IU coach Kevin Wilson sticks it to a couple of radio *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s

as for future gigs, i'm sure he'd find something as an assistant coach/oc based on his track record at oklahoma, but if he ever wound up in the media and had someone call in like he did today, i think his response would be the same as jack trudeau's.

First of all, he won't end up in the media unless he wants to, because he has job skills that last beyond age 35. Do you really think "morning radio host on a sports station in Indianapolis" is what Trudeau aspires to? Do you think that's what he wants to be doing with his life? I guarantee there's nothing else Wilson would rather be doing (I'm sure he'd rather be doing that same job at someplace other than Indiana, but the point still stands.)

Secondly, I guarantee he wouldn't treat guests like that if he were in the media, because he knows how hard it is to build programs up from nothing, actually having helped to do so himself. He knows that coaches don't need to make jackwagon nobody media empty suits to make their jobs harder than they already are.

i'm pretty sure you don't know who jack trudeau is. he took the illini to the rosebowl in the eighties, was a second round nfl draft pick and played 10 seasons in the nfl. i'd argue that he's more accomplished than kevin wilson is, though i think being a head coach in the big ten is highly notable.

Oh please. I'm very well aware of who Jack Trudeau *was*. He *was* once somebody, even if it was a marginal somebody. Now, he *is* a nobody. Prior to this incident, when do you think was the last time someone who doesn't know him personally had his name pass across their lips? Exactly.

He was defending his team. I don't think he gives a damn, and rightfully so, what the media thinks or has to say. I bet that the men with IU on their helmets liked what they heard and thats all that matters.

That defies logic. If he didn't give a damn what the media says or thinks, then why would he have reacted so negatively towards their comments? It clearly upset him. If he didn't give a damn (and he shouldn't because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what the two yahoos think), then he'd have just had fun with them back. Why not poke fun at Trudeau a little and say in a joking way - 'yeah, but we hung 61 on your Illini when I was at Northwestern, so we're even.' (ha ha ha, laugh a little) and then move on with the interview, tell them how great of a coach you are, and how excited you are for the future of IU football?

Instead of coming across like he doesn't care what they think, he came across as insecure and childish, IMHO.

And, that doesn't mean these two radio guys were in the right, either. They weren't, either.

I guarantee he wouldn't treat guests like that if he were in the media, because he knows how hard it is to build programs up from nothing, actually having helped to do so himself.

How can you guarantee us how Wilson would treat anyone? You've already admitted you know very little about Wilson as a person. Just because the guy can coach football doesn't mean he will treat people well. In fact, there are a lot of high level football coaches who treat almost everyone like crap.

tj, are you in the media? Simple yes or no answer please.

Just a point of clarification: We don't know that these guys asked Wilson to be on the show.

It's very possible that someone in the IU athletic department offered up Wilson to be on the show. IU certainly wants to increase the visibility of their football program in the state's largest city. They want to sell tickets, build momentum, etc.

My feeling on this: There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides on this one. Both Wilson and the hosts acted like jerks.

And while IU fans on message boards might think their coach "put these guys in their place," I can guarantee you that there are people in the administration that aren't happy about this. While these hosts might be jokers and the station might be a bunch of jokers, they clearly have listeners. They want their message out there and that might be difficult to get done with this media outlet for a while.

Look man I'm not telling you "You're wrong". What I'm saying is he stood up for something that he feels passionate about and he did so in a manner that shows he doesn't care what the media or anyone outside of the team has to say about him as a result. He stuck up for the kids that are going to be putting that jersey for him in the fall.

Coaches aren't out to impress the media. Their job is to inspire the kids that play for them. He isn't the first coach to have a bad relationship with the media and won't be the last.

He was sticking up for Indiana football not trying to fend off a personal attack. He's showing pride in a subject that the hosts were trying to make a mockery of.

By the way, I'm not saying I agree with his actions but I can see where he's coming from.

Look man I'm not telling you "You're wrong". What I'm saying is he stood up for something that he feels passionate about and he did so in a manner that shows he doesn't care what the media or anyone outside of the has to say about him as a result. He stuck up for the kids that are going to be putting that jersey for him in the fall.

Coaches aren't out to impress the media. Their job is to inspire the kids that play for them. He isn't the first coach to have a bad relationship with the media and won't be the last.

He was sticking up for Indiana football not trying to fend off a personal attack. He's showing pride in a subject that the hosts were trying to make a mockery of.

By the way, I'm not saying I agree with his actions but I can see where he's coming from.

Exactly. I like how he reacted because it showed passion. I can't speak for the kids at UI, but if I'm on the team, I would have LOVED that he reacted the way he did. And it gives me more motivation to go to work for the man.

Yes, he could have acted differently. He certainly sounds like he needs to work on his people skills. He probably needs a lesson from Coach Kill in how to turn local media into friends from being enemies (we all know how much the local media here hated the Gophs during the late Mason and Brew eras).

I think calling Coach Wilson's actions childish isn't accurate in the least bit. Unpolished, yes. Rough around the edges, yes. Childish? In the words of Chad Ochocino, "Child please!"

Trudeau knows a little bit, but this Zakk character is a total waste. Can't believe he's got a major radio gig.

Exactly. Frankly, I'd be a little concerned if I were the IU AD. If the guy I just hired and hasn't even coached a game yet, responded to this little bit of sarcasm in this way, then how will he be handling things when inevitably he's sitting at about 1-and-5 in the Big Ten on November 1st? It could get ugly fast if that's his normal defense mechanism.
yeah, it reminds me a bit of how brewster antagonized the kfan staff to the point they wouldn't talk gopher football (not that they really did before). i'm guessing the indy market is pretty similar to mpls so there aren't really that many bridges to burn.

Exactly. I like how he reacted because it showed passion. I can't speak for the kids at UI, but if I'm on the team, I would have LOVED that he reacted the way he did. And it gives me more motivation to go to work for the man.

Yes, he could have acted differently. He certainly sounds like he needs to work on his people skills. He probably needs a lesson from Coach Kill in how to turn local media into friends from being enemies (we all know how much the local media here hated the Gophs during the late Mason and Brew eras).

I think calling Coach Wilson's actions childish isn't accurate in the least bit. Unpolished, yes. Rough around the edges, yes. Childish? In the words of Chad Ochocino, "Child please!"

if that's passion, i'm very pasionate when stuck in traffic and pre-coffee in the am. c'mon, seriously?

Kevin Wilson can't be so thin skinned. Whether it is right or wrong, it comes with the job. Dealing with idiots like the two DJs is just part of being a football coach. I do think he could have handled it quite a bit better. I don't think you want to get into the "us against the world" kind of thinking right off the bat.

That said, Trudeau came off like an arrogant loud mouth. Kevin Wilson's chances of success would never be improved or diminished by whether or not Trudeau likes him. He was talking about his approval like he would knight Kevin Wilson as a legitimate Big 10 football coach.

Depends on your frame of reference

Trudeau knows a little bit, but this Zakk character is a total waste. Can't believe he's got a major radio gig.

Someone in Indy listening to a podcast of KFAN would probably say the same thing about most of the rubes on the airwaves up here. Chad Hartman in particular. This whole exchange reminds me of the adage "don't argue with people who buy ink by the barrel." Same thing with radio. The clown with the mike always gets the last word.

Noone came off looking good (or even adultish) in this interview. As others have noted, Coach Wilson shouldn't be antagonizing the media before the opening kickoff. And these two announcers are azzclowns. Trudeau makes Mike Morris look humble.

First of all, he won't end up in the media unless he wants to, because he has job skills that last beyond age 35. Do you really think "morning radio host on a sports station in Indianapolis" is what Trudeau aspires to? Do you think that's what he wants to be doing with his life? I guarantee there's nothing else Wilson would rather be doing (I'm sure he'd rather be doing that same job at someplace other than Indiana, but the point still stands.)

Secondly, I guarantee he wouldn't treat guests like that if he were in the media, because he knows how hard it is to build programs up from nothing, actually having helped to do so himself. He knows that coaches don't need to make jackwagon nobody media empty suits to make their jobs harder than they already are.

Oh please. I'm very well aware of who Jack Trudeau *was*. He *was* once somebody, even if it was a marginal somebody. Now, he *is* a nobody. Prior to this incident, when do you think was the last time someone who doesn't know him personally had his name pass across their lips? Exactly.

so his football coaching skills would translate into just about any arena? kind of like managing an nfl huddle?

which is a better job, assuming salaries are equal: talking sports every day on the radio or being quartback coach at tcu? personally, i think they'd both be great gigs. by your estimation, any player who no longer is active would need to defer to kevin wilson if he came on his radio show because wilson is still in the game, and therefore somebody. an hour after posting that, do you still agree with yourself?

wilson showed no sense of humor - he should have made a crack about the illini being a football juggernaut and put trudeau on the defensive. it's possible to give back and not be an arse.

if that's passion, i'm very pasionate when stuck in traffic and pre-coffee in the am. c'mon, seriously?

Did you read cj's post? He elaborated pretty damn well how that's passion more so than a child throwing a fit.

which is a better job, assuming salaries are equal: talking sports every day on the radio or being quartback coach at tcu? personally, i think they'd both be great gigs.

Yes, they would both be great gigs. But they don't pay the same salaries. That's the thing. I don't know if Trudeau wants to be in coaching, but it's pretty safe to assume he'd rather have a job where he makes seven figures than one where he makes high five/low six, at best.

by your estimation, any player who no longer is active would need to defer to kevin wilson if he came on his radio show because wilson is still in the game, and therefore somebody. an hour after posting that, do you still agree with yourself?

No, not any player. We're not talking about Jerry Rice or Peyton Manning. We're talking about Jack f'in Trudeau.

wilson showed no sense of humor - he should have made a crack about the illini being a football juggernaut and put trudeau on the defensive. it's possible to give back and not be an arse.

I posted virtually these exact sentiments earlier in the thread. There's no doubt that all three are at fault, but Wilson was put on the defensive from the get-go. You can say he reacted poorly (and I agree), but he should've never been put in that position in the first place.

Here's what it boils down to. Those two jackwagons, and Trudeau in particular, think they're equals (if not superior) with Wilson, when in reality they are nothings and nobodies. They think he should consider himself lucky to be on their show, when in reality, they should consider themselves lucky that he took time out of his schedule, during the busiest time of the year no less, to grace them with his presence. Kevin Wilson makes more in a month than those guys make in a year - easy. He may or may not succeed at Indiana, but if he does fail, his skills and experience will be highly in demand and he will get another lucrative, demanding job within a matter of days. If these two knobgoblins do something stupid and get fired, they will be bagging groceries somewhere in their next job. Learn your place and be respectful of those who are your superior. I know very little about Kevin Wilson or who he is as a person, but there is no doubt that he is their superior in every sense of the word.

Are you serious? Wilson is superior to these guys because he makes more money? Wow, get a clue on what's important in life. Money? Really?

Would you invite a local dignitary (let's say, the Governor of Minnesota) to your house, and then open the inside door, making them stand out on your front deck/stoop/porch/etc., while yelling at them through your screen door, telling them everything they've done wrong in their term, and then, when you're done, invite them in for some pie and coffee?

Does that sound like normal behavior? Does that sound like being a good host? Because that's basically what this is.

Actually it's completely different, but nice try.

In real life, I've worked in radio for 25 years. I've done thousands of interviews, ranging from athletes (Mike Ditka, Richard Petty), to politicians (governors, us senators, congressmen) and other celebrities (Ralph Nader, astronaut Scott Carpenter).

In my professional opinion, unless you're a total jerk, you DO NOT lead into an interview by insulting or making fun of the guest. First, you try to make the guest feel welcome, then you try to establish some rapport - and then, if you want, you can try to get into some "tough" questions. I've read the transcript of the Wilson interview, and the hosts, for all practical purposes, said "Indiana Football sucks - now, here's the Indiana football coach."

I don't blame Wilson for feeling ambushed. Granted, he may not have a lot of experience in dealing with the media - at least not to the level a head coach has to deal with - but
the radio hosts were, in my opinion, unprofessional and childish. Sure, some interviews are going to go bad on you - I was interviewing a musician one time, and he got pissed at me when I referred to him as a "folk singer." he spent the rest of the interview lecturing me about using labels to pigeonhole people. I could have argued back, but I let him finish his rant and escaped to fight another day.

I've also heard Trudeau on the radio on other occasions, and he definitely comes off like someone who loves staring at himself in the mirror.

Anyway, that's my take from someone who knows a little about radio.

Are you serious? Wilson is superior to these guys because he makes more money? Wow, get a clue on what's important in life. Money? Really?

You are right in that money doesn't make one person more 'superior' over another.

But where in dpo's post did he make that specific claim? I took it as Wilson has a more prestigious job than the radio guys, in a better position to succeed in his career in a bigger way than they could in radio.

The RADIO guys were CORRECT. Wilson sounded like a total dou che. The "jokes" they cracked were actually fairly harmless, and dead accurate. They said nothing bad at all about Wilson before he came on, and Wilson had zero need to defend his predecessors as if they were his heroes. The radio guys really had no option but to save their own face after that. They tried to help Wilson promote his program and he was a complete ass to them. 'Thanks for nothing, coach, so here's how we're going to treat you from now on, big guy!'

Wilson needs the media a LOT more than they need him.

The media DO affect sports programs, however. Sometimes coaches need to flirt with the media a bit.

Here's what it boils down to. Those two jackwagons, and Trudeau in particular, think they're equals (if not superior) with Wilson, when in reality they are nothings and nobodies. They think he should consider himself lucky to be on their show, when in reality, they should consider themselves lucky that he took time out of his schedule, during the busiest time of the year no less, to grace them with his presence. Kevin Wilson makes more in a month than those guys make in a year - easy. He may or may not succeed at Indiana, but if he does fail, his skills and experience will be highly in demand and he will get another lucrative, demanding job within a matter of days. If these two knobgoblins do something stupid and get fired, they will be bagging groceries somewhere in their next job. Learn your place and be respectful of those who are your superior. I know very little about Kevin Wilson or who he is as a person, but there is no doubt that he is their superior in every sense of the word.

+1

Learn your place and be respectful of those who are your superior. I know very little about Kevin Wilson or who he is as a person, but there is no doubt that he is their superior in every sense of the word.

Partially agree. I don't agree with the "learn your place and be respectful of those who are your superior." A lot of people are worried about not getting respect because of what they perceive as being superior. Just be respectful and respect will be returned, regardless of your job. So far, Jerry Kill has done a great job of this. While I agree the radio hosts were boobs, Wilson came off as trying to be superior. He could and should do better as a coach of a major university.

Someone in Indy listening to a podcast of KFAN would probably say the same thing about most of the rubes on the airwaves up here. Chad Hartman in particular. This whole exchange reminds me of the adage "don't argue with people who buy ink by the barrel." Same thing with radio. The clown with the mike always gets the last word.

Noone came off looking good (or even adultish) in this interview. As others have noted, Coach Wilson shouldn't be antagonizing the media before the opening kickoff. And these two announcers are azzclowns. Trudeau makes Mike Morris look humble.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about the exchange between Wilson and Zakk and Jack. I guess my point is that I've listened to their show while driving around (can't remember whether it's ESPN, Fox or Sporting News radio that carries them locally) and this Zakk clown is just miserable to listen to. Doesn't know crap about crap. It would be different if he were marginally entertaining, but he's not. All he does is try to play the controversial, simple-minded "fanatic" angle and then have Trudeau talk him back to reality.

In real life, I've worked in radio for 25 years. I've done thousands of interviews, ranging from athletes (Mike Ditka, Richard Petty), to politicians (governors, us senators, congressmen) and other celebrities (Ralph Nader, astronaut Scott Carpenter).

In my professional opinion, unless you're a total jerk, you DO NOT lead into an interview by insulting or making fun of the guest. First, you try to make the guest feel welcome, then you try to establish some rapport - and then, if you want, you can try to get into some "tough" questions. I've read the transcript of the Wilson interview, and the hosts, for all practical purposes, said "Indiana Football sucks - now, here's the Indiana football coach."

I don't blame Wilson for feeling ambushed. Granted, he may not have a lot of experience in dealing with the media - at least not to the level a head coach has to deal with - but
the radio hosts were, in my opinion, unprofessional and childish. Sure, some interviews are going to go bad on you - I was interviewing a musician one time, and he got pissed at me when I referred to him as a "folk singer." he spent the rest of the interview lecturing me about using labels to pigeonhole people. I could have argued back, but I let him finish his rant and escaped to fight another day.

I've also heard Trudeau on the radio on other occasions, and he definitely comes off like someone who loves staring at himself in the mirror.

Anyway, that's my take from someone who knows a little about radio.

Thank you. This is the expectation I have around listening to a radio station.

I'm positive I've heard both of those hosts nationally on Fox. I don't think it was a good idea for Wilson to get defensive like that. A lot more people heard that "interview" than he may think. I don't respect those radio hosts for going off on the guy after they hung up on him though. That's not fair. No on comes out looking good after that train wreck.

Kind of off topic, but don't you think just a little bit that Kevin Wilson = Tim Brewster? I just looked up his background and noticed his only head coaching experience was going 0-10 for his old High School in North Carolina. Ouch. Otherwise his whole career has been the assistant for solid coaches and programs. It also seems (so far) he's a pretty good recruiter, sound familiar, by picking up Gunner Kiel and a pretty solid 2012 class so far. But since he's been on campus he's already had two meltdowns and the local Indy press is already turning on him a little. Maybe they made a bad hire?

the radio hosts were, in my opinion, unprofessional and childish. Sure, some interviews are going to go bad on you

This is right-on.

Top Bottom