James Laurinaitis is a dud at the combine

lawrence21

you have no life
Reaction score
http://cfn.scout.com/2/842136.html

My college roommate is a huge Buckeye fan and he said people in Columbus never thought Laurinaitis was as good as the hype he received, he was good because he had good players around him to make him look good. They said he was no AJ Hawk. I wonder how this effects his draft status? A 4.82 40? Ouch! Mike Sherels may give him a run for his money in a foot race and that is sad.

My college roommate is a huge Buckeye fan and he said people in Columbus never thought Laurinaitis was as good as the hype he received, he was good because he had good players around him to make him look good. They said he was no AJ Hawk. I wonder how this effects his draft status?

The NFL seems to be huge on physical talent and really has little consideration of the whole package (mental/physical/emotional) (see Ryan Leaf, Alex Smith, and Michael Vick as prime examples). Laurenitis, in my opinion, indeed was overrated, especially after watching the likes of Paul Pozlusny, Lavar Arrington, Brandon Short, Sean Lee, and others over at linebacker U. But I don't see why someone with his accomplishments wouldn't get a decent shot in the mid-to-late rounds. Especially at the middle LB position, you need someone with brains as much as physical talent. Laurenitis seems to have a decent head, and will likely never be an NFL star but could make an impact, depending on opportunity.

I Would Agree with that Assessment

My college roommate is a huge Buckeye fan and he said people in Columbus never thought Laurinaitis was as good as the hype he received, he was good because he had good players around him to make him look good. They said he was no AJ Hawk. I wonder how this effects his draft status? A 4.82 40? Ouch! Mike Sherels may give him a run for his money in a foot race and that is sad.

Nothing makes a linebacker more successful than a good defensive line in front of him. A highly skilled and athletic LB can be pretty bad if there is no d-line to keep the o-linemen of him. The talent around him is a HUGE factor for a LB.

in the mock drafts i was looking at not too long ago he was a late first round pick, have things changed that drastically that we are now talking mid-late rounds??

in the mock drafts i was looking at not too long ago he was a late first round pick, have things changed that drastically that we are now talking mid-late rounds??

Not to worry, all that was proved at the combine was that James is not a track star. He won't be on the board come round 2.

I won't bother to worry about what happens to an Ohio State football player. I don't care much for OSU.

He was the most overrated player in college football for the last 4 years. He should thank Brent Musberger, his dad's wrestling fame, his team's success and national spotlight. He was productive in college, but he was never as good as people made him out to be IMO. That doesn't mean he can't have a nice NFL career, but personally I wouldn't touch him until at least round 2 or 3.

thats why ohio state gets run out of dodge when they play the big boys

this is your stud defender.........trying to chase the great athletes

He will be off the board late first or early second. Even if we all are upset that he went to OSU instead of MN it's hard to deny that he is a pretty darn good LB.

He's not a great linebacker, just a solid one.

He reminds me of Urlacher a bit. You get PA, who has a huge crush on him and thinks he God. Yet other players have ranked him as most overrated player in the league more than once. Who's right? The Viking's play by play man, or the Leagues player's? I go with the players. Same for James, media types love him, but other teams didn't think much of him and did not scheme for him. That says the most of anything, you scheme for players you think can hurt you, you don't for those who don't concern you. 3rd round is my guess, and he could be the guy that we watch sitting in New York for 7 hours this year.

Not to worry, all that was proved at the combine was that James is not a track star. He won't be on the board come round 2.

sportsfan24...you are indeed a student of the finer points of the game of football :D

laurinaitis and da boys ran on a slow track in indy last week...derrick williams of psu...a 4.64???...ray maualuga of southern cal...a 4.9???

remember...current viking starting line backer and former 1st rounder from iowa chad greenway ran a 4.78 at the combine on a faster track (pre lucas oil)...which didn't affect his draft status...

like it or not, laurinaitis was one of the greatest college football players of all time...3-time AP all-american...butkus award winner...nagurski award winner....lott award winner...to name a few...multi-year academic award winner, too...

we fans/residents of minnesota ought to be proud that 'one of our own' has achieved so much on the national stage...and consistently represented so well...

laurinaitis will go in the 1st round...and will be a stud in the 'league':D:D:D

Greatest of all-time? Really? Go back and watch the games when he played the good teams like LSU, Texas, and USC. He is at least a step slow on every play. He was lucky to play in the big ten where some teams still just pounded the ball. He's not fast enough to be a big factor in the league let alone a "stud". He will contribute to a team but for he will never be a stud. Over/Under on pro bowl appearences from him .5, and I will take the under every day.

Greatest of all-time? Really? Go back and watch the games when he played the good teams like LSU, Texas, and USC. He is at least a step slow on every play. He was lucky to play in the big ten where some teams still just pounded the ball. He's not fast enough to be a big factor in the league let alone a "stud". He will contribute to a team but for he will never be a stud. Over/Under on pro bowl appearences from him .5, and I will take the under every day.

duluth...not sure if you watch much college football? or if you have a short memory? or if you have another agenda in mind? :confused:

james laurinaitis made his name in the big, nationally televised games against the 'good teams' you mention...

here is a cut and paste of his game against #2 ranked texas as a sophomore (#1 vs. #2)...

"returned first career interception 25 yards in a 24-7 win at No. 2 Texas ... forced two Texas fumbles, one on the goal line ... Big Ten defensive player of week (Texas) ... team weekly defensive honor"

against national champion lsu as a junior...

"BCS championship game record 18 tackles vs. LSU ... defensive player of week"

he had 9 tackles against usc

he's not "at least a step slow on every play" as you ridiculously suggest...:rolleyes:

he was a stud for the past 4 years...and will continue to be one in the nfl...:)

you can choose to ignore him, dismiss him, minimize his accomplishments, hope he has a lousy career, or whatever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Overrated

While I wish him the best in the NFL, a successful player won't hurt the MN image at all. He is overrated, I watched the game against LSU and while he did have a bunch of tackles, there were a lot that were 5+ yards downfield and the only reason he was in position is because he was getting blocked every play. There was a lineman in his face pushing him back very often. That was not only the case that game but in other games that I saw against the top teams in the country.

I said it to people this year that he was overrated and I am guessing he knows it too, why else would he have come back when people were telling him he was a top 5 pick last year. He knew he didn't have the measurables to go that high.

The combine had horribly slow times this year. A 4.8 is not good at all but none of the LBs ran fast times. I think Lucas Oil is a horrible track. No DB ran under a 4.4 this year which is rare.

While I wish him the best in the NFL, a successful player won't hurt the MN image at all. He is overrated, I watched the game against LSU and while he did have a bunch of tackles, there were a lot that were 5+ yards downfield and the only reason he was in position is because he was getting blocked every play. There was a lineman in his face pushing him back very often. That was not only the case that game but in other games that I saw against the top teams in the country.

I said it to people this year that he was overrated and I am guessing he knows it too, why else would he have come back when people were telling him he was a top 5 pick last year. He knew he didn't have the measurables to go that high.

hey sungopher...that is a real headscratcher of a comment...:confused::confused::confused:

perhaps you need to come in out of the sun...the shade can do wonders for the logical thought process...:D

He is overrated, I watched the game against LSU and while he did have a bunch of tackles, there were a lot that were 5+ yards downfield and the only reason he was in position is because he was getting blocked every play.

Our linebackers are always 5+ yards downfield. Too bad Northwestern couldn't have "blocked" one of them into the way of Kafka 18 times in that game....we'd have been 8-1!

The combine had horribly slow times this year. A 4.8 is not good at all but none of the LBs ran fast times. I think Lucas Oil is a horrible track. No DB ran under a 4.4 this year which is rare.

good point, oleboy41...of the db's, only 1 cb and 2 safety's ran under 4.5 :eek::eek::eek:

but maybe they are all slow, over-rated, or whatever...:mad::mad:

He is what he is

He played for OSU. He followed Hawk and Carpener. He lost title shots in blow outs. His range is lacking in coverage. His lack of depth was a factor in LSU's passing game, Florida's beatdown, and Texas went to it when they needed it. A post beating the corner, and safety but right over Mr. L. If you watch him his head spins on a swivel, but he is at least 10 yards short on depth.

He was hyped by Ohio State as the next big thing. Brent bought into it. It sold in Big 10 Country. But when they matched up outside the confines it became apparent there must be better linebackers in the SEC, Big 12, or certainly the Pac 10. If he goes in the second round, good for him.

Well, given the talent around him, to say Laurenitis benefited from that is not necessarily wrong. One of the problems gauging USC player is that there are so many good players together, it makes them all look better.

Condition of the track may have something to do with it, but overall I think he may be a good player but not necessarily the premier player he was made out to be at the beginning of his senior year. It would not surprise me to see him drop to late first round, early second.

Remember that he began the year as a potential to 10 pick and now the "experts" (said loosely) have him in the late teens, early 20s. There must be some reasons why he dropped!

He played for OSU. He followed Hawk and Carpener. He lost title shots in blow outs. His range is lacking in coverage. His lack of depth was a factor in LSU's passing game, Florida's beatdown, and Texas went to it when they needed it. A post beating the corner, and safety but right over Mr. L. If you watch him his head spins on a swivel, but he is at least 10 yards short on depth.

He was hyped by Ohio State as the next big thing. Brent bought into it. It sold in Big 10 Country. But when they matched up outside the confines it became apparent there must be better linebackers in the SEC, Big 12, or certainly the Pac 10. If he goes in the second round, good for him.

husker...you have potential...as a comedian...:D:D:D

blaming a mlb on blown safety coverage??:confused::confused::confused:

and who are those 'better linebackers'?? maualuga with his 4.9 speed? who?

laurinaitis is a 1st rounder...:)

we minnesotans can all be proud

completely agree with Husker70

and He had so many tackles because he is a Middle Linebacker and you are suppose to make tackles when guys are running right at you. I think Laurinaitis was exposed in games outside of the Big Ten when he played real competition.

Not being clear in what I am saying...that is common for me.

Basically he would get blocked and pushed away from the line of scrimmage to a point 5+ yards downfield and while chasing the play he would make the tackle after a 6-8 yard gain. Sort of blocked into making the tackle, I am sure that doesn't make sense but I can picture what I am trying to describe.

I too wish NW would have blocked one of us into him on a couple of those plays and we would have been 8-1 and sitting pretty.

He represented the Big Ten well. I wish him the best! I'll cheer on anyone who represents the B10 when not playing the U of M...of course.

If James went to Minnesota he would be no better than a 3rd round pick. He went to tOSU, got overhyped and has higher stock than he should. More power to the kid who is gonna get paid much more than he deserves. I'm not saying he's gonna be garbage, but he is no way gonna come into the league and in 3-5 years be the next Ray Lewis or Urlacher. He is just not that good. At the most I would put him in the Ben Leber category of LB's. Average to Good linebacker who in the right system might be alright, but at the same time could be a backup to many teams in the league and will never make a pro bowl.

and who are those 'better linebackers'?? maualuga with his 4.9 speed? who?

Aaron Curry of Wake Forest is the top LB in the draft and a consensus top-five pick. Brian Cushing of USC is probably the #2 LB in the draft and it sounds like Marcus Freeman, JL's teammate at OSU, could jump him.

Top Bottom