Jahil In Town Tonight

FWIW
as of 12/10/13

USA today has
#34. Whitney Young, Chicago (0-1); ...... #41. Apple Valley, Minn. (4-0)

Whitney young was #5 in the country in preseason rankings

The Super 25 rankings are compiled by USA TODAY Sports' Jim Halley, based teams' success, quality of players and strength of schedule. Next rankings: Jan. 14.

I like the kid from Young who's going to Georgetown. Nice player. Was impressed how both teams seemed pretty unselfish.

Trent Jr sure looked decent for a 9th grader, if he improves his shooting he will be a big time recruit.

Crazy having an 8th grader on the team, bad for him and AV basketball.

Bertram hasn't developed much in the last year, he should be starting to develop some post moves and a go to shot inside, doesn't seem to be happening, great hands for a big guy though.

Okafor is very physical, unstoppable around the basket, but I didn't think he was the most polished inside player in years, maybe it was because his team had so much depth and he didn't need to dominate, White looked the part, to much depth for a team like AV, kind of skews things when your front court could probably start for any Big Ten team in a couple of years.
I didn't see anything wrong with having Tre out there. He played with his head up and took care of the ball.

Too early to make a final determination about Bertram. He's got decent hands and his release is quick enough, but his footwork and athleticism leave a lot to be desired.

Not sure I've ever heard anyone say Bertram's hands are one of his strengths. Also, why is Tre playing varsity bad for him? That makes no sense to me.

Not sure I've ever heard anyone say Bertram's hands are one of his strengths. Also, why is Tre playing varsity bad for him? That makes no sense to me.

Is he playing on the sophomore team and starting which I assume he is, if not he is missing valuable playing time, there is in all likelihood a junior or senior that has worked hard, is a better player, and probably deserves the spot a lot more, and in the end is better for the program. You start moving kids up before they are ready you reduce participation not only at the high school level but throughout the program, kids aren't dumb, and AV isn't a small school district, you are going to start seeing a why bother attitude.

Is he playing on the sophomore team and starting which I assume he is, if not he is missing valuable playing time, there is in all likelihood a junior or senior that has worked hard, is a better player, and probably deserves the spot a lot more, and in the end is better for the program. You start moving kids up before they are ready you reduce participation not only at the high school level but throughout the program, kids aren't dumb, and AV isn't a small school district, you are going to start seeing a why bother attitude.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't also playing JV where he probably gets a majority of his playing time. Challenging yourself and playing better competition (both in practice and in games) is beneficial for development too. Unless they changed the rules within the past few years, players can play 3 total halves. I'd bet most games he will play a lot in both halves of JV and some of one half for varsity. That would be good for his development if you ask me. If someone here goes to their JV games and actually knows how much he plays there feel free to chime in.

Top Bottom