It's Official: Fulda the Hutt Tabs Brewster as 2009 Turkey

I like that he leads with something that can be concretely disproven (OPS is unimportant, runs is the real gauge)

Frankly, it's hard to blame him. He was the most deserving this year. Still when you look at the list of past winners, there's many who went on to great success after winning. Maybe Brew can do it too.

Not even a peep of the new Wolves GM in his column? The guy took a team with nowhere to go but up and sank them improbably lower.

Reusse is an a$shole. His writing is slipping so he may not be around too much longer as that has to be the worst turkey column ever. He wasted half the column on his buy-out spoof which wasn't funny. Moreover, he doesn't mention any specifics about Brewster. Just that he is a blow-hard.

I guess Gopher football coach can be turkey of the year every year if 6-6 against a strong schedule gets you the title.

I also thought Whaley being mentioned was a cheap shot. Why not mention the others (White, Mbakwe, Tow-Arnett, Maresh)? Oh yeah because they are local and he would have offended readers.

Not even a peep of the new Wolves GM in his column? The guy took a team with nowhere to go but up and sank them improbably lower.

That would have been the equivalent of giving Brewster the award in 2007. If you're upset he's getting it now, I imagine you'd have thought it was a tad unfair then?

You should cut and paste rather than posting a link. I don't want to give that a-hole any clicks.

Reusse is an a$shole. His writing is slipping so he may not be around too much longer as that has to be the worst turkey column ever. He wasted half the column on his buy-out spoof which wasn't funny. Moreover, he doesn't mention any specifics about Brewster. Just that he is a blow-hard.

I guess Gopher football coach can be turkey of the year every year if 6-6 against a strong schedule gets you the title.

I also thought Whaley being mentioned was a cheap shot. Why not mention the others (White, Mbakwe, Tow-Arnett, Maresh)? Oh yeah because they are local and he would have offended readers.

Whatever makes you feel better. It's no different then any turkey column in the last 10 years. Some attempts at topical schtick and more column devoted to the runners up then the winner. I seem to recall some columns ending with the winner and no explanation. You can like it or not, but don't delude yourself into the 'he's slipping and surely they'll fire him soon' bit just because you don't like him or his obvious choice this year.

That would have been the equivalent of giving Brewster the award in 2007. If you're upset he's getting it now, I imagine you'd have thought it was a tad unfair then?
Don't care one way or another. Not a real award, mind you, just an opinion. Brewster deserves it for the way he's handled this season. Just not sure why the only mention of the Wolves was a shot at their poor attendance. They're rippable, this is worse than the Scott Roth, Tod Murphy era.

I think the two hockey clubs are more deserving than Brew. Last time I checked Minnesota was not the State of Football.

How does that clown still have a job at the Strib? Could he be more of a hack?

So Mason was 10-3 the year he got the turkey? So the three most successful coaches in 30 years at the U get the turkey and Salem, Gutey, and Wacker get lumped into 25 years of Golden Gopher Football?

I feel like I'm in high school again with the immaturity that Reusse keeps spewing. Just shows what type of (journalist? columnist?) Strib employee you really are when EVERYTHING is about kicking people when they are down.

It's pathetic really, especially when your newspaper is supposed to be attracting subscribers instead of making it oil and water for a lot of people.

Some people take Reusse (or sports columnists in general) far too seriously.

The Turkey column is a 30 year (or so) tradition...not everyone will agree with who should win but it's typically a parting shot for the year to someone (or some organization) that does something deserving of such honor. More often than not, the award is pretty accurate for that particular year.

BTW, Mason in '03 got it for the cupcake schedule that season (and it was incredibly soft) despite winning 9 games in the regular season (10 w/ bowl).

Gee, I wonder why Brewster dislikes Reusse so much??? Now if Brewster were to fight back by calling him Fat Pat, then who would be wrong? Brewster of course, because he is has to be held to a higher standard. Which means sports columnists are not held to any standard. People all over the state are snickering today, gloating in the embarrrassment of this award. These people are not fans of the Golden Gophers. Period.

great minds think alike. wasn't this predicted by a GH contributor?

EVERYBODY who listened to or read Ruesse knew this was coming. Within days of Brewster's arriving Ruesse ripped Brewster. That is when Brewster famously asked Dark Star (one of Ruesse's best friends) "who IS this guy?"

That being said I usually look forward to the Turkey Awards. This year I'm going to NOT enjoy all the "did you read Ruesse's Turkeys" questions, otherwise it's okay.

All that being said, take a look at the past winners, Wood Hayes, Bobby Knight, George Steinbrenner, Lou Holtz, Randy Moss etc. Many of them were very successful but got the award for being perceived as being kind of "dicks".

If Brewster gets that kind of success but a lot of people don't like him:

I can certainly live with that!:clap::clap::clap:

Happy Thanksgiving!

It was good. The feud is still on, and Reusse is chuckling all day. Reusse knows that unlike most years when the national winners (Charlie Weiss, Kerri Strug, etc) don't ever find out they won it and local winners just shrug it off, this year Patrick knows the winner is fuming mad. To have been a fly on the wall when Tim Brewster got word of the honor and read the results would have been priceless. The best line was the subtle dig at the end pointing to getting him the award this year before he's out of town- ala Monson was really a below the belt shot and made-up for naming an obvious choice.

One surprise was letting the Gopher Basketball legal issues slip, but mentioning Whaley's scraps with the law.

It was good. The feud is still on, and Reusse is chuckling all day. Reusse knows that unlike most years when the national winners (Charlie Weiss, Kerri Strug, etc) don't ever find out they won it and local winners just shrug it off, this year Patrick knows the winner is fuming mad. To have been a fly on the wall when Tim Brewster got word of the honor and read the results would have been priceless. The best line was the subtle dig at the end pointing to getting him the award this year before he's out of town- ala Monson was really a below the belt shot and made-up for naming an obvious choice.

One surprise was letting the Gopher Basketball legal issues slip, but mentioning Whaley's scraps with the law.

So you think this was a surprise to anybody including Brewster?:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::drink:

I have read Reusse's TOY articles for many years, and I just acknowledge those articles as sarcasm and humor.

In fact, I think he adds great humor to the Strib.

Relax and treat those articles as something to enjoy through his sarcasm.

I really doubt it bothers or surprised Brewster. To put in another context, Doogie was able to predict it.

So you think this was a surprise to anybody including Brewster?:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::drink:

I think you might have been the only person expecting it going to Brewster. Reusse typically tries to avoid the obvious and I assumed The Charlie Weiss honor was in fact really Brewster.

I have read Reusse's TOY articles for many years, and I just acknowledge those articles as sarcasm and humor.

In fact, I think he adds great humor to the Strib.

Relax and treat those articles as something to enjoy through his sarcasm.

I agree with most of that. Not really a surprise that Brewster was picked.

On another note, I'm up here at my parent's house and looked at the Star Tribune this morning. No wonder their sales are way down. Does anyone actually proof read the thing? I found two big mistakes just on one page: a headline says the Badgers beat Maryland in basketball, then below it shows the score with Maryland winning by 20+. Then they show the Big Ten football stats. Did you guys realize that every team in the Big Ten allows less than 150 yards of passing per game? One team (maybe Ohio St.?) allows around 4 yards of passing a game. Increadible!

Maybe it's because we get the outstate version, but still, that's terrible. Even many of the pages were faded.

I can't wait until 2017 when 50 years of Golden Gophers football wins the Turkey of the Year. It can go in the trophy case with the '92 award. There will be plenty of room.

Pretty lonely for you on thanksgiving? Talking smack on a gopher board months after the last time the teams even met.

I really doubt it bothers or surprised Brewster.

you clearly know nothing about brew. he not only reads every word written about him, but he obsesses about it. that's one of his biggest issues, he lets all this stuff get to him way too much, and he spends too much time on it, instead of just worrying about his team and coaching.

I have hereby open nominations for Reusse's 2010 TOY award. I nominate Pat Reusse.

Top Bottom