Isaiah Ihnen has suffered another season-ending knee injury, the U said Monday.

Sorry but this is just bunk.

There is not a single recruit who meets minimum NCAA standards that Fleck or Johnson can't get admitted.

The U offers remedial classes.
Can they get some in after a ton of work and a waiver? Maybe, will it mean they are eligible? No. Our coaches are very cognizant of this and recruit certain individuals so they don’t find the battle. So no it’s not “bunk” when it is a reality in those schools. Don’t believe me if you want but I know others who’ve confirmed this.

Huh? If you meet minimum NCAA DI standards, then you're eligible to play for any NCAA DI member school.

If you're admitted, then you're admitted. There is no "partial admittance". You're in or you're not.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

Fox will definitely come back. 100%. He already implied it on Twitter to Ihnen and his lifelong dream is to play for the Gophers.

Tweets are not a contract and often people give up a particular dream as circumstances change. You're also assuming that Johnson & Company will want to risk a 3rd scholarship year on him.

Huh? If you meet minimum NCAA DI standards, then you're eligible to play for any NCAA DI member school.

If you're admitted, then you're admitted. There is no "partial admittance". You're in or you're not.

NCAA standards doesn’t mean they are the same as the university. Many kids meet D1 eligibility but don’t get admitted or are admitted under probation. Eligible on admittance? Sure if the waiver is passed, but they have different requirements to stay in school? Yes and it’s a headache. There is a reason why neither Fleck or Johnson pursue them, but it’s free reign over in the SEC and Texas. Again believe what you want, but this is factual.

Tweets are not a contract and often people give up a particular dream as circumstances change. You're also assuming that Johnson & Company will want to risk a 3rd scholarship year on him.

Ben isn't going to allow a kid to spend 2 seasons rehabbing injuries and never allow him to play for the team - especially when he was one of the first players to give Ben a shot. Imagine how bad that would look to other players and recruits.

Dang, just saw that Paige Bueckers just tore her ACL in summer workouts and is going to miss the season.

Is this something that is becoming more common in college basketball? Honestly don't follow other teams that much but don't recall a lot of people messing up their ACL in the past but clearly we have now had back to back season's with two guys going down in the summer and Bueckers going down is a massive loss for women's basketball.

This all centers on strengthening muscles around and reducing knee pain related to the patellar and quadriceps tendons. Agree that this is great stuff for that, and probably a lot of it or similar is already done in the program.

As far as I (or I believe anyone) know, there is no possible exercise that can be done to strengthen the inner knee ligaments or help prevent their tearing.

Improved stability in/around your knee helps prevent torn ligaments regardless of the strength of the ligaments themselves.

Improved stability in/around your knee helps prevent torn ligaments regardless of the strength of the ligaments themselves.
The day is coming where someone is going to figure out how to replace ACL and UCL ligaments with something that won't tear. Then there will be a debate on whether these synthetic ligaments are performance enhancers.....

Dang, just saw that Paige Bueckers just tore her ACL in summer workouts and is going to miss the season.

Is this something that is becoming more common in college basketball? Honestly don't follow other teams that much but don't recall a lot of people messing up their ACL in the past but clearly we have now had back to back season's with two guys going down in the summer and Bueckers going down is a massive loss for women's basketball.
I was just going to post this. Terrible, just Terrible.

They also took their lumps early and it took a little time to build that culture. It wasn’t instant. Also NIL just made their paying players legal. Texas and SEC schools are dirty.

Comparable programs imo would be Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia, etc…
LOL man you truly are a homer aren't you? It seems every school is dirty unless it is a BIG 10 school in your eyes.

I would love to get your take on how those big 10 schools you mention are comparable to TT or Arkansas?

Last edited:

LOL man you truly are a homer aren't you? It seems every school is dirty unless it is a BIG 10 school in your eyes.

I would love to get your take on how those big 10 schools you mention are comparable to TT or Arkansas?
I named 3 schools for us to compare to that don’t cheat. 2 B1G and 1 ACC. Don’t think it’s Homer to acknowledge that schools with similar demographics are the best comparisons. And yes SEC and Texas schools do cheat at a higher rate than here. That’s a fact. Then again I’m rebutting myself with a person who uses the name “RockChalk” and says Bill Self is clean. Look in the mirror

I named 3 schools for us to compare to that don’t cheat. 2 B1G and 1 ACC. Don’t think it’s Homer to acknowledge that schools with similar demographics are the best comparisons. And yes SEC and Texas schools do cheat at a higher rate than here. That’s a fact. Then again I’m rebutting myself with a person who uses the name “RockChalk” and says Bill Self is clean. Look in the mirror
I misunderstood in that I thought you were comparing the schools to TT & Arkansas and their winning culture.

There is a separate thread for Bill Self so I won't reply here.

That's just not true. Improved performance in all of the muscles around the joint - especially the smaller muscles that impact stability and overall balance - make the joint stronger. They may even help make an injury slightly less likely. It does not prevent a ligament injury.

Professional athletes train daily for years to strengthen these joints and still suffer ligament tears. Athletes can wear custom-fitted braces, they don't prevent ligament tears. Joints can only take so much force and can only bend in certain ways.

I've torn three ACLs (twice in one knee) that required four surgeries to fix. Some people are pre-disposed to ligament injuries. Science hasn't fully caught up to all the reasons; some people have weaker ligaments, some it's due to how their body is aligned when they move/run. Very often, when an athlete tears a ligament they will tear it again or tear the other due to overcompensation.

That's just not true. Improved performance in all of the muscles around the joint - especially the smaller muscles that impact stability and overall balance - make the joint stronger. They may even help make an injury slightly less likely. It does not prevent a ligament injury.

Professional athletes train daily for years to strengthen these joints and still suffer ligament tears. Athletes can wear custom-fitted braces, they don't prevent ligament tears. Joints can only take so much force and can only bend in certain ways.

I've torn three ACLs (twice in one knee) that required four surgeries to fix. Some people are pre-disposed to ligament injuries. Science hasn't fully caught up to all the reasons; some people have weaker ligaments, some it's due to how their body is aligned when they move/run. Very often, when an athlete tears a ligament they will tear it again or tear the other due to overcompensation.
We have bigger and taller dudes and gals moving quicker and faster all the time. The predisposition thing is so much more of a part of it than it gets credit for.

And it is not that hard to get into the U. The acceptance rates and standards are much tougher at several schools that have won at a high rate. The larger issue is do prospects fit what Ben is looking for on and off the court. My grand kids have friends at the U now that got in with less than A's and moderate test scores.

And it is not that hard to get into the U. The acceptance rates and standards are much tougher at several schools that have won at a high rate. The larger issue is do prospects fit what Ben is looking for on and off the court. My grand kids have friends at the U now that got in with less than A's and moderate test scores.
Didn’t say the U was harder than Stanford. It is harder than Houston and Texas Tech and we don’t just allow all athletes in like they do. That does matter and it wouldn’t fit what Ben wants anyways. It’s why he’s a fit for the job here, but not at other places. He cares and requires solid academics.

It sucks for the kid, but I don’t think the injury will cause us too much Payne.

We have bigger and taller dudes and gals moving quicker and faster all the time. The predisposition thing is so much more of a part of it than it gets credit for.
Absolutely. I've had orthopedists tell me the same. Another aspect I forgot about before is muscle development in young and still growing athletes. Many doctors and therapists told me that overdeloped quads and undeveloped hamstrings play a role in knee ligament tears. It's why you see a lot of them in football players and girls soccer.

From experience, feel awful for Fox and Ihnen. It's very difficult emotionally at that age.

Didn’t say the U was harder than Stanford. It is harder than Houston and Texas Tech and we don’t just allow all athletes in like they do. That does matter and it wouldn’t fit what Ben wants anyways. It’s why he’s a fit for the job here, but not at other places. He cares and requires solid academics.
Understood you were not talking Stanford. Gigantic gap between us and Stanford. In fact we are closer to Houston and TT in comparison . Love how Ben has a plan built on high character and it is known which programs this staff loves.

Understood you were not talking Stanford. Gigantic gap between us and Stanford. In fact we are closer to Houston and TT in comparison . Love how Ben has a plan built on high character and it is known which programs this staff loves.

If you're talking academics, not sure that's actually true. Stanford is #6 in the US News rankings, the U of M is #68, while Houston is #179 and Texas Tech #213.

The day is coming where someone is going to figure out how to replace ACL and UCL ligaments with something that won't tear. Then there will be a debate on whether these synthetic ligaments are performance enhancers.....
Would be an interesting debate, but to me it is a pretty obvious no unless you want to define "less risk of injury" as "performance enhancing".

A ligament does not generate force, as a muscle does. It just holds bones together. So if you plant the wrong way and/or land the wrong way, and too much twisting/torque gets applied (trying to twist your femur apart from your lower leg bones - tibia?), that snaps the ligament(s). I think it's purely based on genetics, and probably wear over time, as to what the threshold is. Can also be partial tears (sprains) vs ruptures (complete tears).

Didn’t say the U was harder than Stanford. It is harder than Houston and Texas Tech
This is true for general student body. You are falsely trying to apply that to athletes. Wrong

and we don’t just allow all athletes in like they do.
False.

There are only a handful of DI schools that actually place limitations on who their coaches can bring into the school, in terms of their academic performance. Stanford, and the Ivy's, are probably true.

Absolutely false for the U, and any other public school in the country. They have huge student bodies, and letting in even a few hundred underperformers won't move the needle on their incoming class's numbers.

You're just wrong and don't know what you're talking about.

There aren't that many schools that successful in sports that have elite academics, Mich, Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia, are the ones I can think of. A few others like Texas, Ohio St , UCLA are a little bit tougher but many you can lump in with the likes of Minnesota, places like Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Penn St, Florida, Texas A&M, etc..

A few others like Texas, Ohio St , UCLA are a little bit tougher but many you can lump in with the likes of Minnesota, places like Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Penn St, Florida, Texas A&M, etc..
Every single one of these schools, allows their coach to get any player they want, so long as meeting NCAA DI minimum standards, admitted to the school. Zero question.

This is true for general student body. You are falsely trying to apply that to athletes. Wrong

False.

There are only a handful of DI schools that actually place limitations on who their coaches can bring into the school, in terms of their academic performance. Stanford, and the Ivy's, are probably true.

Absolutely false for the U, and any other public school in the country. They have huge student bodies, and letting in even a few hundred underperformers won't move the needle on their incoming class's numbers.

You're just wrong and don't know what you're talking about.
Dude, I hear this from actual people who’ve coached in programs here. Can coaches ask for waivers? Yes. Do they automatically get approved here? No they don’t. TT or Houston would take a kid with a ACT score of 14/15 and 2.3 grade point average. That kid wouldn’t be a guarantee to get in here on a coaches waiver. Our admissions and compliance department are crazy here because they can’t get over the 98 academic scandal. I’m not wrong and I do know what I’m talking about. Get over yourself and choose to disagree and not believe me, but don’t tell me what I do and do not know

Last edited:

Top Bottom