J.D. Spielman commits to Nebraska

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
...verbals to Nebraska today. Smallish but apparently very athletic

Most years this would suck, but we already have 3 WR commits and 2 of them are slot-type WR's which is what Spielman is. Snelson and Howard are both better IMO.

Who? Didn't want him. Like Nebraska is WR hot bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How could he pick NU that isn't a WR hot bed, when he could have gone here?

Come on, let's keep it real - Kill, Iowa, Iowa State and Michigan offered him so my guess is they all would have kept their commitment to a scholly. Gophers will see him every year so time will tell if he becomes a contributor to Nebby.

I guess he wants to play WR, and he chose Nebby for the greatest likehood of playing time as a WR.

Come on, let's keep it real - Kill, Iowa, Iowa State and Michigan offered him so my guess is they all would have kept their commitment to a scholly. Gophers will see him every year so time will tell if he becomes a contributor to Nebby.

Just because you offer someone doesn't mean you always accept a commitment. You think any of the QBs or WRs we offered can commit whenever? That ain't how it works. Spielman had his offer a while ago as did Howard and Hmiwhatever and those two beat him to the punch. The Snelson commit changed things a bit too. He's a good prospect who I would've liked to see go to MN but I honestly like the 3 we have a little better.

Just because you offer someone doesn't mean you always accept a commitment. You think any of the QBs or WRs we offered can commit whenever? That ain't how it works. Spielman had his offer a while ago as did Howard and Hmiwhatever and those two beat him to the punch. The Snelson commit changed things a bit too. He's a good prospect who I would've liked to see go to MN but I honestly like the 3 we have a little better.

For example, Spielman's Michigan and Iowa offers were no longer committable when he made his decision.

For example, Spielman's Michigan and Iowa offers were no longer committable when he made his decision.

It's questionable whether his MN offer was still commitable. The staff hadn't talked with him for 2 weeks. I think the Snelson commitment was the wildcard that wasn't expected, and when he pulled the trigger, Spielman was no longer a priority.

I wonder if J D were from another state if he would have gotten an offer? He doesn't have the measurables, to be an ideal fit for Kill's system, Mike Riley has a history with using smallish wide receivers. I think that J D just went with the better system fit. We are going to lose an occasional Power 5 level player, that not a good fit, to schools with better fits.

Wait too long, and weep. Didn't Carter Coughlin encourage him to commit sooner when the offer was still very fresh?

Wait too long, and weep. Didn't Carter Coughlin encourage him to commit sooner when the offer was still very fresh?

Do any of you remember the falling out between the two of them via twitter? I wonder if that played any role in his decision.

Who knows if the offer was still commitable. Snelson is a top end WR prospect with an offer from every helmet school around. That couldn't have been expected.

It's questionable whether his MN offer was still commitable. The staff hadn't talked with him for 2 weeks. I think the Snelson commitment was the wildcard that wasn't expected, and when he pulled the trigger, Spielman was no longer a priority.

From the way I understand it, JD was still wanted by the staff and they would have accepted his commitment, and as for the no communication with the staff, it was only after his Nebraska trip and it was all on his end not the staff's as they did make several attempts to reach him which he ignored. The staff conceded they lost him to Nebraska earlier in the week. As we all know his dad knows football, and they were going to pick the best school for his future, and as it stands that is Nebraska, with 0 commits at the WR position, and with the gophers he'd have to compete with 2 other guys from this class just for the slot position, hard to fault him and his family for the decision. Gophers will be just fine without him in my opinion, as I do think we have 2 better slot receivers committed.

Yep, Spielman committed to Nebraska over the weekend before Drew H committed and those were the two receivers that still had committable offers. For the record, I do believe JD is better than Howard and is a type of player that we don't currently have on our roster or committed.

Yep, Spielman committed to Nebraska over the weekend before Drew H committed and those were the two receivers that still had committable offers. For the record, I do believe JD is better than Howard and is a type of player that we don't currently have on our roster or committed.

I'd go with Howard but they're similar prospects

The only advantage I see with him going to the Huskers is he has a better chance at getting playing time, specially early. Our QB situation is looking solid. Mitch has certainly progressed and I would't be surprised if Croft became #2 sometime this year. Advantage Gophers. I still don't "get" the Riley hire. Don't see him returning Nebraska to helmet school status.

Good luck to JD and hope he does well as long as we beat them and are ahead of them in the standings.

The only advantage I see with him going to the Huskers is he has a better chance at getting playing time, specially early. Our QB situation is looking solid. Mitch has certainly progressed and I would't be surprised if Croft became #2 sometime this year. Advantage Gophers. I still don't "get" the Riley hire. Don't see him returning Nebraska to helmet school status. Good luck to JD and hope he does well as long as we beat them and are ahead of them in the standings.
Riley's offense throws the ball a lot more than Kill's. He has also developed and coached two Bilernikoff award winners so that is a good sales pitch to a receiver.

From the way I understand it, JD was still wanted by the staff and they would have accepted his commitment, and as for the no communication with the staff, it was only after his Nebraska trip and it was all on his end not the staff's as they did make several attempts to reach him which he ignored. The staff conceded they lost him to Nebraska earlier in the week. As we all know his dad knows football, and they were going to pick the best school for his future, and as it stands that is Nebraska, with 0 commits at the WR position, and with the gophers he'd have to compete with 2 other guys from this class just for the slot position, hard to fault him and his family for the decision. Gophers will be just fine without him in my opinion, as I do think we have 2 better slot receivers committed.

If that was his demeanor lacking a courtesy call, then good riddance. The Gopher coaches were up front with him. I don't care how talented he is or the fact that he is Rick Spielman's son. Jerry Kill only wants player who want to be here.

In what way are Howard and Spielman different types of players?

In what way are Howard and Spielman different types of players?

JD is much better laterally and more elusive than Howard or anyone else on our roster IMO. Jeff Jones is maybe the only one that compares in that area but he isn't as explosive as JD (but much better overall of course.)

The only advantage I see with him going to the Huskers is he has a better chance at getting playing time, specially early. Our QB situation is looking solid. Mitch has certainly progressed and I would't be surprised if Croft became #2 sometime this year. Advantage Gophers. I still don't "get" the Riley hire. Don't see him returning Nebraska to helmet school status.

Good luck to JD and hope he does well as long as we beat them and are ahead of them in the standings.

Riley coached guys like James Rodgers. He does well with small fast guys who can get touches in multiple ways. In that way it is a good fit.

JD is much better laterally and more elusive than Howard or anyone else on our roster IMO. Jeff Jones is maybe the only one that compares in that area but he isn't as explosive as JD (but much better overall of course.)

I can only judge off hudl highlights but I'm not seeing Spielman being "much better laterally" than Howard. Philip is pretty damn quick and elusive and looks to have better breakaway speed. I don't think the current roster has a player like Spielman OR Howard.

It'll be fun to follow their careers and compare. We'll obviously get a good look at Spielman the next 4-5 years.

Croft won't see a snap this year. Would be dumb to burn his rs

Top Bottom