Jamison Battle to enter the Transfer Portal

I think he has more to sell this year- if the roster holds as is. Coach- why were you so bad? We played the talented young guys, had a lot of rough patches and by the end of the year we were competitive. We have a strong group of forwards coming back, all conference honorable mention PF in Garcia and potential future all conference C in Payne. Fox and Ihnen coming in so we have good athletic size. Max Christies brother coming in- great shooter. Plenty of playing time for a good PG or shooter. Great chance to make a move this year and be good. That's the pitch. Will it work? I have no idea.

All I know is Dan Monson had a terrible year WITH NBA player Kris Humphries. Humphries left and everyone thought the team would be pitiful. Hagen came back from an injury, Arob stepped up from out of nowhere, Monson recruited Grier and Stamper and they went 10-6. I think Ben is a better salesman than Monson. He can do this. Battle was this year's Humphries IMO. Battle is a good player who was miserably inefficient this year for the Gophers and really did not help his teammates get better. On Battle, I will repeat, of all of our players who got big minutes he was by far the worst on shooting efficiency at less than a point scored per shot taken. A good player is 1.2 to 1.3 points per shot.
Excellent post and your optimism makes me 😃even more.

I also like that you provide the “why” you think we’ll be better.

I respect Battle for coming back and playing with whatever ailments or effects he had from them this season, but he’s not an efficient scorer and he may need a change of scenery and not to be the man, to maximize his abilities.

Lastly we don’t even know who’s visiting yet, being offered via the portal, so how can that be evaluated? Is withholding judgment for ~6 weeks and letting some ☀️ In going to be that painful?
If yes, Good Grief Charle Brown

Last edited:

No ha. I said look at teams that are a 1-3 seed this year. Battle isnt cracking the starting lineup on any of them.

Most likely not the top 6 of their lineup either. Thats where top 6 came into play.
St. Thomas? How productive are they with nil?

Let me see if I have this straight. We get on this message board and rip a player that doesnt play good. Then we rip the player because he wants to leave. Then we rip the program for letting the player that we’ve ripped on for not playing good, leave. I think Ive got it now.
How many poor decisions did Jamison average per game this year? His decision making is very questionable.

Good luck to those two playing pro. I don't see a long career overseas for either one of those guys.
Very few players have long pro careers anywhere. A few years making more money than they would in their non-sports field, seeing the world, and hopefully enjoying the game they are good at and love is a pretty good gig if you can get it. Even if it's just a year or two.

For some on this board.....yep.....
NYC and MVC- This is correct. I am holding out some optimism right now because it is all I can do to make this offseason fun. I was against the hire. The U put him in a horrible spot. It was a bad year. I hated to see Henley go.

I am excited to see what Ben can do with what he has. We'll find out what kind of chops he has this spring and summer. Some of the best moments come after you hit bottom, those are the great stories. I would like nothing more than to see Ben get this done this summer, have a surprisingly good year and continue to show improvement in his coaching and ability to recruit and develop players. He's a good guy you can root for. It's a long shot, but if he can succeed here in the next year or two even at a moderate level, our program could finally break through and have a long term solution. That's going to drive some people nuts, but there, I said it. :)

Neither Battle or Cooper have any - 0 chance of making the NBA and most likely the G league. If they want to go to somewhere in Europe that would be a big accomplishment for anyone and that’s prolly where they will go
How many NBA threes did he take this year? It was like he was trying to impress the scouts, and he made none of them!

NYC and MVC- This is correct. I am holding out some optimism right now because it is all I can do to make this offseason fun. I was against the hire. The U put him in a horrible spot. It was a bad year. I hated to see Henley go.

I am excited to see what Ben can do with what he has. We'll find out what kind of chops he has this spring and summer. Some of the best moments come after you hit bottom, those are the great stories. I would like nothing more than to see Ben get this done this summer, have a surprisingly good year and continue to show improvement in his coaching and ability to recruit and develop players. He's a good guy you can root for. It's a long shot, but if he can succeed here in the next year or two even at a moderate level, our program could finally break through and have a long term solution. That's going to drive some people nuts, but there, I said it. :)
Well said.....the off season is the time for fans to be delusional and think thier program is going to make the improvements needed to succeed. But some in here are so hell bent on seeing Johnson fired that they can't even allow themselves to enjoy the time when hope springs eternal for fans.

And in the end they absolutely could end up being right. Next year could suck again, all the good players could leave, winter will never end, the sun will never shine......

Or who knows....maybe Johnson actually finds the pieces needed to compliment what is already here and we see things move in the right direction. He has to find some key piece but he doesn't have to rebuild the whole roster the way he has in his first 2 years.

I choose to look on the bright side and hope for the best. I don't have a strong opinion about Johnson either way but he seems like a good dude so I want to see him succeed and am willing to give it a little more time before blowing it all up again and starting over.

this one is very much a yikes. Going pro would've been one thing but transferring is another. Clearly he wants to win and doesn't think it's going to happen here next year. Ain't like Ben would've pushed him out.
Again, I expected him likely to jump, just not this way. Don't think it changes much for next year but it's sending a bad message. Regardless, still the same calculus for next year. It's minimum of a NCAA bubble or he's gone imo. Problem is, right now the roster looks easily slotted for 14th again.
Battle has one mission: to earn money playing basketball. After a bad season, his stock has dropped. He would sign a pro contract today if offered.

If he has no offers now, his only option is to play another year in college and putting up noticeable numbers. His back is against the wall. He has one more shot. He doesn't see it happening at Minnesota playing with Garcia. He is correct.

Aberdeen is a small town and I went to school there. Someone messaged me and told me the week he announced. He was coming here injury or no injury though.
Thank you for clarifying.

So no direct knowledge, but via a third party. This allows others to make their own judgments on the validity of the claim.

Regardless of the veracity of the information provided, the source should be provided, as Fox is being accused of a falsehood and misrepresenting himself.

Blah blah blah.

Feel free to be happy with a shit product.

I'm going to bitch about it. Paying patrons are chosing not to be paying patrons.

It's a lost cause with Johnson. Try again.
Report back on how all the piss and vinegar works out for you. (Hint: You are the only one it will affect. Well, and those around you who will grow tired of the incessant bitching. Been there. Done that.) :)

I also feel the outlook is not great based on what I've seen. I can wail and gnash my teeth until I'm blue in the face and it won't change a damn thing. That is the brutal truth. It will get fixed one way or another and in a time frame I cannot control. In the meantime, I'd definitely stop patronizing the product and I'd probably stop watching the shitshow if it is that upsetting.

I have one child who is somewhat directly impacted by this three ring goat rodeo. I am anxious for this crap to get right and fly straight for their behalf. But, I'm also remaining calm in the face of massive uncertainty. I'll tell you the same thing I told them - when they make it personal, their happiness is directly tied to the successes and failures of a group that is completely out of their control. If they give any group that power - pro, college or otherwise, they are going to be let down more often than not by people who don't know them and could give two shits less about their happiness.

Your mileage may vary.

Blah blah blah.

Feel free to be happy with a shit product.

I'm going to bitch about it. Paying patrons are chosing not to be paying patrons.

It's a lost cause with Johnson. Try again.
What happened to Thorson? Is he not on staff anymore? When the Gophers were competitive and winning he received a lot of credit… I’m sure from people like you! Any blame go to him or no?

Are you crazy? If he has even a modicum of success, these same people will be on here predicting when he gets hired away by a more prestigious program and how bad that is going to set us back. It - never - stops. :)

Some people are like my aunt. Perpetually miserable and determined to drag everyone else down with her. Always the victim. Always getting screwed over. Bitches that her ice cream is cold. Sucky-ass existence if you ask me. Glad I got her sister as my mom instead!

While the Gophers are in a perpetual Build Back Better program is St Thomas an option.

Report back on how all the piss and vinegar works out for you. (Hint: You are the only one it will affect. Well, and those around you who will grow tired of the incessant bitching. Been there. Done that.) :)

I also feel the outlook is not great based on what I've seen. I can wail and gnash my teeth until I'm blue in the face and it won't change a damn thing. That is the brutal truth. It will get fixed one way or another and in a time frame I cannot control. In the meantime, I'd definitely stop patronizing the product and I'd probably stop watching the shitshow if it is that upsetting.

I have one child who is somewhat directly impacted by this three ring goat rodeo. I am anxious for this crap to get right and fly straight for their behalf. But, I'm also remaining calm in the face of massive uncertainty. I'll tell you the same thing I told them - when they make it personal, their happiness is directly tied to the successes and failures of a group that is completely out of their control. If they give any group that power - pro, college or otherwise, they are going to be let down more often than not by people who don't know them and could give two shits less about their happiness.

Your mileage may vary.
LOL.

For someone who doesn't let others control your attitude you're sure worked up about this.

Top Bottom