Jamal Mashburn Jr. has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN.

Bummer. Not surprising but I hoped he would at least wait and see who the new coach is.

JMJ has talent, but to my eyes, he is a "tweener." Doesn't seem to handle the ball well enough to be a PG, except in a backup role. And he isn't tall enough to guard bigger SG's. I think he would be best-suited at a school that plays a 3-guard system where Mashburn could be more of a wing without having be the the primary ball-handler.

2 gone..... I see at least 3 more
Embrace the transfer portal is the way I see it. It's a very convenient source of available talent for the new Gophers coach, and whatever type of player suits his system. A year ago no one was thinking anything about Robbins, and he was a really good player to get.

Out of curiosity, but why would that be cool? Really not a fan of losing one of our better returning players, and certainly not to Pitino. I don't wish Pitino any ill-will but definitely don't wish him success at our expense.

Go Gophers!!

I wish everyone success.
People should chase their dreams and make their own choices.
I like Pitino. Wish him well.
Life's too short to hold grudges.
Pitino's success and Minnesota's success aren't mutually exclusive.

New coach will want his own players anyway, and with transfer portal, it's less of an issue than ever before.

Just because he is in the portal doesn’t guarantee he will leave. New coach can still talk him down. Crazy to leave when you could be the starting point guard for a B1G team but the new offense may not suit his style of play. If he leaves I hope he kills it wherever he ends up.
Yeah, until he actually finds a new home there is always the chance that whoever the new coach is can convince him to come back (assuming that coach wants him back of course).

Too many just assume that the simple act of putting your name in the portal means you are 100% gone.

Officially a complete rebuild now. Short term pain for long term gain.
Totally disagree. This roster was shaping up to be a dumpster fire last offseason. Pitino brought in Robbins, Johnson, and Gach. Going to be more impact players in the transfer portal then ever before. We hire an exciting coach who can promise immediate playing time and we could be better than we were this year.

Not saying I am expecting it, but in this day and age teams can reload pretty quickly.

The list of D1 hoops players in the transfer portal is crazy. Some really good names out there.

Just because he is in the portal doesn’t guarantee he will leave. New coach can still talk him down. Crazy to leave when you could be the starting point guard for a B1G team but the new offense may not suit his style of play. If he leaves I hope he kills it wherever he ends up.
A bummer but not surprising. And yes, perhaps hedging his bets pending the outcome of the coaching hire. He might still be convinced to stay if there's a mutual fit.

Few thoughts. Would have really like JMJ to stay, flashed some upside and felt like a guy who could do some nice things. That said, his loss isn't this cataclysmic thing we won't recover from. He certainly has work to do on defense and is still going to have growing pains on offense. I will say, much like Pitino, I wonder what the reaction would have been if his name was ohh I don't know say Jamir Harris. His name recognition certainly gives him more juice as a prospect. Again I like the kid and his game, would have been more than ok with 3 more years but he isn't going to be the reason we were great vs terrible in the near future.

Honestly, being a college coach would just be draining having to not only recruit high school players and transfers but needing to re-recruit your own players constantly.

It's virtually impossible to have any type of roster management plan because you can lose five guys in the blink of an eye.

Out of curiosity, but why would that be cool? Really not a fan of losing one of our better returning players, and certainly not to Pitino. I don't wish Pitino any ill-will but definitely don't wish him success at our expense.

Go Gophers!!
This shouldn't be a concern at all. The high majority of this board didn't want Pitino to be the coach here in the future. Mashburn came here due to Pitino. He and his family may have strong ties with him and his dad and may want to continue the good relationship that they have. Why keep a keep him if he isn't going to be happy here?

So much for the prestige of Carlson School of Management.
Yet some people continue to think this kind of thing is the least bit important when it comes to major college basketball.

All of the people acting like this isn't much of a loss are kind of crazy; not sure what you are looking at.

He was clearly our best young player. Showed a lot of promise when he started to get minutes. Showed he wasn't scared. He was a freshman in the best conference in the country. Nobody ever said was a one-and-done, so not sure what people expected.

Anyway, disappointed, but not shocked.

Agreed. Best player on the team other than Robbins and not close.

Can he be replaced? Yep, but this one has a bit of a sting. I would have loved to see what he could do underneath a coach that taught discipline and smart guard play.

This is what baffles the hell out of me. He committed last spring when "Pitino on the hot seat" rumors were rampant. He, his parents and coach had to know his preferred guy was dangling by a thread, but prioritized coach over school anyway. Now the thread has predictably been cut. Oh well.

Right, but now he had a good freshman season and knows he can go somewhere else and win. If he stays, he knows it's a rebuild. I'm certain the kid want to go and try to win, nothing more.

Smart to enter. Bet he doesn't make a move until after the Gophers officially hire a coach and he can see who it is.
Or a blue blood or major program "offers" him (not sure what the rules are about that, with a player in the portal).

Agreed. Best player on the team other than Robbins and not close.

Can he be replaced? Yep, but this one has a bit of a sting. I would have loved to see what he could do underneath a coach that taught discipline and smart guard play.

We could make a pretty strong case for Brandon Johnson being #2. Obviously it's TBD whether he would come back either

We could make a pretty strong case for Brandon Johnson being #2. Obviously it's TBD whether he would come back either
I'll be honest, he might not be the BEST player, but to me, he is the most IMPORTANT player.

I don't know if there has ever been a kid that plays as hard as he does here. Surely not in the Pitino era.(well I shouldn't say that Jordan Murphy was that type of player). He is the type of guy I want leading my team and program. It is just too bad that he wasn't here for all 4 years. I absolutely love the way this guy plays the game. All heart...

I'll be honest, he might not be the BEST player, but to me, he is the most IMPORTANT player.

I don't know if there has ever been a kid that plays as hard as he does here. Surely not in the Pitino era.(well I shouldn't say that Jordan Murphy was that type of player). He is the type of guy I want leading my team and program. It is just too bad that he wasn't here for all 4 years. I absolutely love the way this guy plays the game. All heart...
I am completely with you. I don't know what guys above have been watching. He has a whole lot of game and a high ceiling (height notwithstanding). I think he will have a breakout sophomore season. He embraced his increased importance and certainly wasn't shy. Good ballhandler, good shooter (comments above and a few games notwithstanding). He is the kind of guy you build a team around - even if he's not your very best player.

I don’t see reason to despair, as of yet, for several reasons:
* As stated, putting your name into the transfer portal doesn’t equate to leaving (although I am pretty certain Mashburn will be gone, given the reasons he came here)
* We don’t have a new coach yet, so in the interim there will be a great deal of uncertainty and contemplation on the part of the returning players
* Given the waiver for immediate eligibility for transfers, it’s going to get wild—just wait until teams start getting knocked out of the NCAA and NIT tournaments, the transfer list will balloon

Make the right hire and unlike any other year, the potential for a new coach stepping in with a strong, tourney-caliber squad will exist. It may beckon this scene from Major League before the season begins, but it could be a rapid turnaround next year.

I don’t see reason to despair, as of yet, for several reasons:
* As stated, putting your name into the transfer portal doesn’t equate to leaving (although I am pretty certain Mashburn will be gone, given the reasons he came here)
* We don’t have a new coach yet, so in the interim there will be a great deal of uncertainty and contemplation on the part of the returning players
* Given the waiver for immediate eligibility for transfers, it’s going to get wild—just wait until teams start getting knocked out of the NCAA and NIT tournaments, the transfer list will balloon

Make the right hire and unlike any other year, the potential for a new coach stepping in with a strong, tourney-caliber squad will exist. It may beckon this scene from Major League before the season begins, but it could be a rapid turnaround next year.
This is also how Scott Drew and Chris Beard and a few others can keep reloading and stay on top, once you actually get the program on solid footing. They lick their chops to see who is in the portal, and plug any holes they have quick.

This is also how Scott Drew and Chris Beard and a few others can keep reloading and stay on top, once you actually get the program on solid footing. They lick their chops to see who is in the portal, and plug any holes they have quick.
And if it happens to be Eric Musselman finding his way to Williams Arena, I would expect quite a roster overhaul.

Fine with him leaving. Have to play better defense if you're going to be a starter for any team that's going to win consistently

Top Bottom