Is the U building a case to fire Richard Pitino 'I hope thay want me to stay' he says

Of course they are building a case against him. They want him gone.

This is a freaking joke!! I am pretty pissed off about this whole BS budget thing.
Some of us who actually follow the program new this would be a rough year. We also know that this coming year was going to be a lot different with NCAA tournament chances. So now we are trying to piss of Pitino and fire him? WTF is wrong with people.. Pitino leaves so does Coffey and now we miss out on another freaking great class next in Minnesota this makes no freaking sense.

Why we still taking about the 3 some who gives a **** kids enjoying themselves.. No assault no rap they taped maybe the girl wanted it taped.. Kids can't have sex?? Oh no they had sex!! He'll watch any TV show there is sex on TV every night. There was zero charges..

There was no history with Lynch... He might not even be charged who knows let it play out. His uncle is one of the all time greats kevin lynch one of the classy guys ever on campus.. U really think people thought different of Reggie before this ? No u say this kid has a great family background.

Would not be fired for this alone, it would be for the total failure that he has been. Has any coach in conference history followed up a trip to the NCAA tourney and a win in such tourney by the previous coach with such a awful 3 year performance ? Was in favor of moving on from Tubby but this was a bad hire.

We weren't awful his first season here. We were a tourney team if Andre doesn't get undercut by Gasser and hurt his ankle. We lost 3 starters from the previous season as well. Pitino would have been a rockstar if he brought a Big Ten team to the tourney at the ripe old age of 31.

BOTH. And UCLA as well. Some of us are college basketball fans. Do large amounts of money over 40 years count ? Or is it a homer contest where putting someone down is the game.
I found your mug shot in a Google search.
fcc7464c838efceeb22835ff4df0298b.jpg

A really interesting interview. She asked tough questions and as usual, he answered them very truthfully and candidly with the appropriate level of humility. The answer about him feeling uncomfortable about having money being talked about is a very candid and appropriate answer. That has to be tough. People can criticize him for a lot of things, but he has never once acted entitled, backed away from criticism or passed the buck. Obviously proof is in the results and talk is just that, talk, but gosh I want him to succeed here. I worry that we are approaching a point of no return with the way fans are reacting to him, and the constant labeling of "Little Ricky" is belittling him and similar to people calling the Vikings the Viqueens when they lose (as if that is supposed to be a "zinger"!). He didn't ask for his name to be similar to that of his Dad's. Obviously his last name got him this job, but he has openly admitted that many times. But back to the point of no return...I really feel that the fan and media reaction to this plane/car rental thing is just amazing and way overblown. I can only imagine what his Dad must be saying behind the scenes, but good for him for dealing with it head on.

Time to stay out of the news for the next few months, recruit like heck for 2017 and develop the guys over the summer. This upcoming season could be a lot of fun.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, you nailed it. Perfectly stated.

Frankly, I am so sick and tired of every little tid bit being a federal case. U of Minn will never win big and consistently until the attitude towards athletics changes. I am sure Pitino recognizes the mistakes he has made and I would bet will work his ass off to not make them again.

I want him to win here as well. I feel like he can't win here, and no one can. For a variety of reasons.

The point of no return has been happening for a long, long time at the U. Minn bares it soul and asks to be punished. UNC has 100X the severity of cheating and they build walls to keep the enforcement out.

Incredibly sad, imo.

A really interesting interview. She asked tough questions and as usual, he answered them very truthfully and candidly with the appropriate level of humility. The answer about him feeling uncomfortable about having money being talked about is a very candid and appropriate answer. That has to be tough. People can criticize him for a lot of things, but he has never once acted entitled, backed away from criticism or passed the buck. Obviously proof is in the results and talk is just that, talk, but gosh I want him to succeed here. I worry that we are approaching a point of no return with the way fans are reacting to him, and the constant labeling of "Little Ricky" is belittling him and similar to people calling the Vikings the Viqueens when they lose (as if that is supposed to be a "zinger"!). He didn't ask for his name to be similar to that of his Dad's. Obviously his last name got him this job, but he has openly admitted that many times. But back to the point of no return...I really feel that the fan and media reaction to this plane/car rental thing is just amazing and way overblown. I can only imagine what his Dad must be saying behind the scenes, but good for him for dealing with it head on. Time to stay out of the news for the next few months, recruit like heck for 2017 and develop the guys over the summer. This upcoming season could be a lot of fun. Go Gophers!!

Semantics, but the author was Rand, not Amelia. I doubt Pitino will be granting her an interview any time soon :)

Frankly, I am so sick and tired of every little tid bit being a federal case. U of Minn will never win big and consistently until the attitude towards athletics changes. I am sure Pitino recognizes the mistakes he has made and I would bet will work his ass off to not make them again.

I want him to win here as well. I feel like he can't win here, and no one can. For a variety of reasons.

The point of no return has been happening for a long, long time at the U. Minn bares it soul and asks to be punished. UNC has 100X the severity of cheating and they build walls to keep the enforcement out.

Incredibly sad, imo.

Agreed. I mean ripping on plane travel in context to salaries and TV contracts,? What if the plane trips less than 200 miles were Pitino trying to squeeze in one addition game to watch in a long day? Is he paid extra to work an 18 hour day? Of course not he's on salary but it might be just as easy to quit a day after 8 or 6 hours or 12 because he is salary-works both ways.

Semantics, but the author was Rand, not Amelia. I doubt Pitino will be granting her an interview any time soon :)

Definitely not semantics. It was actually the first thing I noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given all the talk about firing Pitino, especially in the local press, I would not be surprised if he bolted if he strings together two strong years, possibly one or two NCAA appearances. Thats how these things tend to work out. I am a pretty big Pitino fan and really hope it works out.

A really interesting interview. He asked tough questions and as usual, he answered them very truthfully and candidly with the appropriate level of humility. The answer about him feeling uncomfortable about having money being talked about is a very candid and appropriate answer. That has to be tough. People can criticize him for a lot of things, but he has never once acted entitled, backed away from criticism or passed the buck. Obviously proof is in the results and talk is just that, talk, but gosh I want him to succeed here. I worry that we are approaching a point of no return with the way fans are reacting to him, and the constant labeling of "Little Ricky" is belittling him and similar to people calling the Vikings the Viqueens when they lose (as if that is supposed to be a "zinger"!). He didn't ask for his name to be similar to that of his Dad's. Obviously his last name got him this job, but he has openly admitted that many times. But back to the point of no return...I really feel that the fan and media reaction to this plane/car rental thing is just amazing and way overblown. I can only imagine what his Dad must be saying behind the scenes, but good for him for dealing with it head on.

Time to stay out of the news for the next few months, recruit like heck for 2017 and develop the guys over the summer. This upcoming season could be a lot of fun.

Go Gophers!!

Super post. I too want him to succeed very badly and not just because he's the Gophers' coach. By all accounts he's doing things the right way and hasn't deserved many of the things that have befallen him.

Given all the talk about firing Pitino, especially in the local press, I would not be surprised if he bolted if he strings together two strong years, possibly one or two NCAA appearances. Thats how these things tend to work out. I am a pretty big Pitino fan and really hope it works out.

Gosh, that would be awesome. No huge buyout. An NCAA birth or two. And we get rid of Lil' Rickey.

Curious, what make you a fan of Pitino? Especially coming off the worst year in Gopher BB history.

Gosh, that would be awesome. No huge buyout. An NCAA birth or two. And we get rid of Lil' Rickey.

Curious, what make you a fan of Pitino? Especially coming off the worst year in Gopher BB history.

Give it a rest Patrick. With whom do you want to replace him?

I think if we "get rid of Lil' Rickey" we'll live to regret it. We may have had the worst year in Gopher BB history last year, but we were becoming competitive as the season went on with a very young team and without a front court other than freshman Jordan Murphy. We have what appears to be some very good players in the wings. Unfortunately, Reggie Lynch may not end up being one of them, but I hope he is, if he deserves it. In any event, I see a bright future. To be sure, Coach Pitino is learning on the job at our expense and there is an obvious need to deal with off court behavior, but I personally think he can grow into the job. Some day I think he is going to be a very successful coach. Perhaps Mark Coyle will be able to make a grand slam hire to accelerate our progress, and that would be great, but that's unlikely to happen for a year or two, if at all. In the meantime, I think we need to give Pitino a chance to prove himself next year. I'm hopeful that he can do it.

Incredibly sad, imo.

I think a great majority of hard core fans really want Pitino to succeed at the U. It is a shame that the negative voices are the loudest.

Richard has quite a few good qualities that can make him an excellent coach. He has fallen into some tough times, much of it self imposed, but the team has a bright future. It will be fun to watch all of the trolls scurry off and hide when the team succeeds next year. Not a single troll will man up and admit they were wrong.

I guess we know for sure how the local media feels about Pitino. I'm inclined to do the opposite of what they think. It seems very personal and it may not be toward Richard so much as it is toward Teague. Like they're connecting dots of the rape allegation and boudoir performance on social media to Teague's lack of "moral turpitude." Teague was also criticized for his spending. I wonder if these attacks will backfire and actually gain some sympathy for Pitino. He's definitely met it head on and said all the right things.

This whole thing is embarrassing. We so desperately want a winning program, but when our head coach puts in extra time and work on the recruiting trail (and gets results) we crucify him for it? Even though it was all approved spending? Asinine.

"Hey Richard, please get our program to the top of the Big Ten, but don't spend too much time recruiting!" The fact that the article was written in embarrassing, and the way our fans are reacting is embarrassing. Until the media and our fan base change their tune and treatment of the program, we'll never be anything more than a low-mid level Big 10 program cycling through new coaches every 4/5 years.

I can't believe I am saying, "I heard" but I did hear from someone within the university on the periphery of sports shortly after NT was canned that there was a movement within the U (not necessarily in athletics) to purge the department of anyone directly connected to him, which would include both basketball coaches and a number of administrators. All who who were in the conversation agreed that a strategy like that would be totally unjust to all involved. It will be interesting to know who had the expense story placed on the front page and who is leading the mob going after Pitino. As I have indicated earlier, this feels way too personal to me, and as an outside observer, I can't see anything to pound on him on a personal level. He's always been a straight shooter and never ducked questions and at least as a public person seems like a likable guy. I think the internal anonymous headhunting is really low brow. If they think he's a crappy coach, fine. Say it and own it, but this chipping and trying to create a tidal wave is unprofessional.

Interesting, Holy Man. I think it's safe to say that there is an anti-Pitino faction within the U, but it's hard to know how powerful or influential they are...or even all the reasons they oppose him. I agree, though, that canning him now would be a foolish thing to do and set the program back rather than take it forward.

I can't believe I am saying, "I heard" but I did hear from someone within the university on the periphery of sports shortly after NT was canned that there was a movement within the U (not necessarily in athletics) to purge the department of anyone directly connected to him, which would include both basketball coaches and a number of administrators. All who who were in the conversation agreed that a strategy like that would be totally unjust to all involved. It will be interesting to know who had the expense story placed on the front page and who is leading the mob going after Pitino. As I have indicated earlier, this feels way too personal to me, and as an outside observer, I can't see anything to pound on him on a personal level. He's always been a straight shooter and never ducked questions and at least as a public person seems like a likable guy. I think the internal anonymous headhunting is really low brow. If they think he's a crappy coach, fine. Say it and own it, but this chipping and trying to create a tidal wave is unprofessional.

Have to believe that something like this would have to be coming from Kaler, or someone high up in his office. If he (they) want Pitino gone, he should have had the balls to do it before he hired an AD. And the same can be said if any regents are behind it.

This whole thing is embarrassing. We so desperately want a winning program, but when our head coach puts in extra time and work on the recruiting trail (and gets results) we crucify him for it? Even though it was all approved spending? Asinine.

"Hey Richard, please get our program to the top of the Big Ten, but don't spend too much time recruiting!" The fact that the article was written in embarrassing, and the way our fans are reacting is embarrassing. Until the media and our fan base change their tune and treatment of the program, we'll never be anything more than a low-mid level Big 10 program cycling through new coaches every 4/5 years.

There are a lot of people on social media complaining about the "wasted money" with the flights and rental car gas, and then these same people calling for him to get fired right away. The "wasted money" in these articles would be nothing compared to the $7 million buyout.

There are a lot of people on social media complaining about the "wasted money" with the flights and rental car gas, and then these same people calling for him to get fired right away. The "wasted money" in these articles would be nothing compared to the $7 million buyout.

What, you expect logic?

Give it a rest Patrick. With whom do you want to replace him?

We could look to one of the 12 B1G coaches who finished above him in the standings last year.

I agree that the skewering him based on approved spending is silly. That said, when you have a historically bad year on the court, and an equally humiliating year off the court, fans/media are going to look for reasons to criticize you. If Pitino had gone 16-2 instead of 2-16, the fans/media would be going out of their way to make excuses for his shortcomings. If he makes the tournament this next year, he should expect (and receive) a much friendlier media and fan base. If next year's team is anywhere near as pathetic as the crap we got this year, look for the cheap shots to keep on coming.

We could look to one of the 12 B1G coaches who finished above him in the standings last year. I agree that the skewering him based on approved spending is silly. That said, when you have a historically bad year on the court, and an equally humiliating year off the court, fans/media are going to look for reasons to criticize you. If Pitino had gone 16-2 instead of 2-16, the fans/media would be going out of their way to make excuses for his shortcomings. If he makes the tournament this next year, he should expect (and receive) a much friendlier media and fan base. If next year's team is anywhere near as pathetic as the crap we got this year, look for the cheap shots to keep on coming.

I agree that 2-16 was very hard to take but everyone predicted we would finish in the bottom 4 of the big ten. It's over and now and we need to look toward next season which we were told would be a big leap forward. If it's not then Pitino will be fired. But if it is a big leap last year will be worth it IMO.

It is harder to recruit for Minnesota (especially if you have a long history of losing) in basketball where you have a dozen or so scholarships to fill. You have to cover longer distances in a short time span to reach recruits than tOSU or any of the ACC/SEC schools.

You want to remain competitive, you have to recruit hard and smarter. I take Richard Pitino's word that the cost over run on trips where all approved.

Mark Coyle seem to be the type of guy that is proactive and who will take an objective view based on facts. Maybe the travel budget is a bit unrealistic, but need to be reign in.

He wants Minnesota sports teams to win now, not in another fifty years. This is especially for the revenue generating ones. Like he has said in the pressers - recruiting is everything. That is what all the winning programs he has been involved with have in common. But, you have to do it the right way. If you need to spend more money in recruiting, so be it. I don't want to wait until senility get the better of me before we win B1G championships.

I think he (Coyle) will fix the player issues in short order, and will give Richard Pitino the full support he needs at least this season on a short leash. If he does not show improvements in victories, he may be gone after next season.

Players raping and disrespecting women, group sex, drugs, etc.. is not what the alumni, the boosters, and the general public want to hear about their flagship sports teams. This one is on Richard Pitino for lack of control of his players. There has to be a dramatic culture change that do not promote such behaviors.

It may hurt the program in the short run, but it may take dismissing a few bad apples if necessary from the various teams for the kids to take notice that we do not tolerate such behaviors.

You can bet that Mark Coyle will make it loud and clear to all the athletes and coaches what is expected.

There has to be a strict policy on the use of social media - that what you put out in public to have to be mindful that you can lose your scholarship. You represent the University Of Minnesota, you have to be accountable at all times.

Top Bottom