state is all we have.

On McDonald, his position coach left Vandy. So the guy who he developed his relationship with, the guy he thought he would spend the most time with during his 4-5 years at Vandy is now no longer there. It is completely reasonable of him to open up his recruiting after such a development and I expected him to do so before it became official.

What I find interesting about the visit lists is that is appears the Gophers are bringing in a few preferred walk on types (Duke, Adam, Sam) in addition to potential scholarship kids. It seemed like there was already one weeked dedicated almost solely to preferred walk on visits, so I wonder if there is any significance to these kids coming at another time or if it's just simply scheduling conflicts?

This whole class is getting really interesting. I'm guessing there are 4-5 big surprises between now and signing day.

This whole class is getting really interesting. I'm guessing there are 4-5 big surprises between now and signing day.
If he wants to come here that is really great, if he wants to play elsewhere, I can live with it, I am in "state of post-grief relaxation/resignation" on this issue.
I agree with JG on his conclusion.

Prattville (AL) athlete Jalen Whitlow is visiting this weekend.

So is Cannon Falls (MN) linebacker Cedric Dicke. Dicke is a preferred walk-on candidate.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/124024?referrer_id=394965

Edit: Scratch that. Rivals had Whitlow visiting but now they don't, and he's visiting Arkansas State instead. He's been talking about Minneapolis for a while but I don't think he's a serious prospect anymore. Going to Ole Miss if they offer.

These aren't visits to us, but they are visits this weekend that should interest us.

-Robert Gregory is visiting Purdue, one would assume that they and us are his final two.

-Dennis Parks is visiting Rice, where he is currently committed. It's either us or them.

-Adam Pankey is visiting West Virginia, and then visiting us the following weekend. No idea what's up with him.

Not sure of any others. Our list of potentials for the final 2 or 3 spots seems to be narrowed down to single digits.

Because we lost another great MN WR recruit in Floyd.

Man, Floyd and Webbs woulda been dynamic. Oh well. Guess he was sold on the fact that the "ghost of Lou Holtz" still roams the sidelines at ND. he might have done more harm than good to our overall reputation in the end, though.

Man, Floyd and Webbs woulda been dynamic. Oh well. Guess he was sold on the fact that the "ghost of Lou Holtz" still roams the sidelines at ND. he might have done more harm than good to our overall reputation in the end, though.

I think Floyd would have preferred to play Jimmy Clausen than Weber.

Clausen blows about as much as Weber does, possibly more. He has no future.\

Decker managed to look pretty darn good with Weber.
If Clausen had played 4 years he would have eclipsed Weber in pretty much every statistical category. Weber doesn't even that much better stats with 15 more games. And what does NFL future have to do with college success?

Clausen Stats

Weber Stats

I'd say the facts point to most WR's would prefer Clausen throwing them the ball.

Clausen blows about as much as Weber does, possibly more. He has no future.\

Decker managed to look pretty darn good with Weber.

Huh?

Clausen isn't a very good pro QB but he was a very good college QB. He was considerably better in college than Adam Weber, and it wasn't even close. He put up better numbers, he was drafted higher, he was better in every conceivable way. I'm not talking about whether or not he will be a good pro, where your post might make a tiny bit of sense, but as a college player, Clausen was much better than Weber.

Yep, Decker looked pretty good, because Decker is a good football player.

The whole point of my other posting was that I highly doubt Michael Floyd is sitting around thinking to himself, "gosh, I could have played with Adam Weber". Adam had a nice career, but he wasn't as good as Clausen.

Clausen was always a crap QB, he just benefited from having great players around him. Its always easier to succeed when that happens.

Any word yet on Roland Johnson? Isn't the JUCO signing period closing soon (today?).

Clausen was always a crap QB, he just benefited from having great players around him. Its always easier to succeed when that happens.

Even if you believe that, he has always been better than Adam Weber.

Any word yet on Roland Johnson? Isn't the JUCO signing period closing soon (today?).

Only if they want to start spring quarter and eligible to do so. Otherwise they are no different than any other recruits who sign on Feb. 1st.

Jan 20
Jacoby Briscoe DT 6-4/290
Adam Bungum ATH 6-2/180
Adam Pankey 3* OL 5.6 6-5/290 Pittsburgh verbal
Pedro Sibiea 3* DE 5.5 6-3/251 Louisville verbal

I'm assuming Briscoe and Pankey are not visiting this weekend. I'll also assume that they like Bungum as a preferred walk-on. I think Sibiea would be a nice addition. Is anyone else visiting this weekend?

I'm assuming Briscoe and Pankey are not visiting this weekend. I'll also assume that they like Bungum as a preferred walk-on. I think Sibiea would be a nice addition. Is anyone else visiting this weekend?
Pankey pulled out once he visited West Virginia and decided it was them or Pittsburgh. Briscoe is visiting Miami. I didn't know he was ever set to visit here (not that he wasn't, just don't remember that).

I think it's just Sibea and Bungum. Maybe some walk-ons that aren't getting any pub.

I know one of the kids personally that have been talked about as a preferred walk-on or a possible scholarship player. Nice kid and smart. However, I can't believe the Gophers are interested in him. He really isn't that good (IMO)- DII but not DI. He was most likely only the 5th or 6th best player on a decent team. I'm a retired coach so I have some credentials to fall back on and if this is an example of what they consider a MN recruit then it has to cast some shadow on some of the others. I posted on this before and won't give his name. More power to him if he can impress the Gophers enough to get an offer. Hope he proves me wrong.

I know one of the kids personally that have been talked about as a preferred walk-on or a possible scholarship player. Nice kid and smart. However, I can't believe the Gophers are interested in him. He really isn't that good (IMO)- DII but not DI. He was most likely only the 5th or 6th best player on a decent team. I'm a retired coach so I have some credentials to fall back on and if this is an example of what they consider a MN recruit then it has to cast some shadow on some of the others. I posted on this before and won't give his name. More power to him if he can impress the Gophers enough to get an offer. Hope he proves me wrong.
Yeah, but I think sometimes they will make offers based more off potential than actual performance if the kid has the right combination of size and speed for what they are looking for, somethings just can't be coached up.

Has some speed. Maybe some of the toughness and physicality I think he lacks can be coached into him.

Possibly one of the coolest names ever, Yoshoub Timms is visiting on the 26th.

He's a DT with a Western Michigan offer. I mean what more could you want??!!?!

Top Bottom