Itayvion Brown in Transfer Portal

Well that’s disappointing. Good luck to him.

Was he a Redshirt, or did he just not play?

I wonder if he wasn't able to become academically eligible here after one year, so he's transferring to potentially find a place where he can be?

The story on 247 mentions off-field transgressions. Doesn't go into detail but story makes it seem like that is part of why he is in the portal. Always disappointing when top rated recruits don't pan out for one reason or another but it does happen.

Son of a B...was hoping to see him on the field a lot more this year.

I have no idea, what the transgressions might have been, sometimes things just don't work out. Hopefully he'll find a landing spot that's a good fit, get everything together and have a good life.

The story on 247 mentions off-field transgressions. Doesn't go into detail but story makes it seem like that is part of why he is in the portal. Always disappointing when top rated recruits don't pan out for one reason or another but it does happen.
I think Fleck decided pretty quick after some incidents at WMU that he would have a very short leash with off field issues.

I'm impressed. Not one post about how he's been passed on the depth chart or didn't see playing time in his future with all the talented incoming recruits.

That said... good luck to the young man.

I do remember all the hype when he signed, and was one of the highest rated at the time.
Edit: Was highest rated on Rivals and second highest on 24/7.

Last edited:

I wonder if he wasn't able to become academically eligible here after one year, so he's transferring to potentially find a place where he can be?
Unfortunately this is probably it. School is simply not easy for many. Don't doubt he spent much time in study halls trying to catch up and or maintain and probably exhausting doing so.

I wish him the best. I would have love to have seen him play.

I think Fleck decided pretty quick after some incidents at WMU that he would have a very short leash with off field issues.
Will be interesting to see if any additional details surface as to what those off-field transgressions might have been.

We have no way of knowing where he was on the depth chart or if he would have been a factor for us in 2021 or beyond. But it is a bummer when the top rated guys on paper in recruiting classes don't pan out.

You have to respect PJ on this one. He is very clear that he is not shaping these young men just as football players, but also academically, socially and spiritually. We all know there are tons of coaches who would look the other way for the right amount of talent. PJ is at least sticking to what he has always preached.

Wish the young man the best, but I'm all in on building our program around guys that want to buy in on all levels.

You have to respect PJ on this one. He is very clear that he is not shaping these young men just as football players, but also academically, socially and spiritually. We all know there are tons of coaches who would look the other way for the right amount of talent. PJ is at least sticking to what he has always preached.

Wish the young man the best, but I'm all in on building our program around guys that want to buy in on all levels.
Absolutely impossible to know if PJ should be lauded or criticized. He did evaluate and recruit the player. Now after one year he is gone.
Who is letting who down? Some kids are harder to coach than others but if you made commitment to him than you need to find a way to help the kid succeed.
No idea, but again lauding PJ and making it all on the player shouldn’t be automatic with no information.
Hopefully, it all works out for him.

Absolutely impossible to know if PJ should be lauded or criticized. He did evaluate and recruit the player. Now after one year he is gone.
Who is letting who down? Some kids are harder to coach than others but if you made commitment to him than you need to find a way to help the kid succeed.
No idea, but again lauding PJ and making it all on the player shouldn’t be automatic with no information.
Hopefully, it all works out for him.

Pretty sure there was information in this thread. Off the field transgressions and we know he was an academic redshirt last year. If a kid doesn't want to do his lifting in the classroom and also stay between the lines off the field, he is making a choice. Not sure it has anything to do with taking time to coach him. I'm sure PJ has a pretty good idea on which kids are going to align with the program within the first year. No coach hits 100% on their evaluations.

That sucks. Was excited for him to be a Gopher. I wish him well wherever he ends up. Maybe he withdraws like Curtis Dunlap Jr did. Otherwise I hope he dominates somewhere.

Pretty sure there was information in this thread. Off the field transgressions and we know he was an academic redshirt last year. If a kid doesn't want to do his lifting in the classroom and also stay between the lines off the field, he is making a choice. Not sure it has anything to do with taking time to coach him. I'm sure PJ has a pretty good idea on which kids are going to align with the program within the first year. No coach hits 100% on their evaluations.
Again, we have no idea what the situation is. But, if I sit in your living room and tell the parents I’m going to make your son a man you’ll be proud of. I’ll take care of him.
And then after a year he’s gone...why should PJ be praised?
That’s just blindly worshiping PJ. Yes, he does make mistakes.
Heck, this could be the best decision and clearly so...but not based on the information on here. It is gossip.
Pretty sure PJ knew he was an academic redshirt when he made the decision to recruit him.

Again, we have no idea what the situation is. But, if I sit in your living room and tell the parents I’m going to make your son a man you’ll be proud of. I’ll take care of him.
And then after a year he’s gone...why should PJ be praised?
That’s just blindly worshiping PJ. Yes, he does make mistakes.
Heck, this could be the best decision and clearly so...but not based on the information on here. It is gossip.
Pretty sure PJ knew he was an academic redshirt when he made the decision to recruit him.

Ah, I remember now. You are a real anti-PJ guy on here. I recall some of your other posts.

Ah, I remember now. You are a real anti-PJ guy on here. I recall some of your other posts.

Yep, I mean he is right that based on what is out there now we have no clue if Fleck should be praised for how he handled things.

But I am not surprised at all that 60's would be bothered by anyone even trying to give Fleck credit for something as he is still very much not a fan of our current head coach and probably never will be.

Top Bottom