James Green drops Gophers for Toledo

The academic department and the athletic department haven't seen "eye to eye" for quite awhile at the University. The more a coach pushes to get someone in, the more the coach is hated, not successful. To be fair to the "academics", after the Gangelhoff debacle I'd doubt that anybody over there said "let's make it easier to get kids in.
Do you think they should? I mean this is obviously a massive disappointment, but if the speculation is true that he couldn't qualify why shouldn't he be held to the same academic standards as any other student?

I think I read somewhere that Jedd Fisch was the main reason for him coming here.

Maybe he knows something about Fisch leaving and didn't want to be apart of our program without him.

I hope this isn't true

Do you think they should? I mean this is obviously a massive disappointment, but if the speculation is true that he couldn't qualify why shouldn't he be held to the same academic standards as any other student?

Uh, no. That's what I was getting at with: o be fair to the "academics", after the Gangelhoff debacle I'd doubt that anybody over there said "let's make it easier to get kids in.

To subtle?:confused:

And ending with "If he's (Brewster) going to take a chance, do it on 4- Star players."

I meant that Brewster should still try.

The player you were thinking of was/is (I believe) Keith Lipka from Oak Creek, WI. He had to spend time at Wahpeton, N.D., at the North Dakota School for Science (I think it is still called that.....)

I called it once he committed. This kid couldn't even get into Tennessee so what made peoplethink he'd get in here?

No big loss.

For once I agree with Art V. Come one folks, let's at least wait to find out what actually happened. What good would another (I'm not going to name names, you figure it out) bucket of trouble be for us? Maybe we DID catch a break and won't have to deal with the guy beyond recruiting. Who knows? We sure don't know yet whether "it blows" or not.

Disturbing. This program is cursed

I don't think its a matter of being cursed as much as its symptomatic of a program in dissarray run by two guys who should be given a pink slip---Maturi and Brew.

I don't think its a matter of being cursed as much as its symptomatic of a program in dissarray run by two guys who should be given a pink slip---Maturi and Brew.

Yep...cause your boy Mase had no trouble with recruits qualifying academically....:rolleyes:

Meh, not really worried. We have plenty of talented receivers. Now had he been a running back...

Yep...cause your boy Mase had no trouble with recruits qualifying academically....:rolleyes:

But to be fair, you can't blame the academic department for not wanting Mason's recruits, nobody else wanted them either!:p

Gees, did Gordy Shaw EVER bring in a recruit that had more then one offer from another D-1 school?

FML!!!!:banghead: FOR TOLEDO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: good god brew is digging his own grave I'm sry...

FML!!!!:banghead: FOR TOLEDO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: good god brew is digging his own grave I'm sry...

He couldn't get in here people. It's an academic issue, we weren't outrecruited by frickin Toledo.

Though Im pissed, all of the people acting like its Brews or Maturis fault need to get a clue. This guy didnt leave Minnesota for freakin Toledo. Clearly academics until I hear otherwise.

What is crazy to me is this kid is taking classes right now in Toledo and none of us knew. This must have happened well over a week ago. So much Gopher Nation being plugged in.

Does anyone actually know this was academic, and not just him flat out changing his mind? I mean, I know it kinda looks that way, but just wondering cause I haven't actually heard anything about the reason for the switch.

Does anyone actually know this was academic, and not just him flat out changing his mind? I mean, I know it kinda looks that way, but just wondering cause I haven't actually heard anything about the reason for the switch.

Doesn't that have to come from the student? I don't think that privacy laws allow the U to say if the kid doesn't want the info released.

Reading today's posts it looks like we have quite a few posters who have first hand experience with not getting into school!:D

Youngblood's blog says he didn't qualify for the U so he switched to Toledo. Also, he said that since you can only sign one LOI (he did with TN), his scholarship agreement with the U is not binding.

Does it really matter why? Bottom line is the program missed out on another talented player. You can never have enough talent.

Youngblood's blog says he didn't qualify for the U so he switched to Toledo. Also, he said that since you can only sign one LOI (he did with TN), his scholarship agreement with the U is not binding.

Thanks, was just curious about it.

Does it really matter why? Bottom line is the program missed out on another talented player. You can never have enough talent.

it kid of does....I'm sure he wanted to play here instead of Toledo. I'm sure we wanted him to play here by many of the responses in this thread. Unfortunately we can't help if he's an idiot and can't actually get into a Big Ten institution. You can't not recruit these kid of guys though, cause they you get the other side yelling why we don't bring in any talent.

You'd love the star reciever who also has a 4.0. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of those out there, and until we show we can compete with the big boys, Minnesota isn't going to automatically be in their top 5...

He's gone...we got 2 other stud recievers....he have a lot of talent coming back. We still have a month for Brewster to work his magic....I'm not worried...

Does anyone know the basic requirements to get into the U as an athlete?

Not looking for a link to anything, just simple old basic requirements.

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

I love how the same folks who are very pro-Brew also get so bent out of shape over every recruit that changes thier mind/can't qualify. I guess it's just a matter of how much stock one puts in recruiting. All that said, this isn't good. If it's not the sound of a hammer hitting a nail, it's at least the sound of a box of nails being opened.

I'm pro-Brew and I don't like it when a solid recruit de-commits. If I were anti-Brew I would still not like it when a solid recruit de-commits. I'm really not sure how one dot connects to the other.

This is too bad for the Gophers. The kid looked like he could be the perfect compliment to Hawkins and give us a big/athletic target. Kiese will now not have a ton of competition for that possesion WR in the future.

He couldn't get in here people. It's an academic issue, we weren't outrecruited by frickin Toledo.

yeah I got that after I posted ;) still though this crap just gets old...

It's hard to get any recruiting traction this year. It's too bad.

And if they had let him in and he'd become ineligable all you naysayers would have bitched that Brew brought in a dummie!!!!!!!! Some of you wouldn't be happy if you were hung with a golden rope.

Top Bottom