Is This Ben's Best Ever July Roster?

Is This Ben's Best Ever July Roster?

• Total voters
JOJ's last season with the Gophers will always be a mystery to me. Maybe he's just not that good.

Obviously he has talent and we saw multiple displays of that. At times, he could be a very good scorer and offensive rebounder. I don't know why he didn't work out here. I would guess that he didn't play a complete game often enough, or wasn't focused enough, or didn't take coaching well but that's only speculation. Definitely could have used another talented player in the rotation in the latter part of the season.

He will probably play 8 guys on regular basis. Maybe 9 and 10 depending on game situation and foul trouble. How do you keep that many guys happy? The answer is you don't. But I guess with this player movement that happens, they know what they are signing up for. Big year for Coach Ben, if things fall apart sayonara.

Yeah Payne and Christie never played...did you watch any games at all last year or are you just throwing out BS to fill your narrative?
I saw them struggling to get playing time early on. I saw people complaining Payne and Christie were in the bench. I saw inconsistent play from them when they did get in. That adds up to a coach who was reluctant to give them regular playing minutes.

Betts is the massive wild card in this group. Being surrounded by a bunch of experienced guys should help him continue to develop. If he takes a big step up in play he could be a difference maker for this squad. Easy to give up on him based on what he has done over his first 2 years but he is young enough that a breakout could still happen. Would be awesome for everyone involved if this was the year he did.
Have the posters who comment positively on Betts actually seen him play? I saw nothing last season to make me optimistic. So are you guys seeing him in practice, or what?

Have the posters who comment positively on Betts actually seen him play? I saw nothing last season to make me optimistic. So are you guys seeing him in practice, or what?
In games last year he looked athletic and had some tools but he was forcing up shots attempting to gain playing time. I think he has the ability.

Have the posters who comment positively on Betts actually seen him play? I saw nothing last season to make me optimistic.
I didn't either but, in fairness, we didn't see him much. Maybe next season we'll have a better idea of his abilities.

I didn't either but, in fairness, we didn't see him much. Maybe next season we'll have a better idea of his abilities.
No one here has any idea if he will be a decent player. Odds are he won’t be since he’s could not get on the floor for a mediocre team, but it’s possible he could surprise

Coaches have had some good things to say about him and he is still a young player. No guarantees he will pan out which is why I view him as a wild card. If Betts breaks out in a big way it makes things interesting but all we can do is wait and see what happens when the take the court in 24-25.

Coaches have had some good things to say about him and he is still a young player. No guarantees he will pan out which is why I view him as a wild card. If Betts breaks out in a big way it makes things interesting but all we can do is wait and see what happens when the take the court in 24-25.
3rd year in the program... He better flash some B1G ability against legit competition

He better?
Or what?
Are you going to send him back to High School?
If he's taking up a roster spot he better be able to play, especially after 3 years under this coach and his guidance... If Ben is worth any salt as a coach and developer of talent that is...

L
If he's taking up a roster spot he better be able to play, especially after 3 years under this coach and his guidance... If Ben is worth any salt as a coach and developer of talent that is...
Like us OLD coaches say,
"You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!"

Development can and does take time with players. Happens all the time where a player doesn't make an impact until their 3rd/4th/5th year in college.

This has been overshadowed some by the transfer portal where you can now bring in guys that developed somewhere else, but it doesn't change the fact that they still needed that development time to reach their full potential.

Ideally Betts makes an impact this year.....if he doesn't it certainly might be time to pull the plug and consider him a bust but the coaches will be a much better judge of that than any of us because they can see first hand how he is progressing and what kind of trajectory he is likely on.

This roster will be better. Why? Stronger on D, rebounding, much more experience and maturity, depth and versatility. That may or may not translate into more W’s.

At the very least, it appears this squad will rebound better which should give them more opportunities to score. Doesn’t look like it will shoot as well from beyond the arc with the loss of Christie. That being said, Patterson and Cochran are about 35% from three. Looking forward to seeing Frank Mitchell play. Would be fantastic if he plugged right in. I keep forgetting about Fox, Rigsby, Asuma. I’ve done a 180 since the addition of Cochran. Ben is going to have his hands full with all these guys that have seen lots and lots of minutes elsewhere. Hope it works out.

At the very least, it appears this squad will rebound better which should give them more opportunities to score. Doesn’t look like it will shoot as well from beyond the arc with the loss of Christie. That being said, Patterson and Cochran are about 35% from three. Looking forward to seeing Frank Mitchell play. Would be fantastic if he plugged right in. I keep forgetting about Fox, Rigsby, Asuma. I’ve done a 180 since the addition of Cochran. Ben is going to have his hands full with all these guys that have seen lots and lots of minutes elsewhere. Hope it works out.
They all knew what they were getting into. No sympathy for them if they don’t get court time they think. I’m assuming, of course, that Ben is a just man who doesn’t play favorites. The benefit of being on the hot seat is you play to win now and not prepping for an unknown future. Of all seasons this is the one to play the best combinations.

They all knew what they were getting into. No sympathy for them if they don’t get court time they think. I’m assuming, of course, that Ben is a just man who doesn’t play favorites. The benefit of being on the hot seat is you play to win now and not prepping for an unknown future. Of all seasons this is the one to play the best combinations.
The cream always rises to the top. We all assume that Garcia, MMJr and Fox will get their minutes based on what we saw last season. The rest will have to show their stuff in practice and, based on that, the PT will be distributed. Earn it or sit and enjoy the view from the best seat in the house.

Doesn’t look like it will shoot as well from beyond the arc with the loss of Christie.

This past season the Gophers ranked #50 in D1 (2nd to Purdue in the Big Ten) for Effective Field Goal Percentage and #63 in True Shooting Percentage (3rd in the conference behind Purdue and Illinois; our relatively poor free throw shooting (#295) dropped the ranking for this measure of shooting below the other one). So, I'd guess the odds are that we won't shoot quite as well. We do have a fair number of decent shooters on the team. Unfortunately, we still have multiple poor free throw shooters who likely will combine for a good amount of minutes.

This past season the Gophers ranked #50 in D1 (2nd to Purdue in the Big Ten) for Effective Field Goal Percentage and #63 in True Shooting Percentage (3rd in the conference behind Purdue and Illinois; our relatively poor free throw shooting (#295) dropped the ranking for this measure of shooting below the other one). So, I'd guess the odds are that we won't shoot quite as well. We do have a fair number of decent shooters on the team. Unfortunately, we still have multiple poor free throw shooters who likely will combine for a good amount of minutes.
Yeah, team is going to have some warts, but all things considered seems as if Ben did a decent job this off season. Heck, I’m sure if I were a UConn fan I would find things to whine about. Really, really appreciate that he didn’t stop getting players this off season.

Really, really appreciate that he didn’t stop getting players this off season.

Amen! I'm still very surprised that he filled that 13th scholarship. I didn't expect that at all and he used it on a fine recruit. I think this offseason gave us some confidence that 1) Ben is learning and 2) players want to play for Ben & Co despite their meager record of success to date.

As much as it hurts when one of our big guys misses one or both free throws, remember someone on the other team picked up a foul.

We have three bad free throw shooters on the roster:

Edmunds, Frank Mitchell and Odukale are all in the 50% or worse range. It is pretty hard to have more than one of them on the court at a time. Betts, we have no data on so I would hope he can shoot FTs.... Maybe one or more of the three mentioned gets better at it??

We have three bad free throw shooters on the roster:

Edmunds, Frank Mitchell and Odukale are all in the 50% or worse range. It is pretty hard to have more than one of them on the court at a time. Betts, we have no data on so I would hope he can shoot FTs.... Maybe one or more of the three mentioned gets better at it??

Fox isn't very good either although sometimes he surprises.

Fox isn't very good either although sometimes he surprises.
True- I forgot about that and that's bad because all four of our weak FT shooters are in the 6-7 to 6-11 range. That leaves Garcia, Grove and Betts as the other guys with size for late game situations and only Garcia is a proven player.

Top Bottom