It's Not That Complicated

jamiche

Reaction score
In the last decade all of us have suffered and we have spent a lot of time over analyzing this thing that we love so much called gopher basketball. Last night at the game a "close personal friend" said that we are getting sixty percent of Tubby, which is probably about true. That led to the following little epiphany, for what it is worth:

The gophers don't have first division Big Ten talent, not even close. The gophers don't have a coach who can get the players to exceed their talent level. (Many programs do have that.) The program needs both better talent and better coaching. That's it.

I'd like to think comments that don't contribute to anything also don't need their own thread.

I like how everyone seems to think they know how much effort Tubby is giving.

Maybe your close personal friend should try coaching.

I like how everyone seems to think they know how much effort Tubby is giving.

The perception exists fairly widely. There's a way to change it. Win big once. At this point I'll redefine "big" into Minnesota terms: Finish in 5th place or better.

In the last decade all of us have suffered and we have spent a lot of time over analyzing this thing that we love so much called gopher basketball. Last night at the game a "close personal friend" said that we are getting sixty percent of Tubby, which is probably about true. That led to the following little epiphany, for what it is worth:

The gophers don't have first division Big Ten talent, not even close. The gophers don't have a coach who can get the players to exceed their talent level. (Many programs do have that.) The program needs both better talent and better coaching. That's it.

and that close personal friend is?

A regular on the board.

I think we would all agree that Tubby appears to be pretty passive on the sideline.

A regular on the board.

I think we would all agree that Tubby appears to be pretty passive on the sideline.
I have no problem with a coach being passive on the sideline. Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with that?

I can't believe Tubby didn't get a T last night. Just once get worked up like Izzo or Ryan please. I can't stand their constant harping, but it works. And not only that it might be nice to show your players you are behind them once in a while. There were two especially awful calls last night on Oto and EE where they literally did nothing wrong, didn't even make contact in EE's case. Does Tubby flip out and get on the refs like almost every other coach? No. He just did the now patented hands in the air look of disbelief.

As much as I hate it, working the refs is now a big part of college coaching apparently. It would be nice if our coach took part. Might fire the players up too.

Maybe Tubby doesn't risk a technical because he doesn't trust his assistant coaches to coach the rest of the game without him? Just a thought.

I have no problem with a coach being passive on the sideline. Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with that?

Yes and no. I tend to agree with you, but the fact of the matter is that it looks bad. When we're in the middle of a 0-20 run and the camera shows Tubby just sitting in his chair with a blank look on his face, that looks really bad to the casual fan.

The coach can come out on a stretcher and lay there the whole game if the team consistently wins and I won't care. But if the team is losing and it looks like the coach is sitting at the opera I'm not happy.

HE has "yes men" for assistants. He doesn't fund raise for the practice facility...we owe it to him. He loses players because it is a right to play for Tubby and you should feel privileged to ply for him. Don't like it? Leave. Recruiting? I'll recruit a few guys and if I lose out, I'll wait until spring and sign some leftovers. After a loss? Blame the kids. I coached them up, but they didn't listen. They didn't foul after I told them too. They didn't press after I told them too. Yadda yadda yadda. This is our coach. Our highly compensated coach. Yep, let's extend him now before he teases with Oregon, Virginia, Arkansas or whoever is next.

minngg = Maybe I'm Not Needed at Gopher Games

XMan = Can't argue with the post so I will attack the poster.

Maybe Tubby doesn't risk a technical because he doesn't trust his assistant coaches to coach the rest of the game without him? Just a thought.
And an interesting thought at that...but last night I would have liked to see him give it a go. Enough was going on that could have warranted a creative tantrum which just may have lit the much needed fire. And if not, well college hoops are after all, entertainment.

GoodasGold said:
And an interesting thought at that...but last night I would have liked to see him give it a go. Enough was going on that could have warranted a creative tantrum which just may have lit the much needed fire. And if not, well college hoops are after all, entertainment.

Everyone screams for tubby to get T'd up. Until he does and we lose the game by 2 from the technical shots. That'd be my guess why he doesn't do it. It can come back to bite you.

That sad, he could push the envelope a little more.

Maybe he should yank himself from the sideline the way he yanks some of his players after one mistake.

First time poster, long time reader.....

I am a first year season ticket holder for both Basketball and Football. With Gopher basketball being my favorite team since the early 90’s and just new to the football scene (I got the tickets for the atmosphere) I am a lot more positive with the football team than I am with the basketball team. The main reason is because of the coaches. (This is not a fire Tubby Comment)

Kill seems to take on a lot more responsibility for his team’s performance on field than Tubby does. Kill will admit after games that he and his coaching staff need to do a better job putting his players in positions to be successful. He will also praise both the players and his coaching staff when they have done a good job.
I don’t see this happening with the basketball program. After games I see a coach who is very frustrated with his players execution on the court but rarely takes any blame for it. The only time I heard Tubby take accountability for his coaching decisions is after the season. He said that he regretted moving Blake to the point guard position.

No, I don’t want Tubby fired. But I would like him to be more positive both in the media and on the sidelines when he is coaching especially with such a young team. I think this would help out in the players’ execution on the court, with recruiting, putting a positive spin on the seat selection process, and with fundraising for a practice facility.

First time poster, long time reader.....

I am a first year season ticket holder for both Basketball and Football. With Gopher basketball being my favorite team since the early 90’s and just new to the football scene (I got the tickets for the atmosphere) I am a lot more positive with the football team than I am with the basketball team. The main reason is because of the coaches. (This is not a fire Tubby Comment)

Kill seems to take on a lot more responsibility for his team’s performance on field than Tubby does. Kill will admit after games that he and his coaching staff need to do a better job putting his players in positions to be successful. He will also praise both the players and his coaching staff when they have done a good job.
I don’t see this happening with the basketball program. After games I see a coach who is very frustrated with his players execution on the court but rarely takes any blame for it. The only time I heard Tubby take accountability for his coaching decisions is after the season. He said that he regretted moving Blake to the point guard position.

No, I don’t want Tubby fired. But I would like him to be more positive both in the media and on the sidelines when he is coaching especially with such a young team. I think this would help out in the players’ execution on the court, with recruiting, putting a positive spin on the seat selection process, and with fundraising for a practice facility.

Kill publicly stated how shocked he was at how poor the talent was on the team and how they needed to recruit faster guys throughout the year.

Kill publicly stated how shocked he was at how poor the talent was on the team and how they needed to recruit faster guys throughout the year.
One of the first times he watched them play, he threw a fit.

Why would he say that after Brewster great ranked recruiting classes?

minngg said:

To lower his own expectations obviously. How do you convince the fan base that a loss to new Mexico state is okay? Talk about how awful the team is.

I love coach Kill. He coaches my favorite football team. But he has an agenda just like any other coach. Brewster raised expectations, Tubby did too (not like brew though, tubby's was assumed by many fans because he was tubby smith) and both paid dearly for it. Coach Kill has talked about how awful the football team is and therefore he was rewarded by fans and media being okay with a 3-9 season. Tubby came in and immediately turned around a below average basketball team and he deserves to be fired. Brewster promised rose bowls and didn't deliver. Tubby talked program potential and backed it up with 3 very good seasons.

You are completely missing the point, or not surprisingly, making your own to fit your agenda. I assume you are talking about the 2008 Brewster class, the only class (not classes) ranked in the upper half of the Big 10. Brewster's downfall had nothing to do with his most successful recruiting class.

This one conflicts me. I really think Tubby needed to protect Colt his last two years because the refs were brutal to him. However, I find the sideline behaviour of Ryan despicable. In my perfect world, coaches would get kicked out everytime they go nuts on a ref and T's should be cumulative leading to supsensions. It shows no class and sets a bad example that being an a**hole works. Believe me, this behaviour trickles down and affects athletics at a much lower level.

What if that's NOT it? What if this IS all of his ability, and this is all it can achieve?

To lower his own expectations obviously. How do you convince the fan base that a loss to new Mexico state is okay? Talk about how awful the team is.

I love coach Kill. He coaches my favorite football team. But he has an agenda just like any other coach. Brewster raised expectations, Tubby did too (not like brew though, tubby's was assumed by many fans because he was tubby smith) and both paid dearly for it. Coach Kill has talked about how awful the football team is and therefore he was rewarded by fans and media being okay with a 3-9 season. Tubby came in and immediately turned around a below average basketball team and he deserves to be fired. Brewster promised rose bowls and didn't deliver. Tubby talked program potential and backed it up with 3 very good seasons.

Very good seasons defined as 6th, 7th and 6th in the Big Ten. Tubby said in January, "we are contenders, not pretenders". How is this different than Brewster's BS?

You are completely missing the point, or not surprisingly, making your own to fit your agenda. I assume you are talking about the 2008 Brewster class, the only class (not classes) ranked in the upper half of the Big 10. Brewster's downfall had nothing to do with his most successful recruiting class.

Was the talent in Brewsters highly ranked class really top half talent in the Big Ten? How many NFL players did it produce?

minngg said:
Was the talent in Brewsters highly ranked class really top half talent in the Big Ten? How many NFL players did it produce?

Quite a few have actually found homes on NFL rosters. There is a post on the football board summarizing this.

However, a good recruiting class means
Nothing if you can't coach. Brewster's class was very good, but he had no clue how to coach them.

Top Bottom