J.P Macura

TNGophfan

Reaction score
Watch J. P. fill it up this afternoon for Xavier and still wish he would have become a Gopher. Don't want to re-live his recruiting but it seemed at the time that Pitino's recruitment of him was kind of half-hearted. Maybe I'm wrong on that. It sure would be nice to have someone who could hit consistently from way downtown as well as the free throw line. Object is still to put ball in basket. :)

tumblr_m79xs0pJRE1rziwwco1_400.gif

Watch J. P. fill it up this afternoon for Xavier and still wish he would have become a Gopher. Don't want to re-live his recruiting but it seemed at the time that Pitino's recruitment of him was kind of half-hearted. Maybe I'm wrong on that. It sure would be nice to have someone who could hit consistently from way downtown as well as the free throw line. Object is still to put ball in basket. :)

I've heard both ways: that Pitino didn't recruit him very hard and that Macura wanted to go to a smaller school out of the area. Maybe they are both true.

He seems to be a very streaky shooter. Lights it up one game, then puts up a dud the next.

Nate Mason has been a pretty solid shooter. Wasn't Macura in the same high school class? Plus he may have just not liked the environment of a huge public school. I recall his other finalists being Creighton and Butler, which, like Xavier, are all private schools with enrollments under 10,000.

Macura shot 33.7% from 3 his freshman year, 35.6% his sophomore year, and is shooting 32% so far this year (including his big game today). Not bad, but this post makes it sound like he's 40+% three point shooter.

Looking forward to rehashing Macura's recruitment again in a few months.

Macura shot 33.7% from 3 his freshman year, 35.6% his sophomore year, and is shooting 32% so far this year (including his big game today). Not bad, but this post makes it sound like he's 40+% three point shooter.

Looking forward to rehashing Macura's recruitment again in a few months.

OK, so now you're going to come at me with facts. :) I hadn't paid that close attention to his overall %'s but just watched today and liked his game, not only shooting but defensively, spacing and basketball IQ. Maybe not a good fit here but was definitely enamored with his shooting today. Hard to believe he's a junior already.

OK, so now you're going to come at me with facts. :) I hadn't paid that close attention to his overall %'s but just watched today and liked his game, not only shooting but defensively, spacing and basketball IQ. Maybe not a good fit here but was definitely enamored with his shooting today. Hard to believe he's a junior already.

I didn't watch his game today, but judging from his stats I'm not surprised you were impressed. I think he would have been a good fit here and it would have been nice to get him, but oh well. I like who we have at the 2 and 3.

JP was a big miss. IMO
I always felt he was and would be a very solid college player; everybody was so focused on the 'big 3'.... we totally missed an opportunity to get JP and we probably had a better shot at him than Tyus, Vaughn, or Travis.

I've felt this way since Pitino arrived; watching him play over the past few seasons has affirmed my feelings about that situation.

I was gonna start a thread for this topic I'm glad others have noticed.

guys lets just let these kids go? our team is pretty good and exciting if you havent noticed

JP was a big miss. IMO
I always felt he was and would be a very solid college player; everybody was so focused on the 'big 3'.... we totally missed an opportunity to get JP and we probably had a better shot at him than Tyus, Vaughn, or Travis.

I've felt this way since Pitino arrived; watching him play over the past few seasons has affirmed my feelings about that situation.

Tubby didn't recruit JP at all. Pitino liked him but he was a backup option. Time to move on.

I agree with letting this go. It would be great to have JP but then who would we not have in place of him? I do know that when people say we really missed out on Illikainen who is a good player. But if he is here we don't have Murphy. I would take Murphy over Illikainen and it isn't even close

JP was a big miss. IMO

I think I've read essentially this same post 20 different times in 10 different threads. Looking forward to the next one.

I think I've read essentially this same post 20 different times in 10 different threads. Looking forward to the next one.

Well here is the next one for you.

Fun watching him play. In high school and currently.
at the time I felt we really under recruited him... maybe because pitino just got here and was shooting for the stars. Idk.
But he's a really good, blue collar, tough, glue kid. Woulda been a fan favorite in maroon and gold...

Yes the team is looking as good as we have in 4 years; but because I really wanted to go after JP I will reiterate my appreciation for his game whenever possible and personally I can't help but think 'what if?'
I think if he was on our current roster we'd be a lock for the tourney and probably win some games in March.

I can articulate & rewrite this opinion again if you'd like.

Your welcome.

Yes it's a bummer he's not a Gopher. When can we stop crying over spilled milk?

Macura will be forgotten next year when a myriad of Brad Davison 'what could have been' threads begin appearing.

Really? I remember Macura being a late bloomer, and that really no one was recruiting him at the time Tubby was fired. He made his commitment just 3 months after receiving his first scholarship offer according to 247. It says we offered 2 days after Xavier.

Really? I remember Macura being a late bloomer, and that really no one was recruiting him at the time Tubby was fired. He made his commitment just 3 months after receiving his first scholarship offer according to 247. It says we offered 2 days after Xavier.

Staff attended games, contact was made, etc. We didn't offer, but that's not the same as not recruiting him.

Staff attended games, contact was made, etc. We didn't offer, but that's not the same as not recruiting him.

Ok. Pitino still wanted JP more than Tubby, which is why Pitino offered him and Tubby didn't. JP was still not a top priority to Pitino. This was 3 years ago and people need to move on.

Ok. Pitino still wanted JP more than Tubby, which is why Pitino offered him and Tubby didn't. JP was still not a top priority to Pitino. This was 3 years ago and people need to move on.

its weird why the fanbase does this - did something about amir dropping 30 make you miss jp? what a joke

Agreed on all counts.

at the time I felt we really under recruited him... maybe because pitino just got here and was shooting for the stars. Idk.
But he's a really good, blue collar, tough, glue kid. Woulda been a fan favorite in maroon and gold...

Yes the team is looking as good as we have in 4 years; but because I really wanted to go after JP I will reiterate my appreciation for his game whenever possible and personally I can't help but think 'what if?'
I think if he was on our current roster we'd be a lock for the tourney and probably win some games in March.

Your welcome.

You're*

Your welcome.

Ok. Not weird at all - in the future post this kind of stuff on the JP Macura board instead of the Gopher basketball one I care about the University of Minnesota team not someone who didn't want to be a part of it despite being born here.

Literally no one had offered him when Tubby was fired. It's possible he just wasn't a great player while Tubby was here. I don't really miss him. He seems liked he'd be a solid player, maybe a starter, but not necessarily a game changer. It's also very possible that even if we put in more effort, he would have still chosen a small private school over one of the biggest public schools in the country.

Macura also had an off court issue in the offseason. If he does that here, then Pitino is a poor judge of character.

Top Bottom